MCFL'ers Who Died

Beaver...@live.com

Apr 4, 2015, 8:02:24 PM4/4/15
Let's take a moment to remember those frugalistas who have passed on.

su-texas
Old_Timer
Squidgey

In our hearts forever.

Anybody else?

Dennis

Apr 5, 2015, 2:42:50 PM4/5/15
What about Soul Surgeon? I think he's been dead (or in a vegetative
state) for years.

Dennis (evil)

The Real Bev

Apr 5, 2015, 3:34:07 PM4/5/15
On 04/05/2015 11:44 AM, Dennis wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Apr 2015 17:02:21 -0700 (PDT), Beaver...@live.com wrote:
>
>>Let's take a moment to remember those frugalistas who have passed on.
>>
>>su-texas
>>Old_Timer
>>Squidgey
>>
>>In our hearts forever.
>>
>>Anybody else?
>
> What about Soul Surgeon? I think he's been dead (or in a vegetative
> state) for years.

Harry Chickpea. I know he just quit, but still...

--
Cheers, Bev
Never argue with a woman holding a torque wrench.

Beaver...@live.com

Apr 5, 2015, 6:54:01 PM4/5/15
Doesn't ring a bell but I never read every post.

Beaver...@live.com

Apr 5, 2015, 6:54:36 PM4/5/15
Wow, you are still alive. You were old when this group started.
Message has been deleted

Beaver...@live.com

Apr 5, 2015, 9:26:23 PM4/5/15
On Sunday, April 5, 2015 at 6:20:07 PM UTC-7, barbie gee wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Apr 2015, The Real Bev wrote:

> >> What about Soul Surgeon? I think he's been dead (or in a vegetative
> >> state) for years.
> >
> > Harry Chickpea. I know he just quit, but still...
>
> wasn't Stormee an m.c.f-l'er?
>
> Or maybe I'm thinking of another group?

alt.recovery.clutter, and when Brenda died she killed the whole group.

Michael Black

Apr 5, 2015, 10:43:13 PM4/5/15
On Sun, 5 Apr 2015, Dennis wrote:

> On Sat, 4 Apr 2015 17:02:21 -0700 (PDT), Beaver...@live.com wrote:
>
>> Let's take a moment to remember those frugalistas who have passed on.
>>
>> su-texas
>> Old_Timer
>> Squidgey
>>
>> In our hearts forever.
>>
>> Anybody else?
>
> What about Soul Surgeon? I think he's been dead (or in a vegetative
> state) for years.

Didn't he "die" at least twice? I thought he came back under some other
name, trying without real success to play a different character.

For that matter, I remember Squidgey, but I thought there was some story
behind that name. I don't remember her dying.

Anyone who's left is as good as dead here, but has there actually been
news that those three have died?

Michael

Bob F

Apr 6, 2015, 12:21:26 AM4/6/15
Dennis wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Apr 2015 17:02:21 -0700 (PDT), Beaver...@live.com wrote:
>
>> Let's take a moment to remember those frugalistas who have passed on.
>>
>> su-texas
>> Old_Timer
>> Squidgey
>>
>> In our hearts forever.
>>
>> Anybody else?
>
> What about Soul Surgeon? I think he's been dead (or in a vegetative
> state) for years.
>
> Dennis (evil)

He was the first one I thought of as a possibility, but I couldn't recall the
name.

The Real Bev

Apr 6, 2015, 2:49:47 AM4/6/15
On 04/05/2015 06:16 PM, barbie gee wrote:

> On Sun, 5 Apr 2015, The Real Bev wrote:

>>> What about Soul Surgeon? I think he's been dead (or in a vegetative
>>> state) for years.
>>
>> Harry Chickpea. I know he just quit, but still...
>
> wasn't Stormee an m.c.f-l'er?
>
> Or maybe I'm thinking of another group?

Different group. I'm pretty sure I would have remembered that name.

--
Cheers, Bev
I'd rather trust the guys in the lab coats who aren't demanding

Michael Black

Apr 6, 2015, 1:06:35 PM4/6/15
On Mon, 6 Apr 2015, Derald wrote:

> Michael Black <et...@ncf.ca> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 5 Apr 2015, Dennis wrote:
>>

>>> What about Soul Surgeon? I think he's been dead (or in a vegetative
>>> state) for years.
>>>
>> Didn't he "die" at least twice? I thought he came back under some other
>> name, trying without real success to play a different character.
> It seemed to me that "Soul Surgeon", "Semi Detached" and possibly
> "Full Metal Grotus" might have been the same individual because?to me,
> at least? their posts "read" very nearly the same. OTOH, I always
> suspected that if "Rod Speed" was human then he/it was not just one
> individual.

I think that was a generally held belief, that the three names were
different incarnations of the same person. One of them went off with a
splash, and did disappear for a while, then later someone shows up
lamenting not being able to get a date, and it sure seemed like the same
person.

>> For that matter, I remember Squidgey, but I thought there was some story
>> behind that name. I don't remember her dying.
> The name is familiar but that's about it.

I'm thinking of some story about royalty, or at least some story that
turned out to not be true.

Michael

The Real Bev

Apr 6, 2015, 1:10:39 PM4/6/15
On 04/06/2015 05:59 AM, Derald wrote:
> Michael Black <et...@ncf.ca> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 5 Apr 2015, Dennis wrote:
>>>
>>> What about Soul Surgeon? I think he's been dead (or in a vegetative
>>> state) for years.
>>>
>>Didn't he "die" at least twice? I thought he came back under some other
>>name, trying without real success to play a different character.
> It seemed to me that "Soul Surgeon", "Semi Detached" and possibly
> "Full Metal Grotus" might have been the same individual because—to me,
> at least— their posts "read" very nearly the same. OTOH, I always
> suspected that if "Rod Speed" was human then he/it was not just one
> individual.

He posts into the linux group with that and several other names. Same
old same old. There was a recent wrangle cross-posted into the linux,
android and ipad groups that might have destroyed the android group,
which was previously quite active.

>>For that matter, I remember Squidgey, but I thought there was some story
>>behind that name. I don't remember her dying.
> The name is familiar but that's about it.

I think she and su-texas were major-league whiners. There's a
difference between whining and bitching :-)

--
Cheers, Bev
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Beaver...@live.com

Apr 6, 2015, 4:38:54 PM4/6/15
On Monday, April 6, 2015 at 10:10:39 AM UTC-7, The Real Bev wrote:
> On 04/06/2015 05:59 AM, Derald wrote:
> > Michael Black <et...@ncf.ca> wrote:

> >>Didn't he "die" at least twice? I thought he came back under some other
> >>name, trying without real success to play a different character.
> > It seemed to me that "Soul Surgeon", "Semi Detached" and possibly
> > "Full Metal Grotus" might have been the same individual because--to me,
> > at least-- their posts "read" very nearly the same. OTOH, I always
> > suspected that if "Rod Speed" was human then he/it was not just one
> > individual.
>
> He posts into the linux group with that and several other names. Same
> old same old. There was a recent wrangle cross-posted into the linux,
> android and ipad groups that might have destroyed the android group,
> which was previously quite active.
>
> >>For that matter, I remember Squidgey, but I thought there was some story
> >>behind that name. I don't remember her dying.
> > The name is familiar but that's about it.
>
> I think she and su-texas were major-league whiners. There's a
> difference between whining and bitching :-)
>

> --
> Cheers, Bev
> xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> "What fresh hell is this?" -- Dorothy Parker

If Ken Haynes was still alive he would be 95.

I miss Leigh Hidell.

Michael Black

Apr 6, 2015, 7:37:15 PM4/6/15
On Mon, 6 Apr 2015, Derald wrote:

> The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 04/06/2015 05:59 AM, Derald wrote:
>>>
>>> It seemed to me that "Soul Surgeon", "Semi Detached" and possibly
>>> "Full Metal Grotus" might have been the same individual because?to me,
>>> at least? their posts "read" very nearly the same. OTOH, I always
>>> suspected that if "Rod Speed" was human then he/it was not just one
>>> individual.
>>
>> He posts into the linux group with that and several other names. Same
>> old same old. There was a recent wrangle cross-posted into the linux,
>> android and ipad groups that might have destroyed the android group,
>> which was previously quite active.
> Who, "he": Rod? That oughtta bring H out of the woods :-) Sorry I
> missed the storm. I just started lurking in the android NG.

Yes, "Rod".

He's also posted quite a bit to alt.folklore.computers

The way I remember it, someone crossposted between here maybe or some
group that he was reading, and then wham, he suddenly was posting to the
newsgroup. He gets the same reaction there, and there is speculation he
has a few puppets, his tone is distinctive enough that when others talk
the same way, it's hard to believe that newsgroup is getting newcomers
that talk the same way as he does.

Michael

Gary Heston

Apr 6, 2015, 9:19:15 PM4/6/15
In article <alpine.LNX.2.02.1...@darkstar.example.org>,
Michael Black <et...@ncf.ca> wrote:
>On Sun, 5 Apr 2015, Dennis wrote:
[ ... ]

>For that matter, I remember Squidgey, but I thought there was some story
>behind that name. I don't remember her dying.

Reportedly, Squidgey was faking a bout of cancer.

>Anyone who's left is as good as dead here, but has there actually been
>news that those three have died?

I don't think Chickpea is gone. He was fine the last time I visited.
He lives about 60 miles away.

Gary

Message has been deleted

The Real Bev

Apr 6, 2015, 11:38:40 PM4/6/15
Goodgood.

It sucks when long-time contributors just stop. Not drift away, just
stop. Apparently they don't even switch to Facebook like the rest of us
compulsives do.

Next thing you know even Timo Salmi will disappear :-(

--
Cheers,
Bev

Beaver...@live.com

Apr 7, 2015, 3:27:24 AM4/7/15
Is there a MCFL Facebook group?

root

Apr 7, 2015, 12:46:24 PM4/7/15
The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Goodgood.
>
> It sucks when long-time contributors just stop. Not drift away, just
> stop. Apparently they don't even switch to Facebook like the rest of us
> compulsives do.

Harry made it clear when he stopped posting: failing to killfile
Rod Speed ruined the group. He must lurk since he will pop
up every once in a while. If he is lurking: please forgive
and come back Harry.

Dennis

Apr 7, 2015, 3:45:23 PM4/7/15
Prehaps I was too subtle. Soul Surgeon, Full Metal Grotus and
Semi-Detached (and maybe others) were all personas of the same
physical person. I'm reasonably certain that Beaver Fever is the
latest persona in that distinguished lineage. (It's my super power.
Damn! Why couldn't it be flying or x-ray vision or picking good
stocks?)

Dennis

Apr 7, 2015, 3:49:01 PM4/7/15
"Leigh" kind of dropped out of the group about the same time that I
posted about the remarkable similarities between her posts and those
of "Roger". One or the other was clearly a sock puppet.

Dennis

Apr 7, 2015, 3:56:27 PM4/7/15
On Mon, 06 Apr 2015 08:59:41 -0400, Derald <der...@invalid.net> wrote:

>The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> What about Soul Surgeon? I think he's been dead (or in a vegetative
>>> state) for years.
>>
>>Harry Chickpea. I know he just quit, but still...
> If H is physically dead, the event ocurred recently. Harry just
>moved to the woods and became a top poster ;-)

A top poster? Well then he's dead to me either way! ;-)

Dennis

Apr 7, 2015, 4:01:59 PM4/7/15
On Sat, 4 Apr 2015 17:02:21 -0700 (PDT), Beaver...@live.com wrote:

>Let's take a moment to remember those frugalistas who have passed on.
>
>su-texas
>Old_Timer
>Squidgey
>
>In our hearts forever.
>
>Anybody else?

What was the name of the former member who regularly posted about her
"Augean Stables" home cleaning/organizing project? Melody? I can't
remember for sure and I don't feel like dredging the archives to find
it. Anyway, another poster confirmed her death some time ago.

Dennis (evil)
--
I'm a hands-on, footloose, knee-jerk head case. -George Carlin

Michael Black

Apr 7, 2015, 11:07:04 PM4/7/15
No, you were clear. I was just pointing out that he seemed to resurrect
himself a few times.

I think you're right, he does seem to have made a fairly recent visit,
though I hadn't remembered the name.

Michael

hchi...@hotmail.com

Apr 8, 2015, 12:53:25 AM4/8/15
On Sun, 05 Apr 2015 12:34:03 -0700, The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 04/05/2015 11:44 AM, Dennis wrote:
>> On Sat, 4 Apr 2015 17:02:21 -0700 (PDT), Beaver...@live.com wrote:
>>
>>>Let's take a moment to remember those frugalistas who have passed on.
>>>
>>>su-texas
>>>Old_Timer
>>>Squidgey
>>>
>>>In our hearts forever.
>>>
>>>Anybody else?
>>
>> What about Soul Surgeon? I think he's been dead (or in a vegetative
>> state) for years.
>
>Harry Chickpea. I know he just quit, but still...

There are days I wish my job on the planet were done, but I suspect it isn't.
Ever since Rod killed the group, I only glance in from time to time.

hchi...@hotmail.com

Apr 8, 2015, 1:10:10 AM4/8/15
I've been watching a forum "HomesteadingToday" self-detruct over the past month
or so, interesting flame-out there. I have comments on it, but they are best
kept to myself.

Pat Meadows was in poor health (along with her (Brit?) husband/mate when she
left, IIRC.

SewMaster? Forget her 'nym, Mormon woman who was kind but had a rough go in
life. Pretty sure she was one who died.

Tock - still barbering?

Bearclaw - not sure

Top Post / Bottom Post. Don't think it matters that much any more.

Beaver...@live.com

Apr 8, 2015, 2:27:26 AM4/8/15
Those people seemed like total wastoids and quite proud of it. I don't drink or do drugs. Which in turn allows me to live quite comfortably on almost nothing.

The Real Bev

Apr 8, 2015, 3:56:17 AM4/8/15
On 04/07/2015 10:10 PM, hchi...@hotmail.com wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Apr 2015 16:46:21 +0000 (UTC), root <NoE...@home.org> wrote:
>
>>The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Goodgood.
>>>
>>> It sucks when long-time contributors just stop. Not drift away, just
>>> stop. Apparently they don't even switch to Facebook like the rest of us
>>> compulsives do.
>>
>>Harry made it clear when he stopped posting: failing to killfile
>>Rod Speed ruined the group. He must lurk since he will pop
>>up every once in a while. If he is lurking: please forgive
>>and come back Harry.

Welcome back, even if it's only temporary. Could you possibly regard a
return as a sort of 'Take back the night' thing?

> I've been watching a forum "HomesteadingToday" self-detruct over the past month
> or so, interesting flame-out there. I have comments on it, but they are best
> kept to myself.

It's hard to avoid being sucked in sometimes, but I'm getting better :-)

> Pat Meadows was in poor health (along with her (Brit?) husband/mate when she
> left, IIRC.
>
> SewMaster? Forget her 'nym, Mormon woman who was kind but had a rough go in
> life. Pretty sure she was one who died.
>
> Tock - still barbering?

He was in Austin, right? I googled, but nothing obvious turned up. He
can't have had it easy either.

> Bearclaw - not sure
>
> Top Post / Bottom Post. Don't think it matters that much any more.

It still pops up in mozilla.general every once in a while.

--
Cheers, Bev
"If you're crazy, you better find a way to make money off it.

Vic Smith

Apr 8, 2015, 7:01:16 AM4/8/15
Any group Rod Speed "killed" was doomed anyway.

hchi...@hotmail.com

Apr 8, 2015, 11:15:33 AM4/8/15
<shrug> I find I am eating less as I get older. Perhaps the secret of FL is as
simple as reducing the munchies.

hchi...@hotmail.com

Apr 8, 2015, 11:22:54 AM4/8/15
On Wed, 08 Apr 2015 00:56:05 -0700, The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Welcome back, even if it's only temporary. Could you possibly regard a
>return as a sort of 'Take back the night' thing?

I could, but the more I learn about social dynamics in action vs. true
information exchange, the less sure I am about the stability and longevity of
any group.

I'm also inclined to think that any group that isn't pablum dribbling out of the
mouth drivel and/or in rabid support of military and neo-facist mentality is
doomed in this cultural climate anyway.

Dennis

Apr 8, 2015, 12:49:03 PM4/8/15
On Tue, 7 Apr 2015 23:27:25 -0700 (PDT), Beaver...@live.com wrote:

So all that's left is the porn?

Michael Black

Apr 8, 2015, 1:02:36 PM4/8/15
On Wed, 8 Apr 2015, hchi...@hotmail.com wrote:

> On Tue, 7 Apr 2015 16:46:21 +0000 (UTC), root <NoE...@home.org> wrote:
>
>> The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Goodgood.
>>>
>>> It sucks when long-time contributors just stop. Not drift away, just
>>> stop. Apparently they don't even switch to Facebook like the rest of us
>>> compulsives do.
>>

>> Harry made it clear when he stopped posting: failing to killfile
>> Rod Speed ruined the group. He must lurk since he will pop
>> up every once in a while. If he is lurking: please forgive
>> and come back Harry.
>
> I've been watching a forum "HomesteadingToday" self-detruct over the past month
> or so, interesting flame-out there. I have comments on it, but they are best
> kept to myself.
>
> Pat Meadows was in poor health (along with her (Brit?) husband/mate when she
> left, IIRC.

Yes. Things changed in her/their life and she withdrew from this
newsgroup. She did have a website for a while, talking about her raised
bed vegetable garden. I know I followed it for a while, but then I think
there were no updates. But it's been some time since I checked, I don't
even have the URL handy.

Michael

Michael Black

Apr 8, 2015, 1:04:05 PM4/8/15
"But now it's Frugal porn".

Michael

Beaver...@live.com

Apr 8, 2015, 1:22:20 PM4/8/15
Porn, concerts (there is a staggering amount of free entertainment in this town) and internet booty calls.
Message has been deleted

Beaver...@live.com

Apr 8, 2015, 7:25:53 PM4/8/15
On Wednesday, April 8, 2015 at 10:29:30 AM UTC-7, Derald wrote:
> Michael Black <et...@ncf.ca> wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 8 Apr 2015, hchi...@hotmail.com wrote:
> >>

> >> Pat Meadows was in poor health (along with her (Brit?) husband/mate when she
> >> left, IIRC.
> >>
> >Yes. Things changed in her/their life and she withdrew from this
> >newsgroup. She did have a website for a while, talking about her raised
> >bed vegetable garden. I know I followed it for a while, but then I think
> >there were no updates. But it's been some time since I checked, I don't
> >even have the URL handy.
> I attempted, unsuccessfully, to buy some seeds from her that Pat
> was advertising on the web site. Later, she caused some kind of stir in
> a web forum in which we seemed to be accused of plagiarism, claiming the
> web site as her own or some kind of stupid human trick but I never could
> discern what folks thought of as the "real" issue and didn't/don't care,
> anyway.
> >
> --
> Derald

Pat Meadows was really nice. So was Suzn.

The Real Bev

Apr 8, 2015, 8:22:05 PM4/8/15
How about "major contributing factor" then?

--
Cheers,
Bev

The Real Bev

Apr 8, 2015, 10:18:13 PM4/8/15
nothing."

Nothing like sitting on a high horse every once in a while :-)

--
Cheers, Bev
"My dad used to say: Laugh, and the whole world laughs with you.

hchi...@hotmail.com

Apr 9, 2015, 1:06:07 AM4/9/15
On Wed, 08 Apr 2015 19:18:10 -0700, The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 04/08/2015 08:22 AM, hchi...@hotmail.com wrote:
>> On Wed, 08 Apr 2015 00:56:05 -0700, The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Welcome back, even if it's only temporary. Could you possibly regard a
>>>return as a sort of 'Take back the night' thing?
>>
>> I could, but the more I learn about social dynamics in action vs. true
>> information exchange, the less sure I am about the stability and longevity of
>> any group.
>>
>> I'm also inclined to think that any group that isn't pablum dribbling out of the
>> mouth drivel and/or in rabid support of military and neo-facist mentality is
>> doomed in this cultural climate anyway.
>
>"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do
>nothing."
>
>Nothing like sitting on a high horse every once in a while :-)

And too bad that the Congresscritters have forgotten that and decided to focus
their attention more on what comes out the back end of that horse...

"Who was that masked man?" - Lennie Bruce

imascot

Apr 9, 2015, 3:44:08 PM4/9/15
"Bob F" <bobn...@gmail.com> wrote in news:mft1id$6ve$1...@dont-email.me:

> Dennis wrote:
>> On Sat, 4 Apr 2015 17:02:21 -0700 (PDT), Beaver...@live.com wrote:
>>
>>> Let's take a moment to remember those frugalistas who have passed
>>> on.
>>>
>>> su-texas
>>> Old_Timer
>>> Squidgey
>>>
>>> In our hearts forever.
>>>
>>> Anybody else?
>> (snip)

I'm an oldtimer here, not dead, but not on Facebook either. I've never seen
anybody with a smartphone on USENET.
I miss the great threads that used to be here.

J.

---

Dennis

Apr 9, 2015, 7:27:33 PM4/9/15
There's the old Semi-D we all remember!

Dennis (evil)
--
My output is down, my income is up, I take a short position on the long bond and
my revenue stream has its own cash flow. -George Carlin

hchi...@hotmail.com

Apr 10, 2015, 12:42:08 AM4/10/15
On Thu, 9 Apr 2015 19:43:10 +0000 (UTC), imascot <im...@mycomputer.now> wrote:

>"Bob F" <bobn...@gmail.com> wrote in news:mft1id$6ve$1...@dont-email.me:

>>> (snip)
>
>I'm an oldtimer here, not dead, but not on Facebook either. I've never seen
>anybody with a smartphone on USENET.
>I miss the great threads that used to be here.
>
>J.

You aren't the only one. Overall, I think it was one of the best groups around
even when it was having bad days. Perhaps it was because it took a little
intelligence to get on usenet, and generally people here had some sort of
cosmopolitan attitude or experience in addition to a frugal nature, compared to
forums and other forms of communication.

I think that another part of it was that until 2002, and then 2008, a lot of us
had a lot more positive outlook towards the future.

Beaver...@live.com

Apr 10, 2015, 7:47:10 PM4/10/15
The future has always been bleak. But I agree this was the best one around.

Michael Black

Apr 13, 2015, 2:24:14 PM4/13/15
What about people who changed their mind about frugality? They died too,
in terms of this newsgroup.

I wonder if that factored into some of the people lost over the years.
Not recently, but maybe some day someone woke up and decided "frugality is
for losers" and went on a buying binge.

Michael

hchi...@hotmail.com

Apr 13, 2015, 4:51:40 PM4/13/15
More likely the cost of a newsfeed where Rod was the main poster probably seemed
NOT frugal... :D

The Real Bev

Apr 13, 2015, 7:23:45 PM4/13/15
On 04/13/2015 01:51 PM, hchi...@hotmail.com wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Apr 2015 14:24:36 -0400, Michael Black <et...@ncf.ca> wrote:

I'm on facebook, along with a lot of people from other newsgroups. It's
nothing at all like usenet. More pictures, less thinking and
discussion. I've "known" these people since 1995 so perhaps discussion
isn't needed as much -- we all "know" each other.

I just spent a week in Brian Head with half a dozen people from the
skiing newsgroup, and I don't think any of us surprised any others of us
-- it's like we'd been friends, or at least work-friends, for quite a
while.

Usenet was better, though. Even without the dog/cat pictures.

>>> You aren't the only one. Overall, I think it was one of the best groups around
>>> even when it was having bad days. Perhaps it was because it took a little
>>> intelligence to get on usenet, and generally people here had some sort of
>>> cosmopolitan attitude or experience in addition to a frugal nature, compared to
>>> forums and other forms of communication.
>>>
>>> I think that another part of it was that until 2002, and then 2008, a lot of us
>>> had a lot more positive outlook towards the future.

Along the belief that if we could just explain things properly we could
convince the terminally wrong-headed that life would be better if they
could just change their minds and AGREE WITH US.

>>What about people who changed their mind about frugality? They died too,
>>in terms of this newsgroup.
>>
>>I wonder if that factored into some of the people lost over the years.
>>Not recently, but maybe some day someone woke up and decided "frugality is
>>for losers" and went on a buying binge.

Perhaps if you discovered a terminal illness and thought your heirs
would just waste the fruits of your lifelong frugality you might figure
Oh hell, I'm just going to spend it all, but even then I think we would
tend to want to get the best deal. Barring that, such a polar-opposite
switch just doesn't seem reasonable.

> More likely the cost of a newsfeed where Rod was the main poster probably seemed
> NOT frugal... :D

Does anybody still pay for this stuff? NOT frugal whether RS exists or not.

--
Cheers, Bev
---------------------------------------

hchi...@hotmail.com

Apr 13, 2015, 11:07:15 PM4/13/15
On Mon, 13 Apr 2015 16:23:38 -0700, The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Along the belief that if we could just explain things properly we could
>convince the terminally wrong-headed that life would be better if they
>could just change their minds and AGREE WITH US.

LOL! I don't think I ever wasted much time on that after high school. A lot of
what I wrote was more about educating the lurkers to alternative thoughts and
turning the "teminally wrong-headed" brains into butter by taking their own
rigid dictums and extending those to a logical extreme. Along the way I learned
a lot about my own learning edges and forces beyond the control of any of us.

I do find that there have been changes on the net that, like mainstream tv, play
to the lowest common denominator. A couple of recent comments on a private
forum have made me stop and think.

The first was someone claiming that I did hours of Google searching to answer
questions. Uhhhh, no. I will sometimes spend some time VERIFYING that what I am
about to post is correct and use a web search, but it really is possible for
people to hold thoughts longer than a twitter message in their minds AND be able
to relate them cogently.

The second was that people posing questions were more interested in
conversational interaction than getting answers or even optional answers to
their questions. I'm not even sure how to respond to that.

"My pipe burst! How do I fix it so water isn't spraying everywhere?!?"

"Funny you should ask! I once knew someone who had a pipe burst! They were an
interesting person that you would have liked. They had a parrot that could
recite the Pledge of Allegence. Let me tell you about that..."

The Real Bev

Apr 14, 2015, 2:03:47 AM4/14/15
On 04/13/2015 08:07 PM, hchi...@hotmail.com wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Apr 2015 16:23:38 -0700, The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Along with the belief that if we could just explain things properly we could
>>convince the terminally wrong-headed that life would be better if they
>>could just change their minds and AGREE WITH US.

I had to add 'with' up there. I just HAD to.

> LOL! I don't think I ever wasted much time on that after high school. A lot of
> what I wrote was more about educating the lurkers to alternative thoughts and
> turning the "teminally wrong-headed" brains into butter by taking their own
> rigid dictums and extending those to a logical extreme.

You can maybe turn butter into better butter, but I wouldn't bet money
on it. Or butter.

> Along the way I learned
> a lot about my own learning edges and forces beyond the control of any of us.
>
> I do find that there have been changes on the net that, like mainstream tv, play
> to the lowest common denominator. A couple of recent comments on a private
> forum have made me stop and think.
>
> The first was someone claiming that I did hours of Google searching to answer
> questions. Uhhhh, no. I will sometimes spend some time VERIFYING that what I am
> about to post is correct and use a web search, but it really is possible for
> people to hold thoughts longer than a twitter message in their minds AND be able
> to relate them cogently.

The older we get the more stuff we know and the more crap we've
discarded. I'm shocked at what the under-20s don't know. "Common
knowledge" isn't.

I facebook because usenet friends facebooked. I won't twitter. I don't
care who tweets or how many revolutions get coordinated through twitter.
Some things are just too demeaning.

> The second was that people posing questions were more interested in
> conversational interaction than getting answers or even optional answers to
> their questions. I'm not even sure how to respond to that.

Don't. Questioners can expect either or both, but they're not mutually
exclusive. We need to just ignore certain things. There was a Quora
question the other day about how Americans are different. A guy said
that the big difference is that Americans think that every problem has a
solution. That may or may not be true, but it seems a lot more
admirable than just assuming that Option 1 is to accept the status quo.

Some problems (wrong-headed idiots, for example) can't be fixed until
old age or a guy with a gun takes care of the problem.

> "My pipe burst! How do I fix it so water isn't spraying everywhere?!?"
>
> "Funny you should ask! I once knew someone who had a pipe burst! They were an
> interesting person that you would have liked. They had a parrot that could
> recite the Pledge of Allegence. Let me tell you about that..."

But I digress...

--
Cheers, Bev
_|-_|-_|-_|-_|-_|-_|-_|-_|-_|-_|-_|-_

Beaver...@live.com

Jun 29, 2016, 2:04:23 AM6/29/16
On Saturday, April 4, 2015 at 5:02:24 PM UTC-7, beaver...@live.com wrote:
> Let's take a moment to remember those frugalistas who have passed on.
>
> su-texas
> Old_Timer
> Squidgey
>
> In our hearts forever.
>
> Anybody else?

I would like to add

Chloe
Mari
Sharx
Barbara

to the list

Am I missing anyone?

hchi...@hotmail.com

Jul 1, 2016, 2:15:37 AM7/1/16
Sewmaster

Michael Black

Jul 1, 2016, 7:57:35 PM7/1/16
Did people actually die, or just fade away?

Or maybe they just became non-frugal (I shudder at the thought)?

JUly 1st is when a lot of people here move, and I just got back from
looking over the garbage. Not much jumped out at me, maybe I'm getting
older, maybe it was a bad year for garbage, maybe I went out too late. I
just don't seem to find the goodies I have in the past. I only found one
DVD, when usually it's a good time to find those.

Michael

Beaver...@live.com

Jul 2, 2016, 5:26:23 AM7/2/16
And now I just got word that Tock died of AIDS.

Dennis

Jul 5, 2016, 12:37:56 PM7/5/16
On Fri, 1 Jul 2016 19:59:06 -0400, Michael Black <et...@ncf.ca> wrote:

>JUly 1st is when a lot of people here move, and I just got back from
>looking over the garbage. Not much jumped out at me, maybe I'm getting
>older, maybe it was a bad year for garbage, maybe I went out too late. I
>just don't seem to find the goodies I have in the past. I only found one
>DVD, when usually it's a good time to find those.

I generally consider it a good thing when nothing jumps out at me from
a garbage pile.

Michael Black

Jul 5, 2016, 6:41:50 PM7/5/16
On Tue, 5 Jul 2016, Dennis wrote:

> On Fri, 1 Jul 2016 19:59:06 -0400, Michael Black <et...@ncf.ca> wrote:
>
>> JUly 1st is when a lot of people here move, and I just got back from
>> looking over the garbage. Not much jumped out at me, maybe I'm getting
>> older, maybe it was a bad year for garbage, maybe I went out too late. I
>> just don't seem to find the goodies I have in the past. I only found one
>> DVD, when usually it's a good time to find those.
>
> I generally consider it a good thing when nothing jumps out at me from
> a garbage pile.

You mean like that time I approached a pile, only to think I saw cats
already scavenging that pile?

I get closer, and it was raccoons.

It was adjacent to a very big park that's almost wilderness, so clearly
they were out on a night trip.

Michael

Beaver...@live.com

Dec 12, 2016, 2:21:10 AM12/12/16
On Saturday, April 4, 2015 at 5:02:24 PM UTC-7, beaver...@live.com wrote:
> Let's take a moment to remember those frugalistas who have passed on.
>
> su-texas
> Old_Timer
> Squidgey
>
> In our hearts forever.