Calling Cell Phone Numbers Overseas

tb

Jan 16, 2018, 1:49:04 PM1/16/18
I live in the USA and still have an old-fashioned landline to place
calls.

Recently I've started calling my relatives overseas on their cell
phones because they all got rid of their landlines.

The problem is that such calls cost me an arm and a leg. (I use a
company called Primus as my long-distance provider.)

Does anybody have a suggestion as to how I can get the cost of overseas
calls down? PS: Using Skype and other Internet methods is not an
option for me as I am on dialup...

--
tb

ItsJoan NotJoann

Jan 16, 2018, 3:11:44 PM1/16/18
> tb

You may have to resort to a cheap cell phone and buy the minute cards
for it. A 60 minute card for TracFone is about $20.

Here's a thought. Instead of you calling them why don't they call
you?

catalpa

Jan 16, 2018, 8:20:12 PM1/16/18

"tb" <nos...@example.invalid> wrote in message
What countries are you calling?

Look at Google Voice international rates. Some are reasonable for mobile
phone calls.

Nyssa

Jan 17, 2018, 9:43:59 AM1/17/18
Derald wrote:

> "tb" <nos...@example.invalid> wrote:
>

>>Does anybody have a suggestion as to how I can get the
>>cost of overseas
>>calls down? PS: Using Skype and other Internet methods
>>is not an option for me as I am on dialup...
> You can begin by comparing Onesuite's international rates
> to what
> you are now paying. It's a dialaround that works from any
> phone. Caveat: After initial payment, in order to keep it
> active one must place
> a call within six months of the most recent call. I've
> been using the same ten bucks for at least fifteen
> years.... If you have reason to believe those folks
> actually want to talk to
> you, arrange a "callback: You call them but hang up
> before their
> damnable voice mail intercedes. Their phones log
> incoming, including
> missed, calls. If they actually want to talk to you, they
> can call back on their dimes.
> Another alternative is to ditch the land line and port its
> number
> to a low-cost cell service. I 86'd Verizon (now Frontier
> in this part of USA) when it refused to repair or maintain
> my copper hookup in order
> to coerce me on to (far less reliable) FiOS. Ported the
> number to
> PagePlus's "12" service with auto billing. So for
> $10/month plus local tax and e-911 fee, which together
> total $11.22, I have more "talk time"
> than I'll ever want on the Verizon Wireless cellular
> network. Voice mail, SMS, and data are disabled (at the
> source, not on the phone) and so I don't have to deal with
> those nuisances. If your land line provider offers "bare"
> or "naked" Internet, you will be able to keep your dial-up
> Internet access.

I also recommend OneSuite. I've been using them for years.

They take PayPal, which is nice since I don't have to
fork over a credit card number.

I make few long distance calls, so the biggest problem is
to get in that one-call-every-six-months bit, but luckily
OneSuite emails you a notification two weeks before your
account will expire, so I know to make a quick call to an
out of state friend.

I too use a dialup Internet connection. I don't have a cell
phone either, so I'm not giving up my landline without a
fight.

Nyssa, who doesn't trust a cell phone during a long power
outage either

Susan Bugher

Jan 17, 2018, 12:21:56 PM1/17/18
I also have a landline. I use a prepaid "phone card" (dial-around) for
long distance calls and that has worked well for me.There's no
requirement to call.in to keep the card active. Dunno if the
requirements differ from card to card (they have "over 50" on offer). .I
believe there are other web sites that also offer them too.

Prepaid Phone Card Outlet
http://www.prepaidcall.com/home.shtml

Susan

ray.nor...@gmail.com

Aug 11, 2018, 8:40:40 PM8/11/18
When setting up OneSuite account you get some free time by using
promo code/suite deal
"FREEoffer23="

ray.nor...@gmail.com

Aug 11, 2018, 8:41:58 PM8/11/18
That is "FREEoffer23" without = sign

tra...@optonline.net

Aug 13, 2018, 1:51:00 PM8/13/18
That's what I would suggest looking into, calling cards that offer lower
rates to cell phones in the country he's calling. Rates for calls to
cell phones are generally significantly higher, but they will vary from
one company to another and by the country the call is going to.