Can you recommend a DVR for over the air recording?

OhioGuy

Jan 23, 2009, 7:26:43 AM1/23/09
We recently got one of those digital tuners so that our TV would
still be able to receive channels after the change next month. It works
great, and since it has a timer, it will switch to whatever channel we
want at any time we want. We are able to still use our VCR with it.

However, I think within a few months, for simplicity, we would like
to switch over to using a DVR. Here is what I'm looking for:

1) Easy to use menu - works with over the air ATSC

2) upgradeable - if I want to pop in a larger SATA drive to upgrade it,
I can

3) mpeg 4/h.264 compression

4) USB Port - so I can export recorded files if I want to watch them
elsewhere

Does anything like this even exist? I've seen some DVD burning
recorders at the stores, but haven't really seen a good replacement for
a VCR yet. I won't consider anything that has a subscription fee.
(that's partly why I avoid cable in the first place, plus most things on
cable are available free on DVD from the library within a year)

Thanks!

Dave Garland

Jan 23, 2009, 11:57:24 AM1/23/09
OhioGuy wrote:

> Does anything like this even exist?

Google "MythTV". It might have to be a do-it-yourself project,
though, I don't know if anyone is selling them commercially. (I don't
own a TV myself, so it's all theoretical to me.)

Dave

Seerialmom

Jan 23, 2009, 11:56:50 AM1/23/09

You'd probably get better feedback on this question at an A/V forum or
at ePinions.com . Off the top of my head though, I think you could
probably just make one yourself with a PC equipped with a HDTV tuner.

Rod Speed

Jan 23, 2009, 3:05:44 PM1/23/09

I built one myself using what used to be the main PC at one time.

Much more flexible than anything buyable.

You do have to know what you are doing tho.

George

Jan 23, 2009, 5:57:22 PM1/23/09

I built and have been using one for quite some time. I have also built
additional ones for friends. Works great and has a very active community .

Bob F

Jan 25, 2009, 2:03:13 PM1/25/09

"OhioGuy" <no...@none.net> wrote in message news:glcd37$1fm0$1...@news.ett.com.ua...

There are many PC based TV tuners available, and several options for software to
run them. Most come with their own software, or PVR programs like BeyondTV,
MythTV, GP-PVR, and SageTV can handle multiple brands of tuners for multiple
channel recordings. You will need a good video card to handle output of HD
content to your TV. You can add as big of a harddrive as you want for storage
space.

Some programs, like BeyondTV, mark commercials for instant bypassing, though
they are not 100% accurate.

Try googleing "PC PVR", "PC DVR", etc.

I just found this by doing so. Even Yahoo ihas an offering.
http://sites.mobile.yahoo.com/go/tv/index

hal...@aol.com

Jan 25, 2009, 8:16:53 PM1/25/09
On Jan 25, 2:03�pm, "Bob F" <bobnos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> "OhioGuy" <n...@none.net> wrote in messagenews:glcd37$1fm0$1...@news.ett.com.ua...
> I just found this by doing so. Even Yahoo ihas an offering.http://sites.mobile.yahoo.com/go/tv/index- Hide quoted text -

http://www.dtvpal.com/

Simple to setup and easy to use
Amazing picture and sound quality
Record up to 150 hours of your favorite shows
Pause any show - even live TV - for up to 60 minutes
Skip recorded commercials with exclusive 30-second skip button
Create instant replay with 10-second skip back
Dual tuner allows you to:
Watch one live show while you record another
Record two live shows while you watch a previously recorded show
Available downloads keep your DTVPal DVR up-to-date

New TIVOS will do this and more, but have a monthly guide charge, of
about 14 bucks a month:( or $400 lifetime

the only limitation is the guide is time based like a VCR record
channel 4 between 8 pm and 9 pm.

name based guides like TIVO can detect a show changing time or day.

the dtvpal will record 2 shows at the same time. thats really
useful.:)

incidently people have already upgraded the hard drives for larger
storage time

hal...@aol.com

Jan 25, 2009, 8:18:38 PM1/25/09
> > I just found this by doing so. Even Yahoo ihas an offering.http://sites.mobile.yahoo.com/go/tv/index-Hide quoted text -

> http://www.dtvpal.com/
>
> Simple to setup and easy to use
> Amazing picture and sound quality
> Record up to 150 hours of your favorite shows
> Pause any show - even live TV - for up to 60 minutes
> Skip recorded commercials with exclusive 30-second skip button
> Create instant replay with 10-second skip back
> Dual tuner allows you to:
> � � Watch one live show while you record another
> � � Record two live shows while you watch a previously recorded show
> Available downloads keep your DTVPal DVR up-to-date
>
> New TIVOS will do this and more, but have a monthly guide charge, of
> about 14 bucks a month:( or $400 lifetime
>
> the only limitation is the guide is time based like a VCR record
> channel 4 between 8 pm and 9 pm.
>
> name based guides like TIVO can detect a show changing time or day.
>
> the dtvpal will record 2 shows at the same time. thats really
> useful.:)
>
> incidently people have already upgraded the hard drives for larger
> storage time- Hide quoted text -

see the dtvpal DVR selection!

m...@privacy.net

Jan 26, 2009, 12:58:36 PM1/26/09
"hal...@aol.com" <hal...@aol.com> wrote:

>http://www.dtvpal.com/
>

>Simple to setup and easy to use
>Amazing picture and sound quality

Can you use the above for off air TV ONLY?

I only have TV antenna.... nothing else

Brian Elfert

Jan 26, 2009, 1:51:23 PM1/26/09
m...@privacy.net writes:

>"hal...@aol.com" <hal...@aol.com> wrote:

>>http://www.dtvpal.com/
>>

>>Simple to setup and easy to use
>>Amazing picture and sound quality

>Can you use the above for off air TV ONLY?

Yes, it can be used with an antenna. In fact, I don't think it can be
used for cable TV unless I missed something.

I would seriously consider this if it did analog cable TV.

Bob F

Feb 9, 2009, 8:10:00 PM2/9/09
hal...@aol.com wrote:

> On Jan 25, 2:03?pm, "Bob F" <bobnos...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> "OhioGuy" <n...@none.net> wrote in
>> messagenews:glcd37$1fm0$1...@news.ett.com.ua...
>>> ? We recently got one of those digital tuners so that our TV would
>>> still be able to receive channels after the change next month. ?It

>>> works great, and since it has a timer, it will switch to whatever
>>> channel we want at any time we want. ?We are able to still use our
>>> VCR with it.
>>
>>> ? However, I think within a few months, for simplicity, we would
>>> like to switch over to using a DVR. ?Here is what I'm looking for:

>>> 1) Easy to use menu - works with over the air ATSC
>>
>>> 2) upgradeable - if I want to pop in a larger SATA drive to upgrade
>>> it, I can
>>
>>> 3) mpeg 4/h.264 compression
>>
>>> 4) USB Port - so I can export recorded files if I want to watch
>>> them elsewhere
>>
>>> ? Does anything like this even exist? ?I've seen some DVD burning

>>> recorders at the stores, but haven't really seen a good replacement
>>> for a VCR yet. ?I won't consider anything that has a subscription

The TV tuner card in your computer will do the same for lot less. Most include
software with TV guide type easy program selection. The BeyondTV program
actually marks the commercial breaks (Maybe 80% accurate) so that you can
one-click past many commercial breaks.