how to get replacement cables for Weider home Gym?

OhioGuy

Dec 20, 2008, 8:06:21 AM12/20/08
I have a Weider System 3 (15922) Cross Trainer home Gym that is
having a problem. The system uses cheap plastic pulleys, so they coated
the metal cables with plastic so that they wouldn't wear the pulleys.

The trouble is, the plastic coating is coming off all the cables,
which makes it very difficult to do the exercises. The plastic coming
off and bulging out makes the resistance variable, and sometimes
downright impossible.

I tried searches online for replacement parts, and found that I could
easily spend $60 just replacing one cable with an official part. That
is about what I paid for the whole thing.

My Dad suggested getting "aircraft cable", whatever that is. I'm
guessing it is a high quality metal cable you can get in a bulk roll.
If I could get something like that and cut it to length, I believe I
could easily replace what is on here.

The trouble is, where do you get the stuff? Anyone have an idea
where to get a good deal online for rolls of metal cable? They didn't
have any at my local hardware store. Thanks!

Gary Heston

Dec 20, 2008, 10:32:59 AM12/20/08
In article <giiql8$2k77$1...@news.ett.com.ua>, OhioGuy <no...@none.net> wrote:
> I have a Weider System 3 (15922) Cross Trainer home Gym that is
>having a problem. The system uses cheap plastic pulleys, so they coated
>the metal cables with plastic so that they wouldn't wear the pulleys.
[ ... ]

It's also serving the purpose of noise reduction, and was probably
intended to trap any broken strands of wire.

> My Dad suggested getting "aircraft cable", whatever that is. I'm
>guessing it is a high quality metal cable you can get in a bulk roll.
>If I could get something like that and cut it to length, I believe I
>could easily replace what is on here.

Wire cable is used in small aircraft for connecting control surfaces
to controls, or for bracing (i.e., on biplanes). The material used on
aircraft has to meet tight standards on strength, flexibility, and
corrosion resistance, and is usually made from stainless steel wire.
It's also more expensive than regular steel cable.

> The trouble is, where do you get the stuff? Anyone have an idea
>where to get a good deal online for rolls of metal cable? They didn't
>have any at my local hardware store. Thanks!

A search on "vinyl covered wire cable" turned up these and more:

http://www.stageriggingonline.com/cable1.html?gclid=CPTP6di9z5cCFRLoxgodYxFoDg

http://www.webriggingsupply.com/pages/catalog/wirerope_cable/wirerope-intro.html?gclid=CMOh9d69z5cCFRJ4xgodawEdEA

http://www.smallparts.com/s?ie=UTF8&refinementHistory=material_browse%2Csubjectbin%2Cbreaking_strength%2Cmanufacturer%2Cbrandtextbin%2Cenc-merchantbin%2Cavailability_class%2Cavailability%2Creview-rating%2Cdate%2Cis_prime&pf_rd_r=1VH14FSBS0N6RPCXECQR&pf_rd_p=417978301&searchNodeID=16413891&pf_rd_i=0&searchRank=salesrank&pf_rd_s=center-2&searchSize=25&pf_rd_m=AIUBT5HP6PMAF&field_material_browse=16414671&pf_rd_t=301&searchBinNameList=material_browse%2Csubjectbin%2Cbreaking_strength%2Cmanufacturer%2Cbrandtextbin%2Cenc-merchantbin%2Cavailability_class%2Cavailability%2Creview-rating%2Cdate%2Cis_prime&gclid=CMeQv6a_z5cCFRJxxwodDlNhDw

You might have better luck using the nylon coated products, as they'll
probably hold up better.

If there's a stage or theatrical supply company near you, they may have
cable available--the smaller sizes are used for safety lines for stage
lights, for example.

You'll need a good heavy-duty pair of cutters, a hacksaw, or a Dremel
tool or similar rotary tool to cut it with. I've also used a cold
chisel and hand sledge with success on smaller cable. Wrap electrical
tape around it to reduce fraying when cutting.

Gary

--
Gary Heston ghe...@hiwaay.net http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

"Behind every successful woman there is an astonished man"
General of the Army (four stars) Ann Dunwoody

MSfo...@mcpmail.com

Dec 20, 2008, 11:44:22 AM12/20/08

Just check around the big box stores and major hardware stores for
coated cables. I have regularly purchased them by the foot in various
diameters. Don't just buy something without touching and feeling it.
Some of those cables could be too stiff for your equipment. You want
cables with the most number of strands, which gives the flexibility
you need.

Roger Shoaf

Dec 21, 2008, 12:12:59 PM12/21/08
See Mc Master Carr at: http://www.mcmaster.com/ page 1377

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

"OhioGuy" <no...@none.net> wrote in message

NotMe

Dec 26, 2008, 3:30:54 PM12/26/08

"OhioGuy" <no...@none.net> wrote in message

: I have a Weider System 3 (15922) Cross Trainer home Gym that is

Look for a company that sells 'wire rope'. comes in 'clad' (with plastic)
or unclad (no plastic). If you take the old cable with you they can make up
what you need.

Might also check HomeDepot and Lows.

icma...@msn.com

Sep 5, 2017, 10:47:52 PM9/5/17
> have any at my local hardware store. Thanks...

Try
"Tractor Supply Company"

Bob F

Sep 6, 2017, 12:12:17 AM9/6/17
Or perhaps a marine supply place.

ItsJoan NotJoann

Sep 6, 2017, 2:16:41 PM9/6/17
On Tuesday, September 5, 2017 at 9:47:52 PM UTC-5, icma...@msn.com wrote:

> On Saturday, ***December 20, 2008*** at 8:06:21 AM UTC-5, OhioGuy wrote:

> > I have a Weider System 3 (15922) Cross Trainer home Gym that is
> > having a problem.
>

> Try
> "Tractor Supply Company"

I SERIOUSLY doubt OhioGuy has been hanging around for the last
NINE YEARS waiting on yours or Bob F's reply.

ItsJoan NotJoann

Sep 6, 2017, 2:18:13 PM9/6/17
On Tuesday, September 5, 2017 at 11:12:17 PM UTC-5, Bob F wrote:
> On 9/5/2017 7:47 PM, icma...@msn.com wrote:
>
> > On Saturday, ***December 20, 2008*** at 8:06:21 AM UTC-5, OhioGuy wrote:
> >
> > Try
> > "Tractor Supply Company"
> >

> Or perhaps a marine supply place.

REALLY??? You think OhioGuy has been pacing the floor these past
NINE YEARS awaiting your suggestion???

Bob F

Sep 11, 2017, 12:28:19 AM9/11/17
And your are absolutely sure nobody else currently has the same problem?

ItsJoan NotJoann

Sep 11, 2017, 4:03:35 PM9/11/17
If they are, they're not here checking a NINE YEAR old thread looking
for an answer.

Bob F

Sep 11, 2017, 7:47:10 PM9/11/17
I have gotten multiple very positive feedback on a post I made many
years after the post. IT was still helping people with the problem.

Beaver...@live.com

Sep 14, 2017, 5:38:17 PM9/14/17
There is something weird going on in alt.true-crime where people intimately involved in crimes that took place during the group's heydey google themselves, find the posts and start participating.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.true-crime/HlXFLdDKUc4

NeedAlternatives

Nov 8, 2017, 12:48:24 PM11/8/17
On Saturday, December 20, 2008 at 8:06:21 AM UTC-5, OhioGuy wrote:
> The trouble is, the plastic coating is coming off all the cables,
> which makes it very difficult to do the exercises. The plastic coming
> off and bulging out makes the resistance variable, and sometimes
> downright impossible.
>
> I tried searches online for replacement parts, and found that I could
> easily spend $60 just replacing one cable with an official part. That
> is about what I paid for the whole thing.

Thank you for the original post and keeping this thread alive. Here I am after 9 years .. this is one of the most useful post on Internet.

I have the same problem. Weider Gym cable broke. Weider wants ~ $95 for EACH of four cables! Total ~ $ 400. The entire Gym cost about that much! The cables probably cost no more than $25 each but greedy Icon Fitness gets you on parts. Aftermarket third party sellers charge these exorbitant prices.

I hate to throw away all this equipment (a ton of scrap iron?!) and buy a new for few hundred more over cost of replacement cables ... just because if Icon's extortionary prices for replacement parts.

So here I am looking for sane alternatives. Thanks for all the suggestions. I am going to check these out and post back.

We need more threads like these to break Icon's sleazy pricing. KEEP THIS THREAD ALIVE.

Bob F

Nov 8, 2017, 2:51:35 PM11/8/17

ItsJoan NotJoann

Nov 8, 2017, 6:35:33 PM11/8/17
By all means, keep this NINE YEAR OLD dead as a door nail thread alive.

tjke...@gmail.com

Feb 7, 2018, 5:29:31 PM2/7/18
ItsJoan NotJoann - If you don't like the thread, then just don't read it. I am currently having this exact issue and have found this thread very useful - minus the troll commenters of course - absolutely NO-ONE finds those useful! truly, the trolls are the only OLD and sad thing here!!!

ItsJoan NotJoann

Feb 8, 2018, 8:52:13 PM2/8/18
On Wednesday, February 7, 2018 at 4:29:31 PM UTC-6, TJ Kemball wrote:

> ItsJoan NotJoann - If you don't like the thread, then just don't read it. I am currently having this exact issue and have found this thread very useful - minus the troll commenters of course - absolutely NO-ONE finds those useful! truly, the trolls are the only OLD and sad thing here!!!

Troll?? HAHAHAHAAAAAAAAA!! You're a hoot, I've been posting here for
a looooong time which is more than can be said for you.

pdu...@gmail.com

Sep 9, 2019, 7:51:59 AM9/9/19
Sadly- I am :(

Isabella Vercetti

Sep 8, 2020, 8:49:13 PM9/8/20
Well I'm on it and it helped me. You were also on it, so clearly it's not "dead as door nail" lol.

ItsJoan NotJoann

Sep 8, 2020, 8:59:46 PM9/8/20
Great, a top posting idiot.

If you look hard enough you can even dig up some 25+-year-old posts.
That'll impress everyone.