CDC instructions on how to make liquid tamaflu

zeez

Nov 12, 2009, 3:36:39 PM11/12/09
http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/antivirals/mixing_tamiflu_qa.htm

Questions & Answers
Opening and Mixing Tamiflu® Capsules with Liquids if Child Cannot
Swallow Capsules

October 28, 2009 2:00 PM ET
Is there a shortage of oral suspension (liquid) Tamiflu®?
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the maker of Tamiflu®
(Roche Adobe PDF fileExternal Web Site Icon) have said that available
supplies of liquid Tamiflu® for children are limited.
What is being done about this?
A pharmacist can make a Tamiflu® suspension (liquid) using available
Tamiflu® adult capsules, which are in not in short supply. CDC is
alerting pharmacists about this option and providing instructions on
how to prepare a suspension using adult capsules. Some pharmacies,
including some chains, can do this already, others are not yet
prepared. Children’s doses of Tamiflu® are also available in capsules.
What can I do if my child cannot swallow capsules?
If your doctor prescribes Tamiflu® capsules for your child and your
child cannot swallow capsules, the prescribed capsules may be opened
and mixed with a sweet thick liquid and given that way.
What liquids can I use?
A thick and sweet liquid, such as regular or sugar-free chocolate
syrup, that masks the flavor of the medicine can be mixed with the
contents of the Tamiflu® capsule. Sugar-free sweet liquids are
available. The child should consume the liquid mixture entirely.
If my child can’t swallow capsules, how do I open Tamiflu capsules and
mix the medicine?
Pour a small amount (about a spoonful) of sweet, thick liquid into a
cup or bowl. Carefully open the Tamiflu® capsule prescribed by your
doctor and pour out all of the powder inside the capsule and mix it
into the liquid. The exact amount of liquid used doesn’t matter, as
long as the powder inside the capsule is mixed in well. (All of the
medicine may not dissolve. Just be sure it is all well mixed.) Use
only the prescribed dose.
What will I need to do this?
You will need

* The prescribed Tamiflu® capsule
* A small bowl or cup and a spoon
* 1-2 Teaspoons of sweetened liquid

How do I mix the ingredients?

* Pour a small amount (about a spoonful) of a sweet thick liquid
into a cup or bowl.
* Holding one capsule over a small bowl, carefully pull the
capsule open and pour the complete contents of the capsule into the
bowl.
* Stir the mixture and give the entire dose to the child with a
spoon.

Should my child take all of the mixture?
Yes, make sure your child takes all of the medicine mixture.