Hey driver, do you know why cyclists hate you?

His Highness the TibetanMonkey & the Spirits of the Jungle

Sep 25, 2010, 4:45:47 PM9/25/10
My local forum kindly provided me this article that shows why cyclists
are mad at you --if you are one those who dismiss cyclists as nothing
more than a monkey. Well, now that the monkeys are getting together,
you may have to think about it twice before... Hey, I don't to
politicize this article! Please read on...

(I changed the title)

Why Your Neighborhood Cyclist Hates You

Sure, you've laughed at cyclists' bulge-hugging Spandex shorts, rolled
your eyes when they use the street inches from the sidewalk, and if
you're a certain Latin pop star, you've even gotten drunk, hit them,
and then driven off with their bike still lodged in your front fender
while they lie bleeding on the side of the road. Asshole.

Ah, and let's not forget ladies, the bigger the truck the more
adorable you look. Even when you're texting, which has become such a
pain now that cyclists are sharing the road. What a nuisance. Well,
the feeling's mutual...kinda. The local cyclist we spoke to organizes
group rides to celebrate bicycles, encourage cycling, and to remind
drivers that they must share the road. Although this sounds about as
sweet as puppies and rainbows, there's still a few things that drivers
(and even cyclists) do that really jam up his gears:

1. Passing too closely
Hey buddy, there's a reason why there's a state law that every vehicle
must leave three feet of space between their car and a passing
cyclist. Would you want to inhale a lung-full of exhaust while an
8,000-pound machine whizzes two inches away from your vulnerable flesh
so they can get home in time to indulge in a Full House marathon and
binge on Sun Chips? We think not.

2. The right hook
This is when you speed up to pass a cyclist and then make an abrupt
right turn in their path. You usually underestimate your speed, which
means the cyclists has to stop abruptly so that don't crash into you.
For those who haven't experienced it firsthand, peacefully riding a
bike and then, all of a sudden, having your bike fly up and over your
head is more terrifying than thrilling.

3. Honking
Uh, yeah, driver, we kind of already know that you're there. You're
hard to miss. You're in a giant sedan. So, there's really no need to
honk. Unless you have one of those custom musical horns, it just makes
you look angry and obnoxious.

4. The door prize
Kudos on your awesome parallel parking skills and all but please, oh
please don't open your door without checking the bike lane first.
Otherwise, there'll be flesh crashing into metal and asphalt when the
cyclist flies off their bike and lands in traffic.

5. Cyclists who ride against traffic in the bike lane
For one, it's against the law, and creates a dilemma for fellow riders
who are obeying the rules. It's not fun to problem solve under three
seconds. Besides, if the unfortunate happens, and you do get hit by a
car on the wrong side, it's your fault. Don't ruin it for the rest of
us.

http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/cultist/2010/09/why_your_neighborhood_cyclist.php

***

By the way I hate cyclists who ride on sidewalks (rather fast) and
don't want to join the revolution.

http://webspawner.com/users/BIKEFORPEACE

Patricia Martin Steward

Sep 25, 2010, 9:01:03 PM9/25/10
On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 13:45:47 -0700 (PDT), "His Highness the
TibetanMonkey & the Spirits of the Jungle" <nolionn...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>5. Cyclists who ride against traffic in the bike lane
>For one, it's against the law, and creates a dilemma for fellow riders
>who are obeying the rules. It's not fun to problem solve under three
>seconds. Besides, if the unfortunate happens, and you do get hit by a
>car on the wrong side, it's your fault. Don't ruin it for the rest of
>us.

6. Cyclists who don't yield to a pedestrian in a crosswalk, like the
moron who nearly ran into me yesterday as I was crossing the street.

7. Cyclists who think red lights don't pertain to them.

--
We are becoming a country that believes the rich have earned their money but the well educated have not
earned their intellectual superiority. This leads to a nation that idolizes Kardashians.

His Highness the TibetanMonkey & the Spirits of the Jungle

Sep 25, 2010, 11:01:15 PM9/25/10
On Sep 25, 6:01 pm, Patricia Martin Steward <pats...@noteranews.com>
wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 13:45:47 -0700 (PDT), "His Highness the
> TibetanMonkey & the Spirits of the Jungle" <nolionnoprob...@yahoo.com>

> wrote:
>

> >5. Cyclists who ride against traffic in the bike lane
> >For one, it's against the law, and creates a dilemma for fellow riders
> >who are obeying the rules. It's not fun to problem solve under three
> >seconds. Besides, if the unfortunate happens, and you do get hit by a
> >car on the wrong side, it's your fault. Don't ruin it for the rest of
> >us.
>
> 6.  Cyclists who don't yield to a pedestrian in a crosswalk, like the
> moron who nearly ran into me yesterday as I was crossing the street.
>
> 7.  Cyclists who think red lights don't pertain to them.

I totally agree with #6, but #7 are OK if they don't threaten
pedestrians. Mostly they are mowed down by cars.

His Highness the TibetanMonkey & the Spirits of the Jungle

Sep 25, 2010, 11:01:31 PM9/25/10

On Sep 25, 4:22 pm, Conscience <obama...@fraud.gov> wrote:
> On 2010-09-25 16:20:30 -0700, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"
> <el...@nastydesigns.com> said:

> >> There are those of us who ride safely, defensively, and properly...
>
> > ...but you're three out of thirty million.
>
> > The world is full of "it's all about me, fuck you" egotists. And they
> > ride bicycles.
>
> On bicycles AND motorcycles.
>
> On two wheels, you don't argue with 3000 pounds of steel.
>
> But to be fair, at least 80% of four-wheeled drivers are too stupid to live.

And they have a License to Kill.

Now they can go ahead and kill me. ;)

People who can't tell among these three types of cyclists, shouldn't
be driving:

1- Lycra type = long distance reckless cyclists,

2- Single speed type = short distance reckless cyclists,

3- Utility type = using panniers for errands, not be confused with the
Huffy type (survivors) riding on sidewalks.

Type 1 and 2 accept the risk, but type 3 is slower and wants his
distance.

His Highness the TibetanMonkey & the Spirits of the Jungle

Sep 25, 2010, 11:07:13 PM9/25/10
On Sep 25, 4:56 pm, Hachiroku <anonym...@not-for-mail.invalid> wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 15:34:41 -0700, Conscience wrote:
> > On 2010-09-25 15:11:16 -0700, horse <ho...@wild.man> said:

> >> I've always wondered if those die hard bikers drive their cars the same way
> >> they ride?
> >> Like driving through stop signs. Most all bikers feel stop signs do not
> >> include them. Pedestrians are a nuisance to them. Get the fuck out of my
> >> way man.
>
> >> Many states require mirrors. I've seen tons of them with neither mirrors
> >> nor mirrored glasses. When they want to switch a lane, they just do it. Not
> >> even bothering to look. If a biker falls off his bike in your presence,
> >> you get cited. Even though you did nothing.
>
> > There are those of us who ride safely, defensively, and properly, and
> > those whose ego makes them think drivers owe them respect.
>
> > A fatal kind of ego that loses against 3000 pounds of steel.
>
> Really. But there arfe fools who try to "take back the road" and if you
> hit them, you're at fault, no matter what. There are a few arrogant
> bastards around here that must think "I'm a vehicle, too, so I'm going to
> ride right in the middle of the road", on a 45 or 50 MPH road. Or ride two
> abreast on corners.
>
> Some of them are trying to qualify for the Darwin Awards, I think...

Let's put it nicely: They are in a kamikaze mission to save the world.

pussnboots

Sep 26, 2010, 12:59:59 AM9/26/10

K, cyclist, I'll tell you why I hate you---

You don't merge with traffic
You don't give the right of way, but always expect it for yourself--your
not a sailboat-your self-powered!
You don't ever stay in your own lane
And when out riding your bike to save the enviorment, you act as if you
don't have a gasoline powered car at home--so much better than the rest
of us.

One last thing, and this is a cheap shot......your workout clothes SUCK!

Tonechallenge wrote:
> I am VERY glad that VSS has joined this forum! This place is WAY more
> fun with him here! Cheers!

Tannim

Sep 26, 2010, 1:28:18 AM9/26/10

BAHAHAHAHAHA! That last point was awesome, pnb!

- I a m b u t m a d n o r t h - n o r t h w e s t . W h e n
t h e w i n d i s s o u t h e r l y , I k n o w a h a w
k f r o m a h a n d s a w . -

Don Klipstein

Sep 26, 2010, 2:38:52 AM9/26/10
In <4b69200a-6e31-4419...@h13g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>,
His Highness the TibetanMonkey & the Spirits of the Jungle wrote:

I propose some practice of some of Philadelphia's law enforcement
officers:

Don't bitch out cyclists for running red lights if the cyclists first
yield to, stopping if necessary, to everyone who has a green light or
walk signal, both vehicle and pedestrian.

And go by the "Golden Rule" - do unto others as you would have them do
unto you. Especially as considered by someone who is a bigtime cyclist,
but is also often a pedestrian and further also owns a car and drives it
about 40% as much as driving his motorless 2-wheel street-legal vehicle
that has 2 pedals for propulsion from carb-burning fat-burning power.

Which means, don't get in the way of those with green light or walk
signal, don't force stopping/slowdown/evasive-action by those with
green light or walk signal, and don't startle those taking right-of-way
that you have to yield by yielding merely by inches to a couple feet or
half a second or less.
--
- Don Klipstein (d...@misty.com)

Don Klipstein

Sep 26, 2010, 3:05:22 AM9/26/10
In <pussnboo...@no-mx.lewis-county=dot=org.null>, pussnboots wrote:

How about commentary from another cyclist?

>K, cyclist, I'll tell you why I hate you---
>
>You don't merge with traffic

I do, and I push my fellow cyclists to yield to those that the law
requires yielding to, by safe and comfortable margin, in return for
law enforcement officers to not "bitch out" those cyclists who do this
while falling short of stopping when/where the law requires stopping.

(Heck, I see law enforcement practice of not ticketing cars for merely
slowing to "safe speed" and yielding to those they have to yield to when
approaching stop signs in a USA state where the law requires "completely
stopping" for stop signs.)

>You don't give the right of way, but always expect it for yourself--your
>not a sailboat-your self-powered!

On the other hand, I go by "The Golden Rule" on the road, whether I am
driving a human-powered 2-wheel vehicle or a 4-wheeled "cage" that has a
motor! As in, do unto others as whoever in question would want to do
likewise, and not change how I want the game played by changing vehicles!

>You don't ever stay in your own lane

I normally do. The main exception for me is getting around a car
that is double-parked within a block, often within 150 feet, of a space to
pull into, to the right of traffic lanes including any bike lanes.
Sometimes, I am even swerving around a car double-parked against a space
that the stopped car in question is free including legally free to pull
into. And I mean stopping for loading/unloading purposes as opposed to
for a red light.

>And when out riding your bike to save the enviorment, you act as if you
>don't have a gasoline powered car at home--so much better than the rest
>of us.

I own and pay insurance on a gasoline-powered 4-wheeled "cage" that
I drive around 1/3 to 40% as much as I drive 2-wheeled vehicles motored
by my body via pedals.

>One last thing, and this is a cheap shot....your workout clothes SUCK!

I cycle for my cycling "day job" in my work clothes.

My commuting cycling is at least 90% of the way done in my "day job
work clothes".

No "Spandex" there in the past 20 years, except for this past Halloween
where I dressed up as a delivery biker for a restaurant, along the lines
of a nurse being able to dress up as a nurse for a Halloween party in ways
significantly different from those "in a modern nurse job".
Even then, only for the last 1.5 customer-visible hours of one 13-plus
hour Saturday shift.
Furthermore, I wore denim shorts over my Spandex tights under my
oversize custom "Halloween apron" that I also wore a "workplace-allowed"
shirt under, even for "later Halloween night". Before that time that
day, I wore dress slacks and a long sleeve white dress shirt, with nothing
over those except my "Halloween apron". Then, I looked "nice / sharp /
"formal", though "a bit silly".

<SNIP what appears to me now to be straying from this track>

Forrest Hodge

Sep 26, 2010, 12:25:58 PM9/26/10
On 9/25/2010 4:45 PM, His Highness the TibetanMonkey & the Spirits of

1. Passing too closely

On two lane roads, with no real shoulder let alone any sidewalk or bike
path. There's really little the drive can do if there is oncoming
traffic in the opposite lane.

2. The right hook

Sounds like poor planning on driver's part

3. Honking

More of a safety thing. If the cyclist doesn't use hand signals, or
doesn't acknowledge that you are there, or is otherwise occupied by
his/her Ipod, then you need to get the cyclists attention some how, it
would be foolish to simply assume that he/she somehow already knows the
car there via the Force or something.

4. Door Prize

I've never seen this, mostly because I live in a semi-rural area and
there's no parking on the street.

5. Cyclists who ride against traffic in the bike lane

Again never I've never seen this in person

6. Cyclists who don't yield to a pedestrian in a crosswalk

I've seen this happen downtown, but not where I live, since there are
very few, if any crosswalks.

7. Cyclists who think red lights don't pertain to them.

This I have seen, and it's a problem. Just because you're on a bike, it
doesn't mean that traffic laws do not pertain to you. I did once see a
bicyclist pulled over after pulling this stunt.

Doc O'Leary

Sep 26, 2010, 2:01:43 PM9/26/10
In article <i7ns6f$mt6$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,
Forrest Hodge <fo...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> 1. Passing too closely
>
> On two lane roads, with no real shoulder let alone any sidewalk or bike
> path. There's really little the drive can do if there is oncoming
> traffic in the opposite lane.

Heaven forbid they should slow down for 5 seconds until the opposing
traffic passes, or at least be going slow enough when they pass the
cyclist that a dangerous speed difference does not exist.

> 2. The right hook
>
> Sounds like poor planning on driver's part

There is tons of poor planning when it comes to drivers. They
consistently seem to under-estimate how fast a bike can be. Another bit
of dumb behavior is them shooting off the line at a stop light to get
ahead of you, even when it's clear there is going to be another stop on
the next block. Same speed compensation issue with the right hook; they
refuse to slow down and turn *behind* a mere cyclist!

> 3. Honking
>
> More of a safety thing.

And yet when I immediately respond to their safety warning by taking the
lane, they seem upset! Which is to say, that's bullshit. I've never
heard a honk that was a safety warning. They honk because you are a 5
second inconvenience on a bike, and they would much rather you be a 5
minute inconvenience in a car. They honk because they have no idea that
I can hear other traffic because I'm not surrounding by glass and steel.

> 4. Door Prize
>
> I've never seen this, mostly because I live in a semi-rural area and
> there's no parking on the street.

It's a non-issue in most urban environments, too, unless you happen to
be riding at a time when a lot of people are getting in and out of cars.
I try to ride defensively, though, which means I'm always looking for
people, and seldom close enough to parked cars for a door to catch me.

> 5. Cyclists who ride against traffic in the bike lane
>
> Again never I've never seen this in person

It's another rare thing hardly worthy of mention. Nor is it a difficult
problem to solve: the person going the right way moves to take the lane,
allowing the idiot to carry on.

> 6. Cyclists who don't yield to a pedestrian in a crosswalk
>
> I've seen this happen downtown, but not where I live, since there are
> very few, if any crosswalks.

I've never seen this happen. I would fully support any pedestrian in
knocking over the bicyclist in self defense. What I see *more* of is a
cyclist using their skills to maneuver *through* pedestrian traffic. If
you're a driver in a big car (or a nervous pedestrian), you might not
appreciate how safe and easy this is.

> 7. Cyclists who think red lights don't pertain to them.
>
> This I have seen, and it's a problem. Just because you're on a bike, it
> doesn't mean that traffic laws do not pertain to you. I did once see a
> bicyclist pulled over after pulling this stunt.

Again, you might not appreciate how few traffic lights actually *do*
pertain to cyclists, or pedestrians! If I'm not riding a huge vehicle
at high speeds, it should be obvious that not all the same rules equally
apply. It is usually safe for an observant cyclist to treat a stop sign
as a yield, and if they're wrong then they're going to feel it!

Tell you what, drivers can bitch about bikes not obeying all stop signs
on they day they agree to obey all speed limit signs. Deal?

--
My personal UDP list: 127.0.0.1, localhost, googlegroups.com, astraweb.com,
and probably your server, too.

Patricia Martin Steward

Sep 26, 2010, 8:04:16 PM9/26/10
On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 13:01:43 -0500, Doc O'Leary

<drolear...@3q2010.subsume.com> wrote:

>Tell you what, drivers can bitch about bikes not obeying all stop signs
>on they day they agree to obey all speed limit signs. Deal?

No. At least in my state, bicyclists have to obey the same traffic
rules.

Forrest Hodge

Sep 26, 2010, 8:29:06 PM9/26/10
On 9/26/2010 2:01 PM, Doc O'Leary wrote:

> Tell you what, drivers can bitch about bikes not obeying all stop signs
> on they day they agree to obey all speed limit signs. Deal?

When bicyclists can keep up with the prevailing speed of traffic then
we'll talk.

Don Klipstein

Sep 27, 2010, 1:20:03 AM9/27/10
In <droleary.usenet-0A...@news.eternal-september.org>, Doc
O'Leary wrote in part:

>Tell you what, drivers can bitch about bikes not obeying all stop signs
>on they day they agree to obey all speed limit signs. Deal?

I drive both bikes and cars, though bikes 2-2.5 times as much as cars.

Speed limits have a high rate of appearing to me to be beaurocratic
government mandates...

So, I propose "Golden Rule"!

Do unto others that you want others to do unto you!

Obey speed limits, stop signs and traffic lights to the extent that
you want your fellow vehicle drivers to obey!

Do unto others with your bike what you want the "cagers" "fellow
vehicle drivers" to do unto you!

Certainly, I expect cyclists to have a high rate of doing such if
they want to survive to 50 years of age, when many cyclists still
"keep on truckin' " by bike look good in "Lycra" or bathing suits, and
few non-cyclists do.

And, it appears to me that cyclists have to deal with fellow vehicle
drivers on some fair basis, or else change vehicle choice to a "cage"
or otherwise "die young".

Don Klipstein

Sep 27, 2010, 1:24:36 AM9/27/10

I do a lot of cycling keeping up with "prevailing speed in traffic
lane".

Often, that is anywhere from "easy" to "merely mildly difficult" to
do in the "Center City" and "University City" parts of Philadelphia!

pussnboots

Sep 27, 2010, 2:15:02 AM9/27/10

I posted to this thread last night--why doesn't it show??? is it because
I actually showed why i disliked cyclist...with good reason? Boon if
there's some hokey-pokey going on will you please shut this one
down.....

Duane Hebert

Sep 27, 2010, 8:43:53 AM9/27/10
"His Highness the TibetanMonkey & the Spirits of the Jungle" <nolionn...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> 5. Cyclists who ride against traffic in the bike lane
> For one, it's against the law, and creates a dilemma for fellow riders
> who are obeying the rules. It's not fun to problem solve under three
> seconds. Besides, if the unfortunate happens, and you do get hit by a
> car on the wrong side, it's your fault. Don't ruin it for the rest of
> us.

Why just in bike lanes? I hate cyclists who ride against traffic. (notice the period)
It's enough to worry about the car behind me that's trying to get on the highway
as I pass the entrance ramp without worrying about the idiot on the bike
coming toward me against traffic and in my face. This happens way too
often (like maybe 45 minutes ago) and they usually have their iPod in the ears.
The rules of the road here are that pedestrians walk against traffic and some cyclists
think that includes them I guess. Which is probably why they think it's
ok to wear ipods.

His Highness the TibetanMonkey & the Spirits of the Jungle

Sep 27, 2010, 8:56:39 AM9/27/10

If we can't go up to their speed, we should bring 'em down to ours.

We need more vehicles like these...

http://www.evfinder.com/NEVs.htm

Tell ya what, THE RIGHT LANE IS ONLY FOR BICYCLES AND NEV'S.

I will sign the decree soon.

His Highness the TibetanMonkey & the Spirits of the Jungle

Sep 27, 2010, 8:58:25 AM9/27/10
On Sep 27, 5:43 am, "Duane Hebert" <s...@flarn.com> wrote:
> "His Highness the TibetanMonkey & the Spirits of the Jungle" <nolionnoprob...@yahoo.com> wrote in messagenews:b38b3b9c-a5f1-42f0...@b34g2000yqm.googlegroups.com...

Just try to avoid a head on collision with them.

Many cyclists swear (they are the survivors) that they are safer that
way.

Duane Hebert

Sep 27, 2010, 9:09:32 AM9/27/10
"His Highness the TibetanMonkey & the Spirits of the Jungle" <nolionn...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Problem is that you sometime have to choose between hitting
them and swerving in front of the car. The thing that bugs me
the most is that the iPods prevent them from hearing me
scream at them <g>

Sep 27, 2010, 9:42:27 AM9/27/10

> Problem is that you sometime have to choose between hitting
> them and swerving in front of the car. The thing that bugs me
> the most is that the iPods prevent them from hearing me
> scream at them <g>
Or the idiot kids who come blazing down the steep hill from the high school
at over 40 mph (speed limit is 30 mph) on the tree-lined SIDEWALK on the
LEFT side of the road. So...I'm at a stop sign, waiting to turn right, and I
look right, and don't see anything except trees, then look left, and start
to turn right. Kid FLIES past me, and I still can't believe I didn't hit
him. And, of course, the kid was wearing an iPod instead of a helmet. If the
timing had been different, he'd have rammed into the side of my car and gone
flying. How, exactly, can anyone be so dumb? I feel sorry for the poor
driver who kills this kid.

Doc O'Leary

Sep 27, 2010, 1:47:42 PM9/27/10
In article <i7oogd$q6u$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,
Forrest Hodge <fo...@hotmail.com> wrote:

I think I see your confusion: speed limit signs note the *maximum* speed
you're supposed to travel at, not the *minimum*. Where I live, we are
taught that before being licensed to drive.

But I like your style. Let's amend the rule to fairly consider both
sides. My proposal, based on your observation that cars are faster than
bikes: any driver who cannot outpace a cyclist between two points (e.g.,
traffic lights) will have their license revoked. Agreed?

Doc O'Leary

Sep 27, 2010, 1:55:47 PM9/27/10
In article <slrnia0ac...@manx.misty.com>,
d...@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) wrote:

> Do unto others with your bike what you want the "cagers" "fellow
> vehicle drivers" to do unto you!

We got the idea of rolling through stop signs from watching *all* the
cars doing it, not from seeing the *rare* cyclist do it. But drivers go
out of their way to bitch about the cyclist for some reason. I would
*welcome* an increase in stop sign/traffic light enforcement, because it
would be 100x more burdensome to car drivers.

His Highness the TibetanMonkey & the Spirits of the Jungle

Sep 27, 2010, 2:15:19 PM9/27/10
On Sep 27, 6:09 am, "Duane Hebert" <s...@flarn.com> wrote:
> "His Highness the TibetanMonkey & the Spirits of the Jungle" <nolionnoprob...@yahoo.com> wrote in messagenews:56e9bbe1-cd32-4d1f...@30g2000yqm.googlegroups.com...

"A man gotta do what a man gotta do"

Stupidity is NOT rewarded in the jungle.

Cindy Hamilton

Sep 27, 2010, 3:41:50 PM9/27/10
On Sep 25, 4:45 pm, "His Highness the TibetanMonkey & the Spirits of
the Jungle" <nolionnoprob...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Hey, cyclist, we drivers don't care who you hate.

His Highness the TibetanMonkey & the Spirits of the Jungle

Sep 27, 2010, 3:52:22 PM9/27/10
On Sep 27, 12:41 pm, Cindy Hamilton <angelicapagane...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> On Sep 25, 4:45 pm, "His Highness the TibetanMonkey & the Spirits of
>
> the Jungle" <nolionnoprob...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> Hey, cyclist, we drivers don't care who you hate.

If we loved you, you'd reincarnate in a higher species not a rat.

"Where's the rat race leading to?"

Just zis Guy, you know?

Sep 27, 2010, 5:39:36 PM9/27/10
On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 20:29:06 -0400, Forrest Hodge <fo...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

Been to London lately? Every commuter race I have ever seen in London
has been won by the bike.

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/
The usenet price promise: all opinions offered in newsgroups are guaranteed

Forrest Hodge

Sep 27, 2010, 6:33:07 PM9/27/10
On 9/27/2010 8:56 AM, His Highness the TibetanMonkey & the Spirits of

I know it doesn't pertain to you, and your philosophy,but most of us
have jobs that we need to get to and from. Artificially lowering the
speed limits (even more than they already are) would hurt productivity
and/or just increase the number of hours the gainfully employed would
have to stay at work.

Forrest Hodge

Sep 27, 2010, 6:40:08 PM9/27/10
On 9/27/2010 5:39 PM, Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 20:29:06 -0400, Forrest Hodge<fo...@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 9/26/2010 2:01 PM, Doc O'Leary wrote:
>>

>>> Tell you what, drivers can bitch about bikes not obeying all stop signs
>>> on they day they agree to obey all speed limit signs. Deal?
>>>

>> When bicyclists can keep up with the prevailing speed of traffic then
>> we'll talk.
>
> Been to London lately? Every commuter race I have ever seen in London
> has been won by the bike.
>
> Guy

Can't say I have, I haven't been to Britain in about 10 years. I'm an
American that lives in a semi-rural area. There are no sidewalks, and
there are no bike lanes on my commute to work. What there is though is a
two lane road with a speed limit of 45 MPH, and a prevailing speed of
around 50 MPH. There are is one stop light along the 5 mile route I
take, but it's at the end/begining. It would near suicide to try to bike
that during rush hour and dicey at best at other times. I'll keep
driving my 450+ HP supercharged Mustang and leave the cycling for the
back roads on the weekend, which is much more pleasant and safe IMHO.

His Highness the TibetanMonkey & the Spirits of the Jungle

Sep 27, 2010, 6:57:02 PM9/27/10

There you go: Work, Work and no pleasure! You must see this movie with
Julia Roberts where the Italians laugh at the Americans.

Their secret to happiness? They ride scooters!

Joy Beeson

Sep 27, 2010, 7:44:23 PM9/27/10
wrote:

> When bicyclists can keep up with the prevailing speed of traffic then
> we'll talk.

When cars can keep a steady enough pace that a bike rider behind one
doesn't have to stand on the pedals and ride the brakes
simultaneously, then we can talk.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

Forrest Hodge

Sep 27, 2010, 8:07:36 PM9/27/10
On 9/27/2010 6:57 PM, His Highness the TibetanMonkey & the Spirits of
the Jungle wrote:
> On Sep 27, 3:33 pm, Forrest Hodge<f...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> On 9/27/2010 8:56 AM, His Highness the TibetanMonkey& the Spirits of

Who said anything about no pleasure? I have adequate time to pursue my
interests and still have a job. Financing my hobbies takes money though,
so having a steady income is part of the deal. Or should I expect others
to pay for my wants/needs instead?

His Highness the TibetanMonkey & the Spirits of the Jungle

Sep 27, 2010, 10:11:59 PM9/27/10

By riding a bike to work and/or shopping you can both have fun and
save money.

Forrest Hodge

Sep 27, 2010, 10:26:41 PM9/27/10
On 9/27/2010 10:11 PM, His Highness the TibetanMonkey & the Spirits of
the Jungle wrote:
> On Sep 27, 5:07 pm, Forrest Hodge<f...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> On 9/27/2010 6:57 PM, His Highness the TibetanMonkey& the Spirits of
Riding a bike to work or shopping is not practical for me, I also
consider driving fun.

tmclone

Oct 5, 2010, 4:58:26 PM10/5/10
wrote:

> Hey, cyclist, we drivers don't care who you hate.

We just wish you'd refrain from trying to self-darwinate in front of
us.

His Highness the TibetanMonkey & the Spirits of the Jungle

Oct 5, 2010, 5:25:28 PM10/5/10

I won't believe you unless you drive a small car with stick shift.

My '98 Lexus is really depressing. And if the car is good, then
traffic sucks.

His Highness the TibetanMonkey & the Spirits of the Jungle

Oct 5, 2010, 5:28:54 PM10/5/10

Some people are willing to do so in order to appear in the "6 o'clock
news."

I just hate drivers for being lazy, pussy and destroying the
environment.