Frugal Carpet Cleaning Solution For Steam Cleaners?

Tiziano

Oct 31, 2009, 4:30:30 PM10/31/09
I am planning on renting one of those RugDoctor carpet cleaners from
Wal-Mart but would like to avoid purchasing their cleaning solution too...

This site:
http://frugalliving.about.com/od/householdsavings/qt/Carpet_Cleaner.htm
recommends using equal parts of white vinegar and warm water in order to
make some cheap carpet cleaning solution. Any comments on that? Other
alternatives to white vinegar? (I am a little bit worried that white
vinegar will stink up the whole carpet and place...)

Thanks.
--
tb

Rod Speed

Oct 31, 2009, 5:53:58 PM10/31/09
Tiziano wrote:

Yeah, me too. Sounds mad to me.

Lou

Oct 31, 2009, 7:04:08 PM10/31/09

"Tiziano" <nos...@example.com> wrote in message

I wouldn't use vinegar for fear of the smell lingering for days, weeks,
months...

If you're going to rent (or for that matter, buy) a carpet cleaning machine,
it seems to me only common sense to use whatever cleaning solution is made
to go with the machine. Machine plus solution has to be cheaper than buying
and installing new carpet.

You don't say if the carpet you want to clean is wall-to-wall, the kind
that's tacked down. If it's not, take the carpet outside, hand it up, and
beat the dirt out of it.

hchi...@hotmail.com

Nov 1, 2009, 12:19:27 AM11/1/09
On Sat, 31 Oct 2009 15:30:30 -0500, "Tiziano" <nos...@example.com>
wrote:

If the rug was previously cleaned with a rug shampooer, all you need
is warm water. The soap from shampooers remains in the carpet.
Otherwise, HE (high efficiency) laundry detergent plus a little
isopropyl alcohol will clean. The important point is not to use too
much, and to spray first to allow the cleaner to work before sucking
it back out.

Annie Woughman

Nov 1, 2009, 1:42:34 AM11/1/09

"Tiziano" <nos...@example.com> wrote in message
The professionals use one part plain cheapo household ammonia to three parts
water in all their commercial carpet cleaning. I've tried it and it works
pretty good. I prefer to do it in the summer time and leave all the windows
open (it dries faster then too) and don't drench the carpet--to much water
isn't good for the carpet or the pad. Ammonia stinks worse than vinegar but
the smell quickly dissipates.

Dee

Nov 1, 2009, 8:27:34 AM11/1/09
"Tiziano" <nos...@example.com> wrote in

> I am planning on renting one of those RugDoctor carpet cleaners
> from Wal-Mart but would like to avoid purchasing their cleaning
> solution too...
>
> This site:
> http://frugalliving.about.com/od/householdsavings/qt/Carpet_Cleaner

> .htm recommends using equal parts of white vinegar and warm water

> in order to make some cheap carpet cleaning solution. Any
> comments on that? Other alternatives to white vinegar? (I am a
> little bit worried that white vinegar will stink up the whole
> carpet and place...)
>
> Thanks.

I use 1 Tbsp. of Tide to a gallon of boiling water in the tank. Works
well and doesn't suds up.

Dee