Credit Card Question

Beaver Fever

Feb 13, 2021, 6:50:44 PM2/13/21
I got an airline card with generous spend fast and get miles incentive.

So I bought a load of event based inventory right up to my credit limit, then paid off the balance, got the miles and booked the flights.

Awesome, right?

Well in the era of Covid, events get cancelled left and right. So, what happens if all that money goes right back to the card? They keep it (as I never carry a balance), and I have to spend it as credit or I can move it back to my bank account but they hit me back for the flights?

What happens?

John Weiss

Feb 13, 2021, 7:16:44 PM2/13/21
Which airline? They all have different rules. Check their web site or
call customer service. On some airlines, all you have to do is change
the flight on line.

Beaver Fever

Feb 14, 2021, 11:20:38 AM2/14/21
Not changing the flight, I mean what happens when all the events I bought tickets to get cancelled and the money is refunded but the miles were redeemed and used.

John Weiss

Feb 14, 2021, 1:01:46 PM2/14/21
On 02/14/21 08:20, Beaver Fever wrote:

>>> So I bought a load of event based inventory right up to my credit limit, then paid off the balance, got the miles and booked the flights.
>>>
>>> Well in the era of Covid, events get cancelled left and right. So, what happens if all that money goes right back to the card? They keep it (as I never carry a balance), and I have to spend it as credit or I can move it back to my bank account but they hit me back for the flights?
>>>
>>> What happens?

>> Which airline? They all have different rules. Check their web site or
>> call customer service. On some airlines, all you have to do is change
>> the flight on line.
>
> Not changing the flight, I mean what happens when all the events I bought tickets to get cancelled and the money is refunded but the miles were redeemed and used.

Miles are also refunded in most cases.

Beaver Fever

Feb 14, 2021, 5:57:13 PM2/14/21
Right. so when the miles are refunded back to the credit card company, because they were earned with purchases of tickets to events that no longer take place and my money refunded, but the miles were already used ...

what then?

I only got this stupid card because they offered the miles and I spent the money required in a snap but it's back to Amex Gold now that I got the flights.

John Weiss

Feb 15, 2021, 9:51:22 AM2/15/21
On 02/14/21 14:57, Beaver Fever wrote:

>>> Not changing the flight, I mean what happens when all the events I bought tickets to get cancelled and the money is refunded but the miles were redeemed and used.
>> Miles are also refunded in most cases.
>
> Right. so when the miles are refunded back to the credit card company, because they were earned with purchases of tickets to events that no longer take place and my money refunded, but the miles were already used ...
>
> what then?

Have you tried asking the credit card company? How are we supposed to
know the answer when we don't know the card or the airline?!?