cruise ship

Ohioguy

Nov 12, 2010, 8:00:30 AM11/12/10
My wife would like us to go on a cruise in January - something in the
Eastern Caribbean. We don't really care which cruise line, or which
date - just a 7 day cruise. This isn't my first choice for a vacation,
but I'll probably enjoy parts of it - like the shows, piano bar &
buffets. Besides, the last vacation we took was my choice - road trip
across Canada.

I was wondering if any of you would mind sharing any tips you have on:

A) airfare - best to do a package deal, or no?

B) cruise - how to get the best price?

C) avoiding annoyances - like photographers, additional costs

Regarding the airfare, I've found roundtrip air from Ohio to Florida
for roughly $235 total per person on Expedia. This was a couple of
months back, and I'm sure it fluctuates. When I tried adding airfare
through several cruise websites, however, they wanted between $600 and
$800 per person, which seemed ridiculous. However, I'm a bit worried
that if I don't do it as a package deal, we'll miss a connection
somewhere between airport & the cruise ship.

On the cruise itself, I've looked at cruisecheap.com,
cruisebrothers.com, cruisehotsheet.com, and others. Whatever I end up
finding, it seems like it can be had for $80-$120 cheaper on
cruisecompete.com, which is good if you have a specific cruise in mind,
specific date, specific ship. In this case, all I care about is week
long, Eastern Caribbean, and I don't care much about cruise line, ship,
or even particular date, other than January 2011.

Finally, I'd like to avoid annoyances on the cruise. In particular,
I've heard that on some cruise ships, cruise line photographers are
everywhere, getting in your face, trying to get photos of you to resell
to you later. I'm one of those guys who gets worked up just looking at
red light photo cameras, so you can imagine how I react when a stranger
keeps taking photos. I'd really prefer to go on a ship/line that
doesn't have many of those snooping photographers all over the place.

So, anyone have recommendations? If so, I greatly appreciate the
time and thought you put into a response. Thanks be to you, and to God,
and may you have a blessed day.

New Leaf

Nov 12, 2010, 10:40:59 AM11/12/10

-don't take the cruise line's air package. It's a waste of money
-fly in the day before. You'll be paying an extra night in a hotel,
but that's better than missing your ship by flying in the day of. Some
hotels offer shuttles to the cruise port, so that saves the cabfare
-book your excursions privately rather than through the ship
-the photogs aren't all that annoying. It's easier to let them take
your picture than waste time and energy telling them why you don't
want one. There is no pressure to buy pictures
-ditto for the people selling drinks in fancy glasses. Decide what you
like to drink and figure out the packages they offer. For example,
they have beer bucket specials and soda cards on most ships

The best resource for figuring all this out is www.cruisecritic.com
and click on the "boards" section on the upper left. People on there
are really nice about answering questions.

Viv

Rod Speed

Nov 12, 2010, 7:38:07 PM11/12/10

> So, anyone have recommendations?

Wear a paper bag over your head with a couple of eye holes cut in it.

That should keep the photographers at bay.

On the other hand...

You could try a shotgun.

> If so, I greatly appreciate the time and thought you put into a response. Thanks be to you, and to God, and may you
> have a blessed day.

I'm a heathen.

sf

Dec 16, 2010, 3:13:54 AM12/16/10
On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 08:00:30 -0500, Ohioguy <no...@none.net> wrote:

> Finally, I'd like to avoid annoyances on the cruise. In particular,
> I've heard that on some cruise ships, cruise line photographers are
> everywhere, getting in your face, trying to get photos of you to resell
> to you later. I'm one of those guys who gets worked up just looking at
> red light photo cameras, so you can imagine how I react when a stranger
> keeps taking photos. I'd really prefer to go on a ship/line that
> doesn't have many of those snooping photographers all over the place.

I've been on several cruises and photographers are *not* in your face.
There are certain days when they are set up at a station to take
purely optional formal shots. Other than the port pictures (another
station you can bypass or not), that's it. The rest of the time, they
run the ship's equivalent of a camera store where they would like to
sell you something but they're happy to give you mini lessons on how
to use your camera. Photos are displayed on the wall and you can
purchase them or not. There is no pressure to have your picture taken
and no hard sell for you to buy them.

Please believe me when I say the people who told you ship
photographers are "in your face" must be antisocial rubes who wouldn't
know "in your face" if it slapped them in the face.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

SMS

Dec 16, 2010, 11:26:44 AM12/16/10
On Nov 12, 5:00 am, Ohioguy <n...@none.net> wrote:
>    My wife would like us to go on acruisein January - something in the
> Eastern Caribbean.  We don't really care whichcruiseline, or which
> date - just a 7 daycruise.  This isn't my first choice for a vacation,

> but I'll probably enjoy parts of it - like the shows, piano bar &
> buffets.  Besides, the last vacation we took was my choice - road trip
> across Canada.
>
>    I was wondering if any of you would mind sharing any tips you have on:
>
> A) airfare - best to do a package deal, or no?

Never do a package deal.

> B)cruise- how to get the best price?

Wait until the last minute, but that tends to increase air-fare
prices. I was on a flight to Fort Lauderdale last year and the lady
next to me was on her way to a 7 day eastern Caribbean cruise that she
had booked at the last minute for $199. Just think what seven days of
meals and hotel would cost on a vacation.

> C) avoiding annoyances - like photographers, additional costs

Because the basic cruise cost is a loss leader on the major cruise
lines they count on making money on shore excursions, alcohol, and a
bunch of other things like photography, selling worthless art at high
prices to dumb people, shopping, etc. You are forbidden from bringing
on your own wine, beer, or liquor of course.

>    Regarding the airfare, I've found roundtrip air from Ohio to Florida
> for roughly $235 total per person on Expedia.  This was a couple of
> months back, and I'm sure it fluctuates.  When I tried adding airfare

> through severalcruisewebsites, however, they wanted between $600 and

> $800 per person, which seemed ridiculous.  However, I'm a bit worried
> that if I don't do it as a package deal, we'll miss a connection
> somewhere between airport & thecruiseship.

January is high tourist season in Florida, so $235 is a good deal.

>    On thecruiseitself, I've looked at cruisecheap.com,

> cruisebrothers.com, cruisehotsheet.com, and others.  Whatever I end up
> finding, it seems like it can be had for $80-$120 cheaper on
> cruisecompete.com, which is good if you have a specificcruisein mind,

> specific date, specificship.  In this case, all I care about is week

> long, Eastern Caribbean, and I don't care much aboutcruiseline,ship,
> or even particular date, other than January 2011.

Watch out for hidden fees.

>    Finally, I'd like to avoid annoyances on thecruise.  In particular,
> I've heard that on somecruiseships,cruiseline photographers are
> everywhere, getting in yourface, trying to get photos of you to resell

> to you later.  I'm one of those guys who gets worked up just looking at

> redlightphoto cameras, so you can imagine how I react when a stranger
> keeps taking photos.  I'd really prefer to go on aship/line that

> doesn't have many of those snooping photographers all over the place.

Good luck with that. But just make up a good story like "my agent
requires that you pay me for all photos."

sf

Dec 28, 2010, 7:29:32 PM12/28/10
On Thu, 16 Dec 2010 08:26:44 -0800 (PST), SMS
<scharf...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Nov 12, 5:00 am, Ohioguy <n...@none.net> wrote:
> >    My wife would like us to go on acruisein January - something in the
> > Eastern Caribbean.  We don't really care whichcruiseline, or which
> > date - just a 7 daycruise.  This isn't my first choice for a vacation,
> > but I'll probably enjoy parts of it - like the shows, piano bar &
> > buffets.  Besides, the last vacation we took was my choice - road trip
> > across Canada.
> >
> >    I was wondering if any of you would mind sharing any tips you have on:
> >
> > A) airfare - best to do a package deal, or no?
>
> Never do a package deal.
>
> > B)cruise- how to get the best price?
>
> Wait until the last minute, but that tends to increase air-fare
> prices. I was on a flight to Fort Lauderdale last year and the lady
> next to me was on her way to a 7 day eastern Caribbean cruise that she
> had booked at the last minute for $199. Just think what seven days of
> meals and hotel would cost on a vacation.

Did you mean subscribe to a web site like vacationstogo.com? Not
every ship has last minute bargains. For instance, we booked a trip
last spring for this coming spring. Last September some people wanted
to join us but the ship was completely booked. You snooze, you lose.

> > C) avoiding annoyances - like photographers, additional costs
>
> Because the basic cruise cost is a loss leader on the major cruise
> lines they count on making money on shore excursions, alcohol, and a
> bunch of other things like photography, selling worthless art at high
> prices to dumb people, shopping, etc. You are forbidden from bringing
> on your own wine, beer, or liquor of course.

It also helps stop out of control drunkenness. Avoid the "shows"
because they are worse than third rate, but the disco is a lot of fun.

> >    Regarding the airfare, I've found roundtrip air from Ohio to Florida
> > for roughly $235 total per person on Expedia.  This was a couple of
> > months back, and I'm sure it fluctuates.  When I tried adding airfare
> > through severalcruisewebsites, however, they wanted between $600 and
> > $800 per person, which seemed ridiculous.  However, I'm a bit worried
> > that if I don't do it as a package deal, we'll miss a connection
> > somewhere between airport & thecruiseship.
>
> January is high tourist season in Florida, so $235 is a good deal.
>
> >    On thecruiseitself, I've looked at cruisecheap.com,
> > cruisebrothers.com, cruisehotsheet.com, and others.  Whatever I end up
> > finding, it seems like it can be had for $80-$120 cheaper on
> > cruisecompete.com, which is good if you have a specificcruisein mind,
> > specific date, specificship.  In this case, all I care about is week
> > long, Eastern Caribbean, and I don't care much aboutcruiseline,ship,
> > or even particular date, other than January 2011.
>
> Watch out for hidden fees.

Hidden? You mean not included, like port fees often are not? Buyer
beware, get everything in writing and ask lots of questions. Visit
sites like tripadvisor.com if you're completely clueless or need to
see what other vacationers have said about what you plan to do.

> >    Finally, I'd like to avoid annoyances on thecruise.  In particular,
> > I've heard that on somecruiseships,cruiseline photographers are
> > everywhere, getting in yourface, trying to get photos of you to resell
> > to you later.  I'm one of those guys who gets worked up just looking at
> > redlightphoto cameras, so you can imagine how I react when a stranger
> > keeps taking photos.  I'd really prefer to go on aship/line that
> > doesn't have many of those snooping photographers all over the place.
>
> Good luck with that. But just make up a good story like "my agent
> requires that you pay me for all photos."

Take every pictured offered, if you wish, and smile pretty. You're
under no obligation to buy any of them.