Cherry pitters made of wire -- Obsolete?

1 view

spamtrap1888

Jun 18, 2010, 3:34:41 PM6/18/10
I added two more relevant groups and edited the subject for clarity.

On Jun 18, 11:56 am, spamtrap1888 <spamtrap1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Having picked a quart and a half of sour cherries, I was panicking
> when I could not find my little made-in-Hong-Kong cherry pitter, the
> kind that slips over two fingers and is operated with the thumb.
>
> I thought, well this must be easy to find, only to discover that no
> grocery or hardware or kitchen supply store (e.g. Surly Table) within
> miles carries this any more.
>
> And this is the canonical cherry pitter according to wikipedia:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherry_pitter
>
> All I can find are great hulking things made out of pot metal,
> suitable for pitting olives, egg carton things that can pit four at a
> time, etc. None are suitable for relatively tiny sour cherries.
>
> What to do?

djb

Jun 18, 2010, 8:31:09 PM6/18/10
Have you tried Lehman's?

http://www.lehmans.com/

Dave

spamtrap1888

Jun 18, 2010, 8:40:51 PM6/18/10
On Jun 18, 5:31 pm, djb <smyrnaqui...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Have you tried Lehman's?
>
> http://www.lehmans.com/

The repair kit for their pitter costs more than what the simple pitter
should cost. :(

I probably should buy another strawberry huller just in case they quit
making those, too. I'll put it in my document safe.

Susan Bugher

Jun 19, 2010, 9:48:58 AM6/19/10
> On Jun 18, 11:56 am, spamtrap1888 <spamtrap1...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Having picked a quart and a half of sour cherries, I was panicking
>> when I could not find my little made-in-Hong-Kong cherry pitter, the
>> kind that slips over two fingers and is operated with the thumb.

<SNIP>

>> What to do?

Remove the eraser from a wooden pencil. Poke the (now empty) metal end
of the pencil through a cherry to remove the pit.

Quick, easy and almost free.

Susan

Lou

Jun 19, 2010, 11:07:22 AM6/19/10

"spamtrap1888" <spamtr...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Years ago my wife and I went to a pick-your-own farm and when we were done,
I asked the person who was weighing our pick how to pit the cherries. She
took a large wire paper clip, unfolded it, tucked it into her hand, and used
the smaller end to scoop out the pit. It took us less time to pit the
cherries than it did to pick them.

Giusi

Jun 20, 2010, 3:14:25 AM6/20/10

"Susan Bugher" <sebu...@yahoo.com> ha scritto nel messaggio

Sounds crazy enough to be true... thanks!

brooklyn1

Jun 20, 2010, 7:37:33 AM6/20/10
On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 09:14:25 +0200, "Giusi" <deco...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>true... thanks!

That's how you lost your cherry!

Susan Bugher

Jun 21, 2010, 9:59:32 AM6/21/10

You're welcome. :) It does work well - I've been pitting cherries that
way for decades. Before that (way, way back when) I had a house with
cherry trees in the yard and an elderly neighbor who had a cherry
pitter. Her cherry pitter was great for pitting enormous quantities of
sour cherries very quickly. Mostly the cherries came out in halves,
perfect for making cherry jam (yum, yum).

A similar pitter is shown here:
http://www.lehmans.com/store/Kitchen___Old_Fashioned_Cherry_Pitter___16T?Args=

Thanks to Dave for posting the Lehman's link. That's the first time I've
seen one of those pitters for sale.

Susan

Nancy2

Jun 21, 2010, 11:17:21 AM6/21/10
> > > What to do?- Hide quoted text -

I looked at Amazon, at Lehman's, etc., when I first saw the question,
and have yet to see the style she's looking for, although there are
all kinds of other styles.

N.