Circuit City liquidators selling shattered TVs, other junk, at high prices

AllEmailDeletedImmediately

Feb 25, 2009, 4:34:06 PM2/25/09

albu...@mailinator.com

Feb 25, 2009, 5:50:04 PM2/25/09
On Feb 25, 4:34 pm, "AllEmailDeletedImmediately" <der...@hotmail.com>
wrote:
> http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2009/02/24/circuit-city-liquidators-sel...

Well, if a person can't notice a "shattered TV", they deserve to be
taken. Distressed merchandise has to be purchased at a firesale price
or not at all. That's my motto. I don't care about any warranty or
service, but I want to be able to demonstrate the item briefly. If I
can't even do that, the price has to be by-the-pound.

skul...@live.com

Feb 25, 2009, 7:41:17 PM2/25/09
that is why i would never by any big money items at these fradulent
sales.

AllEmailDeletedImmediately wrote:
> http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2009/02/24/circuit-city-liquidators-selling-shattered-tvs-other-junk-at-h/

lorad

Feb 25, 2009, 8:05:26 PM2/25/09
On Feb 25, 4:41 pm, skullu...@live.com wrote:
> that is why i would never by any big money items at these fradulent
> sales.
>
> AllEmailDeletedImmediately wrote:
> >http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2009/02/24/circuit-city-liquidators-sel...-

I never was impressed with circuit city..

A few of their ads had good prices.. but more than once I showed up
only to be told that the item had been sold out of that the shipment
had been delayed.
After two or three times of hearing that, I just stopped going.

Marsha

Feb 25, 2009, 8:11:08 PM2/25/09
lorad wrote:
> I never was impressed with circuit city..
>
> A few of their ads had good prices.. but more than once I showed up
> only to be told that the item had been sold out of that the shipment
> had been delayed.
> After two or three times of hearing that, I just stopped going.

I had better luck with Circuit City than with Best Buy, whose people
seemed to be clueless. Salesmen at Circuit City actually had a lot of
knowledge about the things they sold and were happy to spend as much
time as I needed to help make an informed decision about what model of
whatever to buy or not.

Marsha

robw

Feb 25, 2009, 8:18:01 PM2/25/09

How long ago are we talking, Marsha?

Up until a couple years ago CC's sales staff was on a stipend.
They were trained to sell.
BB never did that with their staffs.

axiom

Feb 25, 2009, 9:32:53 PM2/25/09

http://consumerist.com has a discussion on this, too.

> I never was impressed with circuit city..
>
> A few of their ads had good prices.. but more than once I showed up only
> to be told that the item had been sold out of that the shipment had been
> delayed.

Things were "sold out" so often that I started calling to verify that
sales items were in stock before going out of my way to visit their
store. That turned out to be useless because they'd just lie about it to
get me in the door.

> After two or three times of hearing that, I just stopped going.

Yep. It's been years since I was in the Circuit City store, even though
I regularly visit the Best Buy just a half-mile away.

Evelyn Leeper

Feb 25, 2009, 10:21:53 PM2/25/09

You must have missed the part where customers were not allowed to open
the boxes.

--
Evelyn C. Leeper
Nobody believes the official spokesman ... but everybody

SMS

Feb 25, 2009, 11:11:17 PM2/25/09
skul...@live.com wrote:
> that is why i would never by any big money items at these fradulent
> sales.

When you see how poor the deals are at CC you want to scream at all the
idiot buying stuff for more than it costs at a still-in-business retailer.

Maybe it's just morally wrong to allow a sucker to keep his money.

For Better Or Worse

Feb 25, 2009, 11:41:00 PM2/25/09
Hmm, who is responsible for Circuit City going belly up? Is it Bush or
Obama?

In all the confusion, I forget now....

Mark Anderson

Feb 25, 2009, 11:54:04 PM2/25/09
On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 20:11:17 -0800, SMS wrote:

> When you see how poor the deals are at CC you want to scream at all the
> idiot buying stuff for more than it costs at a still-in-business
> retailer.

See

http://dealnews.com/features/Inside-Circuit-Citys-Liquidation-
Sale/276019.html

SMS

Feb 26, 2009, 12:36:15 AM2/26/09

Richard L. Sharp and DiVX.

Bill

Feb 26, 2009, 1:51:30 AM2/26/09
On 2/25/2009 9:32 PM, axiom wrote:

> Things were "sold out" so often that I started calling to verify that
> sales items were in stock before going out of my way to visit their
> store. That turned out to be useless because they'd just lie about it to
> get me in the door.

I guess that ordering online for in-store pickup was too
difficult for you? That way, if you got there and they didn't
have it, they were supposed to give you a $24 gift card
(although they often tried to get out of it, often by calling
you if they didn't have it, but at least you saved a trip if
they were OOS).

Bill

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

axiom

Feb 26, 2009, 9:35:00 AM2/26/09

I started to do that a few times, but once I was online I somehow always
ended up at Newegg or Amazon. The prices are significantly better and
they can bring it right to my doorstep.

Message has been deleted

Dave

Feb 26, 2009, 10:20:12 AM2/26/09

<albu...@mailinator.com> wrote in message

> On Feb 25, 4:34 pm, "AllEmailDeletedImmediately" <der...@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
> > http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2009/02/24/circuit-city-liquidators-sel...
>
> Well, if a person can't notice a "shattered TV", they deserve to be
> taken.

The rules of the liquidators FORBID opening packages prior to purchase.
After purchase, there is no returns, no refunds. -Dave

SMS

Feb 26, 2009, 2:44:51 PM2/26/09
Evelyn Leeper wrote:
> albu...@mailinator.com wrote:
>> On Feb 25, 4:34 pm, "AllEmailDeletedImmediately" <der...@hotmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2009/02/24/circuit-city-liquidators-sel...
>>
>> Well, if a person can't notice a "shattered TV", they deserve to be
>> taken. Distressed merchandise has to be purchased at a firesale price
>> or not at all. That's my motto. I don't care about any warranty or
>> service, but I want to be able to demonstrate the item briefly. If I
>> can't even do that, the price has to be by-the-pound.
>
> You must have missed the part where customers were not allowed to open
> the boxes.

He didn't miss it, he works for the liquidator and he enforces it!

Seerialmom

Feb 26, 2009, 7:12:24 PM2/26/09
On Feb 25, 1:34 pm, "AllEmailDeletedImmediately" <der...@hotmail.com>
wrote:
> http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2009/02/24/circuit-city-liquidators-sel...

I went to the local Circuit City here that was open for less than 2 or
3 months before the liquidation started; most items were still in box
but I didn't see anything I couldn't live without. But I tend to be
fairly skeptical at any of this liquidation sales; especially when you
see stuff not normally sold there. Definitely buyer beware no matter
which company is "liquidating".

Marsha

Feb 26, 2009, 7:27:43 PM2/26/09

I'm guessing I bought my last digital camera and DVD recorder/player at
CC about 2-3 years ago. I bought one or two major items prior to that.
I have not been there since word broke of their going out of business.
You can have different levels of service at different sites, just like
any other store. I hear people in different cities complain about
WalMart all the time, but ours are clean, well stocked, and all the
employees are helpful and friendly. I haven't been to BB for anything
other than the occasional CD or video for years. It seemed like they
just wanted to make the sale, and did not have much knowledge of the
product, whereas CC never tried to rush me into anything and they were
never upset (in my presence anyway) if I chose not to buy at that moment.

Marsha

Message has been deleted

The Real Bev

Feb 27, 2009, 1:18:38 PM2/27/09
Shawn Hirn wrote:

> Poor management on the part of CC's managers. If it was Bush or Obama,
> then why isn't Best Buy going out of business too? I keep hearing from
> the Republicans that the American people are best at deciding how to
> spend their money, and many are, but there are millions who have no clue
> how to spend wisely.

Same with government, but THEY didn't actually earn the money, they took it by
force.

> You can find those foolish people in line at
> Circuit City's going out of business sale.

And lots of other places too, but I don't shop there either :-).

--
Cheers, Bev
The beatings will continue until morale improves

Rod Speed

Feb 27, 2009, 2:08:01 PM2/27/09
The Real Bev wrote:
> Shawn Hirn wrote:
>
>> For Better Or Worse <doug...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hmm, who is responsible for Circuit City going belly up? Is it Bush
>>> or Obama?
>>>
>>> In all the confusion, I forget now....
>>
>> Poor management on the part of CC's managers. If it was Bush or
>> Obama, then why isn't Best Buy going out of business too? I keep
>> hearing from the Republicans that the American people are best at
>> deciding how to spend their money, and many are, but there are
>> millions who have no clue how to spend wisely.

> Same with government, but THEY didn't actually earn the money, they took it by force.

Like hell they did. Most didnt require any force to pay up.

The Real Bev

Feb 28, 2009, 12:19:41 AM2/28/09
Rod Speed wrote:
> The Real Bev wrote:
>> Shawn Hirn wrote:

>>> Poor management on the part of CC's managers. If it was Bush or
>>> Obama, then why isn't Best Buy going out of business too? I keep
>>> hearing from the Republicans that the American people are best at
>>> deciding how to spend their money, and many are, but there are
>>> millions who have no clue how to spend wisely.
>
>> Same with government, but THEY didn't actually earn the money, they took it by force.
>
> Like hell they did. Most didnt require any force to pay up.

It's the threat of force. If taxes were voluntary the US, and probably Oz,
would be very different. I might give them some money, but I would permit it to
be used only for the purposes I select.

>>> You can find those foolish people in line at
>>> Circuit City's going out of business sale.
>>
>> And lots of other places too, but I don't shop there either :-).

--
Cheers,
Bev
=/=\=/=\=/=\=/=\=/=\=/=\=/=\=/=\=/=\=/=\=/=\=/=\=/=\=/=\=/=\=
"Sure, everyone's in favor of saving Hitler's brain, but when
you put it into the body of a great white shark, suddenly
you're a madman." --Futurama

Message has been deleted

Rod Speed

Feb 28, 2009, 3:05:17 PM2/28/09
The Real Bev wrote

> Rod Speed wrote
>> The Real Bev wrote
>>> Shawn Hirn wrote

>>> Same with government, but THEY didn't actually earn the money, they took it by force.

>> Like hell they did. Most didnt require any force to pay up.

> It's the threat of force.

Nope, in practice the tax is deducted from your pay and no force whatever is involved.

It isnt even possible for most to avoid the tax getting deducted from their pay.

> If taxes were voluntary the US, and probably Oz, would be very different.

Irrelevant to whether force is involved.

> I might give them some money, but I would permit it to be used only for the purposes I select.

Irrelevant to whether force is involved.

Rod Speed

Feb 28, 2009, 3:07:17 PM2/28/09
Shawn Hirn wrote:
> In article <08Wpl.77463$2h5....@newsfe11.iad>,

> The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Shawn Hirn wrote:

>>> Poor management on the part of CC's managers. If it was Bush or
>>> Obama, then why isn't Best Buy going out of business too? I keep
>>> hearing from the Republicans that the American people are best at
>>> deciding how to spend their money, and many are, but there are
>>> millions who have no clue how to spend wisely.
>>
>> Same with government, but THEY didn't actually earn the money, they
>> took it by force.
>
> Force? Anyone who dislikes paying taxes can move to one of those
> countries where they don't charge high taxes and change their
> citizenship. No one is holding a gun to your head to force you to live
> in an area where the taxes are higher then you prefer.

>>> You can find those foolish people in line at
>>> Circuit City's going out of business sale.
>>
>> And lots of other places too, but I don't shop there either :-).
>
> Yup. I much prefer online shopping, especially for bulky items. For
> example, I got a kitten a few days ago, so I shopped around for a cat
> condominium. Everything I saw locally was too expensive and probably
> would not have fit in my car. I went online (googled for "cat
> condominium") and found one that is unlike anything I have seen in
> local pet stores and it is cheaper then the local stores wanted for
> their cat condominiums, and shipping is free.

Only fucking yanks have cat condominiums. Or more strictly wanking yanks.

Kayak44

Feb 28, 2009, 4:00:31 PM2/28/09
On Feb 28, 3:07 pm, "Rod Speed" <rod.speed....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Shawn Hirn wrote:
> > In article <08Wpl.77463$2h5.53...@newsfe11.iad>,

> > The Real Bev <bashley...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Shawn Hirn wrote:
>
> Only fucking yanks have cat condominiums. Or more strictly wanking yanks.- Hide quoted text -

Rod is mad because the cats in the US have a nicer place to live than
he does.

The Real Bev

Feb 28, 2009, 6:36:26 PM2/28/09
Shawn Hirn wrote:

> In article <08Wpl.77463$2h5....@newsfe11.iad>,
> The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Shawn Hirn wrote:

>> > Poor management on the part of CC's managers. If it was Bush or Obama,
>> > then why isn't Best Buy going out of business too? I keep hearing from
>> > the Republicans that the American people are best at deciding how to
>> > spend their money, and many are, but there are millions who have no clue
>> > how to spend wisely.
>>
>> Same with government, but THEY didn't actually earn the money, they took it
>> by force.
>

> Force? Anyone who dislikes paying taxes can move to one of those
> countries where they don't charge high taxes and change their
> citizenship. No one is holding a gun to your head to force you to live
> in an area where the taxes are higher then you prefer.

That's not a solution. I was born here. This is MY place. I speak the
language. I know where to find the bathrooms. Everybody I know IRL lives here.
All things considered, shooting the bastards is more honorable than moving out.

>> > You can find those foolish people in line at
>> > Circuit City's going out of business sale.
>>
>> And lots of other places too, but I don't shop there either :-).
>

> Yup. I much prefer online shopping, especially for bulky items. For
> example, I got a kitten a few days ago, so I shopped around for a cat
> condominium. Everything I saw locally was too expensive and probably
> would not have fit in my car. I went online (googled for "cat
> condominium") and found one that is unlike anything I have seen in local
> pet stores and it is cheaper then the local stores wanted for their cat
> condominiums, and shipping is free.

Is this a fancy word for one of those fiberglass things with a grille on one end?

Hint for stuffing a cat into a soft cat carrier: Wrap the cat in several layers
of toweling before stuffing and be really fast with the zipper. Leather
gardening gloves are a waste of time unless you have the above-the-elbow style.

--
Cheers, Bev
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

The Real Bev

Feb 28, 2009, 6:41:53 PM2/28/09
Rod Speed wrote:

> The Real Bev wrote
>

> Nope, in practice the tax is deducted from your pay and no force whatever is involved.
>
> It isnt even possible for most to avoid the tax getting deducted from their pay.

You can claim exemption from income taxes or claim large numbers of deductions,
but the employer is then on the hook if the employee doesn't cough up the cash
at tax time. Accordingly, avoiding deduction might indeed not be possible.

>> If taxes were voluntary the US, and probably Oz, would be very different.
>
> Irrelevant to whether force is involved.
>
>> I might give them some money, but I would permit it to be used only for the purposes I select.
>
> Irrelevant to whether force is involved.

Ultimately, if you don't give them the money they will send goons to your home
to seize your possessions (possibly your family) and haul you off to jail. All
the government has is force -- do you think that people would voluntarily give
up half their income to pay for things they would pay NOT to have exist?.

Rod Speed

Feb 28, 2009, 7:13:02 PM2/28/09
The Real Bev wrote

> Rod Speed wrote
>> The Real Bev wrote
>>> Rod Speed wrote

>>> It's the threat of force.

>> Nope, in practice the tax is deducted from your pay and no force whatever is involved.

>> It isnt even possible for most to avoid the tax getting deducted from their pay.

> You can claim exemption from income taxes

Most wont get the exemption approved.

> or claim large numbers of deductions,

You still have your taxes deducted.

> but the employer is then on the hook if the employee
> doesn't cough up the cash at tax time. Accordingly, avoiding deduction might indeed not be possible.

Yeah, in practical terms it isnt for most.

>>> If taxes were voluntary the US, and probably Oz, would be very different.

>> Irrelevant to whether force is involved.

>>> I might give them some money, but I would permit it to be used only for the purposes I select.

>> Irrelevant to whether force is involved.

> Ultimately, if you don't give them the money they will send goons to your home to seize your possessions (possibly
> your family) and haul you off to jail.

Nope, they have to get a court to rule that you havent paid your taxes.

> All the government has is force

Thats just plain wrong, they can also just take your money from your accounts.

> -- do you think that people would voluntarily give up half their income to pay for things they would pay NOT to have
> exist?.

Irrelevant to whether force is involved.

awthr...@gmail.com

Feb 28, 2009, 7:26:00 PM2/28/09
On Feb 26, 8:24 am, Scott in SoCal <scottenazt...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> In message
> <215a244e-a1e7-42ee-bb3f-7e12ce0d0...@l39g2000yqn.googlegroups.com>,

> skullu...@live.com wrote:
> >that is why i would never by any big money items at these fradulent
> >sales.
>
> Sadly, there are a LOT of suckers who are doing precisely that. There
> were Fry's-like lines at the Circuit Shitty near my house when I
> stopped in the other day. Any fleeting temptation I might have felt to
> buy anything quickly evaporated at the prospect of standing in line
> for 30 minutes to pay for the purchase.

I stopped into the CC near me a couple months before they closed.
Their prices were really high even though they were advertising
closeout sales. Everything was sold as is. What a farce.

The Real Bev

Feb 28, 2009, 9:45:47 PM2/28/09

No. When I paid quarterlies I took 9 deductions, which resulted in no
withholding. Didn't help with social security or disability, but that was OK.

>> but the employer is then on the hook if the employee doesn't cough up the
>> cash at tax time. Accordingly, avoiding deduction might indeed not be
>> possible.
>
> Yeah, in practical terms it isnt for most.

I never had a problem. I guess I have an honest face.

>>> Irrelevant to whether force is involved.

>>> Irrelevant to whether force is involved.
>
>> Ultimately, if you don't give them the money they will send goons to your
>> home to seize your possessions (possibly your family) and haul you off to
>> jail.
>
> Nope, they have to get a court to rule that you havent paid your taxes.

If you don't show up for court, the goons come and drag you there. They
probably also charge you for their trouble.

>> All the government has is force
>
> Thats just plain wrong, they can also just take your money from your
> accounts.

Force = "We can do it to you whether you want us to or not." We're not doing
physics here...

>> -- do you think that people would voluntarily give up half their income to
>> pay for things they would pay NOT to have exist?.
>
> Irrelevant to whether force is involved.

Teach your parrot some new phrases.

--
Cheers,
Bev

Rod Speed

Feb 28, 2009, 11:50:17 PM2/28/09

> No.

Yep.

> When I paid quarterlies I took 9 deductions, which resulted in no withholding.

That doesnt happen for many.

> Didn't help with social security or disability,

So those taxes were being deducted from your pay, like I said.

> but that was OK.

>>> but the employer is then on the hook if the employee doesn't cough up the cash at tax time. Accordingly, avoiding
>>> deduction might indeed not be possible.

>> Yeah, in practical terms it isnt for most.

> I never had a problem.

You still had taxes being deducted from your pay.

> I guess I have an honest face.

It was actually the horned helmet.

>>> Ultimately, if you don't give them the money they will send goons to your home to seize your possessions (possibly
>>> your family) and haul you off to jail.

>> Nope, they have to get a court to rule that you havent paid your taxes.

> If you don't show up for court, the goons come and drag you there.

No they wont. They just find against you in your absence.

> They probably also charge you for their trouble.

Still not force.

>>> All the government has is force

>> Thats just plain wrong, they can also just take your money from your accounts.

> Force = "We can do it to you whether you want us to or not."

Thats not force.
http://onelook.com/?w=force

> We're not doing physics here...

Nope, just taxation.

>>> -- do you think that people would voluntarily give up half their
>>> income to pay for things they would pay NOT to have exist?.

>> Irrelevant to whether force is involved.

> Teach your parrot some new phrases.

Its an ex parrot. Its beyond that.

wal...@easystreet.net

Mar 1, 2009, 4:20:05 AM3/1/09

I've bought virtually all my electronics online for the last 5-6
years. The deals are better and most of the time I get free
shipping. I've used CC and BB primarily as a showroom for times when
I wanted to see a product before buying online. Plus, i can find
reviews and ratings at online sites - information that is less biased
than what one gets from salespeople who are under pressure to sell
"protection plans." The selection is better online, as well.

I've dropped by CC 2-3 times since they started closing out
merchandise and haven't seen good deals on anything. Looks like they
marked things way up before they marked them down. And yet there are
people lining up to buy.

MLW

robw

Mar 1, 2009, 11:59:47 AM3/1/09
> Marsha- Hide quoted text -

So they would have still been on commission.

Big difference after that went away.

Strider

Mar 2, 2009, 9:00:58 AM3/2/09
"Bill" <bill...@prodigy.net> wrote in message

> On 2/25/2009 9:32 PM, axiom wrote:
>>
>> Things were "sold out" so often that I started calling to verify that
>> sales items were in stock before going out of my way to visit their
>> store. That turned out to be useless because they'd just lie about it to
>> get me in the door.
>
> I guess that ordering online for in-store pickup was too difficult for you?
> That way, if you got there and they didn't have it, they were supposed to
> give you a $24 gift card (although they often tried to get out of it, often
> by calling you if they didn't have it, but at least you saved a trip if
> they were OOS).
>
> Bill

FYI, CC scrapped its online purchase system the day it announced it was
going out of business. Go to www.circuitcity.com and see what you get. The
only way to see what's available is to go into the store.

SMS

Mar 2, 2009, 5:19:21 PM3/2/09
SMS wrote:

> skul...@live.com wrote:
>> that is why i would never by any big money items at these fradulent
>> sales.
>
> When you see how poor the deals are at CC you want to scream at all the
> idiot buying stuff for more than it costs at a still-in-business retailer.
>
> Maybe it's just morally wrong to allow a sucker to keep his money.

Well I was at Office Depot next to a Circuit City in Sunnyvale, CA so I
went in. At 70% off I did find some stuff I wanted.

I.e., the Kensington K33403US Wall/Auto/Air Notebook Power Adapter was
$42, and it's $120 from Newegg
("http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834997224"), so
it was 65% off NewEgg's price and 70% off MSRP.

The Kensington K33197US Wall/Auto/Air Ultra Portable Notebook Power
Adapter was $45 and it's $125 at NewEgg
("http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834997391"), so
it was 64% off NewEgg's price and 68% off MSRP.

There was very little left in the store.