Bicycling is only an important piece in the puzzle

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, Creator of the Movement of Tantra-Hammock

Aug 6, 2010, 12:29:03 PM8/6/10
The puzzle has many pieces, and bicycling alone won't solve the
problem. These are also important pieces: COMMUNITY, HOMELESSNESS,
TRAFFIC TAMING, GATED COMMUNITIES, DRUGS...

On Aug 5, 8:16 pm, Day Brown <dayhbr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 08/02/2010 07:52 PM, His Highness the TibetanMonkey, Creator of theMovement of Tantra-Hammock wrote:
> > I have a campaign also that puts together two important issues: BIKE
> > LOCALLY, BUY LOCALLY. That should be the bottom line, but the sky is
> > the limit.
>
> > We are just waiting for a signal from above. Or is it coming from the
> > bottom?
>
> The elites want to concentrate power, the bottom wants to disperse it.
>
> For instance, I and others have been posting against the war on drugs
> for over 20 years, and only now is the number online large enuf to start
> to break down and expose the group think of corporate mass media that
> profits off the sensationalism because of the way it builds ratings and
> thereby ad revenues.
>
> But I dunno if we have another 20 years to straighten out the mess made
> by the elites in so many other issues such as your point above on the
> per capita carbon footprint of American life.
>
> And as I'm sure you've seen here, you cant educate anyone; they either
> already see what you do, or are in psychological denial designed by the
> group think of mass media.
>
> Dr, Freud noted how neurotic delusion cannot be dispelled by the
> presentation of the facts. He also commented on the innovation neurotics
> have in explaining to themselves why the think as they do despite the
> facts, and closed saying that it takes trauma to wake a neurotic to reality.
>
> And when a neurotic wakes up, he's angry. Which is why revolutions get
> so violent. The question is whether the middle class unemployment,
> housing foreclosure, bankruptcy and/or income rates will fall enuf to
> stabilize the economy, or will TSHTF; and if so, when.
>
> Is your 'bottom line' a base on which to build, or will the greed &
> corruption of the elites cause the system to fall right thru it? inhttp://kunstler.com/blog/2010/08/skidding-toward-fall.htmlKunstler
> says the latter. Course, he's been selling books for years saying so,
> but he only hasta be right once.
>
> Twards the end of Jared Diamond's "Collapse" he outlines the kind of
> communities that recover fastest from the fall of empire. Major metro
> areas depend too much on complex infrastructure support and wont make
> it. Demagogues and streetgangs of multi-ethnic cities will make war.
>
> Bike locally, buy locally, but also grow food and firewood locally. A
> community that can be entirely supported by bikes and draft animals will
> be far more stable and civilized.
>
> So- do you know of any such? And if not, then what?

Funny I just found out about this community, which may be considered a
extreme solution, but which allows no motorized vehicles...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnHJ50cCIE8

I wouldn't dare to propose such a radical thing, but rethinking the
whole idea of "progress" is in order. Why SUVs outnumber bicycles by
20 to 1 at the local market? Isn't it crazy, stupid and blind? Why our
sprawl keeps eating agricultural land while we import food from Mexico
and China? What will happen when one of those countries goes into
revolution?

I love you choice of "alt.community" in the heading because I have
something to say: WE HAVE KILLED THE COMMUNITY AND CREATED THE GATED
COMMUNITY. All the friendliness of the communities of yesteryear have
been turned into a JUNGLE : BICYCLISTS AND PEDESTRIANS ARE FAIR GAME,
THE HOMELESS HAVE TAKEN OVER OUR BETTER PARKS AND ORNAMENTAL WATER
FOUNTAINS.

And then we wonder why our young turn to drugs. Hey, in this jungle
you better get high above the grinding routine or make money to get
the hell out.

THE WISE TIBETAN MONKEY SAYS

"Horse crap is better than muffler crap"

http://webspawner.com/users/BIKEFORPEACE

mattcaseymatt

Aug 10, 2010, 2:40:28 AM8/10/10
On Aug 6, 10:29 am, "His Highness the TibetanMonkey, Creator of the

You're nuts.

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, Creator of the Movement of Tantra-Hammock & the Stationary Bicycle to burn the calories

Aug 10, 2010, 9:18:38 AM8/10/10

Not as much as the society you seem to defend...

On Aug 10, 2:43 am, boltar2...@boltar.world wrote:
> On Mon, 09 Aug 2010 22:03:16 +0100
>
> Basil Jet <jo...@journeyflow.spamspam.com> wrote:
> >On 2010\08\09 17:22, His Highness the TibetanMonkey, Creator of the
> >Movement of Tantra-Hammock wrote:
>
> >> Some .4% of Americans do compared to some 30% in the Netherlands.
>
> >> Something is missing, right?
>
> >Yeah, all the Americans have to do is level the Rockies and the
> >Appalachians to make America as bike-friendly as the Netherlands.
>
> I don't think anyone blames the americans for using their cars if they
> live miles from nowhere. But you don't need a gas guzzling 5.0 V8 SUV to
> bring the groceries back from the shops. It does seem that some yanks
> few profligate waste of resources as a human right and that is what pisses
> off many people.
>
> B2003

And at the same time they make it nearly a "suicide mission" to go and
get the groceries on your bike.