A filter to use in MCFL

Don Klipstein

Feb 22, 2011, 1:27:28 AM2/22/11
In light of a major offender that has greatly contaminated this
newsgroup for several years already...

How about a killfile filter that filters on basis of phrases and a few
favored words and misspelled words? Especially since this offender
shifts nyms when notified about being plonked?

Such as favorite ones by the FAQ-having offender here? How about also
a few by another nym-shifting irritant in another newsgroup that I also
frequent?

fuckwit
countrys
industrys
fantasys
"leave for dead"
"a retard"
"f***ing retard"
"g****** retard"
"puerile s***"
"flushed where they belong"
"reams of"
"pig ignorant"
"lump it"

Probably a dozen or two others...

I seem to think that this would hide from me possibly a majority of
the posts by the guilty, and less than 1/4 of 1% of the posts by the
innocent.

It would help this filter to also use filtering on basis of posting-
from e-mail address, including the 3 to 5 most used by the FAQ-having
irritant as well as *@*oftheuniverse.org that the other one often uses.
Add a few more if necessary.

This altogether won't be perfect, but I think it would help for better
mood of most people here.

I have heard that Thunderbird as a "Usenet client" has this capability
or close to this - is that true?

--
- Don Klipstein (d...@misty.com)

The Real Bev

Feb 22, 2011, 1:56:31 AM2/22/11

You can't filter news on stuff in the body unless you download the whole
group to read offline, an unlikely event nowadays. You can filter news
on whatever headers you wish, though, so they work pretty well.

I've used Netscape/TB mail ever since it was born. Loyalty, I guess.

--
Cheers, Bev
"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Message has been deleted

Vic Smith

Feb 22, 2011, 12:19:14 PM2/22/11
On Tue, 22 Feb 2011 11:49:45 -0500, Derald <der...@invalid.net> wrote:

>d...@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) wrote:
>
>> How about a killfile filter that filters on basis of phrases and a few
>>favored words and misspelled words? Especially since this offender
>>shifts nyms when notified about being plonked?

> Man, it's a great idea, but, like Bev, I know of no way to filter on body
>text within an offline reader. Perhaps online readers, if they still exist, can
>but there'd be a considerable speed penalty.

>> It would help this filter to also use filtering on basis of posting-
>> from e-mail address, including the 3 to 5 most used by the FAQ-having
>> irritant as well as *@*oftheuniverse.org that the other one often uses.

> This capability is commonplace among the current generation of freeware
>newsreading software. Take a look at the standalone Linux version of
>Thunderbird:
><http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/all.html>.

I don't get why anybody needs a filter. The subject and author are
always clearly visible in all news readers I've ever used.
It's real easy to just open what might interest you and delete the
rest.
No sense for me to get all Rube Goldberg with filter arguments.
Aside from spam, which most of the news servers I've used are already
filtering, what's the point of filtering?
So you don't see the name of posters you don't want to read?
I kind of enjoy just deleting those posts/headers unopened.
Shows who has the real "power."

--Vic

Message has been deleted

Vic Smith

Feb 22, 2011, 4:50:11 PM2/22/11
On Tue, 22 Feb 2011 16:31:22 -0500, Derald <der...@invalid.net> wrote:

>Vic Smith <thismaila...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>I kind of enjoy just deleting those posts/headers unopened.
>>Shows who has the real "power."

> LOL! I heard that ;-) Clearly, you don't follow alt.comp.freeware or
>rec.gardens.anything :-) -- You'd spend more time sifting through the dross for
>the three posters worth reading (IMO) than you would spend reading! I'll gladly
>let the software do it. Hell, I always thought the time savings, marginal though
>it may be, and the convenience was the whole point. Personally, I appreciate not
>having to wade through reams of bogus posts to find the few of interest to me.
>For example, using Agent and nfilter together, I block the entirety of
>googlegroups, gardenbanter, and (save for one notorious MCFL netizen)
>".eternal-september.org". For the last, just the _name_ says it all.

My default sort is subject, date.
The crap subject is already neatly stacked and real easy to delete.
It's always the same jokers posting in the crap subjects.
But even if somebody I would normally read is there, he gets dumped
too.
If it's a new subject by his highness or whatever that's easy to dump
too. Lame subjects are as easy to instantly identify as a lame dog.
Once his highness or speed or dolan get in a subject I dump it.
I have no idea what these jokers are even talking about.
Absolutely no idea.
It's a very nice feeling.
But if filters work for others, that's fine.
Whatever works.
POWER TO THE PEOPLE!!!!

--Vic

The Real Bev

Feb 22, 2011, 7:33:20 PM2/22/11
On 02/22/11 13:31, Derald wrote:

> For example, using Agent and nfilter together, I block the entirety of
> googlegroups, gardenbanter, and (save for one notorious MCFL netizen)
> ".eternal-september.org". For the last, just the _name_ says it all.

I hope that exception is me, but I've never thought of myself as
'notorious'. 'Brilliant', maybe...

--
Cheers, Bev
All the toilets were stolen out of the police station.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted