Opinions on dentist conduct

muzic...@yahoo.com

Sep 24, 2008, 11:50:11 AM9/24/08
I've been seeing a dentist - call him Dr. X - for about 3 years after
bad experiences with two prior DMO dentists. Dr. X is not a DMO
participant. I'd gotten a filling from him a number of years ago and
felt he was good and decided I'd be better off paying full freight for
a competent dentist than getting a DMO discount but getting shoddy
care, along with getting hit with a sales pitch for teeth whitening/
rotary toothbrushes/etc. every time I'd go in to these DMO dentists.

Right off the bat I ended up getting a root canal and crown from Dr. X
on a tooth that had decay despite seeing the previous (DMO) dentist
every 3 months due to supposed periodontal disease. I wasn't about to
give the business to the DMO guy, so made the transition before
getting the work done. Actually, it was originally supposed to just be
a crown, but when Dr. X got in there he asked if I'd had pain in the
tooth, which I hadn't, the reason being was he said decay had intruded
on the nerve. About $1400.

I've been seeing him for about 3 years or so, gotten a filling, twice
yearly exams and prophylaxis, and now just got another crown due to
decay around a filling another DMO dentist had done a number of years
ago, which leads to the problem I'm having.

I went for the second visit to get the permanent crown put in, during
which the Dr. was in the room for maybe a couple of minutes to have
the hygienist hand him the adjusted crown with bonding material
applied, he shoved it in, had me bite down on a cotton tube said to
hold it for a couple of minutes with a timer running, and he exited.
The hygienist cleaned off excess material and we were done.

At this point while still in the exam room I said I wanted to ask the
Dr. a question. I didn't realize he was going to duck out as quick as
he did. I was informed that the Dr. was busy in his office, but maybe
she could answer the question. This perturbed me somewhat. I wanted to
ask him about whether he thought I'd gain anything by replacing an
amalgam filling with a composite filling, since I didn't want to
repeat the crown experience. Since it was a specific technical
question I preferred to hear from the Dr. personally not his
assistant, who kept giving me answers that didn't reflect what I was
asking. "Yes, well we can set up an appointment to do this if you
want" I'm sure you *can* do it, what I want to know is if it would
help prevent decay around the filling.

He had just been in the room 3 minutes ago, he wasn't with a patient,
clearly he was going to see other patients who were there, it didn't
seem unreasonable to me that he could spend 2 - 3 minutes to
personally answer a question. I even clarified whether he was still in
the building. I asked her to go to his office and advise him I'd like
him to answer a question.

When she came back I got more deflecting responses. She didn't say
"he'll be out in a few minutes" (maybe he's in the John or whatever -
fine, I'd be willing to wait) the response was basically he wouldn't
be able to address my question.

Now I'm getting pissed. I've contributed probably $3000 over the last
several years to this mofo's vacation/retirement fund - about $1400
for a crown/ root canal - the need for the RC I'm of course going
solely on his word was needed, about $1000 for this crown - up about
$250 from the last one about 2 years ago, and numerous exams in
between and he's not available to answer a question when he's 100 feet
away in his office. WTF? He seemed okay when I first started going to
him - which is one of the reasons I've been going but it seems the
more money I spend the less cordial he gets. This was all paid up
front, not any payment plan.

I was now in the lobby area about to leave, I'm sure it was obvious I
was po'd - I wasn't yelling and swearing but did comment that I had
just spent a fairly large sum of money and was incredulous that he
"didn't have time" to answer a question. Shortly thereafter he walked
by on the other side of the counter from his office down the hall to
see a patient on the other end of the building. I asked that same
hygienist one more time if he could answer my question. Nope.

Basically as an afterthought one of the girls at the front desk said
she could take my number to have the Dr. call me. I gave her my number
(the one they have on file) and left.

He did call later in the day but nonetheless I'm left with a really
sour taste. I dunno, whaddya think? Do all dentists just take an "Now
I've got your money fuck you" attitude?

Mark & Steven Bornfeld

Sep 24, 2008, 12:09:18 PM9/24/08

No, they don't. I generally try to answer patients' questions while
they're there.
But there may have been an important call (maybe a nature call!) and
sometimes you're just behind.
The important thing is that he did return your call. Of course since
it's about the relative merits of a particular tooth, he may have to get
you back in to look--or could he answer your question over the phone?
Bottom line--if this dentist seemed OK in the past, I'd probably give
this one transgression a pass--but if he seems habitually rushed or
unavailable in the future, you either need a really good explanation, or
a new dentist.

JMO,
Steve

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com

Amatus Cremona

Sep 24, 2008, 12:14:17 PM9/24/08
Maybe he had beans and chili for lunch and could not get off the "throne"
and his staff was too embarrassed to tell you.

Give the person a 2nd chance. He did call you back and respond to your
concern didn't he?

Do you never return to a restaurant that you have had great meals at, if one
time, you get cold soup?

--
/

Amatus

/
<muzic...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

John Weiss

Sep 24, 2008, 2:13:48 PM9/24/08
<muzic...@yahoo.com> wrote...

> He had just been in the room 3 minutes ago, he wasn't with a patient,
> clearly he was going to see other patients who were there, it didn't
> seem unreasonable to me that he could spend 2 - 3 minutes to
> personally answer a question. I even clarified whether he was still in
> the building. I asked her to go to his office and advise him I'd like
> him to answer a question.
>
> When she came back I got more deflecting responses. She didn't say
> "he'll be out in a few minutes" (maybe he's in the John or whatever -
> fine, I'd be willing to wait) the response was basically he wouldn't
> be able to address my question.

I never had a dentist like that. Time to find another one.

Amatus Cremona

Sep 24, 2008, 3:03:19 PM9/24/08
By any chance was the assistant new?

--
/

Amatus

/
"John Weiss" <jrw...@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

Al Bundy

Sep 24, 2008, 4:35:11 PM9/24/08
On Sep 24, 11:50 am, muzicia...@yahoo.com wrote:

> He did call later in the day but nonetheless I'm left with a really
> sour taste. I dunno, whaddya think? Do all dentists just take an "Now
> I've got your money fuck you" attitude?

I don't think there's enough information for you to make a decision to
switch yet. My dentist would answer any reasonable question if I
wanted to wait for him to be free. Your question would not have taken
long to answer unless you are the kind of person that tends to be a
time waster and there's no indication of that. A good dentist
schedules his work time in units based upon the expected work. He
should include enough time for spot questions, especially when this
might evolve into more business for him. He might have been running
behind or had a tough situation in the back room. When he returned
your call he was more in a position to give you whatever time you
needed. I'd cut him some slack because the work is more important than
the chair side manner. Perhaps your complaint has to do more with the
staff than the dentist as they were running interference for him.

Mark & Steven Bornfeld

Sep 24, 2008, 4:58:50 PM9/24/08

Generally I agree. But the rushed feeling communicated is pretty much
what you go to a non-DMO dentist to avoid.

Amatus Cremona

Sep 24, 2008, 5:03:56 PM9/24/08
When I still had my old practice, there was one patient there who ALWAYS
would come in and ask a list of questions which would require I spend an
additional 30-40 minutes responding. This was a wonderful person who was
pleasant and kind. Just an extreme "question box". My staff eventually
would do everything in their power to keep me away from this person. I
would try to email this person during lunch or after hours to get the
questions answered. Otherwise, I would have been behind schedule the rest
of the day. And,,,,, some days do not allow the luxury of losing 30 minutes
in the middle of the day.

--
/

Amatus

/
"Mark & Steven Bornfeld" <bornfe...@dentaltwins.com> wrote in message

muzic...@yahoo.com

Sep 24, 2008, 5:46:52 PM9/24/08
On Sep 24, 12:09 pm, Mark & Steven Bornfeld
<bornfeldm...@dentaltwins.com> wrote:
> muzicia...@yahoo.com wrote:

> > Basically as an afterthought one of the girls at the front desk said
> > she could take my number to have the Dr. call me. I gave her my number
> > (the one they have on file) and left.
>
> > He did call later in the day but nonetheless I'm left with a really
> > sour taste. I dunno, whaddya think? Do all dentists just take an "Now
> > I've got your money fuck you" attitude?
>
>         No, they don't.  I generally try to answer patients' questions while
> they're there.
>         But there may have been an important call (maybe a nature call!) and
> sometimes you're just behind.
>         The important thing is that he did return your call.

He returned the call but it was only by luck that I happened to be
home. And a phone call wasn't his idea, it was that of his front desk
clerk. Had I not been home it would have been a matter of playing
phone tag assuming he would make subsequent efforts to follow up. He
also mentioned he was "between patients" - i.e. "I'm in a hurry" Had
he answered my question when I was there in the same building, it
would have been a moot point.

> Of course since
> it's about the relative merits of a particular tooth, he may have to get
> you back in to look--or could he answer your question over the phone?

The question was answerable over the phone, it was also answerable in
his office.

muzic...@yahoo.com

Sep 24, 2008, 5:58:19 PM9/24/08
On Sep 24, 5:03 pm, "Amatus Cremona" <Nic...@sottovocce.com> wrote:
> When I still had my old practice, there was one patient there who ALWAYS
> would come in and ask a list of questions which would require I spend an
> additional 30-40 minutes responding.  This was a wonderful person who was
> pleasant and kind.  Just an extreme "question box".  My staff eventually
> would do everything in their power to keep me away from this person.

When I'm paying what works out to about $500 - $750/hr up-front,
before the work is even completed - and with no expressed warranty on
how long the work is supposed to be good for - I don't have much
sympathy about them feeling I'm "wasting their time" with a couple of
questions.

muzic...@yahoo.com

Sep 24, 2008, 6:02:09 PM9/24/08
On Sep 24, 3:03 pm, "Amatus Cremona" <Nic...@sottovocce.com> wrote:
> By any chance was the assistant new?

No, they've been there for years. I think they're the "head hygienist"
or whatever you'd call them. It had nothing to do with their being new
or experienced, the Dr. was made aware I wanted to speak to him and
declined to do so.

Mark & Steven Bornfeld

Sep 24, 2008, 7:43:10 PM9/24/08
Amatus Cremona wrote:
> When I still had my old practice, there was one patient there who ALWAYS
> would come in and ask a list of questions which would require I spend an
> additional 30-40 minutes responding. This was a wonderful person who was
> pleasant and kind. Just an extreme "question box". My staff eventually
> would do everything in their power to keep me away from this person. I
> would try to email this person during lunch or after hours to get the
> questions answered. Otherwise, I would have been behind schedule the rest
> of the day. And,,,,, some days do not allow the luxury of losing 30 minutes
> in the middle of the day.

Yeah, I think most of us have had similar experiences. ;-)

Steven Fawks

Sep 24, 2008, 9:52:00 PM9/24/08
Well, I don't know you, I don't know the dentist involved, and
I don't know what was actually going on in the office that day.

I do know that I have a few patients that when I see their name
on the schedule, I know things are going to be tough. A routine
hygiene check can turn into a 30 minute discussion on 10 different
toothpaste formulations.

These patients obviously think they are asking legitimate questions
and just find ways to wreck any attempt at staying on time for the
rest of the day.

Even if this is not a true description of you, it may have been the
dentist's interpretation of who you represented.

Steve

Steven Fawks

Sep 24, 2008, 10:06:06 PM9/24/08

> When I'm paying what works out to about $500 - $750/hr up-front,
> before the work is even completed - and with no expressed warranty on
> how long the work is supposed to be good for - I don't have much
> sympathy about them feeling I'm "wasting their time" with a couple of
> questions.

Talented dentists are often in high demand. They also have limits on
how much they can deliver in any given day or week. That may be hard
for a particular patient to understand, but I have to deliver the
high quality care to every patient that comes in the office every day.

We are human.

One patient cannot intrude on my ability to fulfill my commitment to
the others.

BTW, you can always go back to the HMO dudes/dudettes.

Steve

The Real Bev

Sep 24, 2008, 10:29:28 PM9/24/08
Steven Fawks wrote:

> Well, I don't know you, I don't know the dentist involved, and
> I don't know what was actually going on in the office that day.
>
> I do know that I have a few patients that when I see their name
> on the schedule, I know things are going to be tough. A routine
> hygiene check can turn into a 30 minute discussion on 10 different
> toothpaste formulations.
>
> These patients obviously think they are asking legitimate questions
> and just find ways to wreck any attempt at staying on time for the
> rest of the day.

Have your staff book them in ONLY at the end of the day. Then while you
are answering questions "the girl" can be turning off the lights, etc.,
and reminding you that you have An Important Phone Call to make before 5:00.

OTOH, where is he going to get answers to those questions if not from you?

--
Cheers, Bev
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

The Real Bev

Sep 24, 2008, 10:59:26 PM9/24/08
Steven Fawks wrote:

>> When I'm paying what works out to about $500 - $750/hr up-front,
>> before the work is even completed - and with no expressed warranty on
>> how long the work is supposed to be good for - I don't have much
>> sympathy about them feeling I'm "wasting their time" with a couple of
>> questions.
>
> Talented dentists are often in high demand. They also have limits on
> how much they can deliver in any given day or week. That may be hard
> for a particular patient to understand, but I have to deliver the
> high quality care to every patient that comes in the office every day.
>
> We are human.

Hard to tell. Appointments used to mean that you'd get in to see the
doc/dentist within 5 or 10 minutes of the nominal time. Now you're
lucky if it's an hour. You'd have happier patients if they didn't have
to take an extra hour off work to sit in your waiting room.

When you (generic, not personal) book 4 patients at 8:15 and another 4
patients at 8:30, it's no wonder patients aren't willing to cut you much
slack. Yeah, I examined the sign-in sheet.

> One patient cannot intrude on my ability to fulfill my commitment to
> the others.
>
> BTW, you can always go back to the HMO dudes/dudettes.

A better solution for those who need a lot of work and/or live within
reasonable driving distance -- Los Algodones, Mexico. Just south of
Yuma. Prescription glasses too.

http://www.losalgodones.com/dental_index.htm

SIL and her husband recommend Connie Ayala. A group of us had a
humongous amount of dental work (crowns, implants, dentures, root
canals) done in a week by Jose Valenzuela. All told, an excellent
experience. I haven't had one of those since my GOOD dentist died about
10 years ago.

--
Cheers, Bev
"Is there any way I can help without actually getting involved?"

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 24, 2008, 11:29:13 PM9/24/08
On Sep 24, 9:59 pm, The Real Bev <bashley101+use...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Steven Fawks wrote:
> >> When I'm paying what works out to about $500 - $750/hr up-front,
> >> before the work is even completed - and with no expressed warranty on
> >> how long the work is supposed to be good for - I don't have much
> >> sympathy about them feeling I'm "wasting their time" with a couple of
> >> questions.
>
> > Talented dentists are often in high demand.  They also have limits on
> > how much they can deliver in any given day or week.  That may be hard
> > for a particular patient to understand, but I have to deliver the
> > high quality care to every patient that comes in the office every day.
>
> > We are human.
>
> Hard to tell.  Appointments used to mean that you'd get in to see the
> doc/dentist within 5 or 10 minutes of the nominal time.  Now you're
> lucky if it's an hour. You'd have happier patients if they didn't have
> to take an extra hour off work to sit in your waiting room.
>
> When you (generic, not personal) book 4 patients at 8:15 and another 4
> patients at 8:30, it's no wonder patients aren't willing to cut you much
> slack.  Yeah, I examined the sign-in sheet.

OMG!! Bev, you have hit the nail on the head!!! I never could
understand this sloppy, inconsiderate way of running an office whether
it's a doctor or a dentist. Is this what they teach in medical
school?? You've got the patient in your office, they need your
services, the hell with them their time is not important, stack about
4-8 in the office all with the same appointment time. I don't get
this arrogant attitude that the patient's time is not as important as
the doctors.

Perhaps it's because we are mere mortals?

muzic...@yahoo.com

Sep 25, 2008, 2:37:37 AM9/25/08
On Sep 24, 10:06 pm, Steven Fawks <tuthjoc...@myturbonet.com> wrote:
> > When I'm paying what works out to about $500 - $750/hr up-front,
> > before the work is even completed - and with no expressed warranty on
> > how long the work is supposed to be good for - I don't have much
> > sympathy about them feeling I'm "wasting their time" with a couple of
> > questions.
>
> Talented dentists are often in high demand.  They also have limits on
> how much they can deliver in any given day or week.  That may be hard
> for a particular patient to understand, but I have to deliver the
> high quality care to every patient that comes in the office every day.
>
> We are human.

I'm human too, and that means I don't care for the bum's rush from
someone I'm paying a lot of money.

> One patient cannot intrude on my ability to fulfill my commitment to
> the others.

I'm also one of the "others". Allowing time for inquiries on the part
of the patient are part of "fulfilling one's committment" for "high
quality care".

How many patients he crams his schedule with is discretionary. It
sounds like what you really mean is you don't want a patient to impede
your ability to get the cattle through the gate a$ quickly a$ po$
$ible. Screw their silly-ass questions.

> BTW, you can always go back to the HMO dudes/dudettes.

WTF kind of attitude is that? I'm paying what he's asking, it's not a
charity situation. I can see what mentality you're possessed of. You
don't give a fuck either.

Gee, hope you don't get sued or anything.

muzic...@yahoo.com

Sep 25, 2008, 3:05:29 AM9/25/08
On Sep 24, 9:52 pm, Steven Fawks <tuthjoc...@myturbonet.com> wrote:
> Well, I don't know you, I don't know the dentist involved, and
> I don't know what was actually going on in the office that day.
>
> I do know that I have a few patients that when I see their name
> on the schedule, I know things are going to be tough.  A routine
> hygiene check can turn into a 30 minute discussion on 10 different
> toothpaste formulations.
>
> These patients obviously think they are asking legitimate questions

If it's a question in their mind about their dental care it's a
legitimate question. If one honestly feels someone is burning up too
much time there are tactful ways to handle it. "I'm sorry, I really
need to get to another patient right now, but I do want to answer your
questions, so I tell you what, go ahead and write down your questions
and leave them at the front desk. As soon as I'm able I'll be happy to
call you or write to you to answer them."

Or something along those lines. Hiding in your office to avoid them
and refusing to address them or taking a dismissive attitude isn't on
the list of good ways to handle it. It may be on the list of a prick
who really doesn't give a shit and concerns themselves more with
spending as little time with each patient as possible than worrying
about whether they get their silly questions answered.

> and just find ways to wreck any attempt at staying on time for the
> rest of the day.

Yes, they're not asking questions because they want to understand
something, their motivation is obviously to wreck your schedule -
which is entirely of your making. With every sentence both in this
and your subsequent post you reinforce my impression of what you must
be like as a care provider if you are in fact a dentist. Maybe I'm
completely misreading what you're intending to convey, but I'm going
by the words you're choosing, which make you sound like an abrasive
prick. From some of the other answers, fortunately it appears yours is
not the only type of attitude one can expect, but certainly one to
avoid.

Dartos

Sep 25, 2008, 12:35:24 PM9/25/08

muzic...@yahoo.com wrote:
It may be on the list of a prick
> who really doesn't give a shit and concerns themselves more with
> spending as little time with each patient as possible than worrying
> about whether they get their silly questions answered.

IMO, that's a lot of what is happening in professional and service
businesses. You used to really 'know' your physician, dentist,
pharmacist, optomitrist, butcher, dry cleaner, shoe repairman, barber,
grocer, banker, mechanic, etc.

Now, you don't know them and they don't want to know you.

People wander around looking for an office, brand, or chain they
feel they can trust. Nothing is on a personal level any more.

With the internet, lot's of stuff happens now with zero personal
contact. Looks like the trend will just continue and likely get worse.

Old fogey rambling,

Dartos

Sep 25, 2008, 12:58:17 PM9/25/08

You seem a little edgy and easily offended.

Oh, I care. However, I see the other side of the issue as well as
the side you are presenting. I freely admit that this may have
been rude behavior that you did not deserve, but all we have is
your side of the story.

There is always the other side and the dentist isn't here to tell
his view on the subject.

Also, just because you pay your dental bill does not mean you 'own'
the dentist. I'm not at your beck and call. I will bend over
backwards to deliver comfortable, quality care and treat you
like I would like to be treated. Abuse that relationship from
your side, and things might change.

muzic...@yahoo.com

Sep 25, 2008, 5:07:19 PM9/25/08
On Sep 25, 12:58 pm, Dartos <tuthjoc...@myturbonet.com> wrote:
> You seem a little edgy and easily offended.

There's no question I'm not in a dentist lovin' frame of mind at the
moment, phrases like "Well, go back to the DMO dudes if you don't like
it" I believe to be coming from a severely wrong-minded mentality.

Oh wait, you and Fawks are one and the same, same e-mail, different
NNTP. Ah ha...

> Also, just because you pay your dental bill does not mean you 'own'
> the dentist. I'm not at your beck and call.

It doesn't make them my bitch, but it does mean I'm paying for
ownership of time, good-faith, honest application of skills and
consideration. You give someone money, you're supposed to get
something for it. I believe this goes beyond the technical application
of dentistry. I realize you're hypothesizing but I believe it would be
hyperbole to characterize my particular expectations as unreasonable.

I also believe it's possible that some people can fall into a mindset
where they see their customers as so many cash cows in the cattle gate
and their focus is going through the process as uninterrupted as
possible and the "peripheral" stuff becomes less of a consideration. I
didn't have 20 questions about toothpaste as someone else described, I
had a specific short, technical question. I believe wanting to be
informed is within the scope of reason. I have a somewhat technical
mind, some 80-year old grandma or housewife might not think of the
ramifications of a particular type of filling, I did.

They're in a particular circumstance where there's not a lot of
accountability. They don't have a boss to register a complaint with,
as I understand it the professional oversight groups are something of
a joke. Unless they really screw up there's no litigation option. I
found out later that one of the previous DMO dentists I had gone to
has a long-running rep in the area as being a hack, yet he's still in
business, which I've heard is a common tale with DMO dentists.

And once he's sitting on a healthy bankroll he may feel less
motivation to be that concerned. I don't know the guy outside of his
office, he may have been a prick all along and just hid it well.

And they're also in a position to milk the situation. They say you
need a root canal. I don't ever see any closeups of where the decay
has intruded on the root. Or how do I know he doesn't do a filling in
such a way as to promote future decay and a year or so down the road
"oopsie, you need a crown/root canal". *Cha-ching* All the while
people know them as good old Dr. X, he gets civic awards, is on the
city beautification committee, etc.

> I will bend over
> backwards to deliver comfortable, quality care and treat you
> like I would like to be treated. Abuse that relationship from
> your side, and things might change.

I don't find wanting to ask a question that would take 2 - 3 minutes
tops to resolve to be abusing a relationship or in any way overly
demanding. I believe well within reason to someone who's willing to
"bend over backwards" to treat his patients well.

Mark & Steven Bornfeld

Sep 25, 2008, 5:38:21 PM9/25/08

You sound quite reasonably peeved. Your expectations are in no way out
of line.
At the same time, I've known Dartos through his posting history here
for almost 10 years. There is not a chance in hell that you'd be
treated by him in the way you were treated in your recent dental
experience. By the same token, all of us (Dartos and I are near
contemporaries--we've both been doing this 30 years or more) have had
patients who just suck the life forces out of us. You may take comfort
that, just as there are patients who hate nothing more than the dental
experince, there are patients whose presence on the appointment provoke
instant diarrhea in the dental staff.
This is a great big world--there are good and bad people everywhere.
Try and find the good ones.

Steve

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Steven Bornfeld

Sep 26, 2008, 9:29:31 AM9/26/08
New...@bix.nex wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 21:38:21 GMT, Mark & Steven Bornfeld
> <bornfe...@dentaltwins.com> wrote:
>
>> This is a great big world--there are good and bad people everywhere.
>> Try and find the good ones.
>>
>> Steve
>

> Nope, they are all bad.
>
> Some are just not as bad as others.

Now you's got me a-scared.

Steve

Steven Fawks

Sep 26, 2008, 8:38:40 PM9/26/08

Wow, you're smart.

;-)
Steve

Simplicio

Sep 27, 2008, 12:11:50 PM9/27/08

This would make a great reading passage on the SAT's. The theme of
this passage is:
a) Courtesy is a professional must
b) Dentists shouldn't get civic awards
c) Litigation against dentists is never a good option
d) ......

The truth is that these days every time you get on the phone people
are rude. I've even had people just cut
me off when they don't like a particular question or I ask "too many
questions", (if I don't ask their name first). In one instance I need
a medical fax sent. The secretary said she sent it, I went to the fax
outlet, said they didn't get it. Asked the secretary to send it again,
said she would, went back to the fax outlet said they didn't get
it.called up the secretary a third time....finally next day she
admitted the fax lines were messed up going through the main
switchboard in the buildng and she had known, but it wasn't her
offices problem because the phone lines coming out of there office
were okay...she wasn't lying because she WAS "sending" the fax... Kids
are coming out of high schools and colleges, these days thinking that
this is normal and that is HOW you are supposed to do your job!

There was a time in the US when salespeople and professionals not only
were courteous but they feared the
consumer. I think that time is long gone. Utimately it is related to
the downfall of the middle class and salespeople
and professionals maybe not getting payed enough. On the other hand if
you've ever worked on an assembyline
type job and know how rude customers can be, and dentistry is an
assembly line, the fact the workers, such as
cashiers can be so rude without getting fired may be a thing to be
admired!

Mark & Steven Bornfeld

Sep 27, 2008, 12:16:34 PM9/27/08

That's REALLY looking on the bright side, Clinton!

tenthmed

Sep 28, 2008, 10:10:06 AM9/28/08
In 30 years, I've worked with, and for, a lot of different general
dentists. It has been my experience as a patient/consumer, that dentists
do not behave in this manner. This "take-it-or-leave it" attitude I have
only seen from some physicians and only from those who are such
esteemed, technical, specialists that they do indeed not "need" you, you
need them. The same thing has happened in pharmacy. Since the chains
have virtually eliminated the independent pharmacy, they can treat their
patients/customers about any way they want. Try getting a $4 Rx filled
at Wal-Mart and you will see this attitude. Go to an almost extinct
independent and you will get a whole different level of service

As far as assembly line goes, I have never seen this in dentistry. Most
offices are either a sole-proprietor or small-group model, hence there
is usually a close relationship with the individual patient. Also, the
nature of actually "doing" dentistry requires a close one-on-one
contact. Unfortunately medicine and pharmacy have for the most part
become "assembly-line".

Sure, some dentists don't like people, but the vast majority are people
persons.

In the late '70s, there was a glut of dentists flooding the dental
business, hence EVERY patient was extremely important to the dentist and
we went to extremes to please this patient in order to survive. It is
now the 21st century but I don't get the feeling that pleasing each and
every patient has been abandoned in favor of production. There is only
so much that an individual dentist can produce in a day.

However, some patients, no matter how hard one tries, are never
satisfied. Also, this particular dentist could be the proverbial
exception to the rule. This situation could be either one, or a
combination of both.

Why don't you again ask some local friends where they get their dental
work and if they are happy with their dentists. Maybe then you will be
able to find the clinician who best meets all of your
expectations/perceptions of quality and personal professional attitude.

Stormin Mormon

Nov 18, 2008, 9:04:55 AM11/18/08
I wasn't all that impressed with one of my former oral surgeon. He pulled a
tooth, dropped the tooth on the insturment tray, and immediately was out the
door of the treatment room. Less than one second after the tooth root
cleared my mouth, he was gone. Didn't see him for gosh knows how long after
that. And I did have a couple questions.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

<muzic...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

viet nam vet.

Nov 18, 2008, 4:43:27 PM11/18/08
In article <gfui52$d3r$1...@news.motzarella.org>,
"Stormin Mormon" <cayoung61**spamblock##@hotmail.com> wrote:

I read a book by a dentist a Dr. Macquire and he said most dentists are
so polluted by mercury that they are walking "Mad Hatters"/
They now must warn those preggers and mother's about Mercury.
They fought that for a long time.
so much for compassion.
Let's face it; they are into it for the bucks and a chance to inflict
pain.
--
When the Power of Love,replaces the Love of Power.
that's Evolution.

viet nam vet.

Nov 18, 2008, 4:45:30 PM11/18/08
In article <gfui52$d3r$1...@news.motzarella.org>,
"Stormin Mormon" <cayoung61**spamblock##@hotmail.com> wrote:

Oh, I forgot. there is a NG you might be interested in.

sci.med.dentistry

for a second opinion.