Re: How many treadwear miles do we REALLY get for every 100 UTQG points?

1 view

_Pnina Gersten_

Aug 25, 2007, 11:04:25 AM8/25/07
On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 10:36:13 GMT, Androcles wrote:
>: So, my question is how many miles do we/you REALLY get
>: for every 100 points in a UTQG rating? In real life. Really.

> It's on the page you quoted.
> "The grading fixes 30,000 miles (48,279kms) as 100%

Hi Androcles,
Maybe I wasn't clear.

I was asking how many miles we REALLY get - not what some rating says.

I don't know ANYONE who gets 150,000 miles out of a 500 tire. Do you?

I'm gonna take a wild-eyed guess and say we need to subtract more than 66%
from the government numbers, so, that would make a 500 tire not 150,000
miles but 50 thousand miles in actual use on actual roads with actual
passengers and loads and actual driving in actual weather and traffic but
not abuse.

Do other agree that you only get about 1/3 of the government numbers?

Another way to put it is you only get about 10,000 miles for every 100
index in the UTQG tire rating.

With so many millions of USA drivers ... can't anyone else come up with a
number that they've found to be true for them?

_Pnina Gersten_

Aug 25, 2007, 11:21:20 AM8/25/07
On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 09:16:07 -0400, Nate Nagel wrote:
>> So, my question is how many miles do we/you REALLY get for every 100 points
>> in a UTQG rating? In real life. Really.
>
> I'd put more stock in the treadwear warranty of the tire than in the
> UTQG rating.

Hi Nate Nagel,

Being scientifically inclined, I prefer measurements to marketing.

IMHO, the tire manufacturer's "warranty" is a blatant marketing gimmick.
I'm always amazed at some of my friends who would rather quote a warranty
rather than a test result. IMHO, the "warranty" gibberish has absolutely no
bearing on anything other than pure marketing needs. Sure, you'll say they
don't warrant what they can't justify and I'll respond with sure, they need
to make money, but, how many times have YOU actually redeemed a
battery/brakepad/tire warranty in real life? I never do because
a) The warranty is prorated
b) You have to buy THEIR tire again from THEIR distributor and stock
c) You have to pay THEIR (inflated) price at that time
d) The warranty is prorated but you often end up paying MORE for the second
tire (due to conditions above) than the first tire! Ha. Warranty.

It's not you per se that makes me write this as I've taught many a friend
about testing standards - but anyone who quotes a marketing tool as science
has to get this lecture from me.

Having said that, does anyone of the millions of drivers out there actually
compare their mileage received with the government UTQG test results?

Androcles

Aug 25, 2007, 11:40:00 AM8/25/07

:
: > It's on the page you quoted.
: > "The grading fixes 30,000 miles (48,279kms) as 100%
:
: Hi Androcles,
: Maybe I wasn't clear.
:
: I was asking how many miles we REALLY get - not what some rating says.

You really get 30,000 miles. Really really, yes really. Maybe I wasn't
clear.
You really get 30,000 miles. Really really, yes really.
:
: I don't know ANYONE who gets 150,000 miles out of a 500 tire. Do you?

Yes. Trucks and buses ... not roller skates, though. The bigger the tyre,
the greater the miles.

: I'm gonna take a wild-eyed guess and say we need to subtract more than 66%

: from the government numbers, so, that would make a 500 tire not 150,000
: miles but 50 thousand miles in actual use on actual roads with actual
: passengers and loads and actual driving in actual weather and traffic but
: not abuse.

:
Are you? Well, that's a nice wild-eyed guess, but the gov said you get
30,000 miles and the tyre is worn out, nobody is going to pay the
slightest attention to a wild-eyed bigot too stupid to listen, and neither
am I. Now get out of sci.physics and take your idiotic rants with you.
*plonk*

_Pnina Gersten_

Aug 25, 2007, 11:45:42 AM8/25/07
On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 15:40:00 GMT, Androcles wrote:
> You really get 30,000 miles. Really really, yes really.
>: I don't know ANYONE who gets 150,000 miles out of a 500 tire. Do you?
> Yes. The bigger the tyre, the greater the miles.

I'm shocked that everyone gets the 150,000 miles a 500 UTQG treadwear
rating says you'll get based on an extrapolation of the first 7,200 miles
in ideal constant-speed conditions.

Thank you for your insight.

ray

Aug 27, 2007, 3:34:19 AM8/27/07
_Pnina Gersten_ wrote:

> Having said that, does anyone of the millions of drivers out there actually
> compare their mileage received with the government UTQG test results?

I don't. Why? There's more to a tire than just it's expected mileage
per set. I care more about traction (dry and snow) than whether the
tire makes it 50,000 miles or 500,000 miles. I've found tires have a
useful lifespan of <10 years, and I usually do about a max of 10,000
miles per year per car because I own multiple cars and thus the
sidewalls start to weathercrack or I don't even own the car anymore
instead of going through multiple sets of tires.

FWIW, my buddy way back when was doing lots of driving for work and his
Goodyear Inifitreads must have done 80-90k miles and still weren't worn
out, but that was all easy highway driving.

Ray

Aug 27, 2007, 2:11:22 PM8/27/07

I found this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treadwear_rating to be eye
opening and depressing.

Jay657

Oct 30, 2022, 3:45:08 PM10/30/22
LOL I never heard of anyone get 150,000 miles on any tire. I grew up in Buffalo, NY with severe winters and now live in Florida with brutally Most tires with a treadwear rating of 500 have a manufacturer’s warranty of 50,000 miles.

--
For full context, visit https://www.motorsforum.com/tech/how-many-treadwear-miles-do-we-really-get-for-every-100-utqg-60978-.htm