Personal GreenHouses

VFW

Apr 26, 2010, 2:36:47 PM4/26/10
If you cut the bottom out of a gallon bottle it makes a great little
greenhouse for each plant.
We look for clear glass gallons all year round.
--
Enjoy this moment ! Thanks. g.

The Henchman

Apr 26, 2010, 5:45:03 PM4/26/10

"VFW" <geor...@toast.net> wrote in message

Is there plastic that can do this to??

Jeff Thies

Apr 26, 2010, 7:28:16 PM4/26/10

Why not?

It doesn't matter so much what the glazing is, as long as there is
some barrier. The wavelengths you need are passed about equally, for
either glass or clear PET.

Greenhouses are often covered in polyethelene, for that matter. It's
cheap, just needs replacing more often.

Jeff

Rod Speed

Apr 26, 2010, 8:35:18 PM4/26/10
The Henchman wrote
> VFW <geor...@toast.net> wrote

>> If you cut the bottom out of a gallon bottle it makes a great little greenhouse for each plant.

>> We look for clear glass gallons all year round.

> Is there plastic that can do this to??

Yep, the clear ones work fine.

Michael Black

Apr 27, 2010, 11:04:32 AM4/27/10

Indeed, that's what I thought he was going to suggest or ask about.

I can't remember where I saw it, but just recently I saw instructions
for basically a lean-to that you put against the wall of your house. A
bit of wood for a frame, than a larger area that would be covered in
plastic, angled to get the best sun. Simple and cheap, it provides a
place to get your seedlings going before it's warm enough to actually
plant in the ground. They actually included a door or something, because
it could get too hot under the right conditions.

Michael

VFW

Apr 27, 2010, 11:26:54 AM4/27/10
In article <83mpq8...@mid.individual.net>,
"Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote:

I've heard even milky gallon jugs work if you cut the bottom but leave
one side attached. like a flap to then weight down. Wind , ya know.
Happy gardening!
and you can even grow wild stuff on public lands. Like Jerusalem
artichokes. plant once and go back to harvest. it reseeds itself , needs
no attention. and is good for you.
you don't even have to "own" the land.

Jeff Thies

Apr 27, 2010, 7:37:13 PM4/27/10

I built, what we refer to as the "solar cabana". It has an arched
roof made out of 1" pvc (like a hoop) and is held together with 2*2s.
The arch gives more headroom near the edge, a straight slant would have
a bit less heat loss. I'm really happy with it and started my seeds in
it. I only have a lot of sun when it's cold and the trees are barren,
but then it's a champ and a delight.

There's a lot of plans on the net. I highly recommend the door!

Jeff

> Michael

Jeff Thies

Apr 27, 2010, 7:43:36 PM4/27/10
VFW wrote:
> In article <83mpq8...@mid.individual.net>,
> "Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The Henchman wrote
>>> VFW <geor...@toast.net> wrote
<snip>

> Happy gardening!
> and you can even grow wild stuff on public lands. Like Jerusalem
> artichokes. plant once and go back to harvest. it reseeds itself , needs
> no attention. and is good for you.
> you don't even have to "own" the land.

As it happens there's a vacant lot across the street from me (with
more sun than I have), I can't get easily get water there, but it would
be nice to do something there.

Any other recommendations?

Jeff
Atlanta, 7b

VFW

Apr 27, 2010, 11:54:00 PM4/27/10
In article <hr7sfb$dq8$1...@news.albasani.net>,
Jeff Thies <jeff_...@att.net> wrote:

I think it Zome Works that makes a automatic vent. It opens when the
parafin in a closed system melts and flows to counter-balance the "door"
No electricity needed.
Cool !

Jeff Thies

Apr 28, 2010, 7:28:40 AM4/28/10

Not at the moment at least:

http://zomeworks.com/products

Cool idea though. Seems to me there used to be bimetal, or something
like that, that changed shape at a set temperature. Can't find that
either...

Jeff