Need help quick

Marsha

Jan 15, 2009, 8:16:00 PM1/15/09
It's been really cold here, below zero, and we have about a foot of snow
on the ground. Our 12-year-lab was just outside for less than one
minute and she started limping from the cold. We bought booties for her
a couple years ago, because she had the same problem, but they started
leaking and we threw them out. We also thought, in retrospect, that the
problem was salt on her paws, so we didn't replace the booties. We now
know it wasn't a salt problem. I plan on getting new booties tomorrow
after work, but that doesn't help now. Anyone have any quick solutions
to keep her paws from freezing when she has to go out?

Thanks a bunch.
Marsha

im.1.max...@xoxy.net

Jan 15, 2009, 8:37:40 PM1/15/09

That's what dogs do in cold. She will be OK. But you can use some old
socks and rubberbands on her feet. Kid's socks would work nicely. It's
not so much that ice and snow get in her feet as it is the cold on the
pads of her feet. Dogs get soft like people. As I say, the short time
will only be an inconvenience to her.

Steve Daniels

Jan 15, 2009, 9:05:14 PM1/15/09
On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 20:16:00 -0500, against all advice, something
compelled Marsha <m...@xeb.net>, to say:

> Anyone have any quick solutions
> to keep her paws from freezing when she has to go out?

Cut up an old towel, and tie the pieces onto her paws.
--

Real men don't text.

hchi...@hotmail.com

Jan 15, 2009, 10:54:30 PM1/15/09

I have the same problem...

How cold was it? I saw a dog stuck to a fire hydrant...

One minute isn't going to be an issue. Put a tablespoon of brandy in
her water and warm her up when she comes in.

Marsha

Jan 15, 2009, 9:57:52 PM1/15/09

It's 8 below. Are you serious about the brandy? I assumed that
freezing paw pads were painful and, since she has some arthritis in her
spine, I don't want her any more uncomfortable than necessary. She
doesn't have the ice or snow clumps in between her toes, so that's not
the problem. So far, I think the sock/rubber band idea might work
temporarily.
Thanks,
Marsha

MarieD

Jan 16, 2009, 9:38:52 AM1/16/09
"Marsha" <m...@xeb.net> wrote in message news:gkot3h$aas$1...@news.datemas.de...

> It's 8 below. Are you serious about the brandy? I assumed that freezing
> paw pads were painful and, since she has some arthritis in her spine, I
> don't want her any more uncomfortable than necessary. She doesn't have
> the ice or snow clumps in between her toes, so that's not the problem. So
> far, I think the sock/rubber band idea might work temporarily.

You can try having a warm towel ready at the door for her to walk on. I keep
a towel at the back door on the floor for my dogs to walk across as they
come in the door so most of the water gets off their feet. If you put a
towel in the dryer, it would be very warm for her to stand on when she comes
in.
Marie

hchi...@hotmail.com

Jan 16, 2009, 12:46:01 PM1/16/09

If she is only out for a minute or less, then her pads shouldn't
freeze. If you want her to be out longer, then socks make sense.
Alcohol dialates blood vessels, which is why you shouldn't drink
before going out, but can warm up faster with a nip after coming in.
I'm pretty sure the mechanisms in dogs are similar, but getting a dog
to drink might be a problem. That small amount would just take the
curse off.

I'm thinking the closed cell blue foam sold for mats under sleeping
bags would make great booties for a dog. Just cut n hot glue them to
shape.

Jan 16, 2009, 3:18:36 PM1/16/09

<hchi...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> I'm thinking the closed cell blue foam sold for mats under sleeping
> bags would make great booties for a dog. Just cut n hot glue them to
> shape.

Ok, you mean hot gluing the foam to the bottom of SOCKS, right? Not the
dog's feet?

hchi...@hotmail.com

Jan 16, 2009, 7:18:49 PM1/16/09
On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 15:18:36 -0500, "h" <tmc...@searchmachine.com>
wrote:

Yeah, into socks. Unless you had a blue tack hound. :-)

Jan 17, 2009, 7:22:37 AM1/17/09

<hchi...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Phew! I just wanted to clarify since I'm sure there are people stupid enough
to try to hot glue something directly to their poor doggie's feet!