What type of cyclist are you?

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, Creator of the Movement of Tantra-Hammock

Aug 14, 2010, 11:15:57 AM8/14/10
Not all cyclists are created equal, of course, and some are "surviving
on sidewalks" (90% around here), some are flying by on carbon bikes
(the weekend warriors), and some are into UTILITY/FUN BICYCLING. I
think often the first two types are the archetypal image in the public
mind, and some of their vices vitiate the image of the whole cycling
community. How far from the truth, huh? The problem is compounded when
those at the top of the cycling chain, speak for all as if their
reality was the only reality. I remember someone who honestly said,
"I'm an elite rider, but not elitist." Big difference, huh?

There's some difference also in the utility-fun class itself. Some
people are happy with 1 mile of pavement and can do it 10 times, while
others want to make it to the market. Let's say the first is more
selfish oriented while the second is unselfish and it's committed to
saving the planet, etc.

Then there's another breed who stay indoors and get a workout without
"the stresses of the road." I hope things will change around here or I
may be forced to join the latter group...

"Spinning was born in 1987, when Jonathan Goldberg (a k a Johnny G), a
South African-born cyclist, was training for a cross-country bike
race. His wife was pregnant at the time, and he didn’t want to be away
for long stints. So he installed a handful of stationary bikes in his
garage, devised a training program to simulate outdoor terrain and
invited cycling buddies to join him.

... it was a workout for determined cyclists who wanted to train
without the perils of outdoor riding."

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/24/fashion/24Fitness.html

***

Oh, before I forget, I think the survivors should be sent to the road.
The sidewalk, of course, is for pedestrians.

THE WISE TIBETAN MONKEY SAYS

"Not all species are created equal but they all need space"

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, Creator of the Movement of Tantra-Hammock & the Stationary Bicycle to burn the calories

Aug 14, 2010, 12:47:11 PM8/14/10
On Aug 14, 9:20 am, "Tom" <t...@comcast.net> wrote:
> "His Highness the TibetanMonkey, Creator of the Movement of Tantra-Hammock &
> the Stationary Bicycle to burn the calories" <comandante.ban...@yahoo.com>
> wrote in messagenews:d72a100b-bf42-4436...@x25g2000yqj.googlegroups.com...
> There are 3 kinds of cyclist
> the first rides on safe trails and enjoys the day
> the second rides on highways dodging autos and creating unsafe conditions
> and the third are old enough to buy autos and enjoy traveling in comfort

The latter only produces a couch potato and feeds war, pollution, etc.

The second may lead to the revolution.

The first is neither good nor bad.

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, Creator of the Movement of Tantra-Hammock & the Stationary Bicycle to burn the calories

Aug 14, 2010, 2:01:54 PM8/14/10
On Aug 14, 9:53 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" <newstr...@frontiernet.net>
wrote:
> I'm the kind that won't use public roads. When we stop allowing blind or
> dead people to drive automobiles, I'll be happy to bike more often.

Blind and brain dead people are happy consumers of this society and
they must be pampered and aided by smart cars loaded with computers,
air bags and anti-lock brakes as well as armored SUVs.

Such is the fate of the roads out there.

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, Creator of the Movement of Tantra-Hammock

Aug 14, 2010, 3:31:21 PM8/14/10

On Aug 14, 11:33 am, "Timothy 1:4a" <canfanor...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I used to ride in the street and travel between cities on a bicycle.
> Once, thanks to a detour, I was riding on the Trans-Canada highway
> beside the trucks.
>
> Nowadays, I live in a car-friendly suburb and am forced to keep to the
> sidewalks :-( It's illegal, but the only safe place to be. I yield
> to pedestrians and go slow around them.

Welcome to the "Survivor's Club of North America"...

Yep, you are not alone. I've been there, done that, but it irritates
me that cars coming out of driveways block me pretending not to see
me, and it's not even safer, besides other safety issues like hitting
a pole head on. My girlfriend is a little clumsy and has fallen a
couple of times, one almost onto the road.

Have you considered a SPINNING BIKE? I've got a tremendous price on
one for under $300, and got another RECUMBENT for my partner for under
$100 (regular $200). I guess we can call this last club "Cyclists
Anonymous."