Fridgidaire planned obsolescence ?

Devo

Feb 25, 2009, 2:38:32 PM2/25/09
we have had the thermostat / cold control box go south. the points inside
are fried.
but if they can find us a part it seems mighty pricey. Is this a way to
sell you a new fridge?
--
It's amazing what you can do. If...
you put your mind to it.

Rod Speed

Feb 25, 2009, 3:51:06 PM2/25/09
Devo wrote:

> we have had the thermostat / cold control box go south. the points inside are fried.
> but if they can find us a part it seems mighty pricey. Is this a way to sell you a new fridge?

Nope, just passing on the very high cost of spares to you.

albu...@mailinator.com

Feb 25, 2009, 4:41:22 PM2/25/09

That's the way it is with about anything.
I would search for a generic replacement that may exist. If you are
handy, you may have to change a few wires following a diagram to use
some universal box.

Dave

Feb 25, 2009, 5:03:18 PM2/25/09

"Devo" <george...@humboldt1.com> wrote in message

> we have had the thermostat / cold control box go south. the points inside
> are fried.
> but if they can find us a part it seems mighty pricey. Is this a way to
> sell you a new fridge?
> --

Do you have a part number for this thing? I just ran a froogle for
frigidaire cold control thermostat and found several results, all less than
$100 shipped. A little pricey, but much less than the cost of a new fridge.

Of course, if you have some kind of service guy looking at your fridge, he's
likely to tell you that it costs about twice what he can get it for. -Dvae

Dave Garland

Feb 25, 2009, 5:11:38 PM2/25/09
Devo wrote:
> we have had the thermostat / cold control box go south. the points inside
> are fried.
> but if they can find us a part it seems mighty pricey. Is this a way to
> sell you a new fridge?

I dunno, have you looked elsewhere for a replacement? I've had good
luck buying from Midwest Appliance Parts
(http://www.midwestapplianceparts.com) and I'm sure there are others.
You'll probably need to figure out the part number to look it up,
though. Once you've got the number, try googling on it and you may
come up with some other dealers too.

Dave

Devo

Feb 26, 2009, 7:26:54 AM2/26/09
In article
<georgewkspam-A2B5...@sn-ip.vsrv-sjc.supernews.net>,
Devo <george...@humboldt1.com> wrote:

> we have had the thermostat / cold control box go south. the points inside
> are fried.
> but if they can find us a part it seems mighty pricey. Is this a way to
> sell you a new fridge?

Thanks , all for constructive advice.
Apparently the unit is too old to find parts but I'll going to "match"
said Cold Control at an appliance repair place and offer them $25.
Take it or leave it.
We have found a very nice replacement fridge for $100 . I'm glad we have
a pick-up to go fetch it. I hear it is not good to move them on their
sides.
Thanks again, Group.

OhioGuy

Feb 26, 2009, 5:26:29 PM2/26/09
We have a 1957 model Frigidaire - pink color. Not my choice of
colors, but it was only $100 delivered, compared to $240 for the next
less expensive model. It was a bit noisy, then I finally figured out
that the screws on the back had simply loosened up after 50 years.

The lady who gave it away to the used appliance place said her
husband used to make these, so when he died she kept having it fixed and
kept it in immaculate condition. Seriously, the thing almost looks like
it just came off the assembly line.

When they delivered it, they said "don't call us if you need spare
parrts!", but thankfully it has been 3 years, and no trouble yet. I
figure we've got our $100 out of it. What I really love are the great
features like a kickbar to stomp on to open the freezer, plus a fold out
bread box, and a number of other things I had never seen on a newer
refrigerator.