How make cheap roll around desktop computer/monitor stand?

m...@privacy.net

Oct 2, 2010, 5:53:51 PM10/2/10
Id like to have my desktop computer mounted on a stand
similar to this Ergotron model in link:

http://www.ergotron.com/Products/tabid/65/PRDID/116/language/en-US/Default.aspx

It doesn't need to be this fancy and doesn't even need
a keyboard platform as would be using wireless keyboard
and mouse. It just needs to hold the monitor AND CPU
(down low) and roll around

I was thinking maybe using parts from an old office
desk chair would be a good start

Any other ideas out there to create something on the
cheap?

Lou

Oct 2, 2010, 7:18:14 PM10/2/10

<m...@privacy.net> wrote in message

I don't know what your cut off for "cheap" is, or what scenario you have in
mind (what kind of range you might need) but if you're using a wireless
keyboard and wireless mouse, might you consider a wireless monitor adaptor,
and leaving the cpu in one place?

Rod Speed

Oct 2, 2010, 8:25:29 PM10/2/10
m...@privacy.net wrote:

> http://www.ergotron.com/Products/tabid/65/PRDID/116/language/en-US/Default.aspx

Its even better to start with one of those small tables with a single post, with a swivel base,
lot easier to just screw the monitor stand onto that and bolt the cpu box onto the single post

Jeff Thies

Oct 3, 2010, 12:49:21 AM10/3/10

Wireless monitor? I've never seen that. That's a lot more bandwidth than
a keyboard or a mouse!

Jeff

Fake ID

Oct 3, 2010, 2:41:43 AM10/3/10
In article <8fafa6trigjqtvt7p...@4ax.com>,

That Ergotron thing reminds me of an IV pole. Some applications have a
sizeable machine strapped to the pole.

Like someone else said, it depends on your particular definition of
cheap. And also the available junk pile.

I've never known those articulated arms shown on the Ergotron to
be cheap. Perhaps a similar part scavanged from something else like a
desklamp.

How about setting a laptop on an office chair?

Lou

Oct 3, 2010, 11:51:59 AM10/3/10

"Jeff Thies" <jeff_...@att.net> wrote in message

Just because you've never seen one doesn't mean they don't exist - try
looking it up.

It seems to me that the biggest problem with moving the cpu, and for that
matter the monitor, around like that is that these things need electricity,
and that usually means they need to be plugged in. So every time you move
the contraption, the computer has to be powered down, moved, and re-booted.

If portability is important, a laptop sounds far more practical to me, but
that may not fit the original poster's definition of "cheap".

However, if moving things around is important, I think it's be easier and
cheaper to use something like a tea cart (for instance something like what
you can at http://www.teacart.org/ or
http://www.webstaurantstore.com/sub243/products/serving-carts.html?gclid=CInj_PKDt6QCFSVM5QodPmYF0A ), or any two or three decker table on wheels. Some
come with built in electrical sockets, so you only have to plug/unplug the
cart, not each individual piece of hardware on it.

hchi...@hotmail.com

Oct 3, 2010, 12:43:32 PM10/3/10

Harbor Freight mover's dolly $10
Box.

Rod Speed

Oct 3, 2010, 1:29:29 PM10/3/10

Those dont qualify as anything like his original requirement for CHEAP.

m...@privacy.net

Oct 3, 2010, 4:32:48 PM10/3/10
Most likely will wind up using one of these

http://tinyurl.com/3aj5rop

The reason I just don't use a laptop is cause I want
the horsepower of a desktop.... but want it on a
"mobile" platform of some type.

I ideally it would be adjustable in height so that I
could use it a sit down desk.....or a STAND UP desk

Jeff Thies

Oct 3, 2010, 11:28:09 PM10/3/10

You are right, but they are far from frugal coming in at $130 and up.
Probably why I've never seen one.

> It seems to me that the biggest problem with moving the cpu, and for that
> matter the monitor, around like that is that these things need electricity,
> and that usually means they need to be plugged in. So every time you move
> the contraption, the computer has to be powered down, moved, and re-booted.
>
> If portability is important, a laptop sounds far more practical to me, but
> that may not fit the original poster's definition of "cheap".

I think by the time you add all the wireless gizmos and such it is in
the neighborhood of a cheap or used laptop. It could network into the
existing desktop.

> However, if moving things around is important, I think it's be easier and
> cheaper to use something like a tea cart (for instance something like what
> you can at http://www.teacart.org/ or
> http://www.webstaurantstore.com/sub243/products/serving-carts.html?gclid=CInj_PKDt6QCFSVM5QodPmYF0A ), or any two or three decker table on wheels. Some
> come with built in electrical sockets, so you only have to plug/unplug the
> cart, not each individual piece of hardware on it.

That sounds like a good idea. IKEA, I believe has some roll arounds also.

Jeff

Rod Speed

Oct 4, 2010, 12:00:33 AM10/4/10
m...@privacy.net wrote:

> Most likely will wind up using one of these
> http://tinyurl.com/3aj5rop

That config is certainly a lot more stable than
the original swivel base or the equivalent table.

> The reason I just don't use a laptop is cause
> I want the horsepower of a desktop.... but
> want it on a "mobile" platform of some type.

> I ideally it would be adjustable in height so that I
> could use it a sit down desk.....or a STAND UP desk

None of the modified swivel chairs or table with a
single pole and swivel base would go up high enough.

And even with the ones like your original I would worry about the stability myself.
It might be alright with enough weight added to the base.

> http://www.ergotron.com/Products/tabid/65/PRDID/116/language/en-US/Default.aspx

Fake ID

Oct 4, 2010, 3:05:11 AM10/4/10

Gary Heston

Oct 4, 2010, 8:51:45 PM10/4/10
In article <01qha6ds0glrd3o7t...@4ax.com>,
<m...@privacy.net> wrote:
[ ... ]

>The reason I just don't use a laptop is cause I want
>the horsepower of a desktop.... but want it on a
>"mobile" platform of some type.

[ ... ]

Define "horsepower of a desktop", please. There are some quite capable
notebooks out there.

Incidentally, if you put a UPS in th base of the tea cart, you can move
it without shutting everything down.

Gary

--
Gary Heston ghe...@hiwaay.net http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

"This has a graphical interface--you can see the graph paper right here."
Richard Trethewey, _Ask This Old House_

Susan Bugher

Oct 7, 2010, 1:00:31 AM10/7/10
m...@privacy.net wrote:

> Most likely will wind up using one of these
>
> http://tinyurl.com/3aj5rop

Alera Wire Rolling 3-Tier Cart ($108.99)

> The reason I just don't use a laptop is cause I want
> the horsepower of a desktop.... but want it on a
> "mobile" platform of some type.
>
> I ideally it would be adjustable in height so that I
> could use it a sit down desk.....or a STAND UP desk

Did a bit of browsing. . . these carts are made specifically for a PC:

<http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_025V044661723000P?vName=Computers+%26+Electronics&cName=Office+Products&sName=Carts+%26+Stands&prdNo=23>
Tiffany Industries Empire Mobile PC Cart ($102.99)

<http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16848045078>
Tiffany Industries Empire Mobile PC Cart ($119.00 includes shipping)

<http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11129079>
Mayline Empire Mobile PC Cart ($73.80 includes shipping)

<http://www.everythingofficefurniture.com/computercarts.html#axzz11e4JdIV4>
various carts - for example:
<http://www.everythingofficefurniture.com/hs-computer-cart-3.html#axzz11e4jaAIJ>
Computer Cart ($68.00 includes shipping)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware