classic Mobile Home q.

1 view

doc marten

Jan 9, 2009, 12:15:46 AM1/9/09
we have a '59 Rex Mobile home and we love it. but I was curious.
why does it have complete running lights , two permanent axles , electric
brakes and hitch . It is 45 x 10 ?
No ones going traveling with this monster. It's a long , long long
trailer. It features a lot on built ins. like cabinets and a full
kitchen not the construction office type.
--
When the Power of Love,replaces the Love of Power.
that's Evolution.

John A. Weeks III

Jan 9, 2009, 9:43:45 AM1/9/09
In article
<georgewkspam-FA80...@sn-ip.vsrv-sjc.supernews.net>,
doc marten <george...@humboldt1.com> wrote:

> we have a '59 Rex Mobile home and we love it. but I was curious.
> why does it have complete running lights , two permanent axles , electric
> brakes and hitch . It is 45 x 10 ?
> No ones going traveling with this monster. It's a long , long long
> trailer. It features a lot on built ins. like cabinets and a full
> kitchen not the construction office type.

In some localities, having running gear, hitch, and lights makes
the unit qualify as an RV rather than a home, so you don't have
to pay real estate taxes on it.

-john-

John A. Weeks III           612-720-2854            jo...@johnweeks.com
Newave Communications                         http://www.johnweeks.com

MSfo...@mcpmail.com

Jan 9, 2009, 8:06:20 PM1/9/09

You are truly living life large, Doc.
That's 450 square feet not counting the deduction for partitions and
the 1" wall thickness, kitchen cabinets and such.

doc marten

Jan 9, 2009, 9:55:27 PM1/9/09
In article
<dcef1912-1217-4241...@f40g2000pri.googlegroups.com>,
MSfo...@mcpmail.com wrote:

well, the first thing we did was additions and various outbuildings. Of
course. but ya know I have no idea what the total sq. footage is.

Siskuwihane

Jan 10, 2009, 9:54:05 AM1/10/09

What's wrong with living in a home that only has the area you need and
not the area needed to impress the neighbors?

Heating and cooling costs would be reduced along with the associated
energy used to produce them.
Raw materials used to build them would be reduced. Less "stuff' would
be needed to fill them. Less space would be needed to site them.

Sounds like a good thing to me.

MSfo...@mcpmail.com

Jan 10, 2009, 10:36:38 AM1/10/09

True indeed. Remember that post about the couple that sold their big
house and started building 150 sq. ft. houses and lived in one
themselves? Doc went a little extra though. He added an out house.

Dave Garland

Jan 10, 2009, 11:56:43 AM1/10/09
Siskuwihane wrote:
> What's wrong with living in a home that only has the area you need and
> not the area needed to impress the neighbors?
>
> Heating and cooling costs would be reduced along with the associated
> energy used to produce them...

True, although a 1959 mobile home is unlikely to be a particularly
good example of energy efficiency. But a lot depends on the local
climate and personal tolerances.

Dave

Siskuwihane

Jan 11, 2009, 8:37:07 AM1/11/09

Yes, but compared to the millions of large, older homes in the US, it
definately consumes fewer resources.

My grandmother lived her last 22 years by herself in a huge, 4 bedroom
home that consumed massive amounts of fuel oil. Sure, it was her
money, but what was the cost to the planet and future generations?
Multiply her scenario buy hundreds of thousands (or millions) and you
have a tremendous amount of waste.

tween...@mypacks.net

Jan 12, 2009, 12:44:31 PM1/12/09
On Jan 9, 12:15 am, doc marten <georgewks...@humboldt1.com> wrote:
> we have a '59 Rex Mobile home and we love it. but I was curious.
> why does it have complete running lights , two permanent axles , electric
> brakes and hitch .

Prob. too expensive to remove that gear?

Wasn't it towed to its location at one time?

If you are not on your own property, you may want to move it someday.

It is 45 x 10 ?
> No ones going traveling with this monster. It's a long , long long
> trailer.  It features a lot on built ins. like cabinets and a full
> kitchen not the construction office type.

Just be sure you are always ready and able to get out of that
firetrap - they can be history in minutes.

The Real Bev

Jan 12, 2009, 2:58:05 PM1/12/09
tween...@mypacks.net wrote:

> On Jan 9, 12:15 am, doc marten <georgewks...@humboldt1.com> wrote:
>> we have a '59 Rex Mobile home and we love it. but I was curious.
>> why does it have complete running lights , two permanent axles , electric
>> brakes and hitch .
>
> Prob. too expensive to remove that gear?

If you remove those it may become a house and you'll have to pay property tax on
it -- generally more than what it costs to license a trailer.

--
Cheers, Bev
<> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <>

BigDog1

Jan 12, 2009, 4:41:06 PM1/12/09

I lived in one of those things for a couple of years back in the late
60s. Same size and vintage as OPs. It cost three or four times to
heat and cool as the 1800 sq ft home I moved into. They're not very
well insulated, and aren't the least bit energy efficient. Sometimes
like living in a cardboard box.

There's a lot to be said for a well built, well insulated small
house. But this ain't it.

Message has been deleted

doc marten

Jan 15, 2009, 12:53:56 PM1/15/09
In article
<georgewkspam-F4F7...@sn-ip.vsrv-sjc.supernews.net>,
doc marten <george...@humboldt1.com> wrote:

and boy, did we insulate. and add a wood stove (radiant heat)
and our Micro-climate is so gentle on the body. today it's 70 F.

Gordon

Jan 16, 2009, 2:50:06 AM1/16/09
doc marten <george...@humboldt1.com> wrote in news:georgewkspam-
FA8011.211...@sn-ip.vsrv-sjc.supernews.net:

> we have a '59 Rex Mobile home and we love it. but I was curious.
> why does it have complete running lights , two permanent axles , electric
> brakes and hitch . It is 45 x 10 ?
> No ones going traveling with this monster. It's a long , long long
> trailer. It features a lot on built ins. like cabinets and a full
> kitchen not the construction office type.

Probably put there to satisfy some local or federal regulation
at the time. It was probably classified as a trailer. After all,
it was towed to it's site.

doc marten

Jan 16, 2009, 11:21:12 AM1/16/09
In article <Xns9B94F27655FE...@85.214.105.209>,
Gordon <go...@alltomyself.com> wrote:

Or;; maybe they left the suspension to support the carcass if an
Earthquake knocks it off the blocks.
leaf springs to the rescue. I'll have to check what condition the shocks
are in. 50 yrs. may have taken a toll. No?