Recommended non-slip shoes

1 view

noel888

Feb 5, 2009, 9:44:56 AM2/5/09
This post is directed to those who live with snowy winters who may
have more experience than others..but of course, all I welcomed to
chip in if they care to. My 80 year old uncle, slipped on black ice
here in the east as he was walking to church. Miraculously, nothing
was broken, but he did feel the effects a few days later. I've been on
line searching for such shoes and there are such a wide variety
available..from 'lite' to heavy duty...for recreational to sport
types..from $14 dollars to 149 which makes it all the more confusing.
Also, some 'cleats' wear out and need to be replaced...any suggestions
please?

albu...@mailinator.com

Feb 5, 2009, 10:40:20 AM2/5/09

I run one to two hours per day 350 days a year or more. All winter
long we contend with snow and black ice. What I do on black ice days
is use shoes that I have screwed 1/4" hex screws in from the bottom. I
use 3-4 around the heel and up to five in the forefoot in sort of a
penta-star formation. The heel can take screws of 3/4" length with no
problem while the forefoot screws need to be 1/2" or shorter to
prevent feeling them inside. I use the blunt ended screws rather than
pointed. Sometimes a predrilled hole is needed to start the screw.
This really works and the screws would last most of the season when
used for walking short distances. My brother is partly disabled and
this is a must for him.

rtan...@yahoo.com

Feb 5, 2009, 10:47:29 AM2/5/09

albu...@mailinator.com

Feb 5, 2009, 12:38:05 PM2/5/09
On Feb 5, 10:47 am, "rtand...@yahoo.com" <rtand...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___24091
>
> Others like this are available.

That looks good, and pretty cheap too. I'd try a pair if I can see
them in the store first. I believe they would be suitable for walking
as the OP intended. I'd rip them off very quickly trying to run on
them because I have to switch back and forth from dry to ice so often.
I'll be checking the store.

m...@privacy.net

Feb 5, 2009, 4:41:00 PM2/5/09
noel888 <harri...@aol.com> wrote:

Here is what I did with an older pair off boots

http://www.skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm

Seriously ... this works as well or better than
anything on the market

m...@privacy.net

Feb 5, 2009, 4:41:55 PM2/5/09
"rtan...@yahoo.com" <rtan...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___24091
>
>Others like this are available.

Those things are crap..... they just don't last and
will come apart!

Screw shoes work best!

noel888

Feb 5, 2009, 6:17:24 PM2/5/09
On Feb 5, 4:41 pm, m...@privacy.net wrote:

> "rtand...@yahoo.com" <rtand...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___24091
>
> >Others like this are available.
>
> Those things are crap..... they just don't last and
> will come apart!
>
> Screw shoes work best!

Screw shoes work best!>>>

where can I find screw shoes?

Woody

Feb 5, 2009, 6:44:02 PM2/5/09

"noel888" <harri...@aol.com> wrote in message

Screw shoes work best!>>>

More importantly, they work best for _what_???

Woody

m...@privacy.net

Feb 5, 2009, 7:00:48 PM2/5/09
noel888 <harri...@aol.com> wrote:

>where can I find screw shoes?

You make them!

see previous link

m...@privacy.net

Feb 5, 2009, 7:01:19 PM2/5/09
"Woody" <em...@munged.com> wrote:

>More importantly, they work best for _what_???

http://www.skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm

Woody

Feb 5, 2009, 7:16:42 PM2/5/09

<m...@privacy.net> wrote in message

> "Woody" <em...@munged.com> wrote:
>
>>More importantly, they work best for _what_???
>
> http://www.skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm

Thanks for the education. The phrase "screwing shoes" had my mind on a
different train of thought. :-D

Woody

Rod Speed

Feb 5, 2009, 7:21:40 PM2/5/09

Screw that!!!

albu...@mailinator.com

Feb 5, 2009, 7:44:43 PM2/5/09
On Feb 5, 4:41 pm, m...@privacy.net wrote:

There you go. That's what I've been doing for decades except for
avoiding the points.

Nicik Name

Feb 5, 2009, 11:48:12 PM2/5/09

<albu...@mailinator.com> wrote in message
What I do is have studded snow tires installed on my car so I wont hit a
jogger jogging on black ice on the roadway.

aine...@gmail.com

Feb 9, 2009, 2:46:25 AM2/9/09
i would recommended ASADI brand..
have u heard of it?

xoxo,
aineecumi

neway, my secret to release tension is playing this game <a
href=http://www.gamestotal.com> http://www.gamestotal.com </a> <a
href=http://uc.gamestotal.com> http://uc.gamestotal.com </a> <a
href=http://gc.gamestotal.com> http://gc.gamestotal.com </a> <a
href=http://3700ad.gamestotal.com> http://3700ad.gamestotal.com </a>