getting cable internet, voip, wifi

Ohioguy

Oct 26, 2010, 7:00:48 AM10/26/10
I'm going to finally be 'upgrading' to cable internet, and will be
contacting Time Warner to sign up this week. I have very little
experience with networking, but I do like to play with PC hardware.
This time around, I'm hoping to avoid buying the wrong hardware for my
needs.

What I want in my setup is the ability to have multiple computers
hooked up using 802.11n, including adding a pad type or notebook
computer down the road if I want to. Up front, I need to have the
ability to hook up a telephone and use it without having any computers
on. I want to be able to use the telephone without interacting with any
software, without a PC on, and without having a local land line.

I think I have that part of the equation figured out, thanks to some
suggestions from Linux folks. Most folks thought I should buy these:

D-Link broadband VOIP router DVG-14025_L ~ $???

Cisco PAP2T-NA internet phone adapter with 2 ports ~$55

Trouble is, I'm not finding any place selling that actual D-Link
product. Plus, I'm not so sure it was 802.11n compatible anyway. I
really would like the router to be able to do wireless, in addition to
acting as an always on voip gateway for the Cisco adapter. I understand
I would need to register a phone line on something like sipgate.com, and
pay $20 a year plus some small fee to use that.

The problem right now is finding a 802.11n wireless router that would
work best with this setup. I don't want to end up "renting" something
that is less than ideal from the cable company, although I'm sure THEY
would love that.

Anyone have suggestions? Thanks!

Gordon

Oct 26, 2010, 2:20:33 PM10/26/10
Ohioguy <no...@none.net> wrote in news:Qxyxo.343$qg3...@newsfe14.iad:

OK,
The cable company will provide you with a Cable Modem/router.
If you want to buy your own, get a DOCSIS campatible cable
modem. It should come with wireless capability and 4 wired ports,
and the router functionality.
The input to the wireless router should be via a coax connector.
Most wireless routers that you see are Cat-5 to Cat-5 routers,
and don't have the cable modem. Again, look for the DOCSIS
compatibility.

The VoIP router is only half of your telephone solution. You
also need to have a service with a SIP provider. The SIP
provider provides the link between your VoIP box and the rest
of the Public switched telephone system. Kinda like an ISP
provides you with a connection to the rest of the internet.
BTW: If you are going with VoIP, don't get telephone service
through your cable Co. They charge too much. There are
several VoIP companies that are much cheaper. In my case,
I went with Phone Power, they provide a free ATA (Analog
Telephone Adapter) with their service.It's a box that
connects to your network on one side, and a standard
telephone on the other. No computer needed.
You can also buy handsets (telephones) that work directly
with Vonage. They connect to your network via Wi-Fi.
So they will always
Also there is a company called Ooma that sells an ATA that
works with standard telephones.
There are others. Google "VoIP providers" for a list.

Rod Speed

Oct 26, 2010, 2:43:11 PM10/26/10
Ohioguy wrote

> I'm going to finally be 'upgrading' to cable internet, and will be
> contacting Time Warner to sign up this week. I have very little
> experience with networking, but I do like to play with PC hardware.
> This time around, I'm hoping to avoid buying the wrong hardware for my
> needs.

> What I want in my setup is the ability to have multiple computers
> hooked up using 802.11n, including adding a pad type or notebook
> computer down the road if I want to. Up front, I need to have the
> ability to hook up a telephone and use it without having any computers
> on. I want to be able to use the telephone without interacting with
> any software, without a PC on, and without having a local land line.

> I think I have that part of the equation figured out, thanks to some
> suggestions from Linux folks. Most folks thought I should buy these:

> D-Link broadband VOIP router DVG-14025_L ~ $???

While that is a viable route, its not a particularly cheap approach.

And its actually a DVG-1402S, not a DVG-14025

> Cisco PAP2T-NA internet phone adapter with 2 ports ~$55

Thats whats used when the routers isnt a voip router, you dont need that with a voip router.

And some VSPs, the provider of the voip service, provide locked ATAs for peanuts, $5 with mine.

> Trouble is, I'm not finding any place selling that actual D-Link product.

Yeah, routers separated from the modem are much less common than modem/routers.

> Plus, I'm not so sure it was 802.11n compatible anyway.

Nope, its too old for that.

> I really would like the router to be able to do wireless, in addition to acting as an always on voip gateway for the
> Cisco adapter.

You dont need both, the cisco ATA is used when the router doesnt have voip capability.

> I understand I would need to register a phone line on something like
> sipgate.com, and pay $20 a year plus some small fee to use that.

There are some VSPs that dont require any annual or monthly fee.

> The problem right now is finding a 802.11n wireless router that would work best with this setup.

There are plenty of those if you dont need voip in the router and use an ATA to get voip, like that PAP2T-NA

> I don't want to end up "renting" something that is less than ideal from the cable company, although I'm sure THEY
> would love that.

> Anyone have suggestions? Thanks!

Just get a decent 802.11n wireless router and use an ATA like the PAP2T-NA to add the voip capability.

Which ATA you use depends on what capabilitys you want. Some want fancy PSTN
fallback for when then voip service isnt available like when the cable service drops out.

Its even possible to get routers with fallback to 3G wireless now, tho its hard
to justify the cost of those just for a voip service, you are going to blow a lot
on a fancy router like that and that will burn up the savings on voip for years.

Gordon

Oct 26, 2010, 2:49:41 PM10/26/10
Gordon <go...@alltomyself.com> wrote in

A short follow up.
Linksys makes the CM-100 cable modem that is DOCSIS compatible.
But, if you get that, you will also need the wireless router.
The CM-100 is just a modem, it has no router or wireless functionality.

I took a look at SIPgate. They look like a pretty good service
and they specificly mention the Linksys PAP2 ATA device.

Gary Heston

Oct 26, 2010, 8:07:32 PM10/26/10
In article <Qxyxo.343$qg3...@newsfe14.iad>, Ohioguy <no...@none.net> wrote:
[ ... ]

> I think I have that part of the equation figured out, thanks to some
>suggestions from Linux folks. Most folks thought I should buy these:

>D-Link broadband VOIP router DVG-14025_L ~ $???

[ ... ]

> Trouble is, I'm not finding any place selling that actual D-Link

>product. [ ... ]

That might be due to a couple of things; first, it's DVG-1402S (not 5).
The "L" suffix indicates it's bundled with Lingo VOIP service.

Second, according to:

http://www.superwarehouse.com/D-Link_Broadband_Phone_Service_VoIP_Router/DVG-1402S_L/p/459946

it's a discontinued product.

There appear to be a few available--but the price is (to me) steep:

http://shopper.cnet.com/routers/d-link-express-ethernetwork/4014-3319_9-31215534.html

lists one supplier at $814.51 (!). I can buy a lot of other stuff for
$800+.

Gary

--
Gary Heston ghe...@hiwaay.net http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/