No-frills b/w copier for copying checks and bills

gggg...@gmail.com

Oct 10, 2017, 12:48:01 AM10/10/17
Any recommendations?

Nosmo King

Oct 10, 2017, 8:13:48 AM10/10/17
gggg...@gmail.com wrote:

>Any recommendations?

Best bet is to buy a cheap All-In-One printer for $30 or less.

catalpa

Oct 10, 2017, 8:58:28 PM10/10/17

<gggg...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Any recommendations?

Get a scanner from someone who doesn't use it and then print the scans on
your printer.

Or better yet, just scan the items and save the digital copy. Only print
when a paper copy is needed.

Bob F

Oct 10, 2017, 10:03:18 PM10/10/17
On 10/9/2017 9:47 PM, gggg...@gmail.com wrote:
> Any recommendations?

Get a old used laser all-in-one printer. Lasers cost way less than any
inkjet per page. Simple B&W one should handle what you need.

RJH

Oct 11, 2017, 5:49:18 AM10/11/17
On 10/10/2017 05:47, gggg...@gmail.com wrote:
> Any recommendations?

I've used a Samsung SCX 4300 laser all-in-one for some years. Works fine
and reliably. I replaced the starter toner supplied with a generic type
about 3 years ago - still going.

Connected via USB to Mac and Windows machines, quite noisy when it's
printing, and a very high standby electricity consumption (20W IIRC).

All of that said, I now tend to just take a photo with my phone and keep
the electronic copy.

--
Cheers, Rob

BigDog811

Oct 11, 2017, 5:32:42 PM10/11/17
On Tuesday, October 10, 2017 at 12:48:01 AM UTC-4, gggg...@gmail.com wrote:
> Any recommendations?

Generally speaking, copies of bills can be downloaded by logging onto your account with the company that issued them. Images of cleared checks can be downloaded from the bank they're drawn on. Just keep the digital files, as catalpa suggests. No reason to waste all the paper and ink/toner unless an issue arises.

ItsJoan NotJoann

Oct 11, 2017, 5:48:42 PM10/11/17
On Wednesday, October 11, 2017 at 4:32:42 PM UTC-5, BigDog811 wrote:

> Generally speaking, copies of bills can be downloaded by logging onto your account with the company that issued them. Images of cleared checks can be downloaded from the bank they're drawn on. Just keep the digital files, as catalpa suggests. No reason to waste all the paper and ink/toner unless an issue arises.

Best information yet from both you and catalpa. He'll probably will
never need the paper copy but he'll have it just in case.

John Weiss

Oct 11, 2017, 5:54:45 PM10/11/17
Any good all-in-one scanner will have PDF software included, so you can
"print" directly to PDF without using paper. If not, you can download
PDF Creator from pdfforge.org. It is free (decline the add-ons), and
installs as a printer driver, so you can 'print' to PDF anything you can
print to paper.

John Weiss

Oct 11, 2017, 5:56:42 PM10/11/17
On Tuesday, October 10, 2017 at 12:48:01 AM UTC-4, gggg...@gmail.com wrote:
> Any recommendations?

I have a Brother all-in-one printer/scanner. My J6920DW is near the
upper end of their price range, but they have other very good units at
reasonable prices. Costco sells them, if you are a member.

The Real Bev

Oct 11, 2017, 6:57:02 PM10/11/17
I've had the cheapest Brother laser printer since 2009 and it's worked
flawlessly. Toner carts are ~$12 (ebay) and I just put in the second
full one. I would assume that their cheap 3-in-one would be just as
reliable.

Save your own copies (files or paper) of things that might be important
to you in ten years -- you probably can't download bills etc. for more
than a few years.

--
Cheers, Bev
"If you're crazy, you better find a way to make money off it.

John Weiss

Oct 11, 2017, 7:59:20 PM10/11/17
On 10/11/2017 15:56, The Real Bev wrote:
>>> Any recommendations?
>>
>> I have a Brother all-in-one printer/scanner.  My J6920DW is near the
>> upper end of their price range, but they have other very good units at
>> reasonable prices.  Costco sells them, if you are a member.
>
> I've had the cheapest Brother laser printer since 2009 and it's worked
> flawlessly.  Toner carts are ~$12 (ebay) and I just put in the second
> full one.  I would assume that their cheap 3-in-one would be just as
> reliable.

My laser printer is also a Brother (HL-5370DW). It also was a more
expensive one (but still <$200 7 years ago), because I need the
automatic duplexing. I've used 2 toner carts in 7 years.

The Real Bev

Oct 11, 2017, 11:42:58 PM10/11/17
Apparently the new cheapest ones are wireless and do auto duplexing.
Brother also gives you a linux driver! So does Samsung, but Canon
refuses to provide linux assistance for any of its products. I have a
nice Canon scanner, but I was really annoyed to find out that I HAD to
use windows; SANE provides some support, but not enough.

--
Cheers, Bev
"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity