Mice show we can substitute drugs for exercise

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, Creator of the Movement of Tantra-Hammock

Jul 8, 2010, 12:10:51 AM7/8/10
"They represent those few extreme individuals in the population with
an intense desire or compulsion to run,"

I knew that my new mice would also reveal some deeper truth, just like
the parrots that came before them... Their wheel spinning is amazing,
but one is a pro, while the other is somewhat of a slow runner (still
more active than the average American). Anyway, this study supports my
theory that running is part of an addiction, but not a negative one.
Perhaps we in America turn to negative addictions as an escape to the
denial of positive addictions, such as riding a bike.

Many of us would would like to be part of the rat race, in the good
sense of the word, not in working overtime or in obsessive habits such
as shopping or Internet, right? Good thing to know for the
revolution...

"The new study, conducted at UW-Madison, adds evidence that the same
brain circuitry involved in other types of craving - such as for food,
drugs or sex - is activated in mice that are denied access to the
running wheel. The findings, say the researchers, lend support to the
addictive nature of exercise in some animals."

http://www.news.wisc.edu/9208

THE WISE TIBETAN MONKEY SAYS

"Once you see the mice, you feel like running yourself"

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, Creator of the Movement of Tantra-Hammock

Jul 8, 2010, 12:40:09 AM7/8/10
On Jul 8, 12:15 am, B Sellers <bl...@sfo.com> wrote:
> On 07/07/2010 09:08 PM, His Highness the TibetanMonkey, Creator of the

> Movement of Tantra-Hammock wrote:
> > "They represent those few extreme individuals in the population with
> > an intense desire or compulsion to run,"
>
> > I knew that my new mice would also reveal some deeper truth, just like
> > the parrots that came before them... Their wheel spinning is amazing,
> > but one is a pro, while the other is somewhat of a slow runner (still
> > more active than the average American). Anyway, this study supports my
> > theory that running is part of an addiction, but not a negative one.
> > Perhaps we in America turn to negative addictions as an escape to the
> > denial of positive addictions, such as riding a bike.
>
> Even excesses in exercise can work against well-being of the
> exercisers and their families or other relationships.
> All that has been documented.

> > Many of us would would like to be part of the rat race, in the good
> > sense of the word, not in working overtime or in obsessive habits such
> > as shopping or Internet, right? Good thing to know for the
> > revolution...
>
> > "The new study, conducted at UW-Madison, adds evidence that the same
> > brain circuitry involved in other types of craving - such as for food,
> > drugs or sex - is activated in mice that are denied access to the
> > running wheel. The findings, say the researchers, lend support to the
> > addictive nature of exercise in some animals."
>
> >http://www.news.wisc.edu/9208

> > THE WISE TIBETAN MONKEY SAYS
>
> > "Once you see the mice, you feel like running yourself"
>
> >http://webspawner.com/users/BANANAREVOLUTION
>
> Good night, Saru.
> later
> bliss

Yet it's better than drugs.

Perhaps a balance is best, where mental activity, exercise and fun are
part of life.

The point is that some of us need some addiction and get the wrong
one. Sad society we live in where we don't have a healthy alternative
for the young.

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, Creator of the Movement of Tantra-Hammock

Jul 8, 2010, 8:57:24 AM7/8/10
On Jul 8, 3:35 am, Brother Nate <bron...@gmail.com> wrote:

> TibetanMonkey wrote:
> > The point is that some of us need some addiction and get the wrong
> > one. Sad society we live in where we don't have a healthy alternative
> > for the young.
>
> Abstinence is a healthy alternative. I'd say the larger sadness
> is that so many young people buy into a quasi-pharma industry
> sales pitch that lives are aren't worthwhile unless they're spent
> drowning in pills.
>
> I will grant that it would be better if we didn't deliberately
> increase
> the danger for people who get drawn into the idea that there's
> a necessity to use recreational drugs, but that' doesn't mean
> we have to throw open the medicine cabinets and hand out
> steroids to every kid who wants big muscles.
>
> There will always need to be limits, and there will always be
> cases where we have to tell people (perhaps especially young
> people) that the drugs they want to use just aren't playthings.
> And yes that also applies to alcohol - it would be a lot better
> if people learned early on that a pattern of binge drinking
> contributes to all kinds of health risks.
>
> --
> Brother Nate
> bron...@gmail.com
> Moral Compass

Kids that are healthy and smart don't go to feed most industries out
there, whether that is the Medical Industry or the Prison Industry. We
rather forget about them until they do some crime, or try to make
shopping addicts out of them. They are expected to drive a fancy car
with chrome rims... and where they get the money from?

I don't believe in abstinence from things, whether that's sex or
sitting in Buddha position. At least give me a hammock. ;)

Jack

Jul 8, 2010, 9:20:45 AM7/8/10
> The findings, say the researchers, lend support to the
> addictive nature of exercise in some animals."

This explains why I went running in 95 degree weather. And I liked
it.

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, Creator of the Movement of Tantra-Hammock

Jul 8, 2010, 9:23:14 AM7/8/10

Me too. Last year I'd ride bike in those temperatures. Actually it's
way cooler than running, having that breeze at over 10mph.

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, Creator of the Movement of Tantra-Hammock

Jul 8, 2010, 9:23:30 AM7/8/10
'Whether these findings on exercise motivation hold true for humans
remains to be studied. If it does, anecdotal evidence from Rhodes and
Gammie would suggest that they've got more in common with the study's
control mice: While they bike or play ultimate Frisbee, neither one
says he feels the compulsion to do it on a regular basis.

"I need to force myself to do it," admits Rhodes. But he keeps on
pedaling, he says, because he knows it's good for his body and mind.'

***

I find it that our social engineers (or masters) act in a most cruel
way when they deny us the wheel. True, many humans can do without
exercise, but they grow fat and stupid. Isn't that what they want,
shopping, junk food addicts?

Jack

Jul 8, 2010, 11:05:25 AM7/8/10
On Jul 8, 9:23 am, "His Highness the TibetanMonkey, Creator of the

Yes riding a bike is sort of like flying. One of the greatest human
inventions. Far superior to the automobile.

I fixed up a friend's bike over the weekend. She was feeling
reclusive and would stay in her apartment for days. So we went for a
ride and she perked right up and was saying Whee! I can't believe I'm
exercising and I like it! The bicycle is like a magic machine.

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, Creator of the Movement of Tantra-Hammock

Jul 8, 2010, 11:35:53 AM7/8/10

It is, just like a well oiled spinning wheel. I put some WD40 on the
grinding mice wheel, and now it runs smoothly.

We only need the SPACE to fly.

Look at the map the road between South Beach and Hollywood Beach,
Florida, some 15 miles. When you overheat, you take a plunge at the
beach. It sounds like Paradise, but you'll be reminded how GRINDING
riding a bike with 40-50 mph traffic can be. No oil can fix that. ;)

Jul 8, 2010, 12:31:46 PM7/8/10

"Jack" <furgfu...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>I fixed up a friend's bike over the weekend. She was feeling
>reclusive and would stay in her apartment for days. So we went for a
>ride and she perked right up and was saying Whee! I can't believe I'm
>exercising and I like it! The bicycle is like a magic machine.

Not magic at all. ANY exercise will perk someone up. Most people taking
pills for depression would be better served by cutting all refined sugar out
of their diet and exercising at least 30 minutes a day.

Jack

Jul 8, 2010, 1:16:23 PM7/8/10
On Jul 8, 11:35 am, "His Highness the TibetanMonkey, Creator of the

Illegitimi non carborundum

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, Creator of the Movement of Tantra-Hammock

Jul 8, 2010, 4:07:42 PM7/8/10

I know, but the bastards still blow the horn at you and push you
around. Not even a Wise Monkey can take that forever...

http://www.happytreefans.fr/happytreefriends.php?htf=56

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, Creator of the Movement of Tantra-Hammock

Jul 8, 2010, 4:31:00 PM7/8/10
So now we can tell those who sponsor a War on Drugs, or who are
indifferent to it, there's one BIG PROBLEM with the system:

"People need something to do; they need an addiction whether that's
the Bible, or RIDING A BIKE so they can be off drugs, alcohol and
crime"

But the Bible is questionable in itself for its value as a
tranquilizer (the opium of the people), and it's better that the young
--and elder as well-- have healthy options. Even the mice got that
much COMMON SENSE when they spin the wheel.

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, Creator of the Movement of Tantra-Hammock

Jul 9, 2010, 9:10:27 AM7/9/10
Things in the mice and human world are pretty different, perhaps
because the latter live under the influence of ADVERTISING.

We define the "good life" as doing nothing (see Nirvana below), but in
the real world of mice --and parakeets-- they love to do something.
They can't roam around or fly? Fine, they spin the wheel. Yes, my
parakeets love the wheel too, and even fight for it. The mice don't
fight for it, but one is left out most of the time. Solution? I
squeezed a second wheel in the cage and now they are happy mice. At
least they can have a positive obsession, not a destructive rat race
leading nowhere.

"In Nirvana, Tibetan monkeys will lie back forever in a hammock and
enjoy a shade tree and singing birds. Then Bob Marley plays...

Margarita is optional."

Jack

Jul 9, 2010, 9:57:03 AM7/9/10
On Jul 8, 4:07 pm, "His Highness the TibetanMonkey, Creator of the

Why would a Wise Monkey want to take that forever, even if he could?
There are no cars or cares in the woods on a mountain bike.

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, Creator of the Movement of Tantra-Hammock

Jul 9, 2010, 1:05:33 PM7/9/10

I don't know. I don't expect it to go on forever. But I do have some
escape route by kayak, desert island and all. Not on weekends though
when the crowd is out there in "motorboat rampage."

But if I'm happy the fire of the revolution won't be fueled by the
energy of injustice and waste.

We can really make it happen. All we really need to do is TAKE THE
LANE in a coordinated way, and let the cars pass you one ANOTHER LANE.
Come what may.

We have a mixed path around here (meaning you can hit a dog or a kid
with your bike) that goes for something like a mile. It probably cost
way more than a million bucks (maybe two or three), and the
maintenance of two security guards, landscaping and lamps every
10' (that blinds your sight) alone would be enough to do something
separate and meaningful for all. And it's totally deserted at night!
The problem is the fancy people who walk their fancy dogs are happy
with it. That's what the workers I've confronted reply to me: "People
are happy with it."

And now they are waiting for Obama's money to expand it.

Jack

Jul 9, 2010, 1:19:34 PM7/9/10
On Jul 9, 1:05 pm, "His Highness the TibetanMonkey, Creator of the

It's amazing what people think they need.

I've never appreciated unshaded lamps at night. Do we really need to
cast light on bats? on clouds? directly into our eyeballs?

Hell, if I want to ride at night I just strap a little LED to my head
and the ground is lighted everywhere I look.

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, Creator of the Movement of Tantra-Hammock

Jul 9, 2010, 2:46:41 PM7/9/10

Not only that, I imagine that I died and have entered the lighted path
people say we find in the afterlife. ;)

Jack

Jul 9, 2010, 3:30:28 PM7/9/10
On Jul 9, 2:46 pm, "His Highness the TibetanMonkey, Creator of the

No not yet, not yet!

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, Creator of the Movement of Tantra-Hammock

Jul 9, 2010, 4:37:19 PM7/9/10

And to think those same lights blind you from enjoying the beautiful
ocean.

I just stay away.