Today's dumpster find: Mega Shreder.

Gordon

Jan 10, 2010, 10:39:21 PM1/10/10
It's a Staples SPL-XC240D. As the header says, it was
in the dumpster. I fished it out and plugged it in.
It ran just fine. Maybe too fine, it wouldn't turn off.
Well, if it runs...

So I took it apart and cleaned out all the paper scraps
that had worked themselves into the various nooks and
crannies of the machine. Vaccumed out the paper dust.
readjusted the paper sensor. Lubricated it and put it
back together. It works just like new.

For those of you who haven't looked it up yet. This thing
is no trashcan shredder. It will cut 24 sheets, CDs,
and credit cards. It has its own catch bin.

Dan Birchall

Jan 23, 2010, 12:58:34 AM1/23/10

Nice! I have something similar (but I bought it), different brand.
They're very useful.

I'm pondering why someone would throw one away, though. Maybe they
upgraded to something even heavier-duty, or maybe they wanted to be
able to deny having shredded all that incriminating evidence... ;)

--
Oh, wicked, bad, naughty, _evil_ Dan! He is a _naughty_ person...

Michael Black

Jan 23, 2010, 11:54:15 AM1/23/10

He said it wouldn't turn off. For at least some people, that's a fault,
and requires either repair or replacement. They seem to have decided
on the latter path.

Other people would find it perfectly acceptable that they had to
unplug it to turn it off. "It works now, why fuss with it?". Others
wouldn't be afraid to open it up and see if they can fix it, "It works,
so how difficult can it be to find out why it doesn't turn off?".

The original owner felt that buying a new one was an acceptable expense,
while others would do their best to avoid buying a new one.

Michael

Coffee's For Closers

Jan 25, 2010, 2:39:20 AM1/25/10
In article <slrnhll409...@my-286.myhome.westell.com>,
nob...@imaginary-host.danbirchall.com says...

The OP said it was clogged and wouldn't shut off. Plenty of
people cannot imagine opening up a mechanical device to see
what's going on.

--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com/