Low service cost internet phone

Terri Smith

Feb 14, 2011, 8:06:13 AM2/14/11
Like to get an android phone that has internet at low cost.

Virgin Mobile has a $25/mo that allows unlimited internet. Anyone know of
any other ways to go. I don't need unlimited.

Thanks
Terry

Jeff Thies

Feb 14, 2011, 8:15:48 AM2/14/11

I don't see how you are going to do less than $25/month. Kroger (the
grocery store) sell Androids now. 2.5Gig limit. I've never seen a 3G
with more than 5GB limit, at least not where I live.

Jeff

> Thanks
> Terry

a real cheapskate

Feb 14, 2011, 6:04:40 PM2/14/11
> > Terry- Hide quoted text -

net 10 has a unlimited cell phone, text, internet, picture message
package including free 411 for 50 bucks a month.

SMS

Feb 14, 2011, 9:37:08 PM2/14/11

That Virgin service is the best deal. However understand that with
Virgin you are limited, both for phone and data, to Sprint's _native_
network. There is no roaming allowed. This means that in a great many
places you will have no coverage at all. It's not like Sprint postpaid
where you can roam (at least for voice) onto Verizon and other CDMA
carriers. Sprint's native network is limited to major metro areas. When
you go into rural areas, even rural parts of the metro areas, you will
have no coverage (other than 911).

The other option is Pageplus Cellular. For $30 a month you get 1200
minutes of voice, 1200 texts, and 50MB of data. You're limited to
Verizon's network at that price, but off-network voice roaming is
available at extra cost if you occasionally need it. You can use any
Verizon Android phone. Blackberry and iPhones are not allowed. 50MB of
data isn't a great deal, but it's enough for many people considering the
wide availability of Wi-Fi in many areas.

SMS

Feb 15, 2011, 4:14:40 AM2/15/11

All four of the major carriers offer unlimited 3G on the handset (AT&T
has brought it back, though unofficially, and Verizon dropped their
150MB metered plan). The 5GB limit is for laptop connect devices. They
prohibit tethering to the 3G handset (in their terms and conditions)
though many people do it anyway. Virgin does not have a 5GB limit on
their laptop connect device, but their 3G network is slow and the
coverage is limited.