Durabrand dvd players going up in flames

enough

Oct 24, 2009, 3:41:51 PM10/24/09

Al

Oct 24, 2009, 5:24:10 PM10/24/09
On Oct 24, 3:41 pm, enough <blinkingblyth...@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml09/09335.html

So far the failure rate is 1:300,000. Be careful everybody. Danger
lurks.

RichA

Oct 24, 2009, 7:13:17 PM10/24/09

$40 DVD players are a waste of money. They don't even last a year,
their output is TRASH.

Message has been deleted

Michael Black

Oct 25, 2009, 11:28:54 AM10/25/09

That's funny. My cheap DVD player is now six years old, and is working
fine. I might buy a more expensive one if it broke down, having a better
feel for what's needed and more important I now know that I want to have a
DVD player around, when back then I was hesitant.

On the other hand it probably will last forever, since I pulled a DVD
recorder out of a recycling bin back in June, and after a bit of
adjustment it works find. That too had to be cheap.

Michael

enough

Oct 26, 2009, 3:59:28 PM10/26/09
I use Vlc to watch my DVDs. No locked controls or forced trailers

Greegor

Oct 26, 2009, 10:33:23 PM10/26/09
On Oct 26, 2:59 pm, enough <blinkingblyth...@gmail.com> wrote:
e >  I use Vlc to watch my DVDs. No locked controls or forced trailers

Does it have an HDMI output?

Frank Frank

Oct 28, 2009, 1:31:41 AM10/28/09

It's *software*. It does iff the host computer's video card does.

Ubiquitous

Oct 29, 2009, 1:04:26 PM10/29/09
blinking...@gmail.com wrote:

>http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml09/09335.html

Heh. Isn't that the same compnay that makes sawdust logs for fireplaces?

Anim8rFSK

Oct 29, 2009, 6:55:15 PM10/29/09
In article <w9GdnRowoMyGVnTX...@giganews.com>,
Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:

LOL

Duraflame

--
Stargate Universe SGU: It puts the "U" in "SUCKS"!
It's the show 'Defiling Gravity' would be if DG had more regulars,

Les Cargill

Oct 29, 2009, 11:56:18 PM10/29/09

+1

--
Les Cargill

enough

Nov 3, 2009, 11:59:56 PM11/3/09

RichA wrote:
> On Oct 24, 3:41 pm, enough <blinkingblyth...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml09/09335.html
>
> $40 DVD players are a waste of money. They don't even last a year,

I read about how some cheap portable CD players were being put
together with hot glue, and how they were ment not to last more than a
year.

Rod Speed

Nov 4, 2009, 2:01:33 AM11/4/09
enough wrote
> RichA wrote
>> enough <blinkingblyth...@gmail.com> wrote

>>> http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml09/09335.html

>> $40 DVD players are a waste of money. They don't even last a year,

> I read about how some cheap portable CD players were being put together with hot glue,

Makes sense with stuff no one ever repairs.

> and how they were ment not to last more than a year.

Mindlessly silly. There is nothing in a CD player where that approach is even possible.

Michael Black

Nov 4, 2009, 10:31:22 AM11/4/09

People get what they pay for. They seem to want cheap, so they shouldn't
be surprised when they get things that can't last long.

I paid $500 for my first printer, in 1982. Wasn't anywhere near letter
quality, was terribly slow, had no descenders, but hey it was pretty much
the only printer I could get for that little.

I paid $400 for my next one, in 1984, it was a daisywheel and gave me good
quality printing.

I then paid $300 for my second dot matrix printer in 1989, it was faster
than the first two, and did give near letter quality, so it let me do away
with the two previous printers.

Printers became a "necessity", people even thinking they had to have
color, so manufacturers started providing that "need". The lower the
price, the more they could sell, since people didn't want to pay hundreds
of dollars. So the prices dropped, and while mass manufacturing can drop
costs, one has to believe that they had to take steps to make it cheaper
to make.

Look at the first generation of anything. It's sturdy, lots of metal, and
big, and very very expensive. The price drops, more people buy, they cut
manufacturing costs, and it keeps cycling through until there's not much
metal in the unit, and it's dirt cheap.

If you pay hundreds of dollars for a printer, you expect it to last a long
time, and may be even willing to spend money on its repair.

When it's a few tens of dollars, you certainly won't pay much to have it
repaired (so then that even drops the manufacturer's incentive to make it
repairable, especially if making it throwaway makes it cheaper to make).
You also won't grumble when it fails, "oh, I only paid $30 for it". How
many inkjet printers get tossed because people decide it's better to buy a
new printer ("hey, I got a new printer, it's better than the last one")
than buy new ink cartridges for the old?

Those people have decided at what point something is cheap enough to throw
away, and they've decided that the best product is something cheap.

Michael

rincewind

Nov 8, 2009, 12:54:54 PM11/8/09

Mine's about three years old, still works fine, hasn't caught on fire.
Your logic is in doubt.

enough

Dec 13, 2009, 7:08:58 AM12/13/09
I still remember my old Star NX-1000 dot matrix printer. Used regular
typewriter style ribbon, worked great for generating hard copies of
command line output. Do they still make line printers these days?

Dave C.

Dec 12, 2009, 6:51:24 PM12/12/09

Do you have a credit/debit card receipt in your pocket? -Dave

Rod Speed

Dec 13, 2009, 1:44:16 PM12/13/09
enough wrote:

Yes, but you wont like the price.

Not clear what the command line output is about, thats got nothing
to do with the other question of how the printing is done physically.

Gene S. Berkowitz

Dec 13, 2009, 11:09:06 PM12/13/09
In article <20091213075124...@nohow.never>,
no...@nohow.never says...

Epson, Okidata, Tally Genicom (formerly Mannesman Tally) all
still make dot matrix impact printers. Star Micronics only makes
impact receipt printers. Their website says:

"The demand for dot matrix printers has remained somewhat steady
in the face of the growing popularity of thermal printers.
Besides costing less to operate, dot matrix printers offer some
features that are not available with thermal printers. Star
Micronics offers a wide variety of dot matrix printers to fit
nearly any application."

--Gene

Extravagan

Dec 14, 2009, 10:42:24 AM12/14/09
Gene S. Berkowitz wrote:
> In article <20091213075124...@nohow.never>,
> no...@nohow.never says...
>> On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 04:08:58 -0800 (PST)
>> enough <blinking...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I still remember my old Star NX-1000 dot matrix printer. Used regular
>>> typewriter style ribbon, worked great for generating hard copies of
>>> command line output. Do they still make line printers these days?
>> Do you have a credit/debit card receipt in your pocket? -Dave
>
> Epson, Okidata, Tally Genicom (formerly Mannesman Tally) all
> still make dot matrix impact printers. Star Micronics only makes
> impact receipt printers. Their website says:
>
> "The demand for dot matrix printers has remained somewhat steady
> in the face of the growing popularity of thermal printers.
> Besides costing less to operate, dot matrix printers offer some
> features that are not available with thermal printers.

Really? Name one.

AND LEARN TO TRIM THE F&*! CROSSPOST!

Gene S. Berkowitz

Dec 26, 2009, 10:27:29 PM12/26/09
In article <hg5mbp$al6$1...@aioe.org>, extra...@frogsoup.xelon.com
says...

Making multi-form dye-transfer ("carbon") copies that require
impact? Receipts in Braille? Thermally stable printing?

Oh, sorry, that was three.

--Gene