Underwear

Beaver...@live.com

Dec 20, 2018, 12:01:37 AM12/20/18
Is it my imagination or have the underwear racks at the store like quadrupled in size the last ten years?

Lemme guess, people just throw them away now instead of washing?

Dennis

Jan 2, 2019, 2:58:03 PM1/2/19
On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 21:01:32 -0800 (PST), Beaver...@live.com wrote:

>Is it my imagination or have the underwear racks at the store like quadrupled in size the last ten years?
>
>Lemme guess, people just throw them away now instead of washing?

It's not your imagination - the typical ass has quadrupled in size.
Bigger asses->Bigger underwear->Bigger racks to hold them. QED.

Dennis (evil)

The Real Bev

Jan 2, 2019, 3:07:20 PM1/2/19
On 01/02/2019 11:58 AM, Dennis wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 21:01:32 -0800 (PST), Beaver...@live.com
> wrote:
>
>> Is it my imagination or have the underwear racks at the store like
>> quadrupled in size the last ten years?
>>
>> Lemme guess, people just throw them away now instead of washing?
>
> It's not your imagination - the typical ass has quadrupled in size.
> Bigger asses->Bigger underwear->Bigger racks to hold them. QED.

Walmart has stuff in huge sizes but seem to run out of S and M (HA!)
sizes quickly. Apparently the same with Costco. I have to wonder why
they don't just order more of the smaller sizes.

Yet another reason to shop on line.

--
Cheers, Bev
It's not the speed that kills, it's the stopping.

Michael Black

Jan 2, 2019, 3:45:13 PM1/2/19
I've noticed that groups that sell tshirts, as a fundraiser or promotion,
often seem to have more of the larger sizes. Even the local Fringe
Festival had volunteer tshirts that always seemed to be too big.

My guess is that if they run out, they'd rather deal with the smaller
people than have to tell the bigger people that there's nothing in tbheir
size.

Large look silly on small, but they fit, while too small on a large person
doesn't really work out.

The only other explanation is that they actually order the same number of
each size tshirt, but the larger ones have fewer takers, so they remain at
the end.

Michael

Nyssa

Jan 3, 2019, 10:26:07 AM1/3/19
I had a chat with a very nice sales associate at a Roses
store (discount department store chain mostly in the SE US),
and she told me that the problem is that the individual
stores can't place orders for specific sizes or styles. All
ordering is done at the corporate office, so the stores get
stuck with fewer items in the popular sizes and styles and
an overload of the larger sizes or styles that aren't as
popular.

It makes it very frustrating for the sales staff when they
can't just go into the back room and pull out extras when the
racks run out of certain sizes or styles and can't order
more from the suppliers or even through corporate.

Other discount-type stores such as WM or Costco may have similar
problems with central ordering that bypasses the local stores
and their input.

Sounds like a bad way to run things, but it seems to work for
some of these chains to the frustration of their would-be customers.

Nyssa, who will buy a package of underwear or socks if she
sees her size and preferred style at a reasonable price then
stockpile it for later when needed because when she needs it,
the stores probably won't have want she wants

The Real Bev

Jan 3, 2019, 11:57:10 AM1/3/19
You'd think that with computerized inventory management, JIT crap, etc.
that everybody would be able to coordinate how much of what sizes to
buy. Not everyone who shops at Walmart is a whale, why not change the
proportions? It's not like they're a mom&pop store in East Podunk, Iowa
or anything...

The local Ralph's supermarket almost always has yesterday's hot dog buns
on the day-old-bakery table. For years. You'd think they could figure
it out...

--
Cheers, Bev
"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity

Nyssa

Jan 3, 2019, 5:37:52 PM1/3/19
I'll make a wild guess that some of the discounts these
store chains get depend heavily on their vendors being
able to dump a lot of the whale-sized merchandise as part
of the bundle. The more of the lot sized for whales, the
larger the discount.

So the rest of their non-whale-sized customers have to suffer
with empty racks unless they're lucky enough to get there when
the shipment is first put on display.

A big discounted price doesn't motivate me to make a purchase
when the items aren't in a size I can use.

I wonder how many customers these stores are losing to their
competition because they either go for the odd lots or don't
avail themselves of a more customer-oriented re-ordering
system that actually takes into account what sells?

Nyssa, who would think that re-ordering the merchandise that
actually sells would be part of Retail Management 101

The Real Bev

Jan 3, 2019, 6:26:19 PM1/3/19
On 01/03/2019 02:37 PM, Nyssa wrote:

> I'll make a wild guess that some of the discounts these
> store chains get depend heavily on their vendors being
> able to dump a lot of the whale-sized merchandise as part
> of the bundle. The more of the lot sized for whales, the
> larger the discount.

BUT the Chinese factories will make whatever is wanted in whatever
quantity and quality is wanted. Walmart seems to control a lot of
markets, so they can specify whatever they want. Why do they want extra
whale sizes and no normal sizes?

BUT their cheap women's L/XL slippers aren't large enough for my 8.5-9W
feet :-(

> So the rest of their non-whale-sized customers have to suffer
> with empty racks unless they're lucky enough to get there when
> the shipment is first put on display.

I'll buy sweat-garments by mail, or duplicates of things that I know
will fit, but not shoes. When I wanted nice shoes for my daughter's
wedding I tried on every suitable shoe in the wide-shoe store and found
ONE acceptable pair, which I took off during the reception because they
hurt too much. All I wear now are men's running shoes :-( Long ago a
friend found a shoe store in Florida that catered to cross-dressing men;
if it had been local I would certainly have given it a shot!

> A big discounted price doesn't motivate me to make a purchase
> when the items aren't in a size I can use.
>
> I wonder how many customers these stores are losing to their
> competition because they either go for the odd lots or don't
> avail themselves of a more customer-oriented re-ordering
> system that actually takes into account what sells?

Price rules, so probably not many. People who buy underwear at Walmart
probably don't go to Neiman-Marcus to find a better size :-(

> Nyssa, who would think that re-ordering the merchandise that
> actually sells would be part of Retail Management 101

Education ain't want it used to be.

Bob F

Jan 3, 2019, 9:35:16 PM1/3/19
On 12/19/2018 9:01 PM, Beaver...@live.com wrote:
> Is it my imagination or have the underwear racks at the store like quadrupled in size the last ten years?
>
> Lemme guess, people just throw them away now instead of washing?

Maybe somebody wants something other than old fashioned white briefs?

Nyssa

Jan 4, 2019, 9:57:15 AM1/4/19
Well, I won't shop at WM, so my alternative to Roses is
usually K-Mart when I'm in the Big City. All of the closer
K-Marts closed down one-by-one until all are gone here.

As for shoes, I used to be able to get nice, business quality
shoes in wide sizes at L.L. Bean, but they have dropped all
of those types of shoes in wide sizes long ago. Good thing
I have no need for those types of shoes any longer. Plus I
tend to take care of things, so in a pinch I've still got
a few pairs of the wider, nicer stuff in the closet just in
case.

At least Bean still carries their boots and hiking shoes in
wide sizes, so I keep buying those. Quality and fit is worth
the extra price.

If I have a need for cheap shoes for yard work, I've sometimes
gone the PayLess men's shoes route, especially if I can find
something during their buy one, get another half price sales.
Those regular men's shoes are wide enough to be comfortable
and cheap enough that when they fall apart or get encrusted
with mud, I don't care much.

I used to have problems finding wide shoes in the nicer stores
too. I got *so* tired of the salesperson trying to shove my
poor feet into a half-size larger (because they didn't have
anything but A and B widths) like length would make up for
width.

It's obvious there is a market out there needing the wider
sizes in good quality shoes, so why are none of the stores
meeting it? The "nicer" stores all seem to be in love with
designer shoes which *never* come in anything but narrow sizes
and are horribly over-priced for what they are.

Nyssa, who is lucky to be able to wear her boots or hikers
whenever she ventures out into the world

ItsJoan NotJoann

Jan 4, 2019, 3:09:22 PM1/4/19
On Friday, January 4, 2019 at 8:57:15 AM UTC-6, Nyssa wrote:

> Well, I won't shop at WM, so my alternative to Roses is
> usually K-Mart when I'm in the Big City. All of the closer
> K-Marts closed down one-by-one until all are gone here.

Can I make a suggestion? If you live anywhere near a Vanity Fair outlet
store, head there for underwear. Panties are first quality, no seconds,
and they stock large sizes and different colors as well. I'm not sure if
have cotton panties or not, but probably do. The good thing about their
panties is they are half-price of what the frou-frou department stores
charge. Bras, Wrangler blue jeans, sweatpants, T shirts, too. Both men
and women's apparel.

Beaver...@live.com

Jan 4, 2019, 3:26:21 PM1/4/19
I lost 40 pounds last year but faced with the daunting task of buying new clothes I am wondering if I should just eat it all back on.

The Real Bev

Jan 4, 2019, 5:10:01 PM1/4/19
It's easier and cheaper to shop for bras at Ross' than either Walmart or
Kohl's.

--
Cheers, Bev
Cthulhu for President in 2020. Why vote for a lesser evil?

ItsJoan NotJoann

Jan 4, 2019, 8:57:03 PM1/4/19
On Friday, January 4, 2019 at 4:10:01 PM UTC-6, The Real Bev wrote:

> It's easier and cheaper to shop for bras at Ross' than either Walmart or
> Kohl's.

I've never been in a Ross store although there are some here. But Kohl's is
as expensive as a high end department store.

The Real Bev

Jan 4, 2019, 9:32:13 PM1/4/19
Name-brand markdowns, remaindere, etc. I like shopping there, and I
hate shopping.

--
Cheers, Bev
It doesn't matter who you vote for, the government always gets in.

Beaver...@live.com

Jan 4, 2019, 10:21:39 PM1/4/19
The one here sucks. Mainly because they had an upstairs and downstairs checkout by the mens clohting and stopped using the downstairs one. More than once I hauled stuff upstairs only to find like 20 people in line and just dump the clothes I found.

Michael Black

Jan 5, 2019, 12:39:08 AM1/5/19
It was 35 years ago that I stopped buying those.

FOr a while I was able to get different colors, and more modern looking
"style". But it's been a long time since I've seen red. I had to switch
brands a few times in those 3.5 decades, they switching to a difrent
style. I can't even get the brand I kept with for a long time.

Other than color, I did do okay for a while. Every December I could count
on some 2for1 sales, so I'd buy underwear for the year. Luckily I have a
bit stockpiled, never yet used.

But now I have to find something I like.

I don't like clothes to change, certainly not the staples. Plus, here in
Canada, we lost one decent chain, they deciding to shut down and sell the
leases to Target, that was moving in. SO we had a few years of that chain
declining, the quality seemed to go down and the sales a lot less
frequent, then a significant time between the closing of that chain and
the opening of Target in Canada, and then after a year, Target declares
they are losing too much money, and will shut down. I hadn't even found
the shoe department at the nearest Target. They closed I think in early
2015. Some of the store locations have been reused, but no similar chain.

So four years later, I'm still trying to figure out where I should buy
clothes, and I'm running out. The chain derived from the Hudson's Bay
Company used to be okay, but they've gone more upscale, and cut back on
what they sell. So I never got around to using my fifty dollar gift card
for that store last year (my uncle seems to have decided one of those each
Christmas is okay, though I keep wondering if it's because my great,
great, great grandfather worked for the company for a while in the fur
trade). They don't even have as good sales anymore.

So there's always Walmart, which has never been that appealing and Winners
and Marshalls that are recent imports from the US, and I've never been in
either, though they are in the shopping mall nearby.

Michael

Michael Black

Jan 5, 2019, 12:46:00 AM1/5/19
You should have just kept the old clothes until you fit them again.

I finally got rid of some cold winter clothes in December, things that I'd
still wear but seem to be tighter than I remember. It wasn't so much to
get rid of the old, but to give some still nice things to a homeless
shelter. It includeda very expensive parka I got in 1995, for five
dollars at a garage sale. It's a well known local brand, it was the
warmest parka I ever had. ANd it fit just right. I bought an internal
2400baud modem there (which I turned into an external modem) ahen saw the
parka, which I thought would be junk because of the five dollar price, but
once I touched it, they urged me to try it on, and it fit fine, and I saw
it was this well known brand. It was a great story to tell people, a
grate bargain. Oddly, it had faded when I got it, and it seemed like
someone had spilled battery acid on it, because there were some small hole
in various places, but I patched them up and was happy with it and still
debated whether I should give it up in December.

There was a story about the homeless shelter a few days later, they moved
the day after I left the stuff there, and the direct was in their new
laundry room and hanging in back I could recognize two of my parkas.

Michael

Nyssa

Jan 5, 2019, 10:30:51 AM1/5/19
I don't live near *anything.* For anything other than basics,
I either have to order online or travel a couple of hours to
the Big City.

I can't say I've ever noticed a Vanity Fair outlet in my
travels. And I only wear cotton anyway. Hanes for Her has
been my go-to brand. I like Jockey too, but their prices
are much higher.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Nyssa, who has to plan ahead with her shopping and errands

Nyssa

Jan 5, 2019, 10:46:46 AM1/5/19
I've never been in a Ross, but I checked out Kohl's in two
different locations and it's not for me.

Yes, higher prices, but with the ambiance of a K-Mart. No
thank you!

Nyssa, who misses the days when there were good quality
*locally and regionally owned* department store chains from
which to choose

Nyssa

Jan 5, 2019, 10:56:02 AM1/5/19
Let me guess. Was the store Zeller's?

If so, I agree that it was a nice option back in the day and
I included it in my shopping plans whenever north of the border.
I've still got a few pairs of socks I bought at the one in
Calgary years ago.

It seems as though there is a major split in the types of
stores these days: either they are WM-like discounters with
cheap, poorly made products or high-end department stores
with over-priced often poorly made products with not much
in between.

The middle-class is shrinking and the middle-class department
stores have shrunk or disappeared along with it.

Nyssa, who abhors Macy's and Kohl's and lives too far away
from anything else to make the trip worthwhile

gggg...@gmail.com

Jan 5, 2019, 6:51:10 PM1/5/19
On Wednesday, December 19, 2018 at 7:01:37 PM UTC-10, Beaver...@live.com wrote:
> Is it my imagination or have the underwear racks at the store like quadrupled in size the last ten years?
>
> Lemme guess, people just throw them away now instead of washing?

https://news.google.com/search?q=best%20underwear&hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen

ItsJoan NotJoann

Jan 5, 2019, 7:10:02 PM1/5/19
On Saturday, January 5, 2019 at 9:30:51 AM UTC-6, Nyssa wrote:

> I don't live near *anything.* For anything other than basics,
> I either have to order online or travel a couple of hours to
> the Big City.

EEEEEK!

> I can't say I've ever noticed a Vanity Fair outlet in my
> travels. And I only wear cotton anyway. Hanes for Her has
> been my go-to brand. I like Jockey too, but their prices
> are much higher.

Have you ever ordered from the Hanes site? If you haven't and decide
to give them a shot, look around the internet to see if they are
offering and online coupons.

> Thanks for the suggestion though.

You're welcome!

> Nyssa, who has to plan ahead with her shopping and errands

Thankfully, all I have to plan is what day to head to whatever store.

Beaver...@live.com

Jan 5, 2019, 7:27:27 PM1/5/19
This reminds me when I was 15 and living with grandma and all I had was the Sears catalog.

Nyssa

Jan 6, 2019, 10:25:59 AM1/6/19
I've looked at the Hanes site (a mess to navigate!), but
their prices are higher than most of the stores I check
for sales or clearance prices. Plus their shipping costs
are high and I still pay sales tax on the higher prices
and shipping.

Lucky you having all of that nearby. I'm facing a trek
to an alternative grocery chain just to get items that
Food Lion (the *only* full-service grocery chain in this
county or the nearest two small cities) doesn't carry.
And I"m not talking about outlandish items. Stuff like
canned cherries (not pie filling) and other berries and
bottled spring water in gallon jugs (only one brand carried
at a price double what other stores charge).

It burns most of a day and gallons of gas, but between
finding and stocking up on items I use and the lower prices
of those items, I think it's nearly a wash on savings. But
at least I have what I need on hand.

It's not like I'm in the middle of a desert or on top of
a mountain either. It's just so many chains and stores have
closed and have "regionalized" their stores so you have to
drive much longer distances in hopes of finding what you
need.

It's frustrating and with no signs of a reversal despite all
the calls for conserving and driving less. Hrumph!

Nyssa, who also gets tired of hearing the talking heads go on
about using public transit when their IS none in places outside
metro areas

The Real Bev

Jan 6, 2019, 1:52:21 PM1/6/19
On 01/06/2019 07:25 AM, Nyssa wrote:

> Nyssa, who also gets tired of hearing the talking heads go on
> about using public transit when their IS none in places outside
> metro areas

And even then it's not convenient for most things, including serious
shopping. My city (Pasadena, 250K) is pushing road diets -- removing
traffic lanes and replacing them with bicycle lanes and center left-turn
lanes. This snarls traffic to NO benefit -- I can count the bicyclists
I see per day on my fingers.

Metro station is 1/4 mile from my house. The only places I use it for
are my doctors (they all regard parking lots as a profit center and are
within roughly 1/4 mile of a station), the GOOD auto repair place, and
Chinatown a long time ago. The Walmart is roughly a mile from the
station, which is way too far to carry anything substantial. And yet...

The feds and the state pull financial strings for this shit, and it's a
constant fight. Like cockroaches. We got ONE plan dropped with a lot
of effort, but another one is cropping up in a different place. And
then another...

--
Cheers, Bev
A man's got to know his limitations.

Nyssa

Jan 6, 2019, 2:39:21 PM1/6/19
I feel your pain.

Of course you'd NEVER find any of those politicians or
"well-meaning" types on public transit!

I'd like them to explain to me how someone on a bike or
a bus is supposed to haul home a couple of weeks' worth
of groceries. Especially when it includes frozen or bulky
items.

Bike paths? We've got twisty two lane roads with NO shoulders
much less sidewalks or a place for a bike and a lot of
logging trucks and 18 wheelers to share the road with. And
they don't share well. The closest (only) grocery store is
13 miles from my house. Yeah, walking and bikes...

Isn't it fun to listen to the people who never do their
own shopping and cooking, etc. trying to decide how all of
the little people should live their lives?

Nyssa, who simply turns off the noise and goes about her
business the only way she can...in her truck(s)

The Real Bev

Jan 6, 2019, 2:47:49 PM1/6/19
On 01/06/2019 11:38 AM, Nyssa wrote:

> Isn't it fun to listen to the people who never do their
> own shopping and cooking, etc. trying to decide how all of
> the little people should live their lives?
>
> Nyssa, who simply turns off the noise and goes about her
> business the only way she can...in her truck(s)

I've always combined trips, waited until I had a decent list, etc. We
used to bike more than we drove -- which is between 3K and 4K
miles/year. Not everyone can do that. We can't any more. The bastards
WANT us to get out of our cars and homes with yards and into high-rise
apartments and public transport.

It's all about global warming and the profits to be made therefrom. If
not global warming, something else. Probably involving unions.

--
Cheers, Bev
"Calling someone an asshole for being rude to a telemarketer

Beaver...@live.com

Jan 6, 2019, 4:08:59 PM1/6/19
I live in a public transportation utopia.

About a hundred yards from the 24 hour bus line that runs to downtown LA and all important points in between and also a decent bus that runs to the valley but that place is always spotty when it comes to transit.

All the food I need is within a one block radius from Trader Joes to Vons to all the Armenian produce markets.

Even if I drove, parking is such a pain that I would be stuck walking and bussing it anyway.

The only issue recently was having a 7am flight out of Burbank Airport on Christmas morning, just a tad too early for the buses and I was unable to get a Lyft or a cab. I should have just woke up an hour early and hoofed it but I thought that would be unncessary. I was in near panic mode and wondering if I should just jack my roommate's bike when I finally got a response from Lyft and made it in time.

Beaver...@live.com

Jan 6, 2019, 4:10:20 PM1/6/19
Bus ridership is declining.

People who are dependent can no longer afford to live here and the buses are seen as dangerous and filthy while rideshare apps are dominating.

Beaver...@live.com

Jan 6, 2019, 4:14:49 PM1/6/19
Just got an email, free shipping with code SHIPFREE and 10% off $60 or more with 10OFFNOW.

Ordered a hoodie once but the site is definitely a mess.

Dennis

Jan 7, 2019, 4:05:35 PM1/7/19
On Thu, 3 Jan 2019 15:26:14 -0800, The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On 01/03/2019 02:37 PM, Nyssa wrote:
>
>> I'll make a wild guess that some of the discounts these
>> store chains get depend heavily on their vendors being
>> able to dump a lot of the whale-sized merchandise as part
>> of the bundle. The more of the lot sized for whales, the
>> larger the discount.
>
>BUT the Chinese factories will make whatever is wanted in whatever
>quantity and quality is wanted. Walmart seems to control a lot of
>markets, so they can specify whatever they want. Why do they want extra
>whale sizes and no normal sizes?
>
>BUT their cheap women's L/XL slippers aren't large enough for my 8.5-9W
>feet :-(

Lucky you have those turquoise Go-Go boots. Timeless classics.

The Real Bev

Jan 7, 2019, 4:38:02 PM1/7/19
Eidetic memory or stalking? Damn!

--
Cheers, Bev
It's true that Smokey Bear deserves praise for his

Dennis

Jan 7, 2019, 4:39:56 PM1/7/19
So is that when you started just throwing your underwear away?

gggg...@gmail.com

Feb 19, 2019, 9:06:34 PM2/19/19
On Wednesday, December 19, 2018 at 7:01:37 PM UTC-10, Beaver...@live.com wrote:
> Is it my imagination or have the underwear racks at the store like quadrupled in size the last ten years?
>
> Lemme guess, people just throw them away now instead of washing?

- T-shirts for ten dollars are even more fashion today than expensive fashion.

Karl Lagerfeld: 1938 - 2019