U.S. government to steal one hour

rocket scientist

Oct 31, 2009, 8:46:53 PM10/31/09
it's not fair. ;)

Gary Heston

Oct 31, 2009, 11:01:50 PM10/31/09
In article <georgespamk-E259...@news.isp.giganews.com>,

rocket scientist <georg...@toast.net> wrote:
>it's not fair. ;)

They're only borrowing it for a few months; you'll get it back in
the spring.

Gary

--
Gary Heston ghe...@hiwaay.net http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/
"Where large, expensive pieces of exotic woods are converted to valueless,

Joe Negron

Nov 1, 2009, 1:03:02 AM11/1/09
On 2009-11-01, Gary Heston <ghe...@hiwaay.net> wrote:
>In article <georgespamk-E259...@news.isp.giganews.com>,
>rocket scientist <georg...@toast.net> wrote:
>>it's not fair. ;)
>
>They're only borrowing it for a few months; you'll get it back in
>the spring.

For what purpose? Isn't it, by now, counterproductive?

A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman, of the next
generation.
--J.F. Clarke

War is good for business - invest your son.
--antiwar bumper sticker from the 1960s
Joe Negron from Bensonhurst, Brooklyn, NY, USA

Annie Woughman

Nov 1, 2009, 1:35:31 AM11/1/09

"Gary Heston" <ghe...@hiwaay.net> wrote in message

> In article <georgespamk-E259...@news.isp.giganews.com>,
> rocket scientist <georg...@toast.net> wrote:
>>it's not fair. ;)
>
> They're only borrowing it for a few months; you'll get it back in
> the spring.
>

> Gary

You have that backwards. They borrowed it last spring and are giving it
back now. You have an extra hour to sleep tonight.

rocket scientist

Nov 1, 2009, 8:13:55 AM11/1/09
In article <D69Hm.8248$Js....@newsfe10.iad>,
"Annie Woughman" <anniew...@hotmail.com> wrote:

yeah, but I'm up as usual to my own "clock". And I forgot to mention.
Some clocks don't like to be pushed backwards. esp. electric ones , ones
with motors and gears. better to unplug and wait and hour or so.
change the calendar to November too.

Lou

Nov 1, 2009, 11:21:27 AM11/1/09

"Gary Heston" <ghe...@hiwaay.net> wrote in message
> In article <georgespamk-E259...@news.isp.giganews.com>,
> rocket scientist <georg...@toast.net> wrote:
> >it's not fair. ;)
>
> They're only borrowing it for a few months; you'll get it back in
> the spring.

It's the other way around - at the end of October, we go back to standard
time. The hour gets "borrowed" in the spring, when we go from standard time
to daylight savings time.

Message has been deleted

Nov 1, 2009, 7:06:15 PM11/1/09

"rocket scientist" <georg...@toast.net> wrote in message

> it's not fair. ;)

Umm, how, exactly, are they "stealing an hour"? Time just happens, it's all
about how it's measured. "Time" CANNOT be stolen.

RickMerrill

Nov 1, 2009, 7:41:21 PM11/1/09

Ho ho - that is relative! There was a time that the King decreed a time
change that "cheated" the workers of about 2 weeks of pay and they were
pissed! Maybe someone remembers the story.

� Jeem �

Nov 2, 2009, 4:01:02 PM11/2/09

And the bars get to stay open an extra hour.

Lou

Nov 2, 2009, 7:44:59 PM11/2/09

"RickMerrill" <Rick0....@gmail.nospam.com> wrote in message

I doubt that anyone "remembers" the change, since it occurred in 1752. 11
days were dropped when England (and English America) changed from the Julian
calendar (adopted by Julius Caesar in 45 BC) to the Gregorian (developed by
Pope Gregory XIII in 1582 AD). That month, people earned 11 days less pay,
but landlords tried to collect rents for a full month. People were
understandably not happy.

sf

Nov 4, 2009, 11:26:02 AM11/4/09
On Sun, 01 Nov 2009 19:41:21 -0500, RickMerrill
<Rick0....@gmail.nospam.com> wrote:

>h wrote:
>> "rocket scientist" <georg...@toast.net> wrote in message
>>> it's not fair. ;)
>>
>> Umm, how, exactly, are they "stealing an hour"? Time just happens, it's all
>> about how it's measured. "Time" CANNOT be stolen.
>>

>Ho ho - that is relative!

In any case, they give it back in the Spring.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.