Deceptive car dealer advertising tactic

1 view

Interstate Driver

Mar 28, 2010, 5:28:43 PM3/28/10
I hope that no one here falls for this type of car dealer advertisement.
http://bit.ly/aPPmyn

richard

Mar 28, 2010, 5:49:38 PM3/28/10
On 28 Mar 2010 21:28:43 -0000, Interstate Driver wrote:

> I hope that no one here falls for this type of car dealer advertisement.
> http://bit.ly/aPPmyn

Just an idiot who failed math.

Years ago there was a case in cincinnati where sears had advertised a tv
set at some ungodly ridicously low price. When customers flocked to the
store they were told the ad was a misprint and the price advertised would
not be honored. Somebody took sears to court and the court said, sorry, but
you allowed the ad to run for several days. So you have to sell the tv's at
that price. Bummers.

necromancer

Mar 28, 2010, 7:09:49 PM3/28/10
On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 14:49:38 -0700, richard <mem...@newsguy.com>
wrote:

>On 28 Mar 2010 21:28:43 -0000, Interstate Driver wrote:
>
>> I hope that no one here falls for this type of car dealer advertisement.
>> http://bit.ly/aPPmyn
>
>Just an idiot who failed math.

OR reading comprehansion. And/or failed to pay attention to the
details to note the MSRP, the rebates and cash down required printed
right above that, "price." Any bets on that, "price," being contingent
on financing the vehicle through the dealership? Or could I just walk
in with US$13,919 and buy that car?

>Years ago there was a case in cincinnati where sears had advertised a tv
>set at some ungodly ridicously low price. When customers flocked to the
>store they were told the ad was a misprint and the price advertised would
>not be honored. Somebody took sears to court and the court said, sorry, but
>you allowed the ad to run for several days. So you have to sell the tv's at
>that price. Bummers.

Sounds kinda like bait and switch. Years ago, when I was a kid (even
before I could drive...), my Dad an I went to J-ville to buy a TV that
was advertised in the J-ville rag. When we got there, the salesman
showed us the TV on display with a noticablly bad picture; of course,
the more expensive TV's had better pictures which he tried to push
onto us.

Needless to say, we left his business and purchased a TV elsewhere.

--
"Zidane's career ends in disgrace!"
--BBC Broadcast

Ed

Mar 28, 2010, 7:16:30 PM3/28/10
necromancer wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 14:49:38 -0700, richard <mem...@newsguy.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On 28 Mar 2010 21:28:43 -0000, Interstate Driver wrote:
> >
> >> I hope that no one here falls for this type of car dealer
> advertisement. >> http://bit.ly/aPPmyn
> >
> > Just an idiot who failed math.
>
> OR reading comprehansion.

Spot the irony. LOL!

> And/or failed to pay attention to the
> details to note the MSRP, the rebates and cash down required printed
> right above that, "price." Any bets on that, "price," being contingent
> on financing the vehicle through the dealership? Or could I just walk
> in with US$13,919 and buy that car?

The intent of the ad is to make the reader think that the car costs
$10,919. It is clearly deceptive advertising.

--

Message has been deleted

necromancer

Mar 29, 2010, 10:46:31 PM3/29/10
On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 23:16:30 +0000 (UTC), "Ed" <e...@xxx.net> wrote:

>necromancer wrote:

>> OR reading comprehansion.
>
>Spot the irony. LOL!

Awwwww, Jeeeezzzz, A spelling flame....

>> And/or failed to pay attention to the
>> details to note the MSRP, the rebates and cash down required printed
>> right above that, "price." Any bets on that, "price," being contingent
>> on financing the vehicle through the dealership? Or could I just walk
>> in with US$13,919 and buy that car?
>>

>The intent of the ad is to make the reader think that the car costs
>$10,919. It is clearly deceptive advertising.

I'll ask again, If I were to walk into that dealer with a cashier's
check for US$13,919.00, would he sell me the car? Not everyone is
details challenged enough to fall for the big US10,919, gimmick.

--
"This item demonstrates how stupid the average American is. Every
ninety minutes someone in this country is hit by a train. A train,

Coffee's For Closers

Apr 5, 2010, 4:32:53 PM4/5/10
In article <60ovq5hdr2d5pq0pk...@4ax.com>,
Zidane's_Last_Red_Card@worldofnecromancer_no_spam_no_way.org
says...

Here's an article about the "Charlie's Angels Effect," where you
are presented a low-priced decoy that looks bad, to incite a
willingness to spend more:

http://www.sixwise.com/newsletters/06/06/06/how_the_charlies_ange
ls_effect_makes_you_poorer_sicker__amp_maybe_uglier.htm

--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com/

SMS

Apr 5, 2010, 7:04:54 PM4/5/10
On 29/03/10 7:46 PM, necromancer wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 23:16:30 +0000 (UTC), "Ed"<e...@xxx.net> wrote:
>
>> necromancer wrote:
>
>>> OR reading comprehansion.
>>
>> Spot the irony. LOL!
>
> Awwwww, Jeeeezzzz, A spelling flame....
>
>>> And/or failed to pay attention to the
>>> details to note the MSRP, the rebates and cash down required printed
>>> right above that, "price." Any bets on that, "price," being contingent
>>> on financing the vehicle through the dealership? Or could I just walk
>>> in with US$13,919 and buy that car?
>>>

>> The intent of the ad is to make the reader think that the car costs
>> $10,919. It is clearly deceptive advertising.
>
> I'll ask again, If I were to walk into that dealer with a cashier's
> check for US$13,919.00, would he sell me the car?

Maybe. In this case probably yes, since the $13,919 is no great deal.

I did have trouble once buying a Camry that was advertised "all in stock
at thise price" but they did eventually agree to sell it to me when I
financed it. I paid it off immediately. They would not sell it to me for
cash. Yeah, what they did was almost certainly illegal, but what was I
supposed to do, sue them?

Message has been deleted

SMS

Apr 5, 2010, 9:40:02 PM4/5/10
On 05/04/10 5:05 PM, Scott in SoCal wrote:

> Last time on rec.autos.driving, SMS<scharf...@geemail.com> said:
>
>> I did have trouble once buying a Camry that was advertised "all in stock
>> at thise price" but they did eventually agree to sell it to me when I
>> financed it. I paid it off immediately. They would not sell it to me for
>> cash.
>
> Hmm... I wonder who ends up losing out in that scenario? Does the
> finance company pay the stealership a "commission" or "finder's fee"
> or whatever it is they get up front, or does the stealership get a
> share of the interest paid by the borrower over time, a little bit
> every month?
>
> It would suck if the lender had to pay out several hundred bucks up
> front and then never have a chance to recoup that money because the
> borrower paid off the loan with the first payment.

Pretty sure the car dealer gets a kickback regardless of how soon the
buyer pays off the loan.

Apr 5, 2010, 10:05:01 PM4/5/10
> Pretty sure the car dealer gets a kickback regardless of how soon the
> buyer pays off the loan.

Oh yeah. 15 years ago I designed websites for a mega-bank. One of the
projects they had me work on was an instructional site for car dealers to
teach them how to sell used cars to sub-prime buyers for mega bucks. One
example showed them how to sell a 7 year old Chevy Lumina that cost them $4k
to some poor schlub with lousy credit for $11k. They made even more money on
the loan since they got a percentage of the monthly payment, which
was...wait for it, $600, for 48 months. Yup, $28,800 for a car worth $4k,
and this was back in the mid-90s! The dealers were instructed to sell it as
a "great deal" since it had no down payment. Uh huh. The "break-even" for
the bank was 9 months, meaning that when the buyer defaulted, as they
usually did, as long as they had paid 9 months, both the bank and the dealer
were back to even, and since the dealer re-possessed the car, they could do
it again. What I could never figure out is that if you could afford $600 a
month for a car payment, why on earth wouldn't you just take the bus for a
few months, save up $2k and buy a beater?

When they asked me to make a sub-prime mortgage website I quit that job. It
was just too distasteful.

Cindy Hamilton

Apr 6, 2010, 1:04:42 PM4/6/10
On Apr 5, 10:05 pm, "h" <tmcl...@searchmachine.com> wrote:

>What I could never figure out is that if you could afford $600 a
> month for a car payment, why on earth wouldn't you just take the bus for a
> few months, save up $2k and buy a beater?

Not everybody lives where there are buses. I don't. Well, I'd have
to walk
2.4 miles out of my 4.8-mile commute to get to a bus stop. No
sidewalks for
a good portion of the way, on roads that have 45-mph speed limits,
which
means that people do 55 mph or more. Winter weather.

But mainly, not everybody can do the math.

Cindy Hamilton

Apr 7, 2010, 9:23:11 PM4/7/10

"Cindy Hamilton" <angelica...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Wow! Are we neighbors?
I work at home now, but I'm 4.5 miles from the nearest bus stop, 5 miles
from the nearest store. Ironically, there's a gas station within 1 mile
(walking distance). I have spent a few weeks (M-F) without a car and had to
plan all my errands on the weekend when a car was available, but that was a
few years ago when DH had out of town contracts. His last long-term contract
5 years ago prompted me to replace the car I had sold when I started working
from home. 5 days is just too long to be housebound.

That said, even if I had to take cabs to run my errands I couldn't possibly
spend $600 month on cab fare. Hell, you could spend $30 a day on cab fare 5
days a week (commute) and still come out ahead over spending $600 a month on
a car payment. Apparently those sub-prime buyers forgot about insurance,
repairs, registration, etc.

Coffee's For Closers

Apr 8, 2010, 2:42:32 AM4/8/10
In article <6eukr5pa3o1vubsad...@4ax.com>,
scotte...@yahoo.com says...

> Last time on rec.autos.driving, SMS <scharf...@geemail.com> said:
>
> >I did have trouble once buying a Camry that was advertised "all in stock
> >at thise price" but they did eventually agree to sell it to me when I
> >financed it. I paid it off immediately. They would not sell it to me for
> >cash.

> Hmm... I wonder who ends up losing out in that scenario? Does the

> finance company pay the stealership a "commission" or "finder's fee"
> or whatever it is they get up front, or does the stealership get a
> share of the interest paid by the borrower over time, a little bit
> every month?
>
> It would suck if the lender had to pay out several hundred bucks up
> front and then never have a chance to recoup that money because the
> borrower paid off the loan with the first payment.

Yeah-but... How often do people actually sign up for financing
and then pay off the loan in a lump sum?

Message has been deleted

k...@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 8, 2010, 7:15:14 PM4/8/10
On Thu, 08 Apr 2010 07:12:52 -0700, Scott in SoCal <scotte...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Last time on rec.autos.driving, Coffee's For Closers

We've been advised to do it when the manufacturer had financing incentives.

>Not often, but it would be nice to be able to fuck over some asshole
>stealership that refused to sell you a car for cash by stiffing them
>on their cut of the finance charges.

Dealership refusing to sell for cash? Come on! Maybe they'll not sell at the
same price because they're getting a kickback, but in reality they're simply
giving you a piece of the kickback.