HSBC only gives me 1% on 2% reward card

jul...@yahoo.com

Dec 22, 2008, 4:29:57 PM12/22/08
I have been using HSBC “2% reward card” (Master Card, see link
http://www.hsbccreditcard.com/ecare/cards?docId=Cards_Tab_data_cards_hs_p4_xml
) for about a year. This card is supposed to give me 2% rebate on all
weekend purchases (based on Transaction Date as defined in the
Agreement). However, recently I did an audit on my past year
statements and found I received only 1% in ALL of my weekend
purchases. I then call HSBC card customer rep, and they did not give
me a clear answer. I then contacted the HSBS management and complained
the issue with BBB (July 2008). Only then did I receive an official
letter from the HSBC, admitting the error. The mistake was system wide
and every card member received only 1% rebate on the weekend
purchases. They promised me to fix the problem, but three months later
when I called the rep again, still no solution. As of today
(12/22/2008), I still get 1% reward only. I never receive the other
missing 1% as originally promised in the card Agreement.

Since everyone is affected, why is there no such related complaint in
the Internet? If you have HSBC 2% reward card, have you done an audit
on the reward calculations?

James

Dec 22, 2008, 7:41:27 PM12/22/08
On Dec 22, 4:29 pm, jul...@yahoo.com wrote:
> I have been using HSBC “2% reward card” (Master Card, see linkhttp://www.hsbccreditcard.com/ecare/cards?docId=Cards_Tab_data_cards_...

> ) for about a year. This card is supposed to give me 2% rebate on all
> weekend purchases (based on Transaction Date as defined in the
> Agreement). However, recently I did an audit on my past year
> statements and found I received only 1% in ALL of my weekend
> purchases. I then call HSBC card customer rep, and they did not give
> me a clear answer. I then contacted the HSBS management and complained
> the issue with BBB (July 2008). Only then did I receive an official
> letter from the HSBC, admitting the error. The mistake was system wide
> and every card member received only 1% rebate on the weekend
> purchases. They promised me to fix the problem, but three months later
> when I called the rep again, still no solution. As of today
> (12/22/2008), I still get 1% reward only. I never receive the other
> missing 1% as originally promised in the card Agreement.
>
> Since everyone is affected, why is there no such related complaint in
> the Internet? If you have HSBC 2% reward card, have you done an audit
> on the reward calculations?

My best deal is the Shell gas card. I suppose other oil card give the
same deal. 5% off on gasoline. Usually cheaper with the rebate than
no name gas. Of course if gas drops below a buck the no name gas
might come out cheaper.

The Real Bev

Dec 22, 2008, 9:04:43 PM12/22/08
James wrote:

> On Dec 22, 4:29 pm, jul...@yahoo.com wrote:
>>
>> Since everyone is affected, why is there no such related complaint in
>> the Internet? If you have HSBC 2% reward card, have you done an audit
>> on the reward calculations?

Not easy to do. (1) A lot depends on how the merchant announces itself,
which you have no way of knowing; and (2) there is no breakdown given.
The website may offer more complete information, but still not enough.

I figure I have to trust them; anything else is a LOT of work for
little return.

> My best deal is the Shell gas card. I suppose other oil card give the
> same deal. 5% off on gasoline. Usually cheaper with the rebate than
> no name gas. Of course if gas drops below a buck the no name gas
> might come out cheaper.

Costco gas is almost always significantly cheaper than the cheapest gas
anywhere nearby AND you get a 3% rebate if you have the Costco-Amex
card, which is free. And they give you a better rebate breakdown than
the Visa/MC people do. Don't know about Discover, I've only used the
card twice since they started up.

--
Cheers, Bev
If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting