Article: "21 Things You Should Never Buy New"

1 view

Lenona

Jun 30, 2010, 4:44:29 PM6/30/10

http://news.yahoo.com/s/usnews/20100628/ts_usnews/21thingsyoushouldneverbuynew

Funny thing is, I heard recently that DVDs aren't as long-lasting as
most people think.

Lenona.

The Real Bev

Jun 30, 2010, 6:55:39 PM6/30/10

For most movies that doesn't really matter :-(

ALWAYS buy used if it's not an emergency; if it IS an emergency you can
use some of the money you saved by buying used when you could!

--
Cheers, Bev
Why can't we all just get along and do things my way?

Rod Speed

Jun 30, 2010, 6:56:29 PM6/30/10
Lenona wrote:
> http://news.yahoo.com/s/usnews/20100628/ts_usnews/21thingsyoushouldneverbuynew

I dont agree with many of those, particulary the never.

New books can make sense if you dont want to wait for the second hand ones.

New pets make a lot more sense than used ones, you never get anything like
the same bonding with a used dog as you get with one as a very young puppy.

Houses make a lot more sense new than used, you get exactly what you want
if you build it yourself and if you dont keep changing your houses at a high rate
the extra cost over used isnt much, particularly if you build it yourself from
scratch instead of renovating what someone else has built etc.

New cars certainly cost more than used ones, but if you are
careful about what cars you buy and keep the new one for
35 years etc, they are a lot less hassle than used cars and
you get a lot more choice on what you can buy with new.

Refurbished consumer goods arent risk free. There is always
the possibility that its got a subtle fault that didnt get fixed.

> Funny thing is, I heard recently that DVDs aren't as long-lasting as most people think.

There are some duds made, but if you are careful with them, they are long lasting.

Rod Speed

Jun 30, 2010, 9:40:50 PM6/30/10
The Real Bev wrote
> Lenona wrote

>> http://news.yahoo.com/s/usnews/20100628/ts_usnews/21thingsyoushouldneverbuynew

>> Funny thing is, I heard recently that DVDs aren't as long-lasting as most people think.

They dont need to be long lasting, just copy them.

> For most movies that doesn't really matter :-(

> ALWAYS buy used if it's not an emergency;

No thanks, there are plenty of other situations where new is a better proposition.

Jul 1, 2010, 8:37:57 AM7/1/10

"The Real Bev" <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> ALWAYS buy used if it's not an emergency; if it IS an emergency you can
> use some of the money you saved by buying used when you could!

Except for shoes and mattresses. Two things I always buy new.

The Real Bev

Jul 1, 2010, 12:37:15 PM7/1/10

I can't buy new shoes unless I have them custom made, and even those
would probably not fit right.

People with duck feet think it's really nice that other people break in
our shoes for us and actually pay for the privilege. I bought several
pair of one-month-old Saucony running shoes from a serious runner who
changes her shoes every month. A buck a pair. They'll last for
several years more.

Lots of people buy expensive sneakers and then don't wear them. Maybe
it's like exercise equipment...

--
Cheers, Bev
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Jul 1, 2010, 8:18:35 PM7/1/10

> On 07/01/10 05:37, h wrote:
>
>> "The Real Bev"<bashl...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> ALWAYS buy used if it's not an emergency; if it IS an emergency you
>>> can
>>> use some of the money you saved by buying used when you could!
>>
>> Except for shoes and mattresses. Two things I always buy new.
>
> I can't buy new shoes unless I have them custom made, and even those would
> probably not fit right.
>
> People with duck feet think it's really nice that other people break in
> our shoes for us and actually pay for the privilege. I bought several
> pair of one-month-old Saucony running shoes from a serious runner who
> changes her shoes every month. A buck a pair. They'll last for several
> years more.

I have duck feet, too. They are practically square at the metatarsal, and my
heels are very narrow. But, I have incredibly strong feet (ex-ballet dancer)
so I can stretch out the box of the shoe in a few hours, as long as it's
real leather. That plastic stuff from the bogo stores is a nightmare.
Doesn't stretch at all. About 12 years ago I found a style of wide sneaker
at Walmart (leather upper) which I adored, and bought a pair every few
months until I had a reserve of about 10 pairs. I discovered recently, much
to my dismay, that they've changed the sneakers from "wide" (wide
metatarsal, normal heel) to "fat" (symmetrical oval shape) for people with
normal width feet with a layer of fat all the way around the heel.

Great. I'm now out of comfy sneakers. The "wide" fits ok at the box but I
could put both of my heels in the back. the "regular" fits great in the
heel, but the sole is just too narrow and at least one inch of my foot would
hang over the edge on each side. Yuck. Heavy sigh. Same thing with the ankle
boots I bought a few years ago. They screwed up the fit on those now, too.
But...I still have 5 pairs of the old ones squirreled away.

The most annoying part is that I have only 1 pair of sneakers, 1 pair of
flats, 1 pair of pumps, 1 pair of sandals, one pair of boots, plus work
boots, and shovel-out-three-feet-of-snow-boots and 1 pair of ballet slippers
for the gym. Yes, I have multiples of some of them still in boxes, but it's
not exactly like I own gobs of designer shoes. Or any designer shoes,
period. Not like they'd fit. I just pull out a new pair when the old one
dies. Even so, I still only have about 25 pairs of footwear, including the
boxed extras.

Wide shoes seem to be getting narrower or turned into "fat' shoes. Even
"wide" ballet slippers are getting narrower. My last pair needed to have an
elastic gore added into the center front of the box. Not pretty and a real
pain. At least the heels still fit right :)

The Real Bev

Jul 1, 2010, 9:41:59 PM7/1/10
On 07/01/10 17:18, h wrote:

> "The Real Bev"<bashl...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> On 07/01/10 05:37, h wrote:
>>
>>> "The Real Bev"<bashl...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> Except for shoes and mattresses. Two things I always buy new.
>>
>> I can't buy new shoes unless I have them custom made, and even those would
>> probably not fit right.
>>
>> People with duck feet think it's really nice that other people break in
>> our shoes for us and actually pay for the privilege. I bought several
>> pair of one-month-old Saucony running shoes from a serious runner who
>> changes her shoes every month. A buck a pair. They'll last for several
>> years more.
>
> I have duck feet, too. They are practically square at the metatarsal, and my
> heels are very narrow. But, I have incredibly strong feet (ex-ballet dancer)
> so I can stretch out the box of the shoe in a few hours, as long as it's
> real leather.

Dancers have maybe the ugliest feet on earth. I used to usher at the
Los Angeles Civic Light Opera (big-name musical comedies with big-name
touring companies) and my friends and I would stand at the stage door
afterwards and get autographs. All the dancers wore sandals. I really
felt sorry for them. 'Gnarly' is the best description I can come up with.

K-Mart used to have some black cheesy pumps with tiny heels that fit
really nicely and were maybe $5/pair on sale. If I wore them to work
every day they'd last about a year before they became unusable. I have
several pair I never wore. I tried them on the other day. My feet are
maybe one size wider than in 1995, the last time I regularly wore girly
shoes. If I had to go to some really formal occasion I have no idea
what shoes I might wear.

I think the less-expensive shoes (made in China like everything else)
are designed for Asian feet.

BTW, the USA is still the top manufacturing nation, with China a very
close second. It's the opinion of Those Who Know that China will be #1
next year. The article didn't say what it is that we manufacture the
most of, though.

--
Cheers, Bev
"I love deadlines... especially the whooshing sound

Don Klipstein

Jul 2, 2010, 12:41:44 AM7/2/10
In <i0jg5a$9vi$1...@news.eternal-september.org>, The Real Bev wrote in part:

>BTW, the USA is still the top manufacturing nation, with China a very
>close second. It's the opinion of Those Who Know that China will be #1
>next year. The article didn't say what it is that we manufacture the
>most of, though.

Partial manufacture of many automobiles, some fair amount of aircraft
manufacture, a lot of refrigeration and climate control equipment,
"McMansions", medical facilities, a fair amount of building materials, and
I have somewhat of an impression that packaged foods get counted as
"manufactured goods".

I also seem to think medicinces, especially prescription ones that
have prices supported by a protectionist law that causes USA-made
FDA-approved prescription drugs to cost more after zero border crossings
than after 2 border crossings (illegal re-importation).

For that matter, I suspect also medical equipment and medical supplies.
Sarcastically, I wonder if prisons police equipment, and government
buildings count.

In addition, I seem to think that a fair amount of paper, cardboard, and
paper goods and shipping boxes and shipping supplies sold in USA are
actually manufactured in USA. Along with glass bottles and probably most
plastic bottles.

One more thing - the highest-volume types of light bulbs sold in USA
and Canada (40 to 100 watt "A19" ones about to be banned and 2-foot and
4-foot fluorescents) are still mostly made in USA and Canada.

Canada has been gaining manufacturing share from USA in automobiles,
light bulbs, and tools. Likely lately or soon also climate control
equipment and supplies, shipping supplies, building materials, and paper
products.

(For that matter, it appears to me that Canada exports fossil fuels
while USA is the world's greatest importer of those. And furthermore,
it appears to me that Canada nowadays exports a higher percentage of the
food farm products produced than USA does, while back in the last few
decades of the 20th century USA was the world's "breadbasket").
--
- Don Klipstein (d...@misty.com)

Rod Speed

Jul 2, 2010, 1:27:44 AM7/2/10

Yes.

> with China a very close second.

Nope, its a long way behind, only just in front of Japan
http://investing.curiouscatblog.net/2008/09/23/top-manufacturing-countries-in-2007/

> It's the opinion of Those Who Know that China will be #1 next year.

Pure fantasy.

> The article didn't say what it is that we manufacture the most of, though.

Military hardware, aircraft, PC software, movies, TV series, music, pharmaceuticals, food, etc etc etc.

Jul 2, 2010, 6:45:49 PM7/2/10

> On 07/01/10 17:18, h wrote:
>
> Dancers have maybe the ugliest feet on earth. I used to usher at the Los
> Angeles Civic Light Opera (big-name musical comedies with big-name touring
> companies) and my friends and I would stand at the stage door afterwards
> and get autographs. All the dancers wore sandals. I really felt sorry
> for them. 'Gnarly' is the best description I can come up with.

Seriously. The one consolation I have is that because I had "perfect" feet
(would that every other part of me had been so!) I never got blisters or
other seriously icky bloody wounds like most of the other dancers. Still, I
had gigantic veins and calluses at the age of 17. I have a book with a
picture of Baryshnikov's feet, and, happily, his feet are scarier than mine.
At least they are now that I'm in my 50s and I haven't been on pointe for 20
years. I still have the huge veins going on - hands too, since I'm now a
custom clothier and spend all day over-using my hands. Eh. I'm still in
great shape because I work out an hour a day and very healthy, so I'll take
the gnarly feet! I just wish I could find shoes that fit! :)