Ear plugs that work?

KenK

Mar 14, 2015, 1:50:16 PM3/14/15
Anyone found any ear plugs that work? The silicone surface plugs don't seem
to work at all. The foam(?) cylindical ones with the rounded end work very
poorly - quite well if you put your fingers in your ears on top of them but
that's frequently not practical (brand, Mack's). Any I missed? That's all I
saw on the store shelf I tried.

I need something that fits in the ear, not on the surface like ear muffs or
headsets with or without music. I want something I can sleep comfortably
with. The sound generators that make surf or rain or whatever sounds don't
help me much.

Any suggestions?

TIA

Message has been deleted

ItsJoan NotJoann

Mar 15, 2015, 9:26:05 PM3/15/15
On Saturday, March 14, 2015 at 12:50:16 PM UTC-5, KenK wrote:

> Anyone found any ear plugs that work? The silicone surface plugs don't seem
> to work at all. The foam(?) cylindical ones with the rounded end work very
> poorly - quite well if you put your fingers in your ears on top of them but
> that's frequently not practical (brand, Mack's). Any I missed? That's all I
> saw on the store shelf I tried.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> TIA

There is a trick to putting the foam cylindrical type into your ears. Roll one foam earplug between thumb and forefinger with a bit of pressure until it is compressed and _quite_ skinny. When you've gotten it to its skinny state lightly pull the top of your ear, this slightly opens the ear canal, and place the skinny plug into your ear. Give it about 5 minutes and the earplug will return to its normal size and fill the ear canal.

Repeat all steps for your other ear.

KenK

Mar 16, 2015, 12:45:58 PM3/16/15
ItsJoan NotJoann <itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote in

> Give it about 5 minutes and the earplug will return to its normal size
> and fill the ear canal.

Ahhh! I'll bet that's my poblem. I'm expecting them to work right away.
Thanks much!

Ken

21bla...@gmail.com

Mar 16, 2015, 4:54:51 PM3/16/15
I gave up on ear plugs, long ago

I use Cotton Balls
much more convenient, softer...

[or you can try splitting larger cotton balls into two]

marc

ItsJoan NotJoann

Mar 16, 2015, 9:02:07 PM3/16/15
On Monday, March 16, 2015 at 11:45:58 AM UTC-5, KenK wrote:

> ItsJoan NotJoann <itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote in
>
> > Give it about 5 minutes and the earplug will return to its normal size
> > and fill the ear canal.
>
> Ahhh! I'll bet that's my poblem. I'm expecting them to work right away.
> Thanks much!
>
> Ken

You're welcome!

ItsJoan NotJoann

Mar 16, 2015, 9:05:23 PM3/16/15
Try the method I described above.

Shoe-Chucker 2

May 12, 2015, 6:41:48 PM5/12/15
In article <e35228c0-1007-4661...@googlegroups.com>,
they are not OSHA approved if they have been washed.
--
Karma ; what a concept!

ItsJoan NotJoann

May 13, 2015, 2:52:20 AM5/13/15
On Tuesday, May 12, 2015 at 5:41:48 PM UTC-5, Shoe-Chucker 2 wrote:

> they are not OSHA approved if they have been washed.

Who said anything about washing them? Was washing them ever mentioned in the original discussion?

Glad you could join the conversation almost two months after it was originally posted........

hchi...@hotmail.com

May 14, 2015, 3:29:28 PM5/14/15
On Sat, 14 Mar 2015 18:00:00 -0500, Derald <der...@invalid.net> wrote:

>KenK <inv...@invalid.com> wrote:
>
>>I need something that fits in the ear, not on the surface like ear muffs or
>>headsets with or without music. I want something I can sleep comfortably
>>with. The sound generators that make surf or rain or whatever sounds don't
>>help me much.
>>
>>Any suggestions?
> I have for years used a product called, "Flent's Ear Stopples", to
>virtually eliminate power tool noise, though, don't know whether they'd
>be acceptable for sleep wear. A quick google brought up a number of
>online sources and I went no further. Ear Stopples consist of bubble
>gum shaped cotton batting impregnated with wax. I find one to be enough
>for two ears. Once in the ear, body heat softens the wax enough to
>enable a complete seal. The number of times they may be reused is
>largely limited to ones gross-out level, as they pick up grunge over
>time (wax, remember?). I've had the same package since 1975 (really)
>and have two unused "units" yet, although the package long ago
>disintegrated. Major "con": Ear Stopples leave slightly waxy feeling
>residue behind.

Mr. Miagi say: "Wax on, wax off. Wax on, wax off."

Soon you ears will be polished to a nice shine.

Beaver...@live.com

May 14, 2015, 3:47:46 PM5/14/15
I wrap my earplugs in a (clean) sock and throw them in any other kind but Staber washing machine. Sometimes I will pull out earplugs at a show and they will look all grody on the end and I will hope no one is looking at them when I put them in.