Re: Ebay Credit Card hassle

Message has been deleted

The Real Bev

Aug 5, 2009, 8:26:32 PM8/5/09
webcompaniessuck wrote:

> I have to use ebay for some difficult to sell items.
>
> I don't want to give these suckers my credit card number.
>
> Is there a way around this? Will prepaid credit card with limit work?

Your credit card company will issue you a time/dollar-limited card number that
you can use.

--
Cheers, Bev (Registered Linux User 85683)
Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Aug 7, 2009, 6:24:37 AM8/7/09

"Shawn Hirn" <sr...@comcast.net> wrote in message
> In article <h5d17g$oid$1...@news.tornevall.net>,

> webcompaniessuck <webcompa...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have to use ebay for some difficult to sell items.
>>
>> I don't want to give these suckers my credit card number.
>>
>> Is there a way around this? Will prepaid credit card with limit work?
>
> Why don't you use Paypal?

You HAVE to use PayPal these days - it's an eBay requirement that PayPal be
a payment option. I can't understand what the OP's issue is. Just tie the
PayPal account to a checking account and get over it. Also, no one will bid
on items being sold by a non-verified (by PayPal) merchant because of the
very high likelihood of fraud. This is eBay 101. Yeesh.

JonquilJan

Aug 10, 2009, 4:45:43 PM8/10/09
Have a question about PayPal. Can't get an answer on the site but perhaps
someone here knows. I gave them my credit card number - and now they also
want my bank account number. Why both?? And if I give them both - which
will be cahrged with any purchases I make using Pay Pal?

Just cautious.

JonquilJan

--
Learn something new every day
As long as you are learning, you are living
"h" <tmc...@searchmachine.com> wrote in message

The Real Bev

Aug 10, 2009, 6:25:36 PM8/10/09
JonquilJan wrote:

> Have a question about PayPal. Can't get an answer on the site but perhaps
> someone here knows. I gave them my credit card number - and now they also
> want my bank account number. Why both?? And if I give them both - which
> will be cahrged with any purchases I make using Pay Pal?

No idea, but I won't give them access to my checking account either. If an
'Ooops!' happens, I want to be able to tell the bank that NOBODY has access to
it except me and my husband.

--
Cheers, Bev
"If the Eskimos have a thousand different words for "snow," does this

Vic Smith

Aug 10, 2009, 6:58:12 PM8/10/09
On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 15:25:36 -0700, The Real Bev
<bashle...@gmail.com> wrote:

>JonquilJan wrote:
>
>> Have a question about PayPal. Can't get an answer on the site but perhaps
>> someone here knows. I gave them my credit card number - and now they also
>> want my bank account number. Why both?? And if I give them both - which
>> will be cahrged with any purchases I make using Pay Pal?
>
>No idea, but I won't give them access to my checking account either. If an
>'Ooops!' happens, I want to be able to tell the bank that NOBODY has access to
>it except me and my husband.
>
>> Just cautious.

When I signed up for Paypal maybe 5 or 6 years ago, you could only do
so many transactions, then you had to give a bank account to get
"Verified." They deposited a couple cents in the account and I
reported back what it was, as I recall.
To answer the question above, there is a "Funding option" when you
make a payment, so you select how you want to pay.
The default is always your bank account, and click to change it to
your credit card. Never found a way to change the default, so you
have to remember to change the option each time.
Forgot once using it hundreds of times.
I have had no problems with Paypal.

--Vic

Rod Speed

Aug 11, 2009, 6:56:14 AM8/11/09
The Real Bev wrote:
> JonquilJan wrote:
>
>> Have a question about PayPal. Can't get an answer on the site but
>> perhaps someone here knows. I gave them my credit card number - and
>> now they also want my bank account number. Why both?? And if I
>> give them both - which will be cahrged with any purchases I make
>> using Pay Pal?
>
> No idea, but I won't give them access to my checking account either.
> If an 'Ooops!' happens, I want to be able to tell the bank that
> NOBODY has access to it except me and my husband.

No reason why you cant have an account just for paypal if you're that paranoid.

>> Just cautious.

Rod Speed

Aug 11, 2009, 6:58:19 AM8/11/09
JonquilJan wrote:

> Have a question about PayPal. Can't get an answer on the site but
> perhaps someone here knows. I gave them my credit card number - and now they also want my bank account number. Why
> both??

Its cheaper for them to do transactions to the bank account.

> And if I give them both - which will be cahrged with any purchases I make using Pay Pal?

You get to specify which to use for a particular payment.

> Just cautious.

Aug 11, 2009, 10:52:19 AM8/11/09

"JonquilJan" <war...@imcnet.net> wrote in message

> Have a question about PayPal. Can't get an answer on the site but perhaps
> someone here knows. I gave them my credit card number - and now they also
> want my bank account number. Why both?? And if I give them both - which
> will be cahrged with any purchases I make using Pay Pal?
>
> Just cautious.

They require you to have "back up" funding. I have mine set up with credit
card first, then bank account second. When I make a payment they always try
to get me to use my bank account instead of my credit card, but I just
confirm that yes, I want to use the card, and then the PayPal charge goes
onto the card. Just make sure the select the correct funding source and then
confirm that, and you'll be fine.

JonquilJan

Aug 11, 2009, 11:51:01 AM8/11/09
Thanks for the input folks. You have answered my questions that the web
site didn't.

JonquilJan

The Real Bev

Aug 11, 2009, 1:12:34 PM8/11/09
Rod Speed wrote:

Checking accounts aren't necessarily free any more. I don't think I've bought
more than a dozen things through ebay in my entire life, and those sellers have
been happy to take the credit card associated with paypal.

If I was a seller I would obviously have to do things differently.

--
Cheers, Bev
Bender: And so I ask you this one question: Have you ever tried simply

Rod Speed

Aug 11, 2009, 2:57:43 PM8/11/09
The Real Bev wrote

> Rod Speed wrote
>> The Real Bev wrote
>>> JonquilJan wrote

>>> No idea, but I won't give them access to my checking account either.
>>> If an 'Ooops!' happens, I want to be able to tell the bank that
>>> NOBODY has access to it except me and my husband.

>> No reason why you cant have an account just for paypal if you're that paranoid.

> Checking accounts aren't necessarily free any more.

There are still free ones around.

> I don't think I've bought more than a dozen things through ebay in my entire life,

You have always been, and always will be, completely and utterly irrelevant.

What you might or might not have bought on ebay in spades.

> and those sellers have been happy to take the credit card associated with paypal.

That has only recently become available.

> If I was a seller I would obviously have to do things differently.

And so a separate check account for paypal would be a perfectly viable approach if you are that paranoid.

The Real Bev

Aug 11, 2009, 6:42:05 PM8/11/09
Rod Speed wrote:

> The Real Bev wrote
>> Rod Speed wrote
>>> The Real Bev wrote

>>> No reason why you cant have an account just for paypal if you're that
>>> paranoid.
>
>> Checking accounts aren't necessarily free any more.
>
> There are still free ones around.
>
>> I don't think I've bought more than a dozen things through ebay in my
>> entire life,
>
> You have always been, and always will be, completely and utterly irrelevant.
>
> What you might or might not have bought on ebay in spades.
>
>> and those sellers have been happy to take the credit card associated with
>> paypal.
>
> That has only recently become available.

When did paypal start? It ALWAYS took credit cards.

>> If I was a seller I would obviously have to do things differently.
>
> And so a separate check account for paypal would be a perfectly viable
> approach if you are that paranoid.

If you insist on paranoid I won't argue too loudly, but I prefer to think of
myself as prudent.

--
Cheers, Bev
=/=\=/=\=/=\=/=\=/=\=/=\=/=\=/=\=/=\=/=\=/=\=/=\=/=\=/=\=/=\=

Rod Speed

Aug 12, 2009, 3:31:52 PM8/12/09
The Real Bev wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> The Real Bev wrote
>>> Rod Speed wrote

>>> Checking accounts aren't necessarily free any more.

>> There are still free ones around.

>>> I don't think I've bought more than a dozen things through ebay in my entire life,

>> You have always been, and always will be, completely and utterly irrelevant.

>> What you might or might not have bought on ebay in spades.

>>> and those sellers have been happy to take the credit card associated with paypal.

>> That has only recently become available.

> When did paypal start? It ALWAYS took credit cards.

You previously had to have a paypal account. You dont anymore,
you can just use a credit card without a paypal account now.

>>> If I was a seller I would obviously have to do things differently.

>> And so a separate check account for paypal would be a perfectly viable approach if you are that paranoid.

> If you insist on paranoid I won't argue too loudly, but I prefer to think of myself as prudent.

You're actually mindlessly paranoid in that regard.

ransack

Aug 16, 2009, 10:45:41 PM8/16/09
On Aug 10, 3:45 pm, "JonquilJan" <war...@imcnet.net> wrote:
> Have a question about PayPal.  Can't get an answer on the site but perhaps
> someone here knows.  I gave them my credit card number - and now they also
> want my bank account number.  Why both??  And if I give them both - which
> will be cahrged with any purchases I make using Pay Pal?
>
> Just cautious.
>
> JonquilJan
>
> --
> Learn something new every day
> As long as you are learning, you are living
> When you stop learning, you start dying"h" <tmcl...@searchmachine.com> wrote in message

> > "Shawn Hirn" <s...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> >> Why don't you use Paypal?
>
> > You HAVE to use PayPal these days - it's an eBay requirement that PayPal
> > be a payment option. I can't understand what the OP's issue is. Just tie
> > the PayPal account to a checking account and get over it. Also, no one
> > will bid on items being sold by a non-verified (by PayPal) merchant
> > because of the very high likelihood of fraud. This is eBay 101. Yeesh.- Hide quoted text -

First don't give them your checking account numbers. If you do you
will get F.
They can take money. You can not get it back if you do. Your bank
won't give your money back to you.

By the way.

eBay Inc. owns PayPal, but in some ways, they remain independent. This
means that, while your PayPal and eBay accounts work together, they
are still managed separately. In some cases, certain things can only
be done at PayPal.com.

So look out.