the electronic cigarette: a good buy?

Woody

Feb 2, 2009, 3:16:17 PM2/2/09
This is obviously addressed to smokers. Anti-smoking Nazis wishing to preach
on the evils of smoking are free to reply in another thread, preferably with
the header "I'm an anti-smoking Nazi."

I'm wondering if electronic cigarettes are a good buy. Up here cigarettes
are quite expensive, plus you can't smoke indoors almost anywhere. If you
use an electronic cigarette, has there been a problem with you smoking it
on, for example, a long bus ride?

Woody

albu...@mailinator.com

Feb 2, 2009, 4:30:15 PM2/2/09

It seems like a good idea for everyone, no second hand smoke and
convenient for the smoker.
This is a new concept in smoking. It looks just like a cigarette. I
wonder if some facilities would prevent using it out of ignorance of
the fact that there is no smoke. Also, would there be liability on the
e-smoker's behalf if an observer gave himself a hernia laughing when
they discovered an adult using such a product. Will school children be
allowed to use e-cigarettes?

I look forward to some genuine responses to these issues.

Coffee's For Closers

Feb 2, 2009, 5:25:42 PM2/2/09
In article <owIhl.183120$9i5....@en-nntp-07.dc1.easynews.com>,
em...@munged.com says...

They might get kind of expensive if you are one of those smokers
who automatically flicks/drops/tosses the butt, as a reflexive
part of the smoking ritual.

Those types remind me of monkeys flinging turds.

--
Want Privacy?
http://www.MinistryOfPrivacy.com/

NoSpa...@lousyisp.gov

Feb 2, 2009, 10:46:53 PM2/2/09
albu...@mailinator.com wrote:

>On Feb 2, 3:16 pm, "Woody" <em...@munged.com> wrote:
>> This is obviously addressed to smokers. Anti-smoking Nazis wishing to preach
>> on the evils of smoking are free to reply in another thread, preferably with
>> the header "I'm an anti-smoking Nazi."
>>
>> I'm wondering if electronic cigarettes are a good buy. Up here cigarettes
>> are quite expensive, plus you can't smoke indoors almost anywhere. If you
>> use an electronic cigarette, has there been a problem with you smoking it
>> on, for example, a long bus ride?

>It seems like a good idea for everyone, no second hand smoke and
>convenient for the smoker.

My last (real) cigarette was in August 08. I hated the "holier than
thou" preachings of the anti-smoking nazis and even though covered at
100% I refused the goody-two-shoes "help you stop smoking" products on
the market including the big guns from Pfizer (which seems to have
some side effects problems) and bupropion and the extortionately
expensive OTC products. All of them expect you to be a good boy and
stop this horrible habit. Well, f... them! I like smoking or at least
the effects of nicotine. Then, purely by chance, I was checking Google
for a nicotine inhalant... maybe someone made such a thing... and I
came across the e-cigs. Wow! All the good and none of the bad.

Does it work? Work in the sense of giving me the high/low relief from
stress that I seek. Yes! Absolutely! Some people claim the taste is
not the same but that doesn't worry me and in any event there are
dozens of different flavors and at least five levels of nicotine. You
have to experiment to find what is best for you.

Further you don't really inhale an e-cig like you do cigarettes. With
a cigarette you smoke for 7 to 10 min and then not again for an hour
or so (5 minutes if really stressed out <g>). With the e-cig you take
two or three puffs and then put it down. 10 minutes (or an hour)
later, another two or three puffs; Or, you can OD by just puffing away
continuously. The latter, if indulged at a high nicotine level, can
make you nauseous and even at lower levels can cause diarrhea. The
only serious bad health consequence is a rise of around 6mm of mercury
in BP but this is trivial.

What they don't want you to know is that there are a series of health
plusses for nicotine including the prevention of Parkinsonism and
raising the pain threshold. Look around for a medical book in the
endocrinology series called "Nicotinic Receptors" which explains (if
you have a degree in biology) what nicotine does in the body and why
it's beneficial. Nicotine is not the problem with smoking--the other
constituents of the smoke are.

>This is a new concept in smoking. It looks just like a cigarette. I
>wonder if some facilities would prevent using it out of ignorance of
>the fact that there is no smoke.

So far I haven't had a problem either on public transport, in a
supermarket, or a restaurant but I can well see the control freaks
freaking out. No one to control anymore. I even took a puff in the
PCP's examining room right in front of him. His eyes popped but then
when I explained he was most impressed and wrote down all the details.
He understood the anti-control freak advantages.

> Also, would there be liability on the
>e-smoker's behalf if an observer gave himself a hernia laughing when
>they discovered an adult using such a product. Will school children be
>allowed to use e-cigarettes?

They say they're not for sale to children but I don't see how this can
be legally enforced. Again the control freaks are probably working on
the issue now.

>I look forward to some genuine responses to these issues.

Personally I would prefer something that looks more like an asthma
inhaler. That way you would confuse the hell out of the anti-smoking
people. If you get one look around and buy the one with the blue
light. Also prices vary widely for essentially the same thing.

albu...@mailinator.com

Feb 3, 2009, 10:38:52 AM2/3/09
On Feb 2, 10:46 pm, NoSpamFo...@LousyISP.gov wrote:

Very complete and informative post nospam.
This produce needs more exposure.
In my state, they would soon find a way to overtax it.

ecig...@gmail.com

Feb 3, 2009, 9:18:30 PM2/3/09
Some bars have banned it because they look too much like real
cigarette. They worry in a crowded bar, someone will see it being
'vaped' and spark up a real one thinking that is allowed:
http://www.startribune.com/local/38755722.html?elr=KArks:DCiUHc3E7_V_nDaycUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUU

Others have embraced them and use them as a way to attract back
smokers:
http://www.thisiskent.co.uk/hernebay/Bay-pub-landlord-sells-electronic-cigarettes/article-652872-detail/article.html

Some of the models don't emit any vapour if it's inhaled but to be
honest with any of them if you keep the vapour inhaled long enough,
there will be none on exhale so you can get away with it anywhere if
you're sneaky. Best advice is to ask when you want to use it where you
are not sure about it being permitted. Some of the kits come with
little cards you can hand out. The myth is that there is no smell, but
really there is a faint scent that people can pick up on - it's
stronger with different flavours and I've noticed that if I have my
heating turned on the car, the smell will be stronger.

The other myth is that it the vapour is 'only water vapour'. It's not
- What makes the vapour appear as smoke is propylene glycol - the same
chemical used to make fog in fog machines though the Chinese
manufacturers promise that they only use food grade PG which of course
is hard to verify.

Also the World Health Organisation recently replied to a member of an
e-cig forum that it would be advising member nations that electronic
cigarettes "not be exempted from clean air laws that restriction
restrict cigarette smoke exposure until adequate evidence is provided
to assure the regulatory authority that use of the product will not
expose people to toxic emissions.".

For more links: http://www.e-cignews.com

albu...@mailinator.com

Feb 4, 2009, 11:58:22 AM2/4/09
On Feb 3, 9:18 pm, ecign...@gmail.com wrote:
> Some bars have banned it because they look too much like real
> cigarette. They worry in a crowded bar, someone will see it being
> 'vaped' and spark up a real one thinking that is allowed:http://www.startribune.com/local/38755722.html?elr=KArks:DCiUHc3E7_V_...

> Others have embraced them and use them as a way to attract back
> smokers:http://www.thisiskent.co.uk/hernebay/Bay-pub-landlord-sells-electroni...

> Some of the models don't emit any vapour if it's inhaled but to be
> honest with any of them if you keep the vapour inhaled long enough,
> there will be none on exhale so you can get away with it anywhere if
> you're sneaky. Best advice is to ask when you want to use it where you
> are not sure about it being permitted. Some of the kits come with
> little cards you can hand out. The myth is that there is no smell, but
> really there is a faint scent that people can pick up on - it's
> stronger with different flavours and I've noticed that if I have my
> heating turned on the car, the smell will be stronger.
>
> The other myth is that it the vapour is 'only water vapour'. It's not
> - What makes the vapour appear as smoke is propylene glycol - the same
> chemical used to make fog in fog machines though the Chinese
> manufacturers promise that they only use food grade PG which of course
> is hard to verify.
>
> Also the World Health Organisation recently replied to a member of an
> e-cig forum that it would be advising member nations that electronic
> cigarettes "not be exempted from clean air laws that restriction
> restrict cigarette smoke exposure until adequate evidence is provided
> to assure the regulatory authority that use of the product will not
> expose people to toxic emissions.".
>
> For more links:http://www.e-cignews.com

At this point, I'd have to learn more before I would care to inhale
the second hand vapor from these things. It could end up being yet
another form of toxin with unintended consequences. The Chinese have
proven they don't care about health.