LAMINATE FLOORING ON BERBER CARPET

1 view

ROBERT...@sbcglobal.net

Dec 11, 2008, 5:31:59 AM12/11/08
I am gearing up to lay laminate flooring in my living room, dining
room, and hall. I live one floor up in a 42 year old condo. The
subfloor is concrete slab covered with padding and berber carpet. Can
I install the laminate over the berber carpet? If so, would I need to
install a vapor barrier between the carpet and the laminate? Thanks.

max

Dec 11, 2008, 6:14:20 AM12/11/08
In article
<45be5fb3-3506-478c...@v42g2000yqj.googlegroups.com>,
"ROBERT...@SBCGLOBAL.NET" <ROBERT...@SBCGLOBAL.NET> wrote:

don't post drunk.

--
This signature can be appended to your outgoing mesages. Many people include in
their signatures contact information, and perhaps a joke or quotation.

Gary Heston

Dec 11, 2008, 6:58:07 PM12/11/08
>I am gearing up to lay laminate flooring in my living room, dining
>room, and hall. I live one floor up in a 42 year old condo. The
>subfloor is concrete slab covered with padding and berber carpet. Can
>I install the laminate over the berber carpet?

Only if you want to do it over in 4-6 weeks. That's not anywhere near
an adequate base for laminate.

> If so, would I need to
>install a vapor barrier between the carpet and the laminate? Thanks.

You'll need a vapor barrier in any case, but the carpet and pad have to
go, first. Here's some info on how to install laminate flooring:

http://www.doityourself.com/scat/laminateinstallation

The home centers that sell the stuff should have instructions, and may
have classes on how to install it. Ask them.

Gary

--
Gary Heston ghe...@hiwaay.net http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

"Behind every successful woman there is an astonished man"
General of the Army (four stars) Ann Dunwoody