Anyone else seeing mystery phone numbers on Embarq long distance bill?

brassplyer

Jan 2, 2009, 2:00:40 PM1/2/09
I have a local/long dist/DSL package with Embarq & noticed a couple of
calls on my long distance bill that I know I didn't make. It's an
unlisted number in a state where I don't know anyone, haven't had any
occasion to have any business dealings. The reason I noticed this is
that I make very few l/d calls and suddenly there was a larger amount
under the l/d than normal.

I called Embarq to advise them, and they said as I expected that "on
their records it looks like I made the calls" but as a one-time
courtesy they'll credit my account for the amount.

I went back several months online and didn't find any other mystery
calls but something else I didn't notice before is that they weren't
printing details of l/d calls on my bill. It refers me to the website
for details of the calls. When I asked about this, they said okay
they'd start printing my l/d details on the bill. This is the first
company I've dealt with that didn't do this by default. They do print
intrastate l/d calls by default. I asked if he knew why, he said it
was a cost-saving measure. When you do go to the online bill, they've
got it buried under several layers to finally see the phone number
which you have to go through every time you switch to view a different
billing period.

So either someone somehow made calls on my line or there's some issue
with their billing mis-assigning l/d charges to the wrong bill.
Wondering how the former would be accomplished, or if anyone has had
problems with the latter.

brassplyer

Jan 2, 2009, 2:23:59 PM1/2/09
Repeating to add misc.consumers.house

Stray Dog

Jan 2, 2009, 9:38:36 PM1/2/09

See farther below....

On Fri, 2 Jan 2009, brassplyer wrote:

> Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2009 11:00:40 -0800 (PST)
> From: brassplyer <brass...@yahoo.com>
> Newsgroups: misc.consumers, misc.consumers.frugal-living
> Subject: Anyone else seeing mystery phone numbers on Embarq long distance
> bill?

> I have a local/long dist/DSL package with Embarq & noticed a couple of
> calls on my long distance bill that I know I didn't make. It's an
> unlisted number in a state where I don't know anyone, haven't had any
> occasion to have any business dealings. The reason I noticed this is
> that I make very few l/d calls and suddenly there was a larger amount
> under the l/d than normal.
>
> I called Embarq to advise them, and they said as I expected that "on
> their records it looks like I made the calls" but as a one-time
> courtesy they'll credit my account for the amount.
>
> I went back several months online and didn't find any other mystery
> calls but something else I didn't notice before is that they weren't
> printing details of l/d calls on my bill. It refers me to the website
> for details of the calls. When I asked about this, they said okay
> they'd start printing my l/d details on the bill. This is the first
> company I've dealt with that didn't do this by default. They do print
> intrastate l/d calls by default. I asked if he knew why, he said it
> was a cost-saving measure. When you do go to the online bill, they've
> got it buried under several layers to finally see the phone number
> which you have to go through every time you switch to view a different
> billing period.

I appreciate your concern, but you should be concerned. My bank, after
Check 21 went into effect, does not send the cancelled checks back but
provides "images". Then, I noticed recently that even the images have
disappeared and they have abbreiviated entries for the "pay to" person or
entity and so you can't even see any notes you may have written on your
check, either.

Companies seem to be deliberately _hiding_ all kinds of things on their
website and take the attitude that YOU have to go to their website and YOU
find any new policy/proceedure that they add/change/etc., on your own, and
without notice. It helps them get away with murder.

I don't know what Embarq does for you, but I am looking for any and all
kinds of "annonymous" systems out there, such as pay-as-you-go such as
tracfone. I buy with cash a PIN number that adds minutes and they don't
know who I am (they can know who I call, fine), but I have worried less
about this system than almost anything else I buy. All the banks are
getting worse about a lot of things, too. I've even had trouble at the
USPS over stuff that I should not have trouble with.

Watch out for all that fine print and look for clauses that can give you
trouble.

And, another little doozie: we've noticed here, on certain web browsers on
certain hardware, on certain websites, that not all of certain kinds of
e-commerce show up correctly or completely, either, on what is displayed
on your screen. Guess what else? Same OS, same web browser, same browser
updates, and on different hardware, also gives different screens!!! And,
when we told one CS department about this, they blew us off. And, then,
weeks later they must have gotten tons of complaints because they fixed
it. Also no announcement, no "we're sorry we ignored you," nothing. Just
big 8,000 lb gorilla out there; take your chances.

> So either someone somehow made calls on my line or there's some issue
> with their billing mis-assigning l/d charges to the wrong bill.
> Wondering how the former would be accomplished, or if anyone has had
> problems with the latter.

Hacking and phreaking (hacking the phone company, etc) may be more
advanced than you think.

Rod Speed

Jan 3, 2009, 1:18:09 AM1/3/09
Stray Dog wrote:
> brassplyer <brass...@yahoo.com> wrote

>> I have a local/long dist/DSL package with Embarq & noticed a couple
>> of calls on my long distance bill that I know I didn't make. It's an
>> unlisted number in a state where I don't know anyone, haven't had any
>> occasion to have any business dealings. The reason I noticed this is
>> that I make very few l/d calls and suddenly there was a larger amount
>> under the l/d than normal.
>>
>> I called Embarq to advise them, and they said as I expected that "on
>> their records it looks like I made the calls" but as a one-time
>> courtesy they'll credit my account for the amount.
>>
>> I went back several months online and didn't find any other mystery
>> calls but something else I didn't notice before is that they weren't
>> printing details of l/d calls on my bill. It refers me to the website
>> for details of the calls. When I asked about this, they said okay
>> they'd start printing my l/d details on the bill. This is the first
>> company I've dealt with that didn't do this by default. They do print
>> intrastate l/d calls by default. I asked if he knew why, he said it
>> was a cost-saving measure. When you do go to the online bill, they've
>> got it buried under several layers to finally see the phone number
>> which you have to go through every time you switch to view a
>> different billing period.

> I appreciate your concern, but you should be concerned. My bank, after Check 21 went into effect, does not send the
> cancelled checks back but provides "images".

Only fools/dinosaurs use checks anymore.

> Then, I noticed recently that even the images have disappeared and they have abbreiviated entries for the "pay to"
> person or entity and so you can't even see any notes you may have written on your check, either.

Only fools/dinosaurs write notes on the checks.

> Companies seem to be deliberately _hiding_ all kinds of things on their website and take the attitude that YOU have to
> go to their website and YOU find any new policy/
> proceedure that they add/change/etc., on your own, and without notice. It helps them get away with murder.

Yeah, yeah, its those damned jews conspiring in smoke filled rooms to shaft us all...

> I don't know what Embarq does for you, but I am looking for any and
> all kinds of "annonymous" systems out there, such as pay-as-you-go
> such as tracfone. I buy with cash a PIN number that adds minutes and
> they don't know who I am (they can know who I call, fine), but I have
> worried less about this system than almost anything else I buy. All
> the banks are getting worse about a lot of things, too. I've even had
> trouble at the USPS over stuff that I should not have trouble with.

You should do the decent thing and set fire to yourself in 'protest' or sumfin.

> Watch out for all that fine print and look for clauses that can give you trouble.

Most havent been given the bums rush and have plenty better to do with their time.

> And, another little doozie: we've noticed here, on certain web browsers on certain hardware, on certain websites, that
> not all of certain kinds of e-commerce show up correctly or completely, either, on what is displayed on your screen.
> Guess what else? Same OS, same web browser, same browser updates, and on different hardware, also gives different
> screens!!!

Thats those damned jews again!!!!!!

> And, when we told one CS department about this, they blew us off.

Cant imagine why for the life of me.

> And, then, weeks later they must have gotten tons of complaints because they fixed it.

Or you ran out of the whacky weed...

> Also no announcement, no "we're sorry we ignored you," nothing. Just big 8,000 lb gorilla out there; take your
> chances.

You should do the decent thing and set fire to yourself in 'protest' or sumfin.

>> So either someone somehow made calls on my line or there's some issue
>> with their billing mis-assigning l/d charges to the wrong bill.
>> Wondering how the former would be accomplished, or if anyone has had
>> problems with the latter.

> Hacking and phreaking (hacking the phone company, etc) may be more advanced than you think.

Or you've been at that whacky weed, again.

Stray Dog

Jan 3, 2009, 10:54:25 PM1/3/09

On Sat, 3 Jan 2009, Rod Speed wrote:

> Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 17:18:09 +1100
> From: Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com>
> Newsgroups: misc.consumers, misc.consumers.frugal-living
> Subject: Re: Anyone else seeing mystery phone numbers on Embarq long distance
> bill?

If anyone else is reading this thread, you should read the Rod Speed FAQ.
I did not write it. See bellow.
=================

The "Rod Speed FAQ" read it below or at the URL for yourself.....
- - - - - - - - -
http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Archive/Alt/alt.internet.wireless/2006-07/ms
g00462.html
- - - - - - - - - -

After its recent emergence in the thread "How to calculate increase
of home wireless router range?", readers of this group may find
this useful. [based on a post in comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage]

Who or What is Rod Speed?

Rod Speed is an entirely modern phenomenon. Essentially, Rod
Speed is an insecure and worthless individual who has discovered
he can enhance his own self-esteem in his own eyes by playing "the
big, hard man" on the InterNet.

Rod is believed to be from Australia.

Rod certainly posts a lot. Why is that?

It relates back to the point about boosting his own self esteem by
what amounts to effectively having a wank in public. Rod's
personality, as exemplified by his posts, means he is practically
unemployable which means he sits around at home all day festering
away and getting worse and worse. This means he posts more and
more try and boost the old failing self esteem. Being unemployed
also means he as a lot of time on his hands to post in he first
place.

But maybe Rod really is a very clever and knowledgable person?

Clever? His posts wouldn't support that theory. As far as being
knowledgable, well, Rod has posted to various aus newsgroups
including invest, comms, and politics. He has posted to all as a
self professed "expert" and flames any and all who disagree with
him. Logically, here's no way any single individual could be
more than a jack of all trades across such a wide spread of
subject matter.

But maybe Rod really is an expert in some areas?

Possibly. However, his "bedside manner" prevents him from being
taken seriously by most normal people. Also, he has damaged his
credibility in areas where he might know what he's on about by
shooting his self in the foot in areas where he does not. For
example, in the case of subject matter such as politics, even a
view held by Albert Einstein cannot be little more than an
opinion and to vociferously denigrate an opposing opinion is
simply small mindedness and bigotry, the kind of which Einstein
himself fought against his whole life.

What is Rod Speed's main modus operandi?

Simple! He shoots off a half brained opinion in response to any
other post and touts that opinion as fact. When challenged, he
responds with vociferous and rabid denigration. He has an
instantly recognisable set of schoolboy put downs limited pretty
much to the following: "Pathetic, Puerile, Little Boy, try
harder, trivial, more lies, gutless wonder, wanker, etc etc".
The fact that Rod has been unable to come up with any new insults
says a lot about his outlook and intelligence.

But why do so many people respond to Rod in turn?

It has to do with effrontery and a lack of logic. Most people
who post have some basis of reason for what they write and when
Rod retorts with his usual denigration and derision they respond
emotionally rather than logically. It's like a teacher in a
class room who has a misbehaving pupil. The teacher challenges
the pupil to explain himself and the student responds with "***
off, Big Nose!" Even thought the teacher has a fairly normal
proboscis, he gets a dent in his self-esteem and might resort to
an emotional repsonse like "yeah? well your *** wouldn't fill a
pop rivet, punk", which merely invites some oneupmanship from the
naughty pupil. Of course, the teacher should not have justified
the initial comment with a response, especially in front of the
class. The correct response was "please report to the
headmaster's office right NOW!"

What is a "RodBot"?

Some respondents in aus.invest built a "virtual Rod" which was
indiscernable from the "real" Rod. Net users could enter an
opinion or even a fact and the RoDBot would tell them they were
pathetic lying schoolboys who should be able to do better or some
equally pithy Rod Speedism.

Are you saying that Rod Speed is a Troll?

You got it!

What is the best way to handle Rod Speed?

KillFile!

.

===========

Once more, the Rod Speed FAQ. I didn't write it....

[...]

Rod Speed

Jan 4, 2009, 12:48:35 AM1/4/09
Some gutless fuckwit psychopath with pathetic psychotic
delusions about being a dog, desperately cowering behind
Stray Dog desperately attempted to bullshit and lie its way out
of its predicament and fooled absolutely no one at all, as always.

No surprise that it got the bums rush, right out the door, onto its lard arse.

No surprise that its so pathetically bitter and twisted about it.

trigonometry1972@gmail.com |

Jan 6, 2009, 1:07:09 AM1/6/09
On Jan 2, 11:00 am, brassplyer <brasspl...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have a local/long dist/DSL package with Embarq & noticed a couple of
> calls on my long distance bill that I know I didn't make. It's an
> unlisted number in a state where I don't know anyone, haven't had any
> occasion to have any business dealings. The reason I noticed this is
> that I make very few l/d calls and suddenly there was a larger amount
> under the l/d than normal.
>
> I called Embarq to advise them, and they said as I expected that "on
> their records it looks like I made the calls" but as a one-time
> courtesy they'll credit my account for the amount.
>
> I went back several months online and didn't find any other mystery
> calls but something else I didn't notice before is that they weren't
> printing details of l/d calls on my bill. It refers me to the website
> for details of the calls.  When I asked about this, they said okay
> they'd start printing my l/d details on the bill. This is the first
> company I've dealt with that didn't do this by default. They do print
> intrastate l/d calls by default. I asked if he knew why, he said it
> was a cost-saving measure. When you do go to the online bill, they've
> got it buried under several layers to finally see the phone number
> which you have to go through every time you switch to view a different
> billing period.
>
> So either someone somehow made calls on my line or there's some issue
> with their billing mis-assigning l/d charges to the wrong bill.
> Wondering how the former would be accomplished, or if anyone has had
> problems with the latter.

I don't recall any unknown numbers on my bills but I got too many spam
calls
when I had Embarq. I cured that by cancelling service.
And I'll add that felt really good. I haven't had a spam call since.
Plus my internet is faster and cheaper than what is offered by Embarq.
They wanted to bundle services, LOL

Embarq is contemptible...................Trig

s2000ho...@gmail.com

Jan 6, 2009, 7:00:33 AM1/6/09
On Jan 3, 1:18 am, "Rod Speed" <rod.speed....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Only fools/dinosaurs use checks anymore.

DOT only takes checks, no cash, no cc. Stick to things you know, like
welfare.

Tomes

Jan 6, 2009, 9:16:00 PM1/6/09
<s2000ho...@gmail.com> ...
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:

> Only fools/dinosaurs use checks anymore.

DOT only takes checks, no cash, no cc. Stick to things you know, like
welfare.

========================
New Jersey MVC [the NJ version of the DOT] takes credit cards.
Tomes

Rod Speed

Jan 7, 2009, 1:03:41 AM1/7/09
s2000ho...@gmail.com wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.speed....@gmail.com> wrote

>> Only fools/dinosaurs use checks anymore.

> DOT only takes checks, no cash, no cc.

Only fools/dinosaurs let them get away with that.

You elected those who 'run' operations like that, fuckwit.

s2000ho...@gmail.com

Jan 7, 2009, 8:18:10 AM1/7/09
On Jan 6, 9:16 pm, "Tomes" <ask...@here.net> wrote:
> <s2000hondas2...@gmail.com> ...

That's great for people in New Jersey except that New Jersey is also a
shithole.

s2000ho...@gmail.com

Jan 7, 2009, 8:21:31 AM1/7/09
On Jan 7, 1:03 am, "Rod Speed" <rod.speed....@gmail.com> wrote:
> s2000hondas2...@gmail.com wrote

And? It's not costing me anything, wanker.

Rod Speed

Jan 7, 2009, 2:15:02 PM1/7/09

> And? It's not costing me anything.

You have always been, and always will be, completely irrelevant, fuckwit.

s2000ho...@gmail.com

Jan 7, 2009, 6:15:55 PM1/7/09
On Jan 7, 2:15 pm, "Rod Speed" <rod.speed....@gmail.com> wrote:

And yet you keep replying to my posts,. Piss off, wanker

Rod Speed

Jan 7, 2009, 7:21:35 PM1/7/09

To keep rubbing your stupid nose in that basic, fuckwit.

Tomes

Jan 7, 2009, 8:30:32 PM1/7/09
<s2000ho...@gmail.com>...
"Tomes":

> <s2000hondas2...@gmail.com> ...
> xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:
> > Only fools/dinosaurs use checks anymore.
>
> DOT only takes checks, no cash, no cc. Stick to things you know, like
> welfare.
> ========================
> New Jersey MVC [the NJ version of the DOT] takes credit cards.
> Tomes

That's great for people in New Jersey except that New Jersey is also a
shithole.

================
Completely irresponsible statement. All one needs to do is drive to
northwest or central west NJ to refute this.
Sheesh.
Tomes

clams_casino

Jan 7, 2009, 9:17:04 PM1/7/09
s2000ho...@gmail.com wrote:

I can think of many worse places - AR, MS, AL & KY to name a few.
Generally speaking, most any red state would be worse..

s2000ho...@gmail.com

Jan 8, 2009, 8:40:27 AM1/8/09
> To keep rubbing your stupid nose in that basic, fuckwit.- Hide quoted text -

Sure you are. I have free checking and last year earned $150 in Target
gifts cards, cost to me, zero. Yes, rub my nose in that, imbecile.

With the amount of posting you do, it's obvious the only thing you're
rubbing is your tiny penis.

Keep flailing, wanker.

s2000ho...@gmail.com

Jan 8, 2009, 8:46:27 AM1/8/09
On Jan 7, 8:30 pm, "Tomes" <ask...@here.net> wrote:
> <s2000hondas2...@gmail.com>...

Oh, there's two, tiny sections that ok, that's much better. Don't try
to convince me, 12 years in
Somerville was more than enough.

s2000ho...@gmail.com

Jan 8, 2009, 8:48:53 AM1/8/09
On Jan 7, 9:17 pm, clams_casino <PeterGrif...@DrunkinClam.com> wrote:
> Generally speaking, most any red state would be worse..- Hide quoted text -

I'll take Kentucky over NJ any day, Lexington to be exact.

clams_casino

Jan 8, 2009, 8:57:42 AM1/8/09
s2000ho...@gmail.com wrote:

OK - there might be a few places, but statewide......

Rod Speed

Jan 10, 2009, 12:09:40 PM1/10/09
s2000ho...@gmail.com wrote

> Rod Speed <rod.speed....@gmail.com> wrote
>> s2000hondas2...@gmail.com wrote
>>> Rod Speed <rod.speed....@gmail.com> wrote

>>> And yet you keep replying to my posts,.

>> To keep rubbing your stupid nose in that basic, fuckwit.

> Sure you are.

Fraid so.

> I have free checking and last year earned $150 in Target gifts cards, cost to me, zero.

True in spades of a card that has no annual charge and rebates, fuckwit.

And you get the convenience that no check can ever provide.

s2000ho...@gmail.com

Jan 10, 2009, 6:32:34 PM1/10/09

Ya think? I thought the CC co's were giving me rebates for shits and
giggles.

> And you get the convenience that no check can ever provide.- Hide quoted text -

No shit, try post something people don't already know, fucktard.

Stray Dog

Jan 10, 2009, 7:46:17 PM1/10/09

On Sun, 11 Jan 2009, Rod Speed wrote:

> Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 04:09:40 +1100

> From: Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com>
> Newsgroups: misc.consumers, misc.consumers.frugal-living

> Subject: Re: Anyone else seeing mystery phone numbers on Embarq long distance
> bill?

pongespob

Jan 11, 2009, 7:03:45 AM1/11/09
On Jan 3, 10:54 pm, Stray Dog <sdog2...@sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:

> Rod certainly posts a lot. Why is that?

It seems the only thing less mentally sound than someone posting a lot
of drivel you think has no redeeming value, is to concoct and share
long screeds in tribute to them..