Getting rid of old computer

gggg...@gmail.com

Oct 28, 2019, 6:40:30 PM10/28/19
Before you do that, shouldn't the contents be erased?

How does one do that?

ItsJoan NotJoann

Oct 28, 2019, 6:46:41 PM10/28/19
On Monday, October 28, 2019 at 5:40:30 PM UTC-5, gggg...@gmail.com wrote:

> Before you do that, shouldn't the contents be erased?
>
> How does one do that?

This may be of some help. It explains how to format or wipe your pc clean.
Read the whole article for the steps you need to take.

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-erase-everything-from-your-windows-computer

Bob F

Oct 28, 2019, 10:37:57 PM10/28/19
A lot of people just trash the HD. What a waste.

Bill Gill

Oct 29, 2019, 9:14:08 AM10/29/19
On 10/28/2019 5:40 PM, gggg...@gmail.com wrote:
> Before you do that, shouldn't the contents be erased?
>
> How does one do that?

Here in Tulsa there is an organization that recycles
electronic waste. For computers they wipe the hard
drive. Then they completely disassemble the boards and
send everything to be recycled. The service is free.

Bill

John Weiss

Oct 29, 2019, 9:26:41 AM10/29/19
On 10/28/2019 15:40, gggg...@gmail.com wrote:
> Before you do that, shouldn't the contents be erased?
>
> How does one do that?

Heidi Eraser: https://eraser.heidi.ie/

For the boot drive, you can either boot from an external drive and run
Eraser from there, or re-install the OS from scratch with just a generic
account and run Eraser over the rest of the drive.

Beaver...@live.com

Oct 29, 2019, 11:41:37 AM10/29/19
On Monday, October 28, 2019 at 3:40:30 PM UTC-7, gggg...@gmail.com wrote:
> Before you do that, shouldn't the contents be erased?
>
> How does one do that?

Are you selling, donating or trashing?

If you are trashing, just take the hard drive out and keep it if it's still operable.

Whoey Louie

Oct 30, 2019, 9:23:13 AM10/30/19
I would think there are plenty of programs that will wipe the boot drive
without doing anything special. The OP should just look for free disk
wipe programs. The other alternative is to just smash the drive with
a hammer, if it's a real old PC and of no use anymore.

gggg...@gmail.com

Nov 14, 2019, 1:25:34 AM11/14/19
On Monday, October 28, 2019 at 3:40:30 PM UTC-7, gggg...@gmail.com wrote:
> Before you do that, shouldn't the contents be erased?
>
> How does one do that?

https://www.komando.com/tech-tips/dont-sell-your-printer-before-doing-this-1-critical-step/331796/

blinking...@gmail.com

Feb 4, 2020, 12:59:47 PM2/4/20
On Monday, October 28, 2019 at 3:40:30 PM UTC-7, gggg...@gmail.com wrote:
> Before you do that, shouldn't the contents be erased?
>
> How does one do that?

C4 or Thermite

catalpa

Feb 13, 2020, 8:53:17 PM2/13/20

<blinking...@gmail.com> wrote in message
A sledgehanmmer is way more frugal and provides good exercise.

The Real Bev

Feb 14, 2020, 1:04:16 AM2/14/20
BUT taking the HD apart to get the super-strong magnets and an
interesting coaster for your coffee cup is always fun.

--
Cheers, Bev
There is a fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness.'

catalpa

Feb 24, 2020, 7:29:50 PM2/24/20

"The Real Bev" <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On 02/13/2020 05:53 PM, catalpa wrote:
>> <blinking...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> C4 or Thermite
>>
>> A sledgehanmmer is way more frugal and provides good exercise.
>
> BUT taking the HD apart to get the super-strong magnets and an interesting
> coaster for your coffee cup is always fun.

If you have the time and the small torx bits then go for it.

The super-strong magnets can be used to degauss the platters.