Campbell Soup porition size

ant3...@yahoo.com

Nov 11, 2008, 9:26:37 PM11/11/08
is it my eyes or did Campbell Soup start making there portions smaller
on the canned soup.
I dont have an older can around to check, but it sure looks like it.
Guess they think no one will notice.
This can is 10 3/4 OZ.
Thanks, Tony

Samatha Hill -- take out TRASH to reply

Nov 12, 2008, 6:26:46 AM11/12/08
I haven't held a can of Campbell's Soup for years, but they have always
been 10-ish ounces.

Al Bundy

Nov 12, 2008, 9:18:43 AM11/12/08

Cans come in standard sizes. I don't know what the number of the
normal small soup can is. I just checked my soup can, not Cambells,
and the net weight it 10.5ozs. The can is completely full. So you are
doing OK.
Another way to consider the value in a given product line is to
compare the total calorie count for the whole package. For example, a
small can of tomato paste is 33¢ where I shop and a larger can of
tomato sauce is only 25¢. The paste is more dense, has more calories
and is a better value to me. You can count the calories and tell it
contains more tomato product than the slight price difference. Add
your own water and spices if you want sauce.

Bartc

Nov 12, 2008, 6:35:13 PM11/12/08

<ant3...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

I vaguely remember them as 298g so sounds about right.

But the serving size seems to be 2/5 of a can which is rather odd. Has
anyone ever opened a can and only used 2/5 (or 4/5 between two) of the
contents?

--
Bartc

Al Bundy

Nov 13, 2008, 10:28:10 AM11/13/08
On Nov 12, 6:35 pm, "Bartc" <b...@freeuk.com> wrote:
> <ant30...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

AS someone once said, "Two can live as cheaply as on if one is an
elephant and the other is a bird."
I'd be the elephant myself. I always eat the whole can. If you diluted
it and had small children, 2/5 would work. If you also had a dog, you
could go 2/5, 2/5, and 1/5 for the dog. Sometimes the companies
configure these serving sizes so the calorie number looks better.

Roger Shoaf

Nov 14, 2008, 12:16:30 PM11/14/08

"Bartc" <b...@freeuk.com> wrote in message

This is a nutri-label gimmick. Portion sizes are arbitrary but if the can
says that a portion is 2/5 of a can, then the numbers for fat, sodium or
calories are listed as being less.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Lou

Nov 14, 2008, 7:52:29 PM11/14/08

"Roger Shoaf" <sh...@nospamsyix.com> wrote in message

> "Bartc" <b...@freeuk.com> wrote in message
> >
> > <ant3...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > > is it my eyes or did Campbell Soup start making there portions smaller
> > > on the canned soup.
> > > I dont have an older can around to check, but it sure looks like it.
> > > Guess they think no one will notice.
> > > This can is 10 3/4 OZ.
> >
> > I vaguely remember them as 298g so sounds about right.
> >
> > But the serving size seems to be 2/5 of a can which is rather odd. Has
> > anyone ever opened a can and only used 2/5 (or 4/5 between two) of the
> > contents?
> >
> > --
> > Bartc
> >

> This is a nutri-label gimmick. Portion sizes are arbitrary but if the can
> says that a portion is 2/5 of a can, then the numbers for fat, sodium or
> calories are listed as being less.

Yes and no. Portion sizes are supposed to be standard units. **Serving
size**, on the other hand, is set by the FDA for various categories of food
products - there are 129 or so categories for foods in the general food
supply, and 11 categories for foods intended as infant and toddler foods.
The serving size is the amount of food consumed per eating occasion by
persons 4 years old and older, expressed in common household units
appropriate to the food (like teaspoon of sugar, cup of coffee, slice of
bread). The numbers are based on data collected in 1977-1978 and 1987-1988
by food consumption surveys conducted by the Department of Agriculture.
Reference amounts estimating the amount most likely to be customarily
consumed per eating occasion for each category were estimated by the FDA
based on these surveys.

My guess is that kids eat more canned soups than adults, and that while kids
may eat more frequently than adults they generally consume less at each
"eating occasion". That in turn, would tend to drive the serving size down
to a level that might seem skimpy to an adult. And before say that even
with kids you don't serve 2/5 of a can per person, remember that in spite of
it's name, a "serving size" is not what's put on the plate (or in the bowl)
in front of the kid, it's what actually gets eaten.

nimic...@yahoo.com

Nov 28, 2008, 9:27:40 PM11/28/08
i have no idea..
guess i have to take a few minutes go to the super market and search
for campbell soup!!

xoxo,
aineecumi

neway, my secret to release tension is playing this game <a
href=http://www.gamestotal.com> http://www.gamestotal.com </a> <a
href=http://uc.gamestotal.com> http://uc.gamestotal.com </a> <a
href=http://gc.gamestotal.com> http://gc.gamestotal.com </a> <a
href=http://3700ad.gamestotal.com> http://3700ad.gamestotal.com </a>