Micorwave went south and now we need

anthona

Dec 27, 2013, 12:54:18 PM12/27/13
a replacement, mostly for reheating and on rare occasions cooking a tv dinner. This MW lasted just barely 2 1/2 years and just completely stopped. We don't want another one. Looking into toaster ovens, but there are so many and so many different prices. All we want is something that can cook baked potato's, reheat a cup of coffee ( we make a full pot in morning but by the time we have a second cup its lukewarm even in a carafe ) cook a tv dinner when necessary. No HOT top and teflon interior sheet and timer. Any good suggestions?

Michael Black

Dec 27, 2013, 1:06:01 PM12/27/13
A toaster oven won't cook fast. It just means you don't heat the kitchen
warming up the oven, which in the winter is often a good thing.

A toaster oven is just a small oven, nothing magic. If you heat your
coffee in there, how long does it take? You can't cook a baked potato in
five minutes in a toaster oven, indeed, I remember cooking frozen french
fries and they didn't come out so well.

That said, toaster ovens are pretty plentiful in the garbage, I assume
people just no longer using them, rather than because they are broken.
Someone gave us one, and then it just sat around once a microwave oven
arrived.

One might even find a used microwave oven, I imagine when the students
move out at the end of the year, if any microwave ovens get tossed then
chances are good that they are still good.

Michael

Gary Heston

Dec 27, 2013, 7:45:37 PM12/27/13
In article <fd7e2a68-7b1f-491b...@googlegroups.com>,
Not sure why you don't want another microwave; it does what you need
done and isn't very expensive these days.

However, perhaps a something like a nuWave oven or one of the
similar-sized convection ovenswould work for you.

Gary

Bob F

Dec 27, 2013, 10:41:11 PM12/27/13
Replace the fuse if it's blown. I've "repaired" several microwaves this way.
Never had to do it twice.

Message has been deleted

anthona

Dec 28, 2013, 10:53:42 AM12/28/13
Well that was what I wanted to check but they made it almost impossible to remove the 'screws' where the control panel is. One would have to buy a special type of tool and the cost of that alone may make it prohibitive to want to fix it. Also, there is no guarantee that it is a fuse ...is it?

anthona

Dec 28, 2013, 10:55:12 AM12/28/13
On Friday, December 27, 2013 11:16:37 PM UTC-5, Derald wrote:
> anthona <harri...@aol.com> wrote:
>

> >a replacement, mostly for reheating and on rare occasions cooking a tv dinner. This MW lasted just barely 2 1/2 years and just completely stopped. We don't want another one. Looking into toaster ovens, but there are so many and so many different prices. All we want is something that can cook baked potato's, reheat a cup of coffee ( we make a full pot in morning but by the time we have a second cup its lukewarm even in a carafe ) cook a tv dinner when necessary. No HOT top and teflon interior sheet and timer. Any good suggestions?
>
> Microwaves and toaster ovens are common yard sale and thrift store
>
> items.
>
> --
>
> Derald

Thanks, but not looking to buy a used item.

Bob F

Dec 28, 2013, 1:16:38 PM12/28/13
There is no guarantee, but sometimes it is the problem. You can sometimes open
the special screws using the blade of a small flat blade screwdriver that just
happens to be the right size to wedge into the special screw. Or, you can buy a
set of security tips at harbor freight or an auto parts store for $5 or so.

Dec 28, 2013, 2:05:23 PM12/28/13
On 12/28/2013 1:16 PM, Bob F wrote:
> anthona wrote:

>>> Replace the fuse if it's blown. I've "repaired" several microwaves
>>> this way.
>>>
>>> Never had to do it twice.
>>
>> Well that was what I wanted to check but they made it almost
>> impossible to remove the 'screws' where the control panel is. One
>> would have to buy a special type of tool and the cost of that alone
>> may make it prohibitive to want to fix it. Also, there is no
>> guarantee that it is a fuse ...is it?
>
> There is no guarantee, but sometimes it is the problem.

It is likely as it does nothing, no power. Worth a try. I'm with Bob.

You can sometimes open
> the special screws using the blade of a small flat blade screwdriver that just

> happens to be the right size to wedge into the special screw. Or, you can buy a
> set of security tips at harbor freight or an auto parts store for $5 or so.

Sometimes it is just one security screw. If you can get to it, have at
it with a drill or file. I used to use a pair of side cutters (dikes as
we called them) and bite into the sides of the screw and rotate.

Nothing beats a microwave for everyday reheating. Get another MW or fix
this one.

Jeff

BigDog811

Dec 28, 2013, 6:44:35 PM12/28/13
On Friday, December 27, 2013 10:54:18 AM UTC-7, anthona wrote:
> a replacement, mostly for reheating and on rare occasions cooking a tv dinner. This MW lasted just barely 2 1/2 years and just completely stopped. We don't want another one. Looking into toaster ovens, but there are so many and so many different prices. All we want is something that can cook baked potato's, reheat a cup of coffee ( we make a full pot in morning but by the time we have a second cup its lukewarm even in a carafe ) cook a tv dinner when necessary. No HOT top and teflon interior sheet and timer. Any good suggestions?

Another vote for investigating the fuse. Have only had one MW fail in the decades since our first "radar range" and that's exactly what it was. Fortunately it was still under warranty so it didn't cost anything to watch the repairman spend about ten minutes changing it.

Toaster ovens, as handy as they are, are not a good alternatives to MWs. We have and use both everyday. Except for limited capacity for baking and roasting I'd give up my conventional oven before the toaster oven.

BigDog811

Dec 28, 2013, 6:53:36 PM12/28/13
Oh, by the way. If your coffee is lukewarm by the second cup, you need a new coffeemaker too. The heating element under the carafe is burned out.

Dec 29, 2013, 10:47:43 AM12/29/13
On 12/27/2013 12:54 PM, anthona wrote:
> a replacement, mostly for reheating and on rare occasions cooking a tv dinner. This MW lasted just barely 2 1/2 years and just completely stopped. We don't want another one. Looking into toaster ovens, but there are so many and so many different prices. All we want is something that can cook baked potato's, reheat a cup of coffee ( we make a full pot in morning but by the time we have a second cup its lukewarm even in a carafe ) cook a tv dinner when necessary. No HOT top and teflon interior sheet and timer. Any good suggestions?

I just noticed the usages needed. I had a friend that didn't believe in
microwave ovens. He would come over to visit for an hour or so and then
tell us he had to get back home because his potato was almost done!

As far as reheating coffee, if it isn't a MW it's either stove top or an
immersion heater. You can't do this in any other form of oven. You would
have a hot cup with coldish coffee inside. Such is true with any other
reheating as anything other than microwaves heats from the outside in.

Jeff

anthona

Jan 1, 2014, 2:47:58 PM1/1/14
I agree about reheating in MV's...but just what did we do before MV came upon us? Coffee we simply put it into a small pan on top of a stove..Bake potatoe's we miss...short time for those.Emergency TV dinners would be the most good for a MV which takes about 3 to 5 minutes, a half hour in a conventional oven. We have been looking at the ads for NuWave ovens...they do look interesting, but what gets us is that during the informercials when they say ..."But wait..that is not all...get 2 of them for the price of one, all u have to do is spend extra for shipping charges..." which makes us think ...if they want to sell one for !00 bucks, getting two would lower the value to $50 each, which is probably what its worth anyway. All of a sudden their value went down 100%. The reviews pro and con are suspect..as most reviews of any product are..what employee is pretending to be a consumer so they can make more sales and gives it a thumbs up... Its a 'cruel' world.. LOL

Nicodemus

Jan 1, 2014, 3:18:51 PM1/1/14
anthona <harri...@aol.com> wrote in
another what on planet earth

---

The Real Bev

Jan 7, 2014, 1:17:54 AM1/7/14
On 12/28/2013 07:55 AM, anthona wrote:

> On Friday, December 27, 2013 11:16:37 PM UTC-5, Derald wrote:
>> anthona <harri...@aol.com> wrote:
>>
>>> a replacement, mostly for reheating and on rare occasions cooking
>>> a tv dinner. This MW lasted just barely 2 1/2 years and just
>>> completely stopped. We don't want another one. Looking into
>>> toaster ovens, but there are so many and so many different
>>> prices. All we want is something that can cook baked potato's,
>>> reheat a cup of coffee ( we make a full pot in morning but by the
>>> time we have a second cup its lukewarm even in a carafe ) cook a
>>> tv dinner when necessary. No HOT top and teflon interior sheet
>>> and timer. Any good suggestions?

Costco has a nice Panasonic for $100 that heats a cold cup of coffee in
a minute. The first one we bought died under warranty and was replaced.
a couple of months ago. So far, so good.

I bought a yard-sale toaster oven to bake things that I wanted to come
out crisp, but haven't had occasion to use it yet. Real Soon Now...

>> Microwaves and toaster ovens are common yard sale and thrift store
>> items.
>
> Thanks, but not looking to buy a used item.

I think that's kind of dumb, but we bought a used one for my mom which
we discovered, years later, contained a dried mouse in its innards which
clearly had climbed in at the factory. Before it was sold. There are
no guarantees. Ever.

--
Cheers, Bev
The early bird gets the worm, the second mouse gets the cheese.

The Real Bev

Jan 7, 2014, 1:22:12 AM1/7/14
On 12/28/2013 03:53 PM, BigDog811 wrote:

> Oh, by the way. If your coffee is lukewarm by the second cup, you
> need a new coffeemaker too. The heating element under the carafe is
> burned out.

I turn mine off as soon as it's finished working and just heat up a cup
when I want one. A 12-cup pot lasts perhaps 1.5 days. A friend stopped
leaving her coffeemaker on all the time and saved 50% on her electric bill.

BigDog811

Jan 7, 2014, 2:26:20 PM1/7/14
Oh my! I never reheat coffee by any method. My brewer is set turn off after 1 hour. I brew a half pot every morning from freshly ground premium beans from a local small batch roaster. What's not drunk within that hour gets poured down the drain. If I want another cup later in the day I do a pour over from a smaller batch of freshly ground beans.

Yeah...I'm a proud coffee snob.

The Real Bev

Jan 7, 2014, 2:34:56 PM1/7/14
On 01/07/2014 11:26 AM, BigDog811 wrote:

> Oh my! I never reheat coffee by any method. My brewer is set turn
> off after 1 hour. I brew a half pot every morning from freshly
> ground premium beans from a local small batch roaster. What's not
> drunk within that hour gets poured down the drain. If I want another
> cup later in the day I do a pour over from a smaller batch of freshly
> ground beans.
>
> Yeah...I'm a proud coffee snob.

I'm not. I once drank half a cup of hot water in a brown cup and
thought in the back of my mind "This is AWFULLY weak, I wonder who made
it..."

--
Cheers, Bev
"My life outside of USENET is so full of love and kindness that I have

BigDog811

Jan 8, 2014, 12:58:07 PM1/8/14
You made me smile, Bev. Reminds me of my father. He was the most non-discriminating coffee drinker I ever knew. When I was growing up we made coffee at home in one of those old fashioned stove top percolators. Left to his own devices he'd burn it every time. Then thought it was perfectly acceptable to cut it with hot tap water. I took over coffee brewing duties at home in my mid-teens.