THIS GROUP IS DEAD

Millhaven

Dec 11, 2010, 7:19:36 PM12/11/10
It makes me sad.

a real cheapskate

Dec 11, 2010, 9:57:53 PM12/11/10
On Dec 11, 7:19 pm, Millhaven <millha...@intergate.com> wrote:
> It makes me sad.

they are so frugal they lack internet access:)

Jeff Thies

Dec 12, 2010, 8:39:13 AM12/12/10
On 12/11/2010 7:19 PM, Millhaven wrote:
> It makes me sad.

What? Did the monkey (and his perpetually sorrowful side kick Ed) and
the guy from Ohio leave?

Tell me it ain't so!

Jeff

Millhaven

Dec 13, 2010, 7:19:06 AM12/13/10

This place just hasn't been the same ever since Old_Timer died.

Mrs Irish Mike

Dec 13, 2010, 11:15:54 AM12/13/10

What killed this group and ever increasing numbers of USENET groups
was the behavior of people like Rod Speed and his ilk. Some people
can't handle freedom of expression without turning nasty. Information
is available from moderated groups, thereby avoiding personal attacks,
off-topic rants and spam for porn and penis enlargement. Too bad.

Rod Speed

Dec 13, 2010, 2:13:07 PM12/13/10
Mrs Irish Mike wrote:
> On Dec 13, 4:19 am, Millhaven <millha...@intergate.com> wrote:

>>> What? Did the monkey (and his perpetually sorrowful side kick Ed)
>>> and the guy from Ohio leave?
>>
>>> Tell me it ain't so!
>>
>>> Jeff
>>
>> This place just hasn't been the same ever since Old_Timer died.
>
> What killed this group and ever increasing numbers of USENET
> groups was the behavior of people like Rod Speed and his ilk. Some
> people can't handle freedom of expression without turning nasty.

Corse you never ever turn nasty yourself, eh hypocrite ?

> Information is available from moderated groups, thereby avoiding
> personal attacks, off-topic rants and spam for porn and penis enlargement.

Dont let the door hit you on the arse as you leave.

Dennis

Dec 13, 2010, 7:05:12 PM12/13/10
On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 16:19:36 -0800 (PST), Millhaven
<mill...@intergate.com> wrote:

>It makes me sad.

So why don't you tell us about how crappy your job is, or how you went
to see some new band across town and chatted up some goth chick but
didn't close the deal so you went home and got stoned and ate too much
junk food. Then we could all make fun of you.

Just like old times.

Dennis (evil)

Vic Smith

Dec 13, 2010, 7:25:52 PM12/13/10
On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 00:05:12 +0000 (UTC), Dennis <dg...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 16:19:36 -0800 (PST), Millhaven
><mill...@intergate.com> wrote:
>
>>It makes me sad.
>
>So why don't you tell us about how crappy your job is, or how you went
>to see some new band across town and chatted up some goth chick but
>didn't close the deal so you went home and got stoned and ate too much
>junk food. Then we could all make fun of you.
>
>Just like old times.

Say, how did it work out with that chick Millhaven met at work?
Think I missed that. Maybe I was watching "As The World Turns."

--Vic

Millhaven

Dec 13, 2010, 7:55:48 PM12/13/10
On Dec 13, 4:05 pm, Dennis <dg...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 16:19:36 -0800 (PST), Millhaven
>
> <millha...@intergate.com> wrote:
> >It makes me sad.
>
> So why don't you tell us about how crappy your job is, or how you went
> to see some new band across town and chatted up some goth chick but
> didn't close the deal so you went home and got stoned and ate too much
> junk food.  Then we could all make fun of you.
>
> Just like old times.
>
> Dennis (evil)
> --
> "There is a fine line between participation and mockery" - Wally

I haven't been stoned in so long.

Millhaven

Dec 13, 2010, 11:18:18 PM12/13/10

R U rly a bot?

Millhaven

Dec 13, 2010, 11:18:56 PM12/13/10

I think I missed just about everything you posted because I had you
killfiled.

Jeff Thies

Dec 14, 2010, 12:48:51 AM12/14/10

Is there a reason for that?

Jeff

Millhaven

Dec 14, 2010, 1:15:32 AM12/14/10

I don't smoke weed anymore. I was totally sober for 2 1/2 years and
have been trying to fall off the wagon here and there the last year
but I am just not feeling it.

Mr Bungle 34

Dec 14, 2010, 9:58:44 AM12/14/10
This place died when the frugal sex Jake Guy left/when he got caught
by Chris Hanson.

The Real Bev

Dec 15, 2010, 2:01:27 AM12/15/10

And worse -- the people who reply to them. Mea culpa, I got better.

People -- myself included -- have migrated to more-or-less private (by
invitation only) yahoo groups from formerly-joyful usenet groups. I
still read the original group, but most of the activity has moved away.
The yahoo group has the same flavor as the original newsgroup, but not
much new blood coming in. Note: such groups MUST have a mail option --
reading web-based 'forums' is painful and only worth doing when
searching for specific information.

Is there an equivalent yahoo/whatever group for us cheapskates?

--
Cheers, Bev
HAMMER: Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays

Jim Brown

Dec 15, 2010, 3:38:11 AM12/15/10
The Real Bev wrote:
> On 12/13/10 08:15, Mrs Irish Mike wrote:
>
>> On Dec 13, 4:19 am, Millhaven<millha...@intergate.com> wrote:
>>> This place just hasn't been the same ever since Old_Timer died.
>>
>> What killed this group and ever increasing numbers of USENET groups
>> was the behavior of people like Rod Speed and his ilk. Some people
>> can't handle freedom of expression without turning nasty. Information
>> is available from moderated groups, thereby avoiding personal
>> attacks, off-topic rants and spam for porn and penis enlargement.
>> Too bad.

> And worse -- the people who reply to them. Mea culpa, I got better.

Like hell you did. You just replied to the fool that fucked over
this group a hell of a lot more comprehensively than I ever did.

> People -- myself included -- have migrated to more-or-less private (by
> invitation only) yahoo groups from formerly-joyful usenet groups. I
> still read the original group, but most of the activity has moved
> away. The yahoo group has the same flavor as the original newsgroup,
> but not much new blood coming in.

And thats always the problem with that approach.

> Note: such groups MUST have a mail option -- reading web-based 'forums' is painful and only worth doing when
> searching for specific information.

> Is there an equivalent yahoo/whatever group for us cheapskates?

Nope.

Dennis

Dec 15, 2010, 7:57:50 PM12/15/10

Still answering phones?

Mrs Irish Mike

Dec 16, 2010, 1:01:52 AM12/16/10
On Dec 14, 6:58 am, Mr Bungle 34 <michael_grov...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> This place died when the frugal sex Jake Guy left/when he got caught
> by Chris Hanson.

That guy was one of those that made this group a must read.

Millhaven

Dec 16, 2010, 1:44:54 AM12/16/10

There are so many broke, desperate chicks out there now it's hard to
believe I ever had trouble getting laid.

Millhaven

Dec 16, 2010, 2:11:16 AM12/16/10
On Dec 15, 4:57 pm, Dennis <dg...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 16:55:48 -0800 (PST), Millhaven
>

> <millha...@intergate.com> wrote:
> >On Dec 13, 4:05 pm, Dennis <dg...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> >> So why don't you tell us about how crappy your job is, or how you went
> >> to see some new band across town and chatted up some goth chick but
> >> didn't close the deal so you went home and got stoned and ate too much
> >> junk food. Then we could all make fun of you.
>
> >> Just like old times.
>
> >> Dennis (evil)
> >> --
> >> "There is a fine line between participation and mockery" - Wally
>
> >I haven't been stoned in so long.
>
> Still answering phones?

Not when I can help it.

But I do thank gawd every day that I have a job. And enough money to
do pretty much everything I want to, as long as I am still happy not
doing much that is.

Dennis

Dec 16, 2010, 6:01:08 PM12/16/10

Well crap -- if you're happy (or at least content) with your job, not
perpetually stoned and doing stupid stuff, and not whining over
failure to get laid, you've pretty much outgrown your utility as
newsgroup pet.

What good are you?

Millhaven

Dec 16, 2010, 6:32:58 PM12/16/10

I haven't posted much here the last several years.

But still, the state of this group makes me sad. It's like going home
only to find it overgrown with weeds and no one home.

imascot

Dec 17, 2010, 5:33:07 PM12/17/10
Millhaven <mill...@intergate.com> wrote in

Great description, unfortunately true. The irony of USENET being flooded with spam is that there is
probably no other group of internet users who are less likely to respond to spam. sigh

J.

Jeff Thies

Dec 17, 2010, 6:30:35 PM12/17/10

An astute observation. Our local wackos included, we are still a more
savvy group. And one more inclined to seek revenge against spammers than
the hoi poloi.

Jeff