Modern coal stoves that are convenient and clean?

1 view

m...@privacy.net

Feb 16, 2009, 7:12:59 PM2/16/09
Curious if it is still possible to heat say a small
cabin or A-frame home with a coal stove

And if there exists any modern hi-tech stoves that are
clean and convenient?

Rod Speed

Feb 16, 2009, 7:17:58 PM2/16/09
m...@privacy.net wrote:

> Curious if it is still possible to heat say a small
> cabin or A-frame home with a coal stove

Yes. You might well find the coal a bit hard to come by tho.

> And if there exists any modern hi-tech stoves that are clean and convenient?

Yes. Some even burn stuff like corn which I consider to be a
complete and utter environmental obscenity, but they are available.

Jeff

Feb 16, 2009, 8:23:48 PM2/16/09
m...@privacy.net wrote:
> Curious if it is still possible to heat say a small
> cabin or A-frame home with a coal stove

I would think so. I have a small coal stove (inner cast iron with
outer shell of enamel, looks like a largish standalone gas heater, maybe
2 1/2' tall x 2' x 18") that has heated a small house with wood scraps.
Coal would have been easier and the energy content of coal is higher.

Most of the old fireplaces were meant for burning coal, not wood. My
house, has an unused whole house coal furnace, I bet that was nasty
feeding it.

> And if there exists any modern hi-tech stoves that are
> clean and convenient?

I would think that a gasification stove would be very doable and
would have very high combustion efficiency. Don't know, though. You
could probably convert a rocket stove to such purposes. Can't be much to
build one, and you control the heat with the fan speed.

I suppose in some parts of the country there is enough coal that
falls of the coal trains to give you free heat. What is your coal cost?

Jeff

m...@privacy.net

Feb 16, 2009, 10:47:07 PM2/16/09
Jeff <dont_...@all.uk> wrote:

> I suppose in some parts of the country there is enough coal that
>falls of the coal trains to give you free heat. What is your coal cost?

Falls off trains here locally!

Jeff

Feb 16, 2009, 11:21:47 PM2/16/09

Now, that's frugal! I like it!

I've heated with scavenged wood, that while frugal, is still a lot of
work!

http://hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/choose_coal/

Good luck!

Jeff

James

Feb 17, 2009, 9:25:54 AM2/17/09
On Feb 16, 11:21 pm, Jeff <dont_bug...@all.uk> wrote:
> m...@privacy.net wrote:

> > Jeff <dont_bug...@all.uk> wrote:
>
> >> I suppose in some parts of the country there is enough coal that
> >> falls of the coal trains to give you free heat. What is your coal cost?
>
> > Falls off trains here locally!
>
>   Now, that's frugal! I like it!
>
>    I've heated with scavenged wood, that while frugal, is still a lot of
> work!

Depending how far you have to go to get scavenged wood it may not be
frugal. I do it for the exercise chopping wood. Don't know if I'm
getting more BTU's than the natural gas I could have had instead of
gasoline to get the wood.

Jeff

Feb 17, 2009, 10:00:37 AM2/17/09
James wrote:
> On Feb 16, 11:21 pm, Jeff <dont_bug...@all.uk> wrote:
>> m...@privacy.net wrote:
>>> Falls off trains here locally!
>> Now, that's frugal! I like it!
>>
>> I've heated with scavenged wood, that while frugal, is still a lot of
>> work!
>>

> Depending how far you have to go to get scavenged wood it may not be
> frugal.

Usually within a block. There's little demand for fallen trees in the
city!

I do it for the exercise chopping wood.

You know what they, say, firewood warms you twice. First when you chop it!

Don't know if I'm
> getting more BTU's than the natural gas I could have had instead of
> gasoline to get the wood.

I've got a cord and a half just sitting in reserve, I prefer to heat
otherwise. I'm not there yet, but my high electric bill (no gas) is
$85.00, about half of that is just running the house and the rest is
supplemental heat (space heaters).

As you have pointed out, wood is not necessarily frugal.

Now free coal, that's frugal! Just bag it up and take it home. Might
be a lot of bagging though.

Jeff

m...@privacy.net

Feb 17, 2009, 11:10:23 AM2/17/09
Jeff <dont_...@all.uk> wrote:

>> Falls off trains here locally!
>

> Now, that's frugal! I like it!

Yes but is it safe?

That's what you need to look at as coal produces very
harmful soot and such and you sure don't want any of
that inside your home and breathing it in

Hence the question abt modern hi-tech coal stoves that
are clean

Jeff

Feb 17, 2009, 1:48:24 PM2/17/09
m...@privacy.net wrote:
> Jeff <dont_...@all.uk> wrote:
>
>>> Falls off trains here locally!
>>
>> Now, that's frugal! I like it!
>
> Yes but is it safe?

I don't see any real environmental problems that are different than
those with wood stoves. You want a good quality air tight stove. Some
have catalysts, some have some kind of after burner. But in general, all
your exhaust gas is going up the flue and these devices are designed to
clean up the outside air, not the inside. Keep the door shut. Make sure
your flue is in good shape and drafting properly.

http://www.blaschakcoal.com/html/stoves.htm

Coal stoves should be smaller than a wood stove for the same BTU, and
you may find hoppers or feeders and some way to ignite the coal as it
doesn't start as easily.

Your biggest issue is going to be getting a stove that takes the coal
that you find, most of the modern stoves are running on some kind of
pelletized fuel.

Jeff