Source (online?) for whole wheat flour

dmus...@pacbell.net

Jan 26, 2009, 5:04:24 PM1/26/09
I was reading reviews of bread machines at Amazon.com and someone said
they bought 25 lb. bags of organic whole wheat flour for ~ $0.50/lb.
net. The post was in 2006. I don't recall the name of the company, but
going to their website I see that the cheapest organic whole wheat flour
there now is ~$0.80/lb for 25 lb. and that's before shipping.

I live in Berkeley CA and am looking for an economical source of whole
wheat flour. I've been getting mine at the Berkeley Bowl, but the
cheapest they have is $1.39/lb. What are some good sources?

Dan

PS I've been getting bread flour at Costco in 50 lb. bags, but I don't
believe they sell whole wheat, at least economically.

Melba's Jammin'

Jan 26, 2009, 6:05:46 PM1/26/09
In article <a5csn4lbnigrjs243...@4ax.com>,
dmus...@pacbell.net wrote:

Is there a food co-op where you could check? Mine gives a discount for
a case purchase (maybe a 'case' of whole wheat flour is a 50# bag or
something like that -- just an example). Prices have gone *way* up in
the last 6-9 months or so.

Any farm towns nearby (all things are relative)? Try to find a feed
mill and see what they've got to offer.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller

Tony Sivori

Jan 27, 2009, 1:02:19 AM1/27/09
On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 14:04:24 -0800, dmusicant wrote:

> I was reading reviews of bread machines at Amazon.com and someone said
> they bought 25 lb. bags of organic whole wheat flour for ~ $0.50/lb.
> net. The post was in 2006. I don't recall the name of the company, but
> going to their website I see that the cheapest organic whole wheat flour
> there now is ~$0.80/lb for 25 lb. and that's before shipping.

Good luck. I work in food manufacturing, and the company I work for buys
flour by the rail car loads. Which is how I happen to know that flour
costs have risen dramatically in the past year.

http://www.redorbit.com/news/science/1374352/price_of_flour_is_rising_fast/index.html

If the above link wraps:

http://tinyurl.com/acgkbj

--
Tony Sivori

Kswck

Jan 27, 2009, 7:15:09 AM1/27/09

Kswck

Jan 27, 2009, 7:16:29 AM1/27/09

Kswck

Jan 27, 2009, 7:18:57 AM1/27/09

<dmus...@pacbell.net> wrote in message

Maybe you can make a deal with the local bakery?

Unknown

Jan 27, 2009, 10:52:36 PM1/27/09
On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 07:18:57 -0500, "Kswck" <ks...@optonline.net> wrote:

:
:<dmus...@pacbell.net> wrote in message

:
That may be the best idea. The online sources I've managed to find have
a hefty shipping fee. For instance, I found a 25 lb bag of whole wheat
flour for 12 dollars and change, but the shipping brought the 50
cents/lb up to $1.36/lb. I can buy organic whole wheat flour at my local
market for $1.39/lb (as stated above), and any quantity I want, so it's
not worth it for me to buy online unless I can find a much better deal.
I figure I'll have to avoid shipping to get good deals. I know there
must be many local people who bake in their kitches regularly and some
of them have certainly looked into this. I just don't know right now how
to meet these people.

Dan

Gary Heston

Jan 27, 2009, 11:10:24 PM1/27/09
In article <ddlvn4d7jp46g5k3i...@4ax.com>,
m...@privacy.net <Dan Musicant> wrote:
[ ... ]

>That may be the best idea. The online sources I've managed to find have
>a hefty shipping fee. For instance, I found a 25 lb bag of whole wheat
>flour for 12 dollars and change, but the shipping brought the 50
>cents/lb up to $1.36/lb. I can buy organic whole wheat flour at my local
>market for $1.39/lb (as stated above), and any quantity I want, so it's
>not worth it for me to buy online unless I can find a much better deal.
>I figure I'll have to avoid shipping to get good deals. I know there
>must be many local people who bake in their kitches regularly and some
>of them have certainly looked into this. I just don't know right now how
>to meet these people.

Have you tried calling wholesale grocery distributors?

Ask your local Subways where they get whole-wheat flour?

Ask bakeries where they get their supplies? (Might help if you're buying
something, like a few dozen donuts.)

Gary

--
Gary Heston ghe...@hiwaay.net http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

"Behind every successful woman there is an astonished man"
General of the Army (four stars) Ann Dunwoody