The caliber of Verizon Wireless' customer service reps

1 view

VZW Sucks

Mar 2, 2005, 10:26:44 PM3/2/05

Quaoar

Mar 2, 2005, 11:34:54 PM3/2/05
VZW Sucks wrote:
> http://www.azcentral.com/community/chandler/articles/0225CR-harass25Z6.html

Every customer service organization is an example of "no good deed will
go unpunished". One misstep tars the entire service organization with
the broad brush of reputed incompetence.

Frankly, I've had nothing but very capable, polite service from VZ
customer support in the four years I've been a customer. I expect that
I will receive the same for years.

Steve Sobol

Mar 3, 2005, 12:04:12 AM3/3/05
Quaoar wrote:
> VZW Sucks wrote:
>
>>http://www.azcentral.com/community/chandler/articles/0225CR-harass25Z6.html
>

> Every customer service organization is an example of "no good deed will
> go unpunished". One misstep tars the entire service organization with
> the broad brush of reputed incompetence.

The guy obviously has emotional and/or psychological problems. You'd have to be
a complete moron to believe that all VZW employees or even all VZW CSRs are
this way.

Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / sjs...@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

--New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"

cmoschip

Mar 3, 2005, 10:31:49 PM3/3/05
On 3 Mar 2005 03:26:44 -0000, vzw_...@yahoo.com (VZW Sucks) wrote:

>http://www.azcentral.com/community/chandler/articles/0225CR-harass25Z6.html

My personal experience - excellent customer service with Verizon. I
get the impression they want me as a customer - soemthing I never got
with Cingular, Nextel or AT&T (pre-merger)

speedy

Mar 3, 2005, 10:58:10 PM3/3/05
When I CALL customer service all but a few have been courteous and
competent. Of course a few havent so I just hang up and call back to get
one that is. Now in the Verizon STORE thats a different story. The
emplyess there are the worst I have had to deal with.

-Pete

Quick

Mar 4, 2005, 12:19:07 PM3/4/05
speedy wrote:
> When I CALL customer service all but a few have been
> courteous and competent. Of course a few havent so I just
> hang up and call back to get one that is. Now in the
> Verizon STORE thats a different story. The emplyess there
> are the worst I have had to deal with.

I think the difference is that the workforce employed in
the stores is much more transient (and lower paid). I
have rarely dealt with the stores except to walk in for
something physical like an accessory or have a phone
flashed. I already know exactly what I want or want done
before I walk in the door.

-Quick

Quaoar

Mar 4, 2005, 12:38:54 PM3/4/05

I know what you mean about the stores. The "report in and let us decide
what to do with you" routine is demeaning. OTOH, much of what one does
in the store can be done on the web. Vz's corporate image is not being
forwarded by their store practices, but the service is great once in
front of a rep. It's the interminable wait and that gatekeeper routine.

Andrew

Mar 7, 2005, 7:23:21 PM3/7/05
In alt.cellular.verizon Quick <quick71...@nospamyahoo.com> wrote:

: >
: > I've had mixed experiences with Verizon CS. Last week I
: > got my bill and noticed a $2.99 charge for a "Get it Now"
: > download I did not do. Actually, my Nokia 3589i was in my
: > pocket, unlocked (once in a blue moon I forget to lock
: > it), and on silent mode; after coming out of a movie, I
: > noticed my phone was playing some sort of game! I
: > immediately canceled it, but got my bill and saw the
: > $2.99 charge.
: >
: > Anyway, I explained to the CS rep that hadn't downloaded
: > the game, it had probably happened by mistake while the
: > phone was unlocked in my pocket.

: Yea, right. How would you respond?

: "I have a $2.99 charge for GIN and I want it removed."
: "Did you use GIN? Download? Games?".
: "NO. Well, I did find my phone playing a game one
: time but I didn't have anything to do with it."

I have never played a game on my phone and I would disable
"Get-it-Now" if I could. I did not download the game. The CS rep
could have noticed that I have never used "Get-it-Now" in the last 14
months I've had Verizon service. And she might not have insisted it
that something that actually happened was impossible.

: > She said that this was impossible and asked in a
: > kind of condescending way that I take better care
: > of who uses my phone.

: Yes, I can imagine she was referring to you...
: More support for my feeling that people should be
: required to obtain a license to operate a cell phone.

I guess when Verizon wants to charge you extra for stuff you don't use
you'll just bend over and take it? With customers who don't care what
they are charged, no wonder Verizon has no incentive to change.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----

Quick

Mar 7, 2005, 7:41:23 PM3/7/05

They don't charge me for extra stuff I don't use.
I happen to consider that if I pushed the button that *I*
used it. I don't consider the fact that I put an unlocked
candy bar style phone in my pocket to be the carrier's
fault. In fact, that is one reason that I prefer clamshell
style phones. I also wouldn't consider it the carrier's
fault if I didn't know what the buttons on my phone
did either. I think they did just fine giving you a 1 time
grace on the charge. If you didn't have control over
the charges then I would agree with you. Like receiving
txt messages. They do offer the option to have them
turned off though.

Sorry, I just don't see "but I didn't mean to do it" as
a valid excuse here.

-Quick

SoCalMike

Mar 7, 2005, 7:42:24 PM3/7/05
Andrew wrote:
> I have never played a game on my phone and I would disable
> "Get-it-Now" if I could.

FWIW, virgin mobile's "virgin extras" is easily shut off via online
account access. i also shut off caller ID sending/receiving.

George Grapman

Mar 7, 2005, 7:51:47 PM3/7/05
When I got my newest phone it had instructions for checking my usage.
Type in a series of buttons and the details appear on the screen. As the
manual said "best of all, the call is free". True, but the text message
with the information was not free.
Now I simply call 611 which is free.

--
To reply via e-mail please delete 1 c from paccbell

Bill

Mar 7, 2005, 8:22:07 PM3/7/05

George Grapman wrote:

> When I got my newest phone it had instructions for checking my usage.
> Type in a series of buttons and the details appear on the screen. As the
> manual said "best of all, the call is free". True, but the text message
> with the information was not free.

Are you sure about that? I haven't tried it but I thought the
details regarding that feature said that the message WAS free.

Bill

George Grapman

Mar 7, 2005, 8:25:02 PM3/7/05

I was not clear. This discussion is abut Verizon but my carrier is
Cingular.

Bob Ward

Mar 7, 2005, 8:31:37 PM3/7/05
On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 14:53:47 -0800, "Quick"
<quick71...@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

>Yes, I can imagine she was referring to you...
>More support for my feeling that people should be
>required to obtain a license to operate a cell phone.
>

>-Quick

Lucky for you they don't require a license (or even an IQ test) to
post to usenet.

Quick

Mar 7, 2005, 9:06:33 PM3/7/05
Bob Ward wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 14:53:47 -0800, "Quick"
> <quick71...@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:
>

>> Yes, I can imagine she was referring to you...
>> More support for my feeling that people should be
>> required to obtain a license to operate a cell phone.

> Lucky for you they don't require a license (or even an IQ

> test) to post to usenet.

That's why I'm not on those forum thingies... I couldn't
qualify. -:)

-Quick

Andrew

Mar 7, 2005, 10:34:23 PM3/7/05
In alt.cellular.verizon Quick <quick71...@nospamyahoo.com> wrote:
: They don't charge me for extra stuff I don't use.

...yet.

: I happen to consider that if I pushed the button that *I*

: used it. I don't consider the fact that I put an unlocked
: candy bar style phone in my pocket to be the carrier's
: fault. In fact, that is one reason that I prefer clamshell
: style phones. I also wouldn't consider it the carrier's
: fault if I didn't know what the buttons on my phone
: did either.

I know exactly what the buttons do. I never said the game hadn't been
ordered - I told the CS rep that the phone had been in my pocket,
unlocked by accident, and that that's how the game had probably been
downloaded. She said that was *IMPOSSIBLE* and asked who else was
using my phone. I told her the truth as to exactly what happened, and
she basically called me a liar. I guess that's what really pissed me
off. She didn't say "It's your fault that your phone was unlocked,"
she said, "You unlocked phone DID NOT cause the game to be downloaded
by accident" (i.e. I downloaded the game on purpose or someone had
snatched the phone from my pocket - during the movie I guess - ordered
the game, then stuck the phone back in my pocket without me knowing
about it.)

: I think they did just fine giving you a 1 time

: grace on the charge. If you didn't have control over
: the charges then I would agree with you. Like receiving
: txt messages. They do offer the option to have them
: turned off though.

Yeah, and they do NOT offer an option to turn off "Get-it-now". I am
pretty sure that is by design, knowing that if people could disable
"Get-it-now", they would make less money.

Alex Zepeda

Mar 7, 2005, 10:42:07 PM3/7/05
On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 14:53:47 -0800, Quick wrote:

> Yes, I can imagine she was referring to you... More support for my
> feeling that people should be required to obtain a license to operate a
> cell phone.

How about to raise children?

Or to be issued a SSN?

Pot, kettle, black.

--
alex

Quick

Mar 8, 2005, 12:14:35 PM3/8/05

I have no doubt that you may have run into a less than
pleasant rep. who may have speculated when they shouldn't
have. It happens. You're not the most cordial person either.

>> I think they did just fine giving you a 1 time
>> grace on the charge. If you didn't have control over
>> the charges then I would agree with you. Like receiving
>> txt messages. They do offer the option to have them
>> turned off though.
>
> Yeah, and they do NOT offer an option to turn off
> "Get-it-now". I am pretty sure that is by design,
> knowing that if people could disable "Get-it-now", they
> would make less money.

Right, I'm sure they are making millions from people
inadvertently downloading GIN stuff.

-Quick

Philip R. Mann

Mar 8, 2005, 1:59:29 PM3/8/05
On 7 Mar 2005 22:35:13 GMT, Andrew wrote:

>I asked if "Get It Now" could be disabled or removed from my phone and
>she said that it could not.

If you go to the Security Settings and set Restricted Calls to On, you won't be able to use Get It Now or the Web Browser without manually changing that setting. (Also means you can only telephone numbers stored in the phone, again unless reset.)

Quick

Mar 9, 2005, 4:27:17 PM3/9/05
som...@somewhere.org wrote:
> In misc.consumers.frugal-living Andrew

> <usenet...@bizavemyshoes.com> wrote:
>
>> I have never played a game on my phone and I would
>> disable "Get-it-Now" if I could.
>
> I signed up for Verizon Wireless service on Monday.
> Called Verizon customer service and cancelled text
> messaging, wireless web, and Get-it-Now access
> from my account on Tuesday. I think there may
> have been a three minute investment in my time
> to get it disabled.

Foul!!
1) You appear to know way too much about what
you signed up for.
2) You called proactively rather than wait for the
problem to occur and then get mad about it.
3) You've pretty much trashed this thread.

-Quick

som...@somewhere.org

Mar 9, 2005, 4:11:32 PM3/9/05
In misc.consumers.frugal-living Andrew <usenet...@bizavemyshoes.com> wrote:

> I have never played a game on my phone and I would disable
> "Get-it-Now" if I could.

I signed up for Verizon Wireless service on Monday. Called Verizon

Andrew

Mar 9, 2005, 7:15:06 PM3/9/05
In alt.cellular.verizon som...@somewhere.org wrote:

Perhaps the CS rep I spoke to lied to me, because when I asked (twice)
she told me it could not be disabled on my phone. Since I have heard
before that it cannot be disabled on the National Access (which I
have), I believe I am stuck with it.

som...@somewhere.org

Mar 10, 2005, 1:00:20 PM3/10/05
In misc.consumers.frugal-living Andrew <usenet...@bizavemyshoes.com> wrote:
> In alt.cellular.verizon som...@somewhere.org wrote:
> : In misc.consumers.frugal-living Andrew <usenet...@bizavemyshoes.com> wrote:

> : > I have never played a game on my phone and I would disable
> : > "Get-it-Now" if I could.

> : I signed up for Verizon Wireless service on Monday. Called Verizon
> : customer service and cancelled text messaging, wireless web, and
> : Get-it-Now access from my account on Tuesday. I think there may have been
> : a three minute investment in my time to get it disabled.

> Perhaps the CS rep I spoke to lied to me, because when I asked (twice)
> she told me it could not be disabled on my phone.

You keep saying you can't disable it on your phone, from your phone, etc.
You are correct. You can not lock out these features from being used on
your phone. You can however disable this feature on your account at
Verizon's end so the phone can not retrieve the data and you can't get
billed for it.

> Since I have heard before that it cannot be disabled on the
> National Access (which I have), I believe I am stuck with it.

Believe what you like.

I have America's Choice Family Share (a national plan).
All I did was call CS, and tell them I wanted to remove text messaging,
wireless web, and Get-it-Now access from my account. It took about 30
seconds to take effect. I was told it was disabled for both lines
before I even get off the phone with them.

Andrew

Mar 11, 2005, 10:33:25 AM3/11/05
[...]

Yes, but I do want to use the phone as a cell modem with my laptop to
put it on the internet (a service that uses only my voice minutes and
does not cost extra). So I do not want to disable all data on the
phone. But I do not want to download games or surf the web or
anything else into my phone with "Get it Now."

Quick

Mar 11, 2005, 12:29:37 PM3/11/05

I see... so you're afraid that if you disable GIN on your account
they will turn off the 1xRTT feature on your account?

Technically the terms of your agreement exclude internet access
without a data plan. I suppose you'll be up in arms again if they
charge you for that some time in the future right?

So you are ranting about an accidental GIN download that was
your fault (refunded) and could have been prevented if you
had GIN disabled but you're afraid to do that because you
might lose the internet access that you're stealing?

-Quick

Andrew

Mar 11, 2005, 11:54:34 PM3/11/05
In alt.cellular.verizon Quick <quick71...@nospamyahoo.com> wrote:
: I see... so you're afraid that if you disable GIN on your account

: they will turn off the 1xRTT feature on your account?

: Technically the terms of your agreement exclude internet access
: without a data plan.

No they don't. Data is simply not explicitly mentioned as an included
feature of America's Choice, so that if they choose Verizon can start
charging for data at some point in the future without violating their
contracts.

You aren't so naive to think that Verizon wouldn't disable internet
access on the America's Choice plan if they wanted to, are you?

: I suppose you'll be up in arms again if they charge you for that

: some time in the future right?

: So you are ranting about an accidental GIN download that was
: your fault (refunded) and could have been prevented if you
: had GIN disabled but you're afraid to do that because you
: might lose the internet access that you're stealing?

Ya can't read very well huh? I said at least twice that I told the CS
agent that the download had happened by accident because the phone was
unlocked in my pocket, and she insisted that that was *impossible*
even though that was exactly what happened. This is what really
pissed me off. Did you understand it the third time? Shall I try
smaller words?

Quick

Mar 12, 2005, 12:30:54 AM3/12/05

No need. That pretty much puts things in perspective.

-Quick

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Steve Sobol

Mar 13, 2005, 1:18:35 AM3/13/05
American Idle wrote:

> Are we to believe that the system will download a game simply because
> a single button or perhaps two buttons get pushed at random?? What
> does it take to download something you do want?

Several keypresses. You generally need to confirm that you want to download the
content you just asked to download, too.

>>Yeah, and they do NOT offer an option to turn off "Get-it-now". I am
>>pretty sure that is by design, knowing that if people could disable
>>"Get-it-now", they would make less money.

Sprint said the same thing to me about PCS Vision, which I currently am not
using because I don't have the money to pay $10-$15/month for the unlimited
access and I don't wish to pay per kilobyte. Had a handful of Vision charges
over the past couple months that I don't believe I incurred (or may have
accidentally incurred), and got credited with no hassles, but the first time I
asked for Vision to be disabled on their end, I was told "we can't do that".
The second time it was done, supposedly. I guess maybe I should check...

Sometimes, with cellular carriers, it's just a question of asking around until
you get a customer service rep that is Clue-Endowed. :)

Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / sjs...@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

--New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"

Andrew

Mar 13, 2005, 3:23:10 AM3/13/05
In alt.cellular.verizon Michelle Steiner <mich...@michelle.org> wrote:
: I have a clamshell phone, so the buttons can't accidentally be pressed.
: Further, I have passworded the get it now and some other functions, so
: in order to use them, I'd have to enter my phone's password. It's a
: Motorola phone; I don't know whether other brands have the same
: functionality.

I happen to prefer Nokia phones so of course my Nokia phone is not a
clamshell. Although I am fanatical about locking it, once in a blue
moon I forget. I don't really want to have to have to use a password
just to unlock my phone. If I could put a password on Get It Now only
and forget the password, that would effectively disable it :-), but I
don't think I can do that on my phone.

Andrew

Mar 13, 2005, 3:34:13 AM3/13/05
In alt.cellular.verizon American Idle <ut...@any.net> wrote:
: Are we to believe that the system will download a game simply because
: a single button or perhaps two buttons get pushed at random?? What
: does it take to download something you do want? If it takes a
: sequence of more then 2 sequential button pushes of specific buttons I
: have a hard time seeing how that would happen accidentally PLUS
: wouldn't it also require the sequence to end by pushing the SEND
: button?

Probably does require that sequence and SEND (not sure because I've
never done it intentionally). Whether you would have a hard time
believing it or not is irrelevant to me because that's what actually
happened. I guess if I called Verizon every week with the same story,
they might see a pattern - but I resented being hassled about this the
first time I ever called to ask for a charge to be removed (she took
off the charge but chided me that she was noting in my account not to
do so in the future). A sharper CS rep would have noticed that in my
16 months of service I've never called before to have a charge
removed, nor have I ever used or been billed for any "Get It Now"
features.

Even if she didn't believe me, effectively calling me a liar (or
careless about who is using my phone) was not a professional
response. She should have said something like, "Well, these things
can happen I guess. I'll remove the charge this time but please be
more careful about locking your phone, OK?" and if I called again with
the same excuse every month, the next CS rep could deal with it a
different way. You always give the customer the benefit of the doubt
the first time, not call him a liar.

Bill

Mar 13, 2005, 9:47:42 AM3/13/05
It doesn't matter what company is involved when human beings are
working together. Sexual harassment does go on. What is important is
how the management deals with it.

My only problem with Verizon, who I have used for over six years now
is that THEY WILL PUT EXTRA CHARGES ON YOUR STATEMENT WHEN THEY BILL
YOU! Every time I make any change to my account extra charges will be
put on my bill at the end of the month. I think they do it to
everybody and most people don't pay attention. I just call and bitch
about it and they take it off the bill. I bet alot of people don't say
a word and just pay the bill.

They're fucking deceitful assholes in the billing department but they
have the best coverage in my area so I put up with their bullshit
panzy assed accounting department..

Here's the interesting part of this story...Cingular is planning an
all out war against Verizon to take their customers away...Cingular
has the financial backing to kick Verizon's financial ass...just keep
watching whats happening...soon there may be a real good alternative
to Verizon!

Bill

Tropical Haven

Mar 13, 2005, 10:33:41 AM3/13/05
> I happen to prefer Nokia phones so of course my Nokia phone is not a
> clamshell.

Nokia is going to be producing some nice clamshells coming up, but
they're all for GSM carriers.

Message has been deleted

Gene

Mar 13, 2005, 6:43:42 PM3/13/05
On 13 Mar 2005 08:34:13 GMT, usenet...@bizaveMYSHOES.com (Andrew)
wrote:

>Even if she didn't believe me, effectively calling me a liar (or
>careless about who is using my phone) was not a professional
>response. She should have said something like, "Well, these things
>can happen I guess. I'll remove the charge this time but please be
>more careful about locking your phone, OK?" and if I called again with
>the same excuse every month, the next CS rep could deal with it a
>different way. You always give the customer the benefit of the doubt
>the first time, not call him a liar.

So, I am curious. did you write/or call management and tell them
this sort of thing is what is about to cause you to end contract when
time is up?

Chuck Drake

Mar 13, 2005, 6:51:43 PM3/13/05
I know if I pinch my audiovox 9500(flip open phone, while it is closed) just
right it will shut off . I would guess other phones may do the same or
engage other functions.
"Michelle Steiner" <mich...@michelle.org> wrote in message
> In article <zcasdcfyfyh...@bizaveMYSHOES.com>,

> usenet...@bizaveMYSHOES.com (Andrew) wrote:
>
>> I asked if "Get It Now" could be disabled or removed from my phone
>> and she said that it could not. I don't want it and have never used
>> it. As I see it, "Get it now" is just a way for Verizon to charge me
>> by accident for crap i don't want, and they obviously will not remove
>> accidental charges in the future...

> I have a clamshell phone, so the buttons can't accidentally be pressed.
> Further, I have passworded the get it now and some other functions, so
> in order to use them, I'd have to enter my phone's password. It's a
> Motorola phone; I don't know whether other brands have the same
> functionality.
>
> --
> Stop Mad Cowboy Disease: Impeach the son of a Bush.

Philip R. Mann

Mar 15, 2005, 1:57:37 AM3/15/05
On 13 Mar 2005 08:34:13 GMT, Andrew wrote:

>: Are we to believe that the system will download a game simply because
>: a single button or perhaps two buttons get pushed at random?? What
>: does it take to download something you do want? If it takes a
>: sequence of more then 2 sequential button pushes of specific buttons I
>: have a hard time seeing how that would happen accidentally PLUS
>: wouldn't it also require the sequence to end by pushing the SEND
>: button?
>
>Probably does require that sequence and SEND (not sure because I've
>never done it intentionally).

On the Vax the Send button is never used in the sequence --- you use only the the GIN button (which thereafter serves as the left arrow), the 3 other direction keys and the okay button located in the middle. The whole thing is located at the qualmish hinge, just where a quarter might get lodged if both are in your pocket. The Vax denies access to GIN when security is set to restrict outgoing calls.

Just checking, Trying to find something to download (preferably free) took 10-15 minutes which should be list under message units on your bill. If not, maybe someone was accessing your account at myvtext.com or one of its offshoots.

CellGuy

Mar 15, 2005, 9:01:00 AM3/15/05
On 12 Mar 2005 04:54:34 GMT, Andrew wrote:

> You aren't so naive to think that Verizon wouldn't disable internet
> access on the America's Choice plan if they wanted to, are you?

Actually they can't if you use the phone to dial an ISP other than for VZW's
web access. I access Earthlink numbers this way, at 14.4 kbps (fine for
email).

Quick

Mar 15, 2005, 2:13:23 PM3/15/05

Sure they can. A data call (even circuit switched) is set
up differently than a voice call. The phone tells the network
that it is a data call. The network uses different parameters
for codec, silence suppression, echo cancelation, etc.

You would be correct if you are using an acoustic modem,
but you may not be old enough to have seen one,
you probably wouldn't consider 900 baud a connection,
and I don't think they ever made any acoustic couplers
that would fit a cellular handset... :)

-Quick

Larry

Nov 21, 2009, 12:18:07 AM11/21/09
som...@somewhere.org wrote in news:UW%Xd.24133$Az.5851@lakeread02:

How long has it been since you set your computer's CLOCK?

Your post says 2005! Are you trying to be a smartass?

--
Larry

Message has been deleted

clams_casino

Nov 21, 2009, 5:49:32 PM11/21/09
Larry wrote:

>How long has it been since you set your computer's CLOCK?
>
>Your post says 2005! Are you trying to be a smartass?

He probably posted it via AOL in 2005 and it's just showing up.

aemeijers

Nov 21, 2009, 11:32:09 PM11/21/09
Michelle Steiner wrote:
(snip)

My first thought when seeing this subject line was 'Why? Do you want to
shoot them out of a cannon?'

--
aem sends...

The Real Bev

Nov 21, 2009, 11:50:42 PM11/21/09
aemeijers wrote:

> Michelle Steiner wrote:
> (snip)
>
> My first thought when seeing this subject line was 'Why? Do you want to
> shoot them out of a cannon?'

I would have thought the answer would be obvious.

--
Cheers, Bev
Don't you just KNOW that there is more than one