What abt Costco Credit card from Amex?

m...@privacy.net

Jun 28, 2010, 10:08:04 PM6/28/10
I only have one credit card and pay it in full each
month.

I use it as a "checkbook" ... buy almost everything
with it.

I am also a Costco member and they have a cash back
card thru Amex.

I'm not a big fan of Amex for some reason... but Costco
has been terrific for everything I have bought from
them

I'm tempted to switch to the Costco card... does anyone
have one out there and can confirm no problems, etc?

The Real Bev

Jun 29, 2010, 2:18:01 AM6/29/10

I've had one for several years. No problems, 3% back on gas (which is
generally the cheapest price around BEFORE the rebate), 2% on restaurants and
1% on everything else, and they send you a check in March or April. It may be
a Costco-only check, but that's OK with me.

--
Cheers, Bev
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Fake ID

Jun 29, 2010, 2:52:48 AM6/29/10
In article <i0c36p$jpl$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,

The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>On 06/28/10 19:08, m...@privacy.net wrote:
>
>> I only have one credit card and pay it in full each
>> month.
>>
>> I use it as a "checkbook" ... buy almost everything
>> with it.
>>
>> I am also a Costco member and they have a cash back
>> card thru Amex.
>>
>> I'm not a big fan of Amex for some reason... but Costco
>> has been terrific for everything I have bought from
>> them
>>
>> I'm tempted to switch to the Costco card... does anyone
>> have one out there and can confirm no problems, etc?
>
>I've had one for several years. No problems, 3% back on gas (which is
>generally the cheapest price around BEFORE the rebate), 2% on restaurants and
>1% on everything else, and they send you a check in March or April. It may be
>a Costco-only check, but that's OK with me.

According to the table on my statement it's 3% restaurants, 2% travel
(?), and two tiers (3% & 1%) of gasoline.

AFAIK, the Amex requires the Expensive Costo membership. But that also
means that Costco purchases "double-dip"--earning a rebate from both
programs. (Except gas--I think the membership rebate is for in-store
only.)

m...@privacy.net

Jun 29, 2010, 12:05:57 PM6/29/10
The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>I've had one for several years. No problems, 3% back on gas (which is
>generally the cheapest price around BEFORE the rebate), 2% on restaurants and
>1% on everything else, and they send you a check in March or April. It may be
>a Costco-only check, but that's OK with me.

Thanks Bev

Did you apply online? Or just apply at a store?

m...@privacy.net

Jun 29, 2010, 12:07:05 PM6/29/10
no-...@sonic.net (Fake ID) wrote:

>AFAIK, the Amex requires the Expensive Costo membership.

ahh...didn't know that..

do you still feel its worth it?

SMS

Jun 29, 2010, 12:37:47 PM6/29/10

The only reason to get a Costco Amex is the 1% cash-back when you shop
at Costco. For other stores, there are better cash-back deals from Visa
or MC, though it's true that the cash-back programs and rewards programs
have been worsened recently. I don't know how much longer the Charles
Schwab Visa (which is no longer being offered) will continue paying a
flat 2%, but I'm not optimistic.

There actually is one other benefit to the Costco Amex and that's the 3%
(regular card) or 4% (business card) rebate on gasoline (the 4% used to
be 5% though).

The Amex does not require the more expensive Executive membership, but
for many people the Executive membership is a better deal anyway. You
have to spend $2500 a year at Costco to break even on the Executive
versus the regular membership, though often there are other savings with
the Executive membership that reduce that amount to zero.

m...@privacy.net

Jun 29, 2010, 10:36:18 PM6/29/10
SMS <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

>The Amex does not require the more expensive Executive membership, but
>for many people the Executive membership is a better deal anyway. You
>have to spend $2500 a year at Costco to break even on the Executive
>versus the regular membership, though often there are other savings with
>the Executive membership that reduce that amount to zero.

Wonder what you have to spend to break even on the reg
membership?

The Real Bev

Jun 29, 2010, 11:57:54 PM6/29/10
On 06/28/10 23:52, Fake ID wrote:

> In article<i0c36p$jpl$1...@news.eternal-september.org>, The Real
> Bev<bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 06/28/10 19:08, m...@privacy.net wrote:
>>
>>> I only have one credit card and pay it in full each month.
>>>
>>> I use it as a "checkbook" ... buy almost everything with it.
>>>
>>> I am also a Costco member and they have a cash back card thru Amex.
>>>
>>> I'm not a big fan of Amex for some reason... but Costco has been
>>> terrific for everything I have bought from them

Amex charges merchants more for using it. Back when Mr. Bean was showing off
his new Amex card there was no limit and everything had to be paid off each
month. There was also a fee.

>>> I'm tempted to switch to the Costco card... does anyone have one out
>>> there and can confirm no problems, etc?
>>
>> I've had one for several years. No problems, 3% back on gas (which is
>> generally the cheapest price around BEFORE the rebate), 2% on restaurants
>> and 1% on everything else, and they send you a check in March or April.
>> It may be a Costco-only check, but that's OK with me.
>
> According to the table on my statement it's 3% restaurants, 2% travel (?),
> and two tiers (3%& 1%) of gasoline.

Mine shows 3% on gasoline and restaurants, 2% on travel and 1% on everything
else. I suspect that the 1% is on gasoline not purchased at a Costco station.

> AFAIK, the Amex requires the Expensive Costo membership. But that also

No, I have the $50 membership. Everybody can have the free Amex card. Whether
the membership is expensive or not depends on what you buy there. The 52" TV
and king-size memfoam mattress by themselves have paid for my membership for
quite a few years in advance.

> means that Costco purchases "double-dip"--earning a rebate from both
> programs. (Except gas--I think the membership rebate is for in-store
> only.)

Yeah, but I buy enough at Costco to use it.

--
Cheers, Bev
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

The Real Bev

Jun 30, 2010, 12:00:30 AM6/30/10

I think I just went over to the membership counter.

The Real Bev

Jun 30, 2010, 12:07:37 AM6/30/10
On 06/29/10 09:37, SMS wrote:

> On 28/06/10 7:08 PM, m...@privacy.net wrote:
>> I only have one credit card and pay it in full each month.
>>
>> I use it as a "checkbook" ... buy almost everything with it.

I've got lots -- whenever they offer me free money to apply, I take it.

>> I am also a Costco member and they have a cash back card thru Amex.
>>
>> I'm not a big fan of Amex for some reason... but Costco has been terrific
>> for everything I have bought from them
>>
>> I'm tempted to switch to the Costco card... does anyone have one out
>> there and can confirm no problems, etc?
>
> The only reason to get a Costco Amex is the 1% cash-back when you shop at
> Costco. For other stores, there are better cash-back deals from Visa or MC,
> though it's true that the cash-back programs and rewards programs have been
> worsened recently.

I hate the 5% on rotating-categories thing. The only things I buy consistently
with a credit card are gas and groceries -- I feel kind of odd offering a
credit card at yard sales :-) The other categories are pretty much useless
even if I remember what they are.

> I don't know how much longer the Charles Schwab Visa (which is no longer
> being offered) will continue paying a flat 2%, but I'm not optimistic.
>
> There actually is one other benefit to the Costco Amex and that's the 3%
> (regular card) or 4% (business card) rebate on gasoline (the 4% used to be
> 5% though).

The Best Buy card gives you a good deal on Best Buy stuff.

> The Amex does not require the more expensive Executive membership, but for
> many people the Executive membership is a better deal anyway.

You may be able to split the cost with a friend/employee; I don't know if the
f/e can get his/her own amex card with rebate, though. For a while they were
letting you split your regular membership with a friend at a different address
for no additional charge, but they don't do that any more.

> You have to spend $2500 a year at Costco to break even on the Executive
> versus the regular membership, though often there are other savings with
> the Executive membership that reduce that amount to zero.

Fake ID

Jun 30, 2010, 4:20:02 AM6/30/10
In article <8g6k26t0v6h68l264...@4ax.com>,

As others have pointed out, I'm wrong about that requirement. An
education that might just save me a little money. Thanks.
For me the Expensive membership rebate has been practically a wash.
I'm down $7 this year, up $5 last, compared to the Regular membership.

Regarding the original question about Amex...
I can't think of any reason to not get an Amex if you already have the
Costco membership. It's a small rebate that wouldn't otherwise be
available (assuming Amex is still the only credit card Costco accepts).

Just in terms of a credit card, the Amex has been uneventful (while
Citi has been a PITA). Something that I was hesitant to mention when I
replied last night was that Amex has been changing terms lately. I
think it's part the fallout from the changes in law and not particulary
unique to Amex. One thing was my due date shifted. At least for June,
I had 6 more days to pay this year than a year ago.

m...@privacy.net

Jun 30, 2010, 11:52:49 AM6/30/10
no-...@sonic.net (Fake ID) wrote:

>I can't think of any reason to not get an Amex if you already have the
>Costco membership.

Well I have ALWAYS paid my current bank Visa credit
card in full..... and I use it to buy EVERYTHING.....
but this card offers no cash BACK

I guess I will go ahead and apply.... give it a go

m...@privacy.net

Jun 30, 2010, 11:55:06 AM6/30/10
The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Yeah, but I buy enough at Costco to use it.

Gotta admit I love Costco and their service!

Even the "little" things they do.....its as if
everything they do is designed by engineers NOT to make
you or them waste time and money

Example..when the lines get really busy... they come to
YOU with those portable terminals and start scanning
thing while back in the line some distance...love it!

The Real Bev

Jun 30, 2010, 6:41:41 PM6/30/10

One improvement they could make: Store maps. If not that, then have all the
stores laid out the same. There are three that I can go to and they're all
different. OTOH, as I wander up and down the aisles I always find stuff I need
that I hadn't thought of, so I guess it's good for them. Fine with me.

They're really good about returns, too. If you've lost your receipt they can
still find the transaction in their computer. Not sure if it's linked to the
Amex card or the membership, but it's a godsend for people who lose things.

--
Cheers, Bev
My house isn't a pigsty, it's an Immunity Enhancement Center.

SMS

Jul 1, 2010, 7:38:09 AM7/1/10

It would be very difficult to not save enough to justify a Costco
membership. One set of tires or a years worth of gasoline or a single
major purchase would cover the cost of a membership.

SMS

Jul 1, 2010, 7:47:15 AM7/1/10
On 30/06/10 3:41 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
> On 06/30/10 08:55, m...@privacy.net wrote:
>
>> The Real Bev<bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Yeah, but I buy enough at Costco to use it.
>>
>> Gotta admit I love Costco and their service!
>>
>> Even the "little" things they do.....its as if everything they do is
>> designed by engineers NOT to make you or them waste time and money
>>
>> Example..when the lines get really busy... they come to YOU with those
>> portable terminals and start scanning thing while back in the line some
>> distance...love it!
>
> One improvement they could make: Store maps. If not that, then have all the
> stores laid out the same. There are three that I can go to and they're all
> different.

Different stores vary quite a bit in some of the product lines they
carry so they can't be identical. I.e. go to Santa Cruz or Medford and
they have a lot of water related sporting goods that other stores don't
have, i.e. we bought tandem kayaks in Medford. Reno has a lot more snow
related stuff in the winter. Seoul has fresh kim chi and seaweed made in
the store. Taipei has a Din Tai Fung restaurant in the store on
weekends. Some stores (Reno and Santa Rosa) roast coffee beans in the store.

One improvement I'd like to see is for certain staple products to be
carried in all stores. I.e., for some strange reason, Sunnyvale does not
carry popcorn, I have to go to Mountain View to buy it. When I asked an
employee they told me that popcorn was a "seasonal product."

The Real Bev

Jul 1, 2010, 12:32:44 PM7/1/10
On 07/01/10 04:47, SMS wrote:

> On 30/06/10 3:41 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
>> On 06/30/10 08:55, m...@privacy.net wrote:
>>>
>>> Gotta admit I love Costco and their service!
>>>
>>> Even the "little" things they do.....its as if everything they do
>>> is designed by engineers NOT to make you or them waste time and
>>> money
>>>
>>> Example..when the lines get really busy... they come to YOU with
>>> those portable terminals and start scanning thing while back in
>>> the line some distance...love it!
>>
>> One improvement they could make: Store maps. If not that, then have
>> all the stores laid out the same. There are three that I can go to
>> and they're all different.
>
> Different stores vary quite a bit in some of the product lines they
> carry so they can't be identical. I.e. go to Santa Cruz or Medford
> and they have a lot of water related sporting goods that other stores
> don't have, i.e. we bought tandem kayaks in Medford. Reno has a lot
> more snow related stuff in the winter.

Yeah, but that could all be lumped under 'seasonal recreation' or
something. I don't see why coffee, paper towels, etc. couldn't be
located in the same place in all stores.

> Seoul has fresh kim chi and seaweed made in the store. Taipei has a
> Din Tai Fung restaurant in the store on weekends. Some stores (Reno
> and Santa Rosa) roast coffee beans in the store.

OK, they can have 'local variation' areas common to all!

> One improvement I'd like to see is for certain staple products to be
> carried in all stores. I.e., for some strange reason, Sunnyvale does
> not carry popcorn, I have to go to Mountain View to buy it. When I
> asked an employee they told me that popcorn was a "seasonal
> product."

Odd. I suspect that the employee didn't know and grabbed the first
thought that passed through his/her mind.

Sam's Club looks exactly like Costco, but with slightly different
products/brands and slightly worse prices.

--
Cheers, Bev
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

The Henchman

Jul 1, 2010, 9:34:42 PM7/1/10

"The Real Bev" <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Sam's Club looks exactly like Costco, but with slightly different
> products/brands and slightly worse prices.
>
> --
> Cheers, Bev

They closed all the Sam's Clubs down in Canada a couple of years ago.
People weren't fooled. Why have two memberships when one place you could
everything at walmart across the street.

The one benefit to Sam's Clubs here was they had no line-ups, cause nobody
shopped there, and were open at 5 am for businesses.

The Henchman

Jul 1, 2010, 9:37:53 PM7/1/10

"SMS" <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote in message

> It would be very difficult to not save enough to justify a Costco
> membership. One set of tires or a years worth of gasoline or a single
> major purchase would cover the cost of a membership.

I saved about 150 bucks on a set of premium Michelin tires at Costco one
year during a "sale". Free tire rotations for life as well so that's a
savings of $20 every 6 months. That might have been the only purchase that
year I made at Costco.

The Real Bev

Jul 1, 2010, 9:54:11 PM7/1/10
On 07/01/10 18:34, The Henchman wrote:

> "The Real Bev"<bashl...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
>> Sam's Club looks exactly like Costco, but with slightly different
>> products/brands and slightly worse prices.
>

> They closed all the Sam's Clubs down in Canada a couple of years ago.
> People weren't fooled. Why have two memberships when one place you could
> everything at walmart across the street.
>
> The one benefit to Sam's Clubs here was they had no line-ups, cause nobody
> shopped there, and were open at 5 am for businesses.

Daughter has a Costco, a Super Walmart and a Sam's Club within two miles
of her house. Walking distance. She makes those stores her regular
grocery/stuff shopping destinations, bypassing the standard
supermarkets. I truly envy her.

--
Cheers, Bev
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

You know how dumb the average person is?
Well, by definition, half are *even dumber*!

SMS

Jul 2, 2010, 9:50:12 AM7/2/10
On 01/07/10 6:54 PM, The Real Bev wrote:

<snip>

> Daughter has a Costco, a Super Walmart and a Sam's Club within two miles
> of her house. Walking distance. She makes those stores her regular
> grocery/stuff shopping destinations, bypassing the standard
> supermarkets. I truly envy her.

I would hate to be a "standard supermarket" these days, trying to
compete against Super Target, Super Wal-Mart, Costco, Trader Joe's,
Sprouts, and all the ethnic supermarkets. The differences in the prices
for produce, meat, and fish are astonishing often 2x to 3x the price at
the "standard supermarkets" -- plus most of the "standard supermarkets"
sell lower quality products and a smaller variety than the Chinese,
Korean, Japanese, and Mexican markets. For meat, in my area, Lucky,
Safeway, and Whole Foods no longer sell USDA Choice or Prime meat, you
can only get it at Costco, Sprouts, Trader Joe's, and two of the higher
end supermarkets.

Seeing someone with a full cart at a "standard supermarket" these days
is an uncommon occurrence. Usually they're buying the few products that
they could not get elsewhere, or they're there because the other places
they shop aren't open early or late.

m...@privacy.net

Jul 2, 2010, 1:02:22 PM7/2/10
The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Daughter has a Costco, a Super Walmart and a Sam's Club within two miles
>of her house. Walking distance. She makes those stores her regular
>grocery/stuff shopping destinations, bypassing the standard
>supermarkets. I truly envy her.

That would be nice!

Jul 2, 2010, 6:55:59 PM7/2/10

> Seeing someone with a full cart at a "standard supermarket" these days is
> an uncommon occurrence. Usually they're buying the few products that they
> could not get elsewhere, or they're there because the other places they
> shop aren't open early or late.

Yup. I only shop the "supermarkets" for things like pāté and specialty
cheeses for holiday entertaining and the occasional "regular" item I can't
find at Wal-Mart. I buy most of my meat at the local butcher shop. I buy
holiday fowl at the local poultry farm. I do have one very small, local
market which has weekly specials, and I go there 2-3 times a month. However,
I usually only buy the items on special. I buy most of my produce at local
farmstands June-Sept, and then make do with Wal-Mart after local and my home
grown veggie supplies (frozen) run out.

Nick Naim

Jul 2, 2010, 9:19:36 PM7/2/10

"SMS" <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote in message
Thats funny I see full carts at my local A and P Pathmark and CTown and ect
all the time.

Nick Naim

Jul 2, 2010, 9:27:02 PM7/2/10

"h" <tmc...@searchmachine.com> wrote in message

> "SMS" <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote in message
>> Seeing someone with a full cart at a "standard supermarket" these days is
>> an uncommon occurrence. Usually they're buying the few products that they
>> could not get elsewhere, or they're there because the other places they
>> shop aren't open early or late.
>
> Yup. I only shop the "supermarkets" for things like pâté and specialty
> cheeses for holiday entertaining and the occasional "regular" item I can't
> find at Wal-Mart. I buy most of my meat at the local butcher shop. I buy
> holiday fowl at the local poultry farm. I do have one very small, local
> market which has weekly specials, and I go there 2-3 times a month.
> However, I usually only buy the items on special. I buy most of my produce
> at local farmstands June-Sept, and then make do with Wal-Mart after local
> and my home grown veggie supplies (frozen) run out.
Yup I do all my shopping at the local supermarket.
Most of the time they have everything I want under one roof.
Saves me alot in gas money runnin about for this and that.

SMS

Jul 3, 2010, 10:11:25 AM7/3/10
On 02/07/10 3:55 PM, h wrote:

<snip>

> Yup. I only shop the "supermarkets" for things like pāté and specialty
> cheeses for holiday entertaining and the occasional "regular" item I can't
> find at Wal-Mart. I buy most of my meat at the local butcher shop. I buy
> holiday fowl at the local poultry farm. I do have one very small, local
> market which has weekly specials, and I go there 2-3 times a month.

That's why so many traditional supermarket chains are closing a lot of
their stores.

I live in a very diverse area with a highly educated population, and
with ethnic groups that don't like to needlessly throw money away on low
quality stuff. We've lost seven "regular" supermarkets in my local area,
two Safeways, Nob Hill, Alpha Beta, All American, and a Cala, plus a
Lucky inside a Gemco. Four became Chinese supermarkets, one became a
furniture store, one a Target, one something else. Another one is on the
verge of going under. A large drug store became a Japanese supermarket.
We also have a very popular Mexican-Israeli market (probably the only
such market in the world!). We have a humongous Whole Foods (the largest
one in the west), but I don't see the appeal as they sell a lot of
non-organic produce at very high prices, and they dropped their USDA
Choice and Prime meat (and they're in the wrong area to sell hemp
clothing and to have a vegan cafe). The old Circuit City became a
"Sprout's Farmers Market" which is a very nice store. And of course
Trader Joe's is popping up all over.

We have no really nice supermarkets with good bakeries, good delis, and
good house brands (such as Publix in the southeast).

Trips to Safeway for me are generally late night runs for something that
can't wait.