Frugal Bed

Skip to the first unread message

Beaver...@live.com

15 Jul 2017, 19:59:0115/07/2017
I need a new bed. Or just mattress and box springs.

I have never done this before. I have no idea how to pull this off.

Please help.

John Weiss

15 Jul 2017, 21:14:0115/07/2017
On 7/15/2017 16:58, Beaver...@live.com wrote:
> I need a new bed. Or just mattress and box springs.
>
> I have never done this before. I have no idea how to pull this off.

Go to a local bedding store that has a big sale going on.

NEVER pay full price for mattresses! Last year's closeouts are usually
good deals. New ones only have different fabric designs on the covers.

Spend some time actually lying on some different mattresses, to get a
good feel for them. Pretty or expensive doesn't necessarily translate
to comfortable for YOU.

Buy the mattress, foundation (box spring), and frame at the bedding
store. Shop for headboard (& footboard if you want) separately at
furniture stores.

RJH

16 Jul 2017, 08:14:0416/07/2017
Agree, and to add: I bought a memory foam mattress 10 years' back with a
cheap pine frame - a budget clone (about $/£250 for a double). It still
seems fine and comfy.

My point for those on a budget - might this type of mattress be OK
second hand? So long as it's not obviously soiled or damaged, would a
good clean be OK? I say this as somebody who wouldn't normally buy a
second hand mattress out of choice, unless the provenance was very well
known . . .

--
Cheers, Rob

Michael Black

16 Jul 2017, 10:19:4016/07/2017
What about bed bugs, which seem to be an issue in recent years (again)?

I think the real issue is that mattresses are so big. You can wash
clothes, you can wash pillows, but mattresses and stuffed chairs and sofas
won't go in a washing machine. So it gets complicated and likely means
sending to a professional, which will cost money (and negate the low cost
of the found item).

Michael

John Weiss

16 Jul 2017, 15:54:2516/07/2017
On 7/16/2017 05:13, RJH wrote:

> Agree, and to add: I bought a memory foam mattress 10 years' back with a
> cheap pine frame - a budget clone (about $/£250 for a double). It still
> seems fine and comfy.
>
> My point for those on a budget - might this type of mattress be OK
> second hand? So long as it's not obviously soiled or damaged, would a
> good clean be OK? I say this as somebody who wouldn't normally buy a
> second hand mattress out of choice, unless the provenance was very well
> known . . .

The frame doesn't need to be fancy. You don't even need one if you want
your bed on the floor or a platform, so building your own is definitely
an option.

As for used mattresses, I think the only way I would buy one would be
from someone who resells otherwise-new mattresses returned for exchange
during a tryout period. I don't know where you might find them, but
your local mattress store may tell you.

21bla...@gmail.com

16 Jul 2017, 22:38:0616/07/2017
i don't think i would chance a used mattress

you/we spend at least 25% of our life on a mattress,
so i would consider finding a good mattress you really think you like,
and that means trying out/lying on at least 5-10

cost shouldn't be the most important thing here, is what i'm saying

marc

Michael Black

17 Jul 2017, 14:50:1217/07/2017
That's true, the issue of cleanliness would stop me before I gave thought
to the fact that the matress may be lumpy or whatever.

They do say, and maybe it wsa just for children's shoes, that buying used
shoes is not so good, since they may have wear on them (in a specific way
because people walk differently). I know my friend Helen, who was
homeless, said it was hard to get good shoes. You can live with clothes
that are the wrong size, but the wrong size shoes will either pinch your
feet, or cause blisters as they flop around. So finding used shoes that
are both the right size and in good shape were a problem.

Michael

The Real Bev

17 Jul 2017, 15:40:3817/07/2017
On 07/17/2017 11:51 AM, Michael Black wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Jul 2017, 21bla...@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> i don't think i would chance a used mattress
>>
>> you/we spend at least 25% of our life on a mattress,
>> so i would consider finding a good mattress you really think you like,
>> and that means trying out/lying on at least 5-10
>>
>> cost shouldn't be the most important thing here, is what i'm saying
>>
>> marc
>>
> That's true, the issue of cleanliness would stop me before I gave thought
> to the fact that the matress may be lumpy or whatever.

I don't see how it's possible to move a memory foam mattress after it's
expanded. Nothing to grab and heavy as hell.

> They do say, and maybe it wsa just for children's shoes, that buying used
> shoes is not so good, since they may have wear on them (in a specific way
> because people walk differently). I know my friend Helen, who was
> homeless, said it was hard to get good shoes. You can live with clothes
> that are the wrong size, but the wrong size shoes will either pinch your
> feet, or cause blisters as they flop around. So finding used shoes that
> are both the right size and in good shape were a problem.

I can only wear running shoes now, and every once in a while I find a
yard seller who is a serious runner and gets new shoes every month or so
-- she put the purchase date on each pair. $1. SCORE! I'm willing to
buy pretty much anything used, but it depends on how I evaluate the
seller. There are people from whom I wouldn't even buy a shovel!

--
Cheers, Bev
Teamwork: A bunch of people running around doing what I tell them.

Bob F

17 Jul 2017, 16:51:1117/07/2017
On 7/17/2017 12:40 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
> On 07/17/2017 11:51 AM, Michael Black wrote:
>> On Sun, 16 Jul 2017, 21bla...@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>>> i don't think i would chance a used mattress
>>>
>>> you/we spend at least 25% of our life on a mattress,
>>> so i would consider finding a good mattress you really think you like,
>>> and that means trying out/lying on at least 5-10
>>>
>>> cost shouldn't be the most important thing here, is what i'm saying
>>>
>>> marc
>>>
>> That's true, the issue of cleanliness would stop me before I gave thought
>> to the fact that the matress may be lumpy or whatever.
>
> I don't see how it's possible to move a memory foam mattress after it's
> expanded. Nothing to grab and heavy as hell.

Wrap it in a tarp?

Roll it up and tie it. then carry by the tie ropes?

Either and carry it on a homebrew stretcher?

wilm...@gmail.com

18 Jul 2017, 15:12:3418/07/2017
Amazon has cheap mattresses.
Hotels and motels go out of business, hotel liquidation is a tea business.
Estate sales- boo...

I don't like the idea of used mattresses, that's why I insist on a brand new mattress whenever I stay at a hotel.

I also avoid used dentures, socks and underwear. Though I hear rock stars insist on not bothering to wash underwear, insisting on a brand new pair each morning. Would I wear famous underwear gently used? I don't know.

John Weiss

18 Jul 2017, 15:18:4418/07/2017
On 7/18/2017 12:12, wilm...@gmail.com wrote:

> I hear rock stars insist on not bothering to wash underwear, insisting on a brand new pair each morning. Would I wear famous underwear gently used?
What's special about "famous" underwear, that you would even consider it?

Dennis

18 Jul 2017, 16:19:0418/07/2017
On Mon, 17 Jul 2017 12:40:27 -0700, The Real Bev
<bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>I don't see how it's possible to move a memory foam mattress after it's
>expanded. Nothing to grab and heavy as hell.

You could hire a crew to come in with a chipper.

> I'm willing to
>buy pretty much anything used, but it depends on how I evaluate the
>seller. There are people from whom I wouldn't even buy a shovel!

You talking about that guy five doors down with all the incontinent
St. Bernards?

Dennis (evil)

Dennis

18 Jul 2017, 16:23:5918/07/2017
There should be removal instructions on the back of the condom box.

Even if you screw up you shouldn't need a new mattress, just a wet
washcloth.

hchi...@hotmail.com

19 Jul 2017, 11:12:4119/07/2017
On Tue, 18 Jul 2017 13:23:56 -0700, Dennis <dg...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 15 Jul 2017 16:58:57 -0700 (PDT), Beaver...@live.com wrote:
>
>>I need a new bed. Or just mattress and box springs.
>>
>>I have never done this before. I have no idea how to pull this off.
>>
>>Please help.
>
>There should be removal instructions on the back of the condom box.
>
>Even if you screw up you shouldn't need a new mattress, just a wet
>washcloth.
>
>Dennis (evil)

Beat me to it, except someone who has never pulled one off before needs
instruction on one-handed technique, two-hand, crossover, stroke, bore, and tip,
vapo-rub vs. vaseline, and how to aim. Youngsters in particular need to aim
high to meet expectations..

hchi...@hotmail.com

19 Jul 2017, 11:16:2819/07/2017
More room for Mr. Happy?

The Real Bev

19 Jul 2017, 13:47:3019/07/2017
On 07/18/2017 01:19 PM, Dennis wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Jul 2017 12:40:27 -0700, The Real Bev
> <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I don't see how it's possible to move a memory foam mattress after it's
>>expanded. Nothing to grab and heavy as hell.
>
> You could hire a crew to come in with a chipper.

They could start at the front door and work inwards. Good idea.

>> I'm willing to
>>buy pretty much anything used, but it depends on how I evaluate the
>>seller. There are people from whom I wouldn't even buy a shovel!
>
> You talking about that guy five doors down with all the incontinent
> St. Bernards?

You know that guy too?

--
Cheers, Bev
"Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the things that I cannot change,