deciding to buy new stove - drop in or free standing?

1 view

aj

Apr 29, 2010, 10:07:00 AM4/29/10

We have an old GE drop in 27 inch stove that needs to be replaced.
After doing the preliminary research, we found the following: The new
27 inch one costs $1100. However, a 30 inch drop in is around $640 or
a 30 inch free standing is around $350. We are looking for a cheap one
as we will leave this place in a few years. To get that extra 3 inch,
we need to hire carpenter. Carpentry work is more for free standing
than for drop in. For free standing, the extra electrical work is
needed for box and pigtail.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Apr 29, 2010, 3:41:48 PM4/29/10
In article
<df202608-0b77-459a-ae9b-fbf2f26f1bef@t2
1g2000yqg.googlegroups.com>,
aj <alg...@yahoo.com> wrote:

What's wrong with your current unit?
Would it pay to have it repaired? Have
you gone to Scratch and Dent Stores
(Sears Outlet comes to mind), but almost
all appliance stores have Scratch and
Dents (and/or discontinued stock) for
substantial discounts. Another option is
Freecycle.org, Craigslist or even eBay.
I would also suggest fatwallet.com

Jeff Thies

Apr 29, 2010, 5:49:22 PM4/29/10

I've seen a lot of beautiful drop in stoves that the store just
wanted to get rid of. Home Depot and BrandSmart seem to do this when
they change out their product line. About the $100 range, so to speak.
Often less.

Jeff

Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Apr 29, 2010, 8:20:25 PM4/29/10
In article
<hrcutt$qr7$1...@news.albasani.net>,
Jeff Thies <jeff_...@att.net> wrote:

I've never seen them this cheap in the
stores. I have seen a lot of
discontinued items that seem to fall
below some magical price point donated
to a Habitat for Humanity re-use store

--

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur
adipiscing elit. Cras lobortis volutpat
commodo. Morbi lobortis, massa fringilla
adipiscing suscipit, velit urna pharetra
neque, non luctus arcu diam vitae justo.
Vivamus lacinia scelerisque ultricies.
Nunc lobortis elit ligula. Aliquam
sollicitudin nunc sed est gravida ac
viverra tellus ullamcorper. Vivamus non
nisi suscipit nisi egestas venenatis.
Donec vitae arcu id urna euismod
feugiat. Vivamus porta lobortis
ultricies. Nulla adipiscing tellus a
neque vehicula porta. Maecenas volutpat
aliquet sagittis. Proin nisi magna,
molestie id volutpat in, tincidunt sed
dolor. Nullam nisi erat, aliquet
scelerisque sagittis vitae, pretium
accumsan odio. Sed ut mi iaculis eros
rutrum tristique ut nec mi. Aliquam nec
augue dui, in mattis urna. In pretium
metus eu diam blandit accumsan. Ut eu
lorem sed odio porttitor blandit.

Jeff Thies

Apr 29, 2010, 8:27:51 PM4/29/10
It's been a while since I've gone looking, perhaps a year, but they
were turning up everywhere. It's possible the improved home improvement
market has run the prices back up, I haven't been looking. It's also
possible the market here, is different.

But as you have put it, they are a widespread commodity, the stand
alone, much less so.

So, to the OP, go look around!

Jeff