Cheap things to do with your kids

1 view

OldRoads

Jan 12, 2009, 8:59:55 AM1/12/09
You don't need to shell out big bucks taking your kids to an amusement
park or water park, etc.
There are plenty of other free things to do:

- Take a hike
- Ride your bicycles on the local Rail Trail http://www.trails.com/activities.aspx?area=12399
- Go fishing
- Go to the beach
- Go camping

Other ideas??

Vin - Menotomy Vintage Bicycles
http://OldRoads.com

John A. Weeks III

Jan 12, 2009, 9:13:01 AM1/12/09
In article
<28296588-94c1-47f8...@o40g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>,
OldRoads <oldr...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> You don't need to shell out big bucks taking your kids to an amusement
> park or water park, etc.
> There are plenty of other free things to do:
>
> - Take a hike
> - Ride your bicycles on the local Rail Trail
> http://www.trails.com/activities.aspx?area=12399
> - Go fishing
> - Go to the beach
> - Go camping
>
> Other ideas??

Look for the cheap days at your local cultural attractions.
For example, when I lived in Chicago, one day of the week
(was it Tuesday or Thrusday?) the zoos and all the major
museums were free.

-john-

John A. Weeks III           612-720-2854            jo...@johnweeks.com
Newave Communications                         http://www.johnweeks.com

George

Jan 12, 2009, 9:33:23 AM1/12/09
Use this to locate rail trails without a subscription fee as required in
the other site:

http://www.traillink.com/

Stray Dog

Jan 12, 2009, 12:21:37 PM1/12/09

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009, OldRoads wrote:

> Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 05:59:55 -0800 (PST)
> From: OldRoads <oldr...@hotmail.com>
> Newsgroups: misc.consumers.frugal-living
> Subject: Cheap things to do with your kids

> You don't need to shell out big bucks taking your kids to an amusement
> park or water park, etc.
> There are plenty of other free things to do:
>
> - Take a hike
> - Ride your bicycles on the local Rail Trail http://www.trails.com/activities.aspx?area=12399
> - Go fishing
> - Go to the beach
> - Go camping
>
> Other ideas??

Your local public library should be free. Read anything there, or borrow
whatever can be borrowed, check out the bulletin boards, and free
brochures on all kinds of things, activities.

Many have booksales, where you can buy "discards" and donated books,
usually for a buck each.

Check out book sales (www.booksalefinder.com, and others) for very cheap
used books.

Visit thrift stores (Salvation Army, Goodwill, etc). Not much techie
stuff, but clothes are cheap, books there are cheap, too.

There are also books to help you live cheap: "Tightwad Gazette" for
example, and also books on many things to do that cost little or zero.

I love to read books. I concentrate on non-fiction, where I am learning
something -- usually -- practical.

Throw out the TV. It just makes zombies out of your brain.

Try to write poetry. You might get better at it, the more you try.

In ancient times, from ancient history books, people did sing songs, too,
for entertainment.

asiand...@gmail.com

Jan 13, 2009, 1:29:37 AM1/13/09
These inexpensive ideas are sure to get your kids creative juices
flowing! The kids will love them because it gives them something
productive to do and mom or dad will love them because they’re easy
and cheap!

1. Fly a kite at a local park. Kites can usually be found at any local
dollar store.
2. Blow bubbles. Now how cheap are bubbles, like $.50 a bottle?! Kids
can have contests to see who can make the most or the biggest bubble.
3. Make an “I love You” card for someone. Or is someone’s birthday
coming up? Let the kids be creative and make a friend or relative a
card from the heart.
4. Paint rocks. You can find rocks anywhere. Let the kids be creative
with some paint, markers, ribbons, beads and glue.
5. Catch fireflies, ants, bugs or butterflies. Summer nights are
perfect for catching fireflies and they are so neat as a nightlight.
6. Put together a puzzle. These always keep kids entertained and busy.
7. Make paper airplanes. Let the kids make their own, decorate them
and then fly them.
8. Frame their hands and feet! Have your kids put their hand prints
and feet prints on paper and then frame them in an inexpensive frame.
This is something that you will love down the road when the kids are
grown.

AsianDoll

Since its my school semester break I have been using my free time
playing games like <a href=http://www.gamestotal.com> http://www.gamestotal.com
href=http://3700ad.gamestotal.com> http://3700ad.gamestotal.com </a>

Nicik Name

Jan 13, 2009, 7:02:24 PM1/13/09

"OldRoads" <oldr...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> You don't need to shell out big bucks taking your kids to an amusement
> park or water park, etc.
> There are plenty of other free things to do:
>
> - Take a hike
> - Ride your bicycles on the local Rail Trail
> http://www.trails.com/activities.aspx?area=12399
> - Go fishing
> - Go to the beach
> - Go camping
>
> Other ideas??
dont have any

Silfax

Jan 13, 2009, 7:35:30 PM1/13/09
On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 05:59:55 -0800, OldRoads regurgitated the following

> Other ideas??

Check out your local college campus, there is usually some free
entertainment available there.

--
Silfax

Message has been deleted

leno...@yahoo.com

Jan 14, 2009, 3:47:01 PM1/14/09
On Jan 12, 8:59 am, OldRoads <oldro...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Other ideas??

Old post of mine:

I thought I'd post this because I've forgotten how to play most kids'
games that don't involve toys, and one hears about some of these only
in books such as the "Little House" series and "Pippi
Longstocking." (Namely, Run Sheep Run and Drop the Handkerchief,
which, I found, is similar to Duck Duck Goose.) While I remember Red
Rover, Ali Baba, Marco Polo, Duck Duck Goose and maybe a few others,
most of these I don't know - and I didn't know anything about musical
chairs until my teens!

http://www.gameskidsplay.net/games/xtra_games.htm

Enjoy it!

Lenona.

gerri...@gmail.com

Jan 14, 2009, 7:26:27 PM1/14/09
I found lots of ideas for free or very cheap family fun activities,
they change every month, at Families Online Magazine,
http://www.familiesonlinemagazine.com - see the Family Fun and Kid Fun
Crafts - very cute crafts for wintertime when we are all getting cabin
fever!

On Jan 12, 8:59 am, OldRoads <oldro...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> You don't need to shell out big bucks taking your kids to an amusement
> park or water park, etc.
> There are plenty of other free things to do:
>
> - Take a hike

> - Ride your bicycles on the local Rail Trailhttp://www.trails.com/activities.aspx?area=12399

SMS

Jan 14, 2009, 7:44:22 PM1/14/09

Thanks for that link. I can't believe how expensive trails.com is for
information that is available free from other web sources.

OldRoads

Jan 15, 2009, 8:51:30 AM1/15/09
On Jan 14, 7:44 pm, SMS <scharf.ste...@geemail.com> wrote:
> George wrote:
> >OldRoadswrote:
> information that is available free from other web sources.- Hide quoted text -

Wow, I didn't realize the trails.com link charged anything. I guess I
was thinking of was traillink.com.
Not too frugal of me, eh?

To combine a couple suggestions above, often you local library has
free passes to local museums.

Ron

Jan 28, 2009, 12:05:38 PM1/28/09
On Jan 12, 9:59 am, OldRoads <oldro...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> You don't need to shell out big bucks taking yourkidsto an amusement

> park or water park, etc.
> There are plenty of other free things to do:
>
> - Take a hike
> - Ride your bicycles on the local Rail Trailhttp://www.trails.com/activities.aspx?area=12399

> - Go fishing
> - Go to the beach
> - Go camping
>
> Other ideas??
>
> Vin - Menotomy Vintage Bicycleshttp://OldRoads.com

How about just sit on the porch with your kids and tell them stories.
I did this recently with my grandson, making up stories about real-
life situations like jealousy, dishonesty, the merits of hard work,
etc. I had his attention for about an hour, and I know he enjoyed it
and also benefitted from it. Dont worry about your lack of
imagination. Just start by saying, for example, "There were once two
brothers, one very lazy and the other very hard working.............."
The rest will follow! Try it!

Ron

Message has been deleted

Yuji Akaba

Mar 7, 2009, 9:55:49 AM3/7/09
I would like to introduce to you a new facebook application, "PeKay’s
Little Author" where anybody can create and tell their original
stories and messages through beautifully illustrated picture
storybook, on-line or in print. It’s amazingly easy and intuitive—
much easier than crayon and paper, but, just as warm and creative.

Here are couple of intro video's to give you a feel for the
application.

PeKay’s Little Author Story
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wI8DjJdvle0

It's this simple to make a one-of-a-kind storybook or greeting card.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Is22TT0xs_k

You can share the original storybook with people around the world in
the Storybook Exhibit, share just among friends, or E-mail a link to
your on-line storybook for someone special.

Press the print button and follow simple Origami-like instructions for
a bounded version. In this digital world we live in, receiving a
beautiful hand-made original picture storybook is truly something
special. The best part is having fun together and watching a child
glow in pride of their accomplishment. Grown-up can have fun telling
their story too.

For Narrated guide to the software features:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkXCTepMVtc

Pioneering design and engineering effort went into making “PeKay’s
Little Author” a fun and simple tool to deliver something very special
for children and parents around the world, and the kid in us all.

Here’s the Link to facebook application
http://www.new.facebook.com/apps/application.php?id=47660975372