Making people exercise

TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher

Jul 22, 2012, 12:51:22 AM7/22/12
On Jul 21, 9:14 pm, "kamerm" <kame...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher wrote:

> > We walked and walked today. Many miles, up and down. We got there.
> > Then we had pizza by the lake. We lied down and rested. And we finally
> > caught a ride on the way back. He was a nice fellow who offered his
> > cramped seat, and he was our human contact today. Many people fat out
> > there, perhaps because driving is mandatory.
>
> > And we are home. It was a gorgeous day well lived. How about that?
>
> marvelous :-)
>
> sounds like a typical day.  reason one doesn't hear many stories like that,
> is once life levels out, there's less need to tell folks about it, but very
> good to hear.

Well, "seven days without exercise makes one weak," and I do feel
strong today. You may feel inspired by me or you may feel inspired by
Turkey. They are implementing changes to make people fit and
healthy...

"With more and more Turks in treatment for obesity-triggered diseases
such as hypertension and diabetes, the government has started pushing
health and dietary tactics, along with the television and newspaper
ads, to urge Turks to eat less and work to lose weight.

Over the summer, family doctors will distribute pedometers, so people
can record their walking distance, and monitor the progress of their
overweight patients."

http://news.yahoo.com/turkey-fights-back-ballooning-weight-gain-164405565.html

Such things never happen in America. Actually we are not planning to
repeat those walks on the edge of the road. We found a skunk dead by
the road and whatever happens to a skunk can happen to you. But we are
coming to NYC soon and there's hope. I read that's the healthiest
place in America because they are doing like the Turks. You can make
people strong and smart by implementing strong and smart policies.
Weak policies make weak people.

You just say you heard it from the TibetanMonkey.

TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher

Jul 22, 2012, 11:03:15 AM7/22/12
On Jul 22, 5:38 am, thirty-six <thirty-...@live.co.uk> wrote:
> On Jul 21, 11:45 pm, "TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher"
>

> <thetibetanmon...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Jul 21, 11:48 am, thirty-six <thirty-...@live.co.uk> wrote:

> > > I went to the town,
> > > And who went with me?
> > > I went up and down
> > > But no-one could I see.
>
> > We walked and walked today. Many miles, up and down. We got there.
> > Then we had pizza by the lake. We lied down and rested. And we finally
> > caught a ride on the way back. He was a nice fellow who offered his
> > cramped seat, and he was our human contact today. Many people fat out
> > there, perhaps because driving is mandatory.
>
> Maybe the pizza is mandatory.  I remember as a child, a vet telling be
> not to give my dog bread as it will strain her heart.   No doctor ever
> told me it was happening to me yet removing all wheat was my first
> step away from breathlessness and staying concious for most of the
> day.
>

> > And we are home. It was a gorgeous day well lived. How about that?
>
> As long as you don't get stuffed with pizza, modern bread is evil.
> Actually I wonder whether it's only hard wheat fllour which has been
> contributary to my illness.

In the meantime Turkey is making bread more wholesome...

"And in a change introduced July 1, bread is now sold with less salt
and more wholewheat flour, making it richer in fibre, a key change for
a country where bread is a mainstay of the national diet"

I'm not sure the metabolism of the dog and I are the same, or whether
we are ready for a scientific diet like dogs are. We may enjoy a few
choices to pick from, and all we do is eat that stuff twice a day. We
just add water.

TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher

Jul 22, 2012, 11:38:18 AM7/22/12
On Jul 22, 12:32 am, "TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher"
<thetibetanmon...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Over the summer, family doctors will distribute pedometers, so people
> can record their walking distance, and monitor the progress of their
> overweight patients."

http://news.yahoo.com/turkey-fights-back-ballooning-weight-gain-164405565.html

"A study published in June by the London School of Hygiene and
Tropical Medicine, and based on 2005 figures, showed that 74 percent
of the North American population was overweight, with 56 percent in
Europe, 29 percent in Africa and 24 percent in Asia."

"The average (weight) is increasing everywhere. Everybody is getting
fatter, even the thin people are getting fatter," co-author Ian
Roberts told AFP at the time.

But there is hope.

"Obesity is a preventable disease. It's enough to slim down to extend
your life expectancy and quality of life," Yavuz said.

So it turns out that America is #1, Europe #2 and Africa and Asia
down the line. Of course, this is a questionable position at the top
but it goes to show we are losing the battle of the bulges. But
there's hope.

***

A comment someone posts:

Let me tell you I have been to Turkey and they are light wieghts and
look good compared to the "trunks" on the "women" in US public
housing. I'm talking BIG butts, legs and arms, a 240 shorty would be
small compared to these buffarillas. I have seen them as big as
500/700lbs, no problem, and they are always looking for (and find) a
free grezzy meal). I'm talking BIG!!! There ain't no hunger problems
in US public housing!!

But I don't know why he stops at "public housing." Any church is full
of them. Most drivers are like that. Men too. The statistics show 3
out of 4 are fat. And many people are unfit without being obese. It's
in their genes as well.

This is something the people of NYC don't have to live with but it's
not much of a choice anywhere else. If you don't walk or ride a bike,
chances are you'll be fat. Going to the gym is not an option. It ain't
fun. The monkey needs to roam free.

TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher

Jul 22, 2012, 7:31:19 PM7/22/12
Germany seems to be that perfect place for easy hiking, almost to the
point that you wonder why not ride a mountain bike. It sounds like fun
but I know in some areas hiking and mountain biking do conflict.

http://easyhiker.co.uk/why-go-hiking-in-germany/

Now, this is another question that may seem like stupid: Do you need a
trail to hike the woods? Mind you, there's no dense vegetation as in
the jungle where you really need your machete.

And finally, can we extrapolate that Germans are fitter because they
have bike lanes and trails? Or is it just that they eat better?

I know, I know, it sounds like the musings of an idle mind. And
perhaps they are. Maybe I should go and watch a movie. That's what my
neighbor is doing.

TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher

Jul 22, 2012, 10:55:45 PM7/22/12
On Jul 22, 10:07 pm, "kamerm" <kame...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher wrote:
>

> > On Jul 22, 8:46 pm, liaM <cud...@mindless.com> wrote:

> >> That's what's strange about the Land of the Free. Hardly any hiking
> >> trails outside public lands.
>
> >> There are paths with swing gates (so that livestock may not cross)
> >> across private land everywhere in England, ditto most anywhere in
> >> Europe.
>
> > The problem is hiking is free and nothing is free in the Land of the
> > Free. You may be shot at out there.
>
> North East is pedestrian friendly (especially Boston).  Bicycling's a bit
> tougher because of narrow, twisty roads.  Around here, cyclists come out in
> packs after work, but are pretty scarce the rest of the day.  Walkers,
> joggers, runners are anytime.
>
> -k

Boston should be pretty interesting. San Francisco, the Pacific
northwest and Colorado too.

States where the car is mandatory score very low in my quality of life
scale. We should put together this scale based on the following
points:

1- Walking/hiking,

2- Biking (suburban areas with bike lanes),

3- Public transportation,

4- Littering/recycling,

5- Green areas, etc.

Other areas fall within the category of "My community is full of
crap."

Message has been deleted

Judith

Jul 23, 2012, 7:08:08 AM7/23/12
On Mon, 23 Jul 2012 06:58:37 +0200, Tosspot <Frank...@gmail.com> wrote:
>Hessen is about to ban mountain bikes on all but schotterwegs;
>
>http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=298217

Excellent news.

TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher

Jul 24, 2012, 7:02:37 PM7/24/12
On Jul 23, 7:08 am, Judith <jmsmith2...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
Wait, is this Germany or what?

I'm not against banning bikes, just regulating them where they could
be a problem. On a bike you could the best of those extensive trails
found in Germany. This would not be hardcore mountain biking, but
something that perhaps could be done on a beach cruiser.

In America though bikes are part of the landscape on sidewalks and I'm
against that. There are kids and elderly people on those sidewalks.

Alan Holmes

Jul 25, 2012, 4:27:11 PM7/25/12

"TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher" <nolionn...@yahoo.com>
wrote in message
What has this to do with uk newsgroups?

Alan Holmes

Jul 25, 2012, 4:28:15 PM7/25/12

"Tosspot" <Frank...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hessen is about to ban mountain bikes on all but schotterwegs;
>
> http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=298217

As I have said, what has this to do with uk newsgroups?

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher

Jul 26, 2012, 10:35:46 AM7/26/12
On Jul 25, 4:28 pm, "Alan Holmes" <alan.holme...@virgin.net> wrote:
> "Tosspot" <Frank.Le...@gmail.com> wrote in message
Isn't it the 51st State?

Whatever we decide here should influence the UK.

Forrest Hodge

Jul 26, 2012, 6:39:11 PM7/26/12
Just go jogging for about 3 miles two or three times a week, and you're
pretty much set.

TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher

Jul 28, 2012, 11:39:52 AM7/28/12
> >http://news.yahoo.com/turkey-fights-back-ballooning-weight-gain-16440...
>
> > Such things never happen in America. Actually we are not planning to
> > repeat those walks on the edge of the road. We found a skunk dead by
> > the road and whatever happens to a skunk can happen to you. But we are
> > coming to NYC soon and there's hope. I read that's the healthiest
> > place in America because they are doing like the Turks. You can make
> > people strong and smart by implementing strong and smart policies.
> > Weak policies make weak people.
>
> > You just say you heard it from the TibetanMonkey.

> >http://webspawner.com/users/BANANAREVOLUTION
>
> Just go jogging for about 3 miles two or three times a week, and you're
> pretty much set.

If I went back to my racewalking my problems would be over. But I was
trying to do something better for the environment, more social,
practical...

TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher

Jul 28, 2012, 11:38:18 AM7/28/12
On Jul 25, 5:53 pm, James <james.e.stew...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 25/07/12 23:02, Hauke Fath wrote:
>

> > TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher

> >> Wait, is this Germany or what?
>
> >> I'm not against banning bikes, just regulating them where they could
> >> be a problem. On a bike you could the best of those extensive trails
> >> found in Germany.
>
> > Well - hike on any trail near a town, and downhill mtb riders will be on
> > you like wild boars. Most are weight conscious, and leave politeness at
> > home.
>
> > It annoys me - forget about walking side-by-side with your spouse; older
> > folks may find it quite disturbing.
>
> > The initiative of the Hessian provincial government is still a purely
> > populist move (they have little else to show), but there is a
> > background.
>
> Some people are rude.  There is nothing more to it.  When I was riding
> trails a lot more, I was always as polite as possible to all other trail
> users, yet now there are signs on the trails I used to enjoy banning
> bikes.  I feel like saying stuff the signs and ride the trail anyway,
> but then I'd be a polite law breaker.
>
> There's always a few rotten apples in the bushel.  No reason to spoil it
> for the rest.

Exactly. That's pure discrimination.

If they don't want cyclists on the same trails, let them make similar
trails for cyclists. I don't mean those to test your prowess, but
those for quiet leisure bike ride through the woods.

And since they can not prove I'm reckless, let me enjoy the trail too
please.

TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher

Jul 30, 2012, 9:59:31 AM7/30/12
(I may have given up my dream of riding a bike in America, but
walking... walking is the ultimate necessity of the human being.
Something we did for millions of years once we became bipedal. No
more, now we get on the car and go. Communities are made without
sidewalks, distances are long and barricades are erected. Such I think
while I sit in the boondocks with no particular place to go. No trails
or nothing.)

On Jul 29, 8:57 am, Steve <stevencan...@yahooooo.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Jul 2012 05:28:45 -0700 (PDT), "TibetanMonkey, the Beach
>

> Cruiser Philosopher" <nolionnoprob...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >On Jul 29, 3:22 am, Robert Fitzgerald <rob...@fizmarkianbobo.com>
> >wrote:

> >> Once we have fully automated cars, then I should imagine people could
> >> ride bikes among the cars and trucks safely (nothing is 100%)...
>
> >> Might end up, automated systems at some point are *required* in some
> >> communities to be used where kids/people ride bikes/etc.  Eventually,
> >> everywhere, except some places where people can drive their cars for fun,
> >> etc... (with more accidents, deaths..)
>
> >> Won't be that long... maybe even by individual peoples' time..
>
> >> --
> >> Bobby
>
> >In the meantime we need SPEED CAMERAS to catch the worst predatory
> >drivers in our communities.
>
> What we need is for you to get out of the way...

I'm already out of the way. I'm not even walking on that road. I know
pedestrians are endangered species in America.

TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher

Jul 30, 2012, 6:27:29 PM7/30/12
On Jul 30, 2:35 pm, "TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher"
<thetibetanmon...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 30, 11:27 am, Steve <stevencan...@yahooooo.com> wrote:
>

> > On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 06:19:09 -0700 (PDT), "TibetanMonkey, the Beach
> > Only a moron would walk on the road.  As long as you stay on the
> > sidewalk or off in the grass you're pretty safe from cars.
>
> Morons, wives and children all walk here on the road. There's no other
> way.

Au contraire, mon ami! Pedestrians are far more moronic than cyclists.
Smart pedestrians become cyclists.

vjp...@at.biostrategist.dot.dot.com

Jul 31, 2012, 9:10:10 PM7/31/12
Well, once I am in a hurry, I take a shortcut, then the next time I
kepe taking the shortcut, which means I wo't walk a smuch.

- = -
http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm

TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher

Jul 31, 2012, 11:43:56 PM7/31/12
On Jul 31, 7:36 pm, Wes Groleau <Groleau+n...@FreeShell.org> wrote:
> On 07-30-2012 20:14, James wrote:
>
> > On 31/07/12 09:58, TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher wrote:
>
> >> What were the engineers thinking about when they built America around
> >> the automobile?
>
> > Was America built, or did it grow?
>
> It was built around the rivers and buffalo paths.
>
> Then the canals and railroads took control and moved stuff around to
> suit them.
>
> Finally, the cars and planes did the same.
>
> Will bicycles ever ....?

The bicycles came before the car and this would have been a nice place
to live...

Then an idiot discovered the internal combustion engine, and another
one with an evil mind decided that he could maximize the profits by
having everyone drive a car.

This meant the end of America the Beautiful and the beginning of the
sprawl.

TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher

Aug 1, 2012, 1:04:29 AM8/1/12
On Jul 31, 8:46 pm, John B. <johnbsloc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> rOn Tue, 31 Jul 2012 09:09:27 -0700 (PDT), "TibetanMonkey, the Beach
>

> Cruiser Philosopher" <thetibetanmon...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >On Jul 31, 4:07 am, John B. <johnbsloc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Blame Henry Ford and yourself, the American Public. Henry built a car
> >> that was cheap enough for Mr. Average Man to buy and Mr. Average
> >> immediately began to clamor for better roads to drive his new Ford on.
> >> Cheers,
> >> John B.
>
> >The American public could not have been that dumb. It needed to kill
> >the trolleys, public transportation, walking and biking as viable
> >options. Then advertising did the rest.
>
> I hate to tell you, but you are imagining things. The reason trolley
> lines and other forms of public transportation died is due to lack of
> public use. Income dropped and the systems were abandoned. In locales
> where it is less practical to drive the systems are still in use.
> Think New York, London and other city subway systems.

Exactly, the sprawl made the walking, biking and public transportation
impractical. It is said that L.A. pioneered this model and all the
rest followed.

NYC and London on the other hand prove that where density is high a
number of good things happen. At least walking is practical. Lack of
parking make this "miracle" happen as well.

Sad thing is that the bike could manage the sprawl but brutal traffic
is often a deterrence.

> As for the public's stupidity, I lived in a suburb of Los Angeles back
> in the late 60's and early 70's and watched the citizens vote against
> financing the building of a public transport system for the city, not
> once, but twice.

And now they are trying to change that. People is stupid while they
are guided in the wrong direction. They also had to live in that
filthy smog. San Francisco went some other way and I understand it's
more livable.

> >Anyway let's lay out what we need and what we don't:
>
> >(in my humble opinion)
>
> >On Jul 31, 11:25 am, "possum" <zen102...@zen.co.uk> wrote:
> >> "Julian" <julianlz...@gmail.com> wrote in
> >> messagenews:jv88m8$boi$1...@dont-email.me...

> >> there's the issue that monkey's claim that
> >> "walking is the ultimate necessity of the
> >> human being" can't stand up, if you'll
> >> pardon the pun.
>
> >> possum
>
> >To make it dangerous, to make it stupid, to make it impractical
> >doesn't mean walking is not the ultimate need of the human being.
>
> >In most places around the world --those who dismiss the American way
> >of life-- walking is still the way to go. But not only that, walking
> >allows socialization, which is another human necessity.
>
> And once again your pipe dreams overcome reality.
>
> In most places around the world people, as soon as they earn a bit of
> money, buy a bicycle. A few years later, when salaries increase a bit
> they buy a motorbike and then a bit later on as the economy gets even
> better they buy an automobile. In a really dynamic economy the whole
> process takes less then 50 years to happen.

Not necessarily. The Netherlands, Germany and Japan are going in some
other direction. Perhaps because they got strong cultures not
permeated by individualism.

> >When we want to punish people we put them in solitary confinement in a
> >3' by 3' cell. "Roaming free" is the ultimate necessity, which
> >includes the bike, the scooter, the motorcycle and anything that is
> >not a cage. Grab a donkey if you will and go exploring your world.
> >That's what Jesus would do.
>
> People aren't confined to cells. You can walk, or ride a bike, in any
> city. I walk/ride in Bangkok which has some of the most hectic traffic
> in the world. You could do the same if you would only open the front
> door and go out "there".

That advice can get people killed. Not to be practiced in Miami Beach
and most other sprawls. Most people try to survive by riding the
sidewalk which is not even safe. Then there's a conflict with
pedestrians --if they are found at all. Most American cities are ghost
towns.

Perhaps Bangkok can be compared with NYC where many cyclists brave the
streets. They are not the same type of winos and immigrants that you
find in the sprawl, but real respectable cyclists. Make no mistake:
It's still a dangerous jungle out there. There's safety numbers, so
the more the better. Let the fallen be awarded our eternal gratitude.

I may be taking a real revolutionary step and go where I can be a
human being whether I'm on foot or bike. I feel my humanity is being
denied here so it may be time to leave...

My war against traffic, corruption and plain stupidity is over. Not
even the boondocks is the solution. It's worse than anything. No
trails, no people. Once I'm in Nirvana (hopefully with a bike and a
banana) my struggle is over. I know the grass is greener on the other
side.

Amsterdam!

TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher

Aug 1, 2012, 10:58:40 AM8/1/12
On Aug 1, 9:24 am, valley <d...@inter.sections> wrote:

> What makes walking not the ultimate need
> is that one does not need to walk, ultimately.
> There are other ways to move about.

Moving is the ultimate need. Try jumping up and down for 45 minutes.
Anything that gets you tired. If you are not tired, you can't sleep
and must take some kind of pill. Then you get fat and dumb. Perhaps
you start drinking. You still need people, but you can see people with
interesting stories on TV. You see the commercials and you realize you
too need an SUV. You have found comfort in the crowd.

But you say to yourself this mantra, "Happy happy, joy joy."

You can be happy about being unhappy, or you can be unhappy about
being unhappy.

TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher

Aug 1, 2012, 3:31:26 PM8/1/12
On Jul 29, 10:32 am, John B. <johnbsloc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Jul 2012 05:39:29 -0700 (PDT), "TibetanMonkey, the Beach
>

> Cruiser Philosopher" <nolionnoprob...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >On Jul 28, 9:31 pm, John B. <johnbsloc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Some people have flown from the US to Paris for lunch and you are
> >> complaining about a little 100 mile drive to get the best tacos and
> >> refried beans in the state?
>
> >Isn't it better to sail to France and then ride a bike to Paris? ;)
>
> Not if you plan on being at the office, on time, tomorrow.

> >> According to Mayo Clinic.com, digestion time takes between 24 and 72
> >> hours.
>
> >> Taking up Randonneuring?
>
> >> Cheers,
> >> John B.
>
> >I heard randonneuring is not even practiced in France any more. Maybe
> >in Holland and Germany.
>
> Probably the most famous brevet, the Paris-Brest-Paris, some 1,200 Km,
> in 90 hours, attracts about 5,000 entrants from something like 60
> countries, is in France.
>
> Cheers,
> John B.

Perhaps the common French people don't even know what "randonneuring"
is. Or they know it, but never do it.

That's my kind of thing if that were possible in America. Maybe
there's some randonneuring race too!

Armstrong is from Texas, the land of SUVs and megachurches. But I hear
things are tough for cyclists in Texas. I like the Dutch, Danish,
German approach of practical bicycling. I wonder how many Texans go to
church on bike.

TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher

Aug 2, 2012, 12:38:25 AM8/2/12
On Aug 2, 12:02 am, John B. <johnbsloc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Aug 2012 12:29:13 -0700 (PDT), "TibetanMonkey, the Beach
>

> Cruiser Philosopher" <thetibetanmon...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >On Jul 29, 10:32 am, John B. <johnbsloc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Again... You don't know what you are talking about. A few excerpts
> about the PBP from the many on the Web:
>
> ...groups of Bretons will be on the route, clapping as you ride by, at
> all hours, even in the dark of night. They cheer you on, they shout
> "bon courage!" and they really mean it...
>
> ...Those early hours introduced me to the many pleasures of PBP:
> spectators along the route yelling out bon route and bon courage and
> giving us water and snacks...
>
> ...More or less on a whim, I responded to a posting on the web site
> for PBP where riders could request housing and residents and hotels
> could offer housing to riders.  Because my wife could not join me in
> Paris, I thought that I might enjoy staying with a family, rather than
> in a hotel, and that this might make the experience more personal.  I
> had not imagined, however, that I would meet such generous people as
> the Rosselle family, or that they would take such good care of me.
>             Olivier and Marie Agnes Rosselle took me in sight unseen.
> They gave me an extremely comfortable place to stay, just three
> kilometers from the start-line, for the two days before and the two
> days after the event. They fed me wonderful food, and gave me
> excellent wine, much of it from Bourgogne, where they had grown up.
> They washed my clothes.  They gave me money to help me to get home
> after I lost my wallet.  Olivier, who is a physical therapist by
> training, gave me a leg massage after I finished the ride, and this
> helped me to recover without the knots in my leg muscles that usually
> follow such a long ride.  He also drove me to the airport when I left,
> thus solving the last cash-flow problem following from the loss of my
> wallet.

The bicycle is making a comeback in France, but nothing like Holland
or even Germany. It seems that Germany has more fans of randoneuring
than France even though it's a French word. To be honest, I've never
met a randoneur in my life, but would like to become one if I find the
right location. I don't want groups, just my gf and I without
struggling with traffic. Maybe I will have to wait until I get to
Europe.

> >That's my kind of thing if that were possible in America. Maybe
> >there's some randonneuring race too!
>
> Ranging from the RAAM to all kind of local rides. I even furnished you
> with some New York groups addresses which included some of their
> brevets.
>
> The Boston - Montreal -Boston is considered one of the top rides in
> the world (1,200 km out and back).
>
> >Armstrong is from Texas, the land of SUVs and megachurches. But I hear
> >things are tough for cyclists in Texas. I like the Dutch, Danish,
> >German approach of practical bicycling. I wonder how many Texans go to
> >church on bike.
>
> I remember reading that Lance spent 6 hours a day on the bike. In
> Texas. I don't know whether you call that "practical bicycling" but it
> didn't seem to hurt him.
>
> Cheers,
> John B.

Elite riders have as much to do with practical cycling as we have to
do with kids riding in the park. They are the ones that usually go in
packs, strap their bikes to the SUV, and are rather ignorant of other
purposes of the bike, namely practical tool and social vehicle.

And they give us a bad name too!

TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher

Aug 2, 2012, 11:00:58 AM8/2/12
On Aug 2, 10:29 am, John B. <johnbsloc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Aug 2012 21:56:53 -0700 (PDT), "TibetanMonkey, the Beach
>

> Cruiser Philosopher" <nolionnoprob...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >On Aug 1, 10:22 pm, John B. <johnbsloc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I see. We have federal and local laws protecting animals from inhuman
> >> treatment but "politicians and bureaucrats don't seem to apply that."?
> >> Perhaps a more accurate statement is, "You don't know what you are
> >> talking about".
>
> >> Cheers,
> >> John B.
>
> >And those laws don't protect humans from violent drivers who think
> >bipedal animals --that's us-- should be on the road or near the road.
>
> Interesting. How many times have you been hit? Or this another of your
> fantasies?
>
> But a bit of research shows that some 4,092 pedestrians died in 2009
> and some 3,533 swimmers also died. Are we to assume that the danger to
> swimmers lies with violent drivers?
>
> But, while some 4 thousand pedestrians died, an infinitesimal
> percentage of the population who, for the purpose of this study will
> all be assumed to be able to walk, some 618 cyclists lost their life.
> or to put it another way those who died on bicycles were something
> like 1/6th of the numbers of pedestrians who died. Or another way of
> calculating it shows that 1/74,665th of the population died from
> walking and 1/6th of that number died on bicycles.
>
> On the other hand, some 300,000 die every year due to obesity related
> problems.
>
> It is obvious that walking or riding a bicycle is a highly dangerous
> pastime and one that people should avoid like the plague.
>
> Cheers,
> John B.

Tell that to the 99% of Americans that neither walk nor ride. And tell
them this:

"The worse thing to fear is fear itself"

But I don't fear fear. I fear the constant struggle and humiliations I
must endure with mad drivers.

In other words, we must tame drivers before promoting walking/riding.

TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher

Aug 3, 2012, 8:51:30 AM8/3/12
On Aug 3, 7:19 am, John B. <johnbsloc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 03 Aug 2012 11:15:50 +1000, James <james.e.stew...@gmail.com>
> wrote:

> >> My grandfather's sister died at age twelve.
> >> And I have photographic evidence that she owned a bicycle.
>
> >Riding bike is dangerous.  Mr Wiggins says so.
>
> >http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/news/9445920/Bradley-Wiggin...
>
> Canceling the Olympics would eliminate the accident he describes.
> Cheers,
> John B.

Banning cars in the immediate vicinity would help. But London is
already trying to restrict cars to the city. There's a city in the
Netherlands where the cars never get to the center. And people are
naturally happy about it.

TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher

Aug 3, 2012, 5:24:16 PM8/3/12
On Aug 3, 4:31 pm, Frank Krygowski <frkrygowREM...@gEEmail.com> wrote:
> John B. wrote:
> > On Fri, 03 Aug 2012 11:15:50 +1000, James<james.e.stew...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
>
> >> Riding bike is dangerous.  Mr Wiggins says so.
>
> >>http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/news/9445920/Bradley-Wiggin...
>
> > Canceling the Olympics would eliminate the accident he describes.
>
> It sounds like the cyclist was alongside the bus at the curb side, in
> the driver's blind spot.  It's the same situation that's killed several
> Portland cyclists in recent years by right hooks - cyclists who were
> lured into the "coffin corner" by a bike lane's false promise of safety.
>
> Cyclists should be taught to NEVER put themselves in that driver's blind
> spot, whether there's a paint stripe or not.  If they ride near enough
> to lane center, they won't be there; they'll be in a position where the
> driver sees them and will not run them over.
>
> --
> - Frank Krygowski

Everybody tomorrow at noon starts TAKING THE LANE. At least you'd be
seen there. Be sure to ignore every driver who wants you off the road.
Play deaf.

I will join you when I get back to Miami. I wanted to go to Holland
from here but my passport will take a while. Actually I found a little
town in Florida that looks promising. No long winters like in Holland.